PDA

View Full Version : Mummy and Daddy, etc or Christian names?

Rheghead
15-Aug-09, 18:06
When I was very young, my next door neighbour's little girl called her mother and father by their christian names and they encouraged it actively. I can still hear Lucy shouting 'Judith, Judith!' for whatever the reason was. As a boy, I thought this really jarred my sense of what was proper in the world in terms of respect for elders. I still maintain that ethos by calling my own mother 'Mum' and now my own daughter calls me 'Daddy'.

However, I think the Judith may have had a point by not using 'Mummy and Daddy' because Lucy turned out to be a real fast-track communicator at a very early age. She started out as a reporter for the local newspaper part-time at 16, she became a full-time journalist for a national news paper after university and hence lost touch with what she is doing now.

I guess that being taught to address adults as if she was an 'adult' really helped her subconciously with confidence etc.

I dunno if this was right but I would forego this mummy and daddy, ma or pa business if I was sure it would help my daughter but we just like the pride of being called such by her.

What do you think?

balto
15-Aug-09, 18:45
oh i mind when my eldest daughter was starting to speak, my neighbours thought it would be a good idea to get her to call my and her dad by or christian names, not to say i wasnt happy with it, and boy did i let them know, dont think they spoke for a while but i wasnt allowing anyone to do that.

David Banks
15-Aug-09, 18:53
Regarding the poll, I could see a mummy being called George (e.g.: shortened version of Georgina), but a daddy called Isobel ???

By the way, are gay couples allowed to marry yet in Scotland ?

Alice in Blunderland
15-Aug-09, 18:59
I am immune to the whines of mmmmmuuuuuuuummmmm from my kids and the kids have noticed it. I usually get away with igoring them for a couple of shouts then all I hear is my name being called. The older ones soon realised that I have a deaf ear to mum but not so with my name. ;)

The other favourite is mither as they know the reaction from me is swift and caustic.[lol] 'Dont call me mither'!!

I wouldnt dream of calling my parents anything other than mum and dad and where my husband comes from aunts and uncles are not even called by their first name out of respect. This doesnt seem to have hampered him furthering himself in his education and job. :)

shazzap
15-Aug-09, 19:04
Mam & Dad, i think first names are disrespectful.

Gene Hunt
15-Aug-09, 19:12
I have always been called Dad by my three. And I hated Daddy, made me feel like I was in the 1930's. They know I dont like being called by my first name and never have. To me its disrespectful.

cuddlepop
15-Aug-09, 19:16
Mum and Dad for me too.

Christian names sound so impersonal if you know what I mean.:)

NickInTheNorth
15-Aug-09, 19:20
My kids have the option of calling us either by our names, or mum, dad, mummy, daddy etc.

All four of them so far seem to prefer mummy and daddy, even when talking to their peers at school.

The only abslolute taboo I have is with nephews and nieces, I will not accept uncle Nick, they have been told (and so have their parents) that my name is nick and that is what hey should call me.

So no vote from me on the poll - unless you would care to add an option of whatever the children prefer.

Vistravi
15-Aug-09, 22:46
i think it should be mum and dad or mummy and daddy.

I would never call my mum anything but mum. dad was most defintly dad to me. To have called my parents anything but mum and dad would have been strange to me. my partner refering to my mum by her first name sounds strange to me :lol:
In nurseries i have always prefered being called by my first name over miss and my surname. my first name just sounds better to me when a child is calling me usually because i'll answer it lol.
Each to their own. if the parents of the lass you were refering to rheghead didn't mind her calling them by their first names then that's their call. personally i wouldn't want my kids when they come along calling me by my first name, has to be mum/mummy for me. but with neices and nephews they would have to call me by my first name as i don't like the idea of being called auntie followed by my first name as will my kids be allowed to call their many uncles and aunts by their first names instead of uncle/aunt and first name unless any of them object that is;)

ShelleyCowie
15-Aug-09, 23:09
I call my mum by her name. Have for years but im used to it because i cant call her mum at work can i! So i just call her by her name. I sometimes call my dad by his name too, just if im joking with him though.

I dont want athrun to call me "mummy" its got to be "mum". I dont know why, its just i have seen a 15 year old constantly call her mum "mummy" and to me its for little ones, maybe some kids just dont grow out of it.

My OH answers to daddy more than dad. Well thats if u get a response out of him at all! [lol]

dragonfly
15-Aug-09, 23:12
I don't think it would have been calling her parents by their christian names that helped lucy become a confident young teenager but more her general upbringing and being treated as and talked to as a peer rather than as a child by her parents and extended family.

