PDA

View Full Version : sinclair and girnigoe castle

cinderella
13-Aug-09, 19:11
I read the advertisement on the Org and in papers and went out to Sinclair and Girnigoe Castle today to help with the dig. I was very disappointed to be told that ''children under 16 are not allowed, and that they did not need any help today as they had enough helpers already''.This should be clearly stated to the public -the two children I had taken were very upset as they are very interested in archaeology.:(

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-09, 22:54
I read the advertisement on the Org and in papers and went out to Sinclair and Girnigoe Castle today to help with the dig. I was very disappointed to be told that ''children under 16 are not allowed, and that they did not need any help today as they had enough helpers already''.This should be clearly stated to the public -the two children I had taken were very upset as they are very interested in archaeology.:(

It's odd that you should mention that.

A few weeks ago I went down to Gernigoe castle with Mr's M and her 90 year old mother who is very interested in ancient history. (it's closer to her than now).

As the gate was open at the car park side and there was no sign to say that you should not drive down, I drove down to the castle as it would not have been possible for the old girl to walk down.

Although the castle itself was closed to the public we had a good look around the outside and took some photos and came away.

It was then reported in the local paper that the castle would be open to the public (can't remember the date), but the mother in law was delighted to have been able to take a look inside before going home to Wales.

We made a picnic and set off down there and when we got to the end of the track we had a right ear bashing of some jobsworth that we had to turn around as they were leaving and would be locking the gates behind them. This was 11-45 in the morning.

I explained that I had my disabled MIL with us that had made a speacial trip to see the inside of the castle, but he said "well we are going now and going to lock you in". I thanked him very much for being very helpfull (I was in the mood to launch him off the edge of the cliff) and off they went.

We did go and have a look and the castle was not open as advertised so we made our way back up the track to find that there was no lock on the gate and no need whatsoever for the pillock to have upset our day at all.

It makes me wonder if the people that are doing the PR for Gernigoe castle are singing from the same song sheet as the people that are down at the castle.