PDA

View Full Version : Maxine Carr - Stupid or Evil

squidge
06-Dec-03, 01:23
I have been watching this trial with interest and wondered what people are thinking.

Maxine Carr says she has been compared to Myra Hindley and that she will not be blamed for the deaths of the girls - what do we think?

Partan
06-Dec-03, 16:00
I have only what was reported in the press and on TV/Radio to go by; so I'm going to wait for the considered view of the jury who have heard the totality of available evidence.

trinkie
06-Dec-03, 16:15
None of us know yet. Let's wait and see.

Gizmo
06-Dec-03, 22:11
Stupid...just totally stupid, thats what she is, comparing her to Myra Hindley is just pure ignorance, she has been charged with trying to pervert the course of justice, not murder, the prosecution have made it clear from the start that Maxine Carr didnt have anything to do with the girls deaths and that she was many miles away from Soham at the time of the murders, i have no symapathy for her what so ever and if she did have any knowledge of Huntleys actions prior to him being charged then may she suffer eternely for it, personally i believe she didnt, but even if she is found not guilty by the jury it's not going to do her any good, she's already had a 'Trial By Media' and been found guilty so she wont be safe on any street in the Uk.

Gizmo

Oh and one last thing, i bet if she was a pretty blonde she wouldnt have had the trial by jury that she has had, it's just that she's a bit mingin with really bad hair so it's easy to create sensationalist headlines around her image

©Amethyst
07-Dec-03, 22:34
Sorry, but this is a little off-topic - Gizmo, blonde's don't always get things lightly.

On-topic... I'd rather wait and see what the results of the trial is before I pass judgment.

Gizmo
08-Dec-03, 00:17
On-topic... I'd rather wait and see what the results of the trial is before I pass judgment.

Why?? are you afraid to have an opinion before 12 complete strangers decide on her guilt or innocence??, how naive can you possibly get?

Colin Manson
08-Dec-03, 16:56

Why?? are you afraid to have an opinion before 12 complete strangers decide on her guilt or innocence??, how naive can you possibly get?

Gizmo,

Yep I think that is exactly what Amethyst said and I'm pretty sure most folks would agree with her, after all those strangers are at least going to be told the facts of the case and not the fiction that is printed in the news papers. You were asking about being naive?

Gizmo
08-Dec-03, 20:18
I very rarely read newspapers, as you point out, most of it is fiction, but i have been following the case on Sky News where they have been reporting the 'Facts' of the case and that is from where i have formed my opinion

golach
08-Dec-03, 20:46
Gizmo,
sorry mate if the Sky Media group is your source of so called "Facts", then you have a short memory, wasn't one of their so called "Facts" from inside one of HM Submarines allegedly up the Persian Gulf firing Cruise Missiles, when it was still tied up in Devonport docks. I would not believe anything that Media lot spouts
Golach

©Amethyst
09-Dec-03, 01:23
Gizmo,
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Goodbye, everyone. I'll not post here any more since I seem to be annoying people, such as the likes of Gizmo. I'll not name others.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone in my time on these forums.

JAWS
09-Dec-03, 01:38
Amethyst,
You certainly ain't offended me.

One thing you must remember - your opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.

Sometimes offending people can have a positive result, at least it can if they have any brains. It's happened to me in the past and when I've stopped and thought about it I've ended up looking at things from a different point of view.

Besides, I think you will find more people will agree with you than not!

Partan
09-Dec-03, 08:19
Goodbye, everyone. I'll not post here any more since I seem to be annoying people, such as the likes of Gizmo. I'll not name others.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone in my time on these forums.

Amethyst

I have never been offended by you - though irritated on occasion :D But then I've probably irritated you more than once :D

Don't worry about Gizmo. He/she has demonstrated his/her talents for offensive postings in other threads on this board.

Stay - the board needs young, blonde, INTELLIGENT, occasionally scatterbrained posters :D :D

Partan

golach
09-Dec-03, 13:55
Amethyst, dont you dare pack in, you have as much right to you views as do any of us,
I agree whole heartedly with Partan, it would be a sad day in the Message boards if you packed in.
You have to have a thick skin also :lol:
Golach

trinkie
09-Dec-03, 14:55
Amethyst I value your contribution too so please keep going.

sassylass
11-Dec-03, 01:44

Anonymous
11-Dec-03, 10:33
hasn't this thread got the title:

Maxine Carr - Stupid or Evil

????

golach
11-Dec-03, 20:53
Naill,
it is and we are all awaiting the verdict of the jury, and not the tired tiraid of some of our contributers, calling others naive because they dared to put their feelings in words
Golach

squidge
12-Dec-03, 01:12
hey i started this because i am genuinely interested in what people were thinking.

I believe that it is a useful thing to discuss the merits of cases on occasions where there has been so much reporting and such public interest. I am not suggesting we hold a kangaroo court or anything just have an interesting, intelligent, challenging discussion on the subject. I know we only get our facts from the newspapers and the tv but i cant imagine that you all have NO opinion on the case and those of us that read one type of newspaper will maybe have a different slant than those who read another type, those of us that watch one news programme will have a different idea than those that watch another

Discussing such cases often leads into a wider discussion about the law or court proceedings and that can often be a more interesting subject than the original, more specific topic.

I am sorry that it seemed to generate a huffiness in a few people and i am truly sorry that amethyst says she is going she is a sweetie - i would be interested in her opinion and i am not the only one.

munron
12-Dec-03, 09:11
I have been following this case daily on the Beeb website and it appears to be just the facts they are reporting without the sensationalism. I feel that Maxine Carr, whilst stupid, doesnt seem as guilty as originally assumed. This is my own personal opinion purely based on what I have read on the news.

The bottom line though, if she is innocent, she will never be able to have a normal life again because there will always be people who will believe otherwise.

akademos
12-Dec-03, 11:59
How about an alternative scenario. The bodies were found just outside the perimeter fence of a very large USAF base which turns over 100's of personnel each week to/from USA, Europe, etc. A bunch of servicemen pick up the girls, sneak them in - as a treat - to the base, then gang rape, kill them then throw them over the fence. The local stupids are arrested and - in Huntley's case - kept in 24-hour solitary confinement in a fully-lit cell for a year and encouraged to 'confess'.

Facts: the ManU strips were generic, there was no girls' DNA found on them, they were found in an area previously searched - get this - by a large number of USAF servicemen, the area wher they were found was not sealed off at any time, many people - not just Huntely - had access to the area.

UK govt's choices: follow-up the USAF link with all the huge difficulties, or, arrest and force to confession a local idiot and his girl.

Ask yourself: is Huntley's defence the absolutely best that could be thought up in 12 months? "I did it but didn't mean to".

John.

Caledonia
12-Dec-03, 12:44
lol!

We have to assume they coerced him into putting forth his daft explanation of his part in events, rather than making a full confession.

Why?

IMHO, Carr has only one real case to answer, and that is to herself. My feeling is she has already suffered greatly for her part in protecting Huntly, and will continue to suffer for the rest of her life.

Though completely innocent of any direct involvement in the actual murders, she will live with the knowledge that her relationship with those children was the lever Huntly used to gain access to them in the way he did; that if she were wiser in her choice of mate or had not gone away that weekend...

He has destroyed two lives already, and those of the families involved. I see no reason to let him totally destroy Carr's as well.

Amethyst.

Uncharacteristically thin-skinned.

If the worst accusation you ever have to face is that of naivety, you will have a charmed life!

;)

akademos
12-Dec-03, 14:16
The questions are:

* why were the Man Utd shirts not found despite a huge search that covered the area where they were eventually 'found'
* why was there so little attempt made to keep the area 'clean' for forensics
* why were there no traces of the girls' DNA on the 'found' shirts
* why was Huntley kept in a 24-hour lit cell in solitary confinement for months (which partly answers the question about the psychology of his defence; after that few of us would have any psyche left)
* why is the BBC particularly running a he-did-it campaign

Would USAF servicemen do this? Ask the Japanese, they have suffered a regular series of military rapes of women of all ages in and around Okinawa and other bases since 1945.

And ... as the judge said, Huntley has no motive for the murders.

Did he do it? Why would he do it? Who else could have done it?

I'm not a conspiracy theoritist, just a bloke who is very sceptical about what is going on.

John.

Caledonia
12-Dec-03, 15:25
Well...

* why were the Man Utd shirts not found despite a huge search that covered the area where they were eventually 'found'

> They could have been placed there at any time.

* why was there so little attempt made to keep the area 'clean' for forensics

> This often happens, and is more to do with poor practice than anything intentional.

* why were there no traces of the girls' DNA on the 'found' shirts

> If I removed my shirt right now you would be highly unlikely to find DNA evidence on it, perhaps even if you struggled with me and removed it, as long as the struggle was reasonably one-sided.

* why was Huntley kept in a 24-hour lit cell in solitary confinement for months (which partly answers the question about the psychology of his defence; after that few of us would have any psyche left)

>He was under observation as a suicide risk. Given the danger from other inmates, solitary kept him alive this long..

* why is the BBC particularly running a he-did-it campaign

>Observing the case carefully it would be most people's assumption. There is no public vote on the verdict so it is of little concern. Perhaps we should have a phone vote? You might laugh but if they 'reform' the Law to the point where jury trials become the exception to the rule it may be a fairer system.

Would USAF servicemen do this? Ask the Japanese, they have suffered a regular series of military rapes of women of all ages in and around Okinawa and other bases since 1945.
>There are a lot of bad people out there. The investigation of evidence has directed the course of events here. It would not be the first time subsequent investigations or revelations out of the blue overturned a case, but that is my standard argument against capital punishment.

And ... as the judge said, Huntley has no motive for the murders.
>No motive has been established, that is. However, motive is only one part of the jigsaw.

Did he do it? Why would he do it? Who else could have done it?

>I think so. I can only assume he knows why, and he is too much of a coward to admit it and end the charade. I suppose many other people could have done it, but I feel a level of certainty has been achieved, through evidence and testimony, and I am sure the jury will agree.

codex
13-Dec-03, 17:26
Its sad to see that the people of caithness choose to discuss such a topic.

trinkie
17-Dec-03, 17:16
Well, now we know.

But I think we'll hear a lot more of this sad case in the weeks to come.
Lots of questions to be answered.

golach
17-Dec-03, 20:26
Now the whole story is out I would say Evil

Anonymous
17-Dec-03, 23:30
Its sad to see that the people of caithness choose to discuss such a topic. :evil Lets face it, they got nout better to do, its like the old about the woman (mad what ever she is called) they said she was living in Thruso and all the time she was in Nick, Nout better to do :evil

gleeber
17-Dec-03, 23:39
I dont think she was evil. She was blatantly stupid and trapped in love.
She will have to live with it for the rest of her life.

sassylass
18-Dec-03, 01:58
Trapped in love? I don't think that's possible. More probably she was blinded by what she mistook for love.

squidge
18-Dec-03, 02:04
i agree with you Gleeber.

I think Maxine Carr was a stupid misguided girl who was too besotted, controlled and scared to see the terrible truth.

She will live with the pain that her lies caused for her whole life. She has been tainted by her association with that man and i am sure that society will not allow her to forget it - maybe ever

webmannie
18-Dec-03, 02:44
akademos & Caledonia,

Care to justify your comments, particularly in light of the revelations on Huntleys previous?

Or are you blind and dumb conspiracy theorists?

rgrds
WM

Anonymous
18-Dec-03, 11:18
I hardly think that throwing a few ideas into the pot and mulling over the general situation as it developed was call for:

Or are you blind and dumb conspiracy theorists?

But now that you've all been saturated by this story, does this not prove what I was ranting on about before, with regards to tv/media coverage. How many people now feel like reigning in their kids a bit more? curfews a bit earlier now? Quite a few folk I've spoken to now feel a little more uncomfortable about letting their kids out of their sight. Has everyone started to eye the janny at the school in a different light?

Tic Chick
18-Dec-03, 13:56
Technotrance I agree with you. I actually find it quite sick how people seem to thrive in finding out all the nasty little details of a tragedy like this. Everyday it's been splashed all over the gutter media, everyone is talking about it and as I said I think it's rather sick really.

Donnie
18-Dec-03, 14:03
I don't think it is sad or sick to discuss this case. However I do feel this case has been over publicised. It seems the papers nowaday pick a story then can make money from and follow it through to the end. I noticed this morning on the front page of the sun - He raped or abused 60 school girls. This kinda stuff is just tripe and not something I will waste my money on.

Caledonia
20-Dec-03, 11:38
webmannie>

"akademos & Caledonia,

Care to justify your comments, particularly in light of the revelations on Huntleys previous?

Or are you blind and dumb conspiracy theorists?"

Hey now!

I may be short sighted and of limited vocal dexterity, but did you actually read my posts?

I think my position on Carr has been vindicated by the result of the jury's deliberation.

I made it clear I thought Huntly was guilty.

Based on the limited information available to me.

I posted a response to Akademos in reaction to what I thought was an absurd suggestion this was some kind of conspiracy, but I tried to remain polite by taking on board that miscarriages of justice do occur and you can never discount that possibility 100%.

Given Huntly tried to explain away his deeds instead of pleading guilty it is bizarre to suggest he was being coerced into taking blame.

However, speculation is just that. It need not be measured against any outcome for justification. (I was right though.)

As far as it being sick to discuss the case… Possibly.

I would not hesitate to discuss it in the pub though, so why here?

This is human nature.

Hopefully now Huntly will be kept away permanently, and Carr will be able to start afresh once she is released.

;)

Anonymous
20-Dec-03, 20:36
In the end, Only God will be judge and jurry