Bobinovich
15-Aug-09, 23:18
I was gobsmacked when I first heard someone call their parents by their christian names - I was in my early 20s which shows how rare it was even then. Even since then I've only heard a small handful of kids do the same, so I reckon its still much in the minority.

Anne x
15-Aug-09, 23:25
I Personally have called my parents always mum and dad

my Daughter when she wants something is mammmmm but refers to us as mum and dad usually
being from a remarriage for my dad having lost mum young dad did not like using stepmum dilema no way were we calling her mum and came up with her eldest grandchilds nana and that stuck for 25yrs it worked

I personally think parents loose respect with the latest trend for christian names sometimes i think it is just the parents idea to stay young and trendy not kids loose there identity this way and parents still get old

squidge
15-Aug-09, 23:56
My children call me mum and their dad - well - dad. when they were little it was mummy and daddy but they find their own time to change tot he more grown up mum. They call my husband and their step - mother by their first names. Interestingly my little boy ( 22months) calls me Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum like the older ones but only when he is shouting me for something. Any other time its mummy. I wouldnt like the children to address me by my first name. Not because i find it disrespectful in any way but i have loads of friends who call me by my name - I only have erm...lol.. five children:roll: to call me mum - its special and i like that.

Fran
16-Aug-09, 02:01
Regarding the poll, I could see a mummy being called George (e.g.: shortened version of Georgina), but a daddy called Isobel ???

By the way, are gay couples allowed to marry yet in Scotland ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, there was a same sex wedding at wick Registrars recently.

David Banks
16-Aug-09, 04:13
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, there was a same sex wedding at wick Registrars recently.

My follow-up question is neither flippant nor an invitation for 'smart-donkey' remarks.
What would the parents in a same sex marriage want to be called ?

Bazeye
16-Aug-09, 04:20
Going off at one here but Ive noticed that in Thurso that if you phone a taxi, you give your christian name whereas everywhere else its your surname. Is this unique to thurso?

Metalattakk
16-Aug-09, 04:38
In small towns like Thurso, a forename is really all a taxi-driver needs to find his mark.

Plus if you're a regular customer, many of the operators will recognise your voice on the 'phone and will not even need to ask your name.

Such is life in a community.

Sandra_B
16-Aug-09, 09:47
Our boys call us Mum and Dad. We have told them that if we are out somewhere and they get separated from us to shout our first names instead. (too many other kids shouting Mum or Dad).

Fluff
16-Aug-09, 12:00
Slightly off topic, but I really hate it when grown up women/girls call their dad daddy (it seems to be mainly female) I don't know why, but it grates me!

Bazeye
16-Aug-09, 12:52
Slightly off topic, but I really hate it when grown up women/girls call their dad daddy (it seems to be mainly female) I don't know why, but it grates me!

Think thats an Irish thing.

Mrs Bucket
16-Aug-09, 13:14
I am immune to the whines of mmmmmuuuuuuuummmmm from my kids and the kids have noticed it. I usually get away with igoring them for a couple of shouts then all I hear is my name being called. The older ones soon realised that I have a deaf ear to mum but not so with my name. ;)

The other favourite is mither as they know the reaction from me is swift and caustic.[lol] 'Dont call me mither'!!

I wouldnt dream of calling my parents anything other than mum and dad and where my husband comes from aunts and uncles are not even called by their first name out of respect. This doesnt seem to have hampered him furthering himself in his education and job. :)

Alice hope you dont mind me being a bit familiar. why dont you like being called mither? do you feel the same about a father being called faithe.r I feel they are good old fashioned Caithness words

Fluff
16-Aug-09, 14:48
Yeah I think you are right, it is the 'norm' over there. But I hate it when you hear it here. There are alot of 'rah' girls down here who rely on Daddy to fund their lifestyles.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Aug-09, 17:37
Alice hope you dont mind me being a bit familiar. why dont you like being called mither? do you feel the same about a father being called faithe.r I feel they are good old fashioned Caithness words

I don't know why I just think it sounds horrible. The same as I have a friend from Glasgow who calls her mum 'mammy' which also makes me cringe. Its just a personal preference and the kids know it and take the mickey out of me because of it. :)
I always tell the kids there's no 'i' in mother and my friend there's no 'a' in mummy. :lol:

Margaret M.
16-Aug-09, 18:39
I don't know why I just think it sounds horrible.

I'm not a fan of mither and faither either -- I think it sounds angry/disrespectful.

georgegwf
16-Aug-09, 21:56
It has to be mum or dad if i called my mum or dad by their first names cue thick ear and grounded and i'm 43:eek:

Matthew
17-Aug-09, 08:33
:Razz The poll seems quite one sided... lol.