PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins

Geo
13-Aug-09, 19:10
There was a wonderful acrobatic display from a group (pod?) of dolphins/porpoises along from the Trinky today. They were close in and jumping clear of the water sometimes in pairs. One did a vey loud belly flop! It was fantastic.

I don't know what type they were. To me they seemed bigger than a bottlenose and had white markings with a few having a lot of white.

cinderella
13-Aug-09, 19:16
yes,I also saw them -fantastic!:)I am going back there tonight with the camera to try to catch a photo of them

northener
13-Aug-09, 19:33
Like this?

http://www.alphawhalewatch.com/wp-content/themes/awtheme/images/white-sided-dolphin.jpg

Atlantic White Sided Dolphins....possibly.

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-09, 22:22
I am never in the right place at the right time.:mad:

I have yet to see anything more interesting than some grey seal and a couple of otter sightings despite many hours with binnoculars pointing seaward.:eek:

My nieghbour was excited to tell me of his sightings of a pod of Risso's Dolphins off Broadhaven a few days ago and I have spent a bit of time down at the Trinkie and at Riess beach armed with bins, and camera, but with no luck.:(

I am sure it must be very exciting to get a good view of such splendid species, however I think I am more likely to see the Lochness monster.isso's DolphinsRRisso's Dolphinsisso's Dolphins

grumpy1
14-Aug-09, 07:25
that sounds lovely.. just one question tho where's the trinky ( sorry still trying to find myway round)

Kevin Milkins
14-Aug-09, 09:14
that sounds lovely.. just one question tho where's the trinky ( sorry still trying to find myway round)

If you are in Wick and drive south hugging the shore road it is an outside lido and rocky bathing area. If you keep the sea tight to your left you can not miss it.

Seabird
17-Aug-09, 21:17
There was a wonderful acrobatic display from a group (pod?) of dolphins/porpoises along from the Trinky today. They were close in and jumping clear of the water sometimes in pairs. One did a vey loud belly flop! It was fantastic.

I don't know what type they were. To me they seemed bigger than a bottlenose and had white markings with a few having a lot of white.

Sound very much like Risso's Dolphins.
They were seen and filmed in the same area a few months back.
They very often come close to shore and do enjoy a good leap and splash.
The variation in colour is also typical of this species, with some with white marks and others with whole areas of their body being white.(the white is in fact scarring)
In size they are about the same but more bulky and heavier than the BND.

Colin

Camra
17-Aug-09, 21:43
Was fishing at Longberry when a large pod appeared about 100 yards offshore. Looked like Bottlenosed to me.