PDA

View Full Version : His Dark Materials

raymac
15-Aug-09, 20:10
Any one out there read His Dark Materials, was thinking of buying it for my 12 year old.

muffin
16-Aug-09, 11:03
I've read the trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm not sure if it is totally suitable for a 12 year old, some think it is anti-religion but it is a very good fantasy adventure if you take it at face value.

WickWitch
24-Aug-09, 20:47
My sons enjoyed them. They also enjoyed The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver.

Orla
25-Aug-09, 21:59
They are fantastic books, but they are long, so it depends how into reading your kid is. They are not anti-religious. They are against the dogma and oppression which can come with organised religion. Some of the ideas expressed in the book may appear to be blasphemous to an uncareful reader or to the dogmatic. I would sum up the book as an examination of good and evil. It would appeal to any intelligent believer or non-believer who is willing to question. If they have read all the Harry Potters or Lord of the Rings, they should be able to follow it. If not, try Artemis Fowl. They are a bit easier to follow and a great read even if you are an adult. And still buy HDM for yourself.