PDA

View Full Version : Intellectual property

Rheghead
15-Aug-09, 22:11
How come if I have bought record or a tape way back when then I'm not entitled to a free reimbursed electronic version if that soundtrack that has worn out through being over used by being a big fan? For a nominal cost of a blank cd, I think I should be entitled to a brand new album. Album = Soundtrack+storage media.

However, music piracy laws targets the wrong people
I think intellectual property rights are just rubbish.

Bobinovich
15-Aug-09, 22:19
Your question seems a little disjointed there Rheggers but I think I'm right in saying that you can make a copy for your own use, in which case you keep the original pristeen, make a copy and wear it out instead, making a new copy from the original as and when required.

Rheghead
15-Aug-09, 22:27
Yeah but if you have been frightened off from being prosecuted of being a copyright cheat and subsequently haven't made a copy then you are facing another cost for the same music. Transferring a 1972 audio copy onto electronic isn't very good, sorry for music snobbery.:o:o

Bobinovich
15-Aug-09, 22:45
But surely the same can be said for any item purchased in the past? i.e. Oh dear my 20 year old telly has died - should I get a new one for free?

And as for getting a free upgrade to an electronic version - presumably far superior quality than the original you purchased - heaven forbid! They've got to get their pound of flesh somewhere, and it's not like the music industry to fleece their customers is it now???? :eek:

I can sympathise with you though. I've lost count of how much vinyl and tape I bought in the past and then paid for again to upgrade to a digital version. Yes I've felt ripped off to a certain degree, but many back catalogues are released in budget price bands - even more so with online sellers punting them out at low prices.

Rheghead
15-Aug-09, 23:16
But surely the same can be said for any item purchased in the past? i.e. Oh dear my 20 year old telly has died - should I get a new one for free?.

You are completley missing the basic point.

If your kid's TV has died then he can still watch the video on the next tv when he gets his next tv. He has already paid for the intellectual rights for the film

Metalattakk
16-Aug-09, 02:02
Rheggers - Copyright laws mean that you don't actually own the music that's on the record or tape or CD you buy. All you own is a license to play the damn thing. So, if your record/tape/CD wears out or breaks, tough. You still have the right to play it. Even if it's broken in two.

Copying the work in any form is illegal, even if it's for your own use, but there's never been a successful prosecution of such a case, probably due to the stupidity of the law.

Copyright/Intellectual Property laws are absolutely archaic and under the most severe pressure they've ever been under. The sooner there is revolution and reform the better.

Bazeye
16-Aug-09, 04:13
Just buy one for two quid off the storeman at work.

Metalattakk
16-Aug-09, 04:16
Why should the storeman at work make a profit from something anyone can easily do themselves?

Bazeye
16-Aug-09, 04:32
Mebbe they cant be bothered.

Metalattakk
16-Aug-09, 04:40
Maybe they're idiots then.

Gene Hunt
16-Aug-09, 09:35
The biggest bunch of music rights zealots are undoubtedly the Perorming Rights Society .. http://www.braintree.gov.uk/Braintree/business/licensing/PerformingRightsSociety.htm

They tried to get my colleagues and myself to pay for the privelge of having a radio/CD Player in our crew room at Manchester. It doesnt matter if you have paid for the music yourself, you still have to have a licence to play it !! I challenged them at every turn because of the attitude of one individual and eventually they left us alone.

Rheghead
16-Aug-09, 10:53
Rheggers - Copyright laws mean that you don't actually own the music that's on the record or tape or CD you buy. All you own is a license to play the damn thing. So, if your record/tape/CD wears out or breaks, tough. You still have the right to play it. Even if it's broken in two.

So i should be able to pay the company or musician with a nominal cost of a blank cd and the cost of recording and get a new cd with the music surely without paying for the music again?

I either own the music or I don't so why should I have to pay twice for it when the cd or tape which I do own wears out?

They say that piracy is illegal, I agree. So why are they wanting their music and eat it?

I wonder if I got caught copying an album on a music piracy website and got taken to court and then produced an old tape which couldn't be played(that I'd paid for years ago) then I will be immune from prosecution? They can't say I haven't paid for he music surely?

Tristan
16-Aug-09, 11:07
I believe you are permitted to make a backup copy of an CD,LP or tape that you own for your own use.
I also think it is legal to download a music track from an internet site. The part that is illegal to do is upload the music which most sharing sites on the internet have you do at the same time.

Phill
16-Aug-09, 12:11
Why should you get a free upgrade?
It's not microshaft.

My VHS copy of Debbie does Dallas got a bit, ahem, tired. But it doesn't mean they'll send me a Blu Ray copy copy for gratis.

:eek:

Metalattakk
16-Aug-09, 14:38
So i should be able to pay the company or musician with a nominal cost of a blank cd and the cost of recording and get a new cd with the music surely without paying for the music again?

I either own the music or I don't so why should I have to pay twice for it when the cd or tape which I do own wears out?

Because you don't own the music. You only own a license to listen to your tape. When the tape wears out, the license doesn't. As long as you have that tape, you have that license to listen to your tape.

If you want to listen to a CD version of your tape, you have to buy a license to listen to a CD of the music. The only way you can buy a license is by buying the CD.

They say that piracy is illegal, I agree. So why are they wanting their music and eat it?

That's rhetorical, isn't it? ;)

I wonder if I got caught copying an album on a music piracy website and got taken to court and then produced an old tape which couldn't be played(that I'd paid for years ago) then I will be immune from prosecution? They can't say I haven't paid for he music surely?

As I've explained, you require a license to listen to the music. If you don't have the relevant license you'll be sent down, guv'nor.

Rheghead
16-Aug-09, 16:43
When the tape wears out, the license doesn't.

Correct, so why can't I just get an electronic copy from an official source for free if the licence is still valid?:confused

Metalattakk
16-Aug-09, 16:48
Because the license only applies to the tape you bought. If you want to listen to the music on a CD, you have to buy the relevant license. The license that applied to the tape is not valid for the CD.