PDA

View Full Version : lockerbie bomber

Tom Cornwall
13-Aug-09, 14:27
I see the Scottish Government are planning to let the Lockerbie bomber go free...he'll got back to Libya and be a hereo..and make a miraculous recovery...what about the 280 victims, they can't go free...it's terrible

achingale
13-Aug-09, 14:48
Do you really think he did it all by himself? There must be many more men and women involved who have never been brought to justice and he was just the patsy. The real ones behind it have been free since it happened and the victims' relatives know it.

Tom Cornwall
13-Aug-09, 19:15
Do you really think he did it all by himself? There must be many more men and women involved who have never been brought to justice and he was just the patsy. The real ones behind it have been free since it happened and the victims' relatives know it.

if that's true, he must have been really stupid to take the blame all by himself...so he'll really go back a hero, because he didn't tell about his accomplices

Bazeye
13-Aug-09, 19:50
Puts Ronnie Biggs release in perspective doesnt it.

golach
13-Aug-09, 20:03
I see the Scottish Government are planning to let the Lockerbie bomber go free...he'll got back to Libya and be a hereo..and make a miraculous recovery...what about the 280 victims, they can't go free...it's terrible
I have always thought his trial was suspect to say the least, it would have been a better result if he had been found "Not proven".

bigskelf
14-Aug-09, 09:27
I get the impression, (what a carefully measured analytical approach that is!) that the closer you get to Lockerbie, the less convinced people are by the verdict and equally, the further away the stronger the belief in his guilt.
I suspect the establishment is weighing up whether it is more embarrassing to risk the conviction being found to be unsafe in the future or to release him on "compassionate" grounds.
I'm not sure a jury would have considered him guilty "beyond reasonable doubt" on the evidence presented. I seem to remember that it hinged on a single shop keeper identifying him several years after the event.
I've got problems remembering who I saw in the pub last weekend, although there might other factors influencing that.....;)

King_Creon
14-Aug-09, 10:21
Come now, he's got terminal prostate cancer - I honestly don't think he is going to be a threat to anyone. Locking people in jail for life is, in my opinion, not a solution to anything. I know he, and many other people, have taken a lot of lives but we should be concentrating on reforming these individuals, not this absurd biblical style punishment where we lock them in a tiny cell.

And before anyone says "what if it was your family that died", that is a rubbish argument and it's exactly why they don't (and quite rightly so) let victim's familys have any say in the punishment of the person that has murdered (or whatever) their loved ones.

Cheers

Avanti o popolo!

Bazeye
14-Aug-09, 10:47
And before anyone says "what if it was your family that died", that is a rubbish argument and it's exactly why they don't (and quite rightly so) let victim's familys have any say in the punishment of the person that has murdered (or whatever) their loved ones.

Cheers

Avanti o popolo!

Maybe they should?

King_Creon
14-Aug-09, 10:58
Maybe they should?

thats ridiculous

Stefan
14-Aug-09, 11:16
One man, who lost his daughter, quite rightly said on national radio yesterday that two wrongs don't make a right.
It seems that mostly Americans think that Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi should die in jail without being able to see his family ever again.
This comes from a nation who thinks that the UK heath system is a threat to anybodies health and who still support the death penalty.

An eye for an eye ??

Two wrongs don't make a right !

Gene Hunt
14-Aug-09, 11:53
Come now, he's got terminal prostate cancer - I honestly don't think he is going to be a threat to anyone. Locking people in jail for life is, in my opinion, not a solution to anything. I know he, and many other people, have taken a lot of lives but we should be concentrating on reforming these individuals, not this absurd biblical style punishment where we lock them in a tiny cell.

Cheers

Avanti o popolo!

So how do you reform a man who was quite happy to set a bomb on a