PDA

View Full Version : Squawking Scorries time again

Chillie
27-Mar-06, 16:12
That blasted scorries are back to their squawking all night again, I thought the council was getting some of them culled last year. Give me a gun id pop of a few no bother.:mad:

scorrie
27-Mar-06, 16:17
That blasted scorries are back to their squawking all night again, I thought the council was getting some of them culled last year. Give me a gun id pop of a few no bother.:mad:

Watch they don't scoot on yee from a high height ;o)

ps no need for a cull, there are enough here already ;o)

MadPict
27-Mar-06, 16:26
Hahahahaha - and I thought it was just me. We have the equivalent of scorries round here but they're black. The crows nest in a tree at the foot of the garden - this year we have two nests and at 5am they start their "kraa-kraa-kraa" - they couldn't choose the tree in the middle of the field, they had to move in "next door".....:(

Billy Boy
27-Mar-06, 18:46

Maybe they are just full o the joy's o spring????:o

Chillie
27-Mar-06, 18:49
[quote=billy boy]Maybe they are just full o the joy's o spring????:o[/quot

If got my way they would be full of lead shot[disgust]

Billy Boy
27-Mar-06, 18:56
just think it could be worse.....you could be living in a caravan with the blighters running across the roof.... believe me that would drive you mad[mad]

knightofeth
27-Mar-06, 18:59
Why should they be culled just because they annoy you? Just ignore them!

Chillie
27-Mar-06, 19:40
I know they are only squawking just now but wait till the young has hatched then they start to dive and swop, my boy got hit on the back of the head by one 2 years ago.[mad]

connieb19
27-Mar-06, 19:42
just think it could be worse.....you could be living in a caravan with the blighters running across the roof.... believe me that would drive you mad[mad]Even worse, they could be in the tent with you!![mad]

angela5
28-Mar-06, 00:47
They can be a pest i admit..good alarm clock though:mad: there's a scorrie that comes and taps it's beak on my kitchen window..i think if i open the window wide enough he would come in!![para]

Bingobabe
28-Mar-06, 00:53
I know they are only squawking just now but wait till the young has hatched then they start to dive and swop, my boy got hit on the back of the head by one 2 years ago.[mad]Yip it happened to me several times im petriffed of them.swoopers of:evil satan that they are:evil lol heheheheheh[lol]

Julia
28-Mar-06, 11:41
I don't mind them at all, they nest on my chimney year after year and I've not had problems with swooping, quite lucky in that respect as it can be quite dangerous. I probably stand alone on this but I think they are quite beautiful birds, looks wise and not habits I hasten to add LOL

I have one who regulary taps on my windows in the better weather, we have named him Steven after Steven Segal.

Billy Boy
28-Mar-06, 12:25
Even worse, they could be in the tent with you!![mad]even worse, you could be in the tent blasting off. i be like that poor sod in the sand except stuck in a sleeping bag!!! YOU COULD PUT NASA TO SHAME.:eek:

Chillie
28-Mar-06, 13:20
Friday, 27 July, 2001, 11:06 GMT 12:06 UK Gulls are gonna get you

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1455000/images/_1459804_gull_300.gif
The headlines shriek warnings about the rising gull menace, and now a marauding bird has seen off Royal Mail posties in central London. Why are seagull attacks on the increase?
Heading for the seaside this summer? Then hang on to your chips, the gulls are back in town.
July has been a busy month for grumpy gulls. First a pet dog was pecked to death in Devon, then several pensioners suffered cuts and gashes in a string of bird strikes in seaside towns.
What have gulls ever given us?
Flock of Seagulls haircuts
Gull-wing cars
Eric Cantona's quote comparing the media to seagulls

Now, posties are refusing to deliver mail to a quiet mews in central London following attacks by a vicious seagull.
Dr John Firth, who lives in the mews, describes the suspect as a "slightly psycho herring gull" that has taken up residence on a neighbour's roof.
Not only does the gull appear to be angered by the red mail bags, Dr Firth told BBC Radio Four's Today programme that he saw the bird dive-bomb someone heading for the local pub.
At this time of year - the height of the nesting season - the gulls in question may be mother birds trying to protect their chicks.
Beaked and dangerous
But seagulls are also scavengers, attracted to resort towns in increasing numbers because of the easy pickings to be had from snacking holidaymakers.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1455000/images/_1459804_gull150bbc.jpg "Feed me"

Gull numbers are up about 7% a year in our towns, but the total population is 40% lower than 25 years ago.
The more they gorge on discarded chips and sandwiches, the less inclined they'll be to look for fish.
Peter Exley, of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, says as humans further encroach on the sea and coastal hills, gulls find it easier to live in urban areas.
"There is evidence that some gulls are becoming less scared of humans as they're getting fed by them and more used to being around them.
"An animal that's lost its fear can be dangerous. They've got a two-inch long beak and they will use it." You have been warned.

Just the point I was making[smirk]

golach
28-Mar-06, 14:25
Friday, 27 July, 2001, 11:06 GMT 12:06 UK Gulls are gonna get you
The headlines shriek warnings about the rising gull menace, and now a marauding bird has seen off Royal Mail posties in central London. Why are seagull attacks on the increase?
Heading for the seaside this summer? Then hang on to your chips, the gulls are back in town.
July has been a busy month for grumpy gulls. First a pet dog was pecked to death in Devon, then several pensioners suffered cuts and gashes in a string of bird strikes in seaside towns.
What have gulls ever given us?
Flock of Seagulls haircuts
Gull-wing cars
Eric Cantona's quote comparing the media to seagulls

Now, posties are refusing to deliver mail to a quiet mews in central London following attacks by a vicious seagull.
Dr John Firth, who lives in the mews, describes the suspect as a "slightly psycho herring gull" that has taken up residence on a neighbour's roof.
Not only does the gull appear to be angered by the red mail bags, Dr Firth told BBC Radio Four's Today programme that he saw the bird dive-bomb someone heading for the local pub.
At this time of year - the height of the nesting season - the gulls in question may be mother birds trying to protect their chicks.
Beaked and dangerous
But seagulls are also scavengers, attracted to resort towns in increasing numbers because of the easy pickings to be had from snacking holidaymakers.
Gull numbers are up about 7% a year in our towns, but the total population is 40% lower than 25 years ago.
The more they gorge on discarded chips and sandwiches, the less inclined they'll be to look for fish.
Peter Exley, of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, says as humans further encroach on the sea and coastal hills, gulls find it easier to live in urban areas.
"There is evidence that some gulls are becoming less scared of humans as they're getting fed by them and more used to being around them.
"An animal that's lost its fear can be dangerous. They've got a two-inch long beak and they will use it." You have been warned.

Just the point I was making

Chillie, a wee question?.....is there any beastie you do like, you openly say you dont like cats, now you dislike Seagulls....is there anything that walks on four legs or flys that you do like?

obiron
28-Mar-06, 14:35
seagulls dinna bother me until they make a mess of my washing or my lovely clean hair then i ggrrrr. whats wrong with not liking cats not a big fan of them myself prefer dogs. everyone is different if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place with nothing to talk about.

Chillie
28-Mar-06, 14:46
Chillie, a wee question?.....is there any beastie you do like, you openly say you dont like cats, now you dislike Seagulls....is there anything that walks on four legs or flys that you do like?

I never said I dislike scorries, just they are a pest at this time of year,to have you know in my younger day's I was a keen ornithologist as well as a member of the YOC and RSPB. I love all all God's creature's, however I do have a dislike to the humble, smelly, flee ridden moggy because, when I was a child a cat jumped on my back and threw me to the ground, hence my dislike for them.[evil]

golach
28-Mar-06, 15:04
I never said I dislike scorries, just they are a pest at this time of year,to have you know in my younger day's I was a keen ornithologist as well as a member of the YOC and RSPB. I love all all God's creature's, however I do have a dislike to the humble, smelly, flee ridden moggy because, when I was a child a cat jumped on my back and threw me to the ground, hence my dislike for them.[evil]
Lol Chillie, my wee heart bleeds for you, it must hev been a beeg cat :lol:

Chillie
28-Mar-06, 15:13
Lol Chillie, my wee heart bleeds for you, it must hev been a beeg cat :lol:

Thank's yer so kind, no it wisna a beeg cat, I wis a wee bairn.:~( :~( [lol]

connieb19
28-Mar-06, 18:51
even worse, you could be in the tent blasting off. i be like that poor sod in the sand except stuck in a sleeping bag!!! YOU COULD PUT NASA TO SHAME.:eek:He loved it, couldn't you tell by the look on his face. [para]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Mar-06, 22:03
Why do scorries swoop down on ye.I know that their nesting.But when I'm walking to work some Scorries swoop,but some don't.

The Assembly Rooms Scorries are the worst....has it got somethin' to dae wi' culture.

Maybe their the one's that hae the computers.Go on the org. everynight,say to one another,"look theirs that eejit Cedric who posts in his Ayrshire accent......lets get him!!!!:lol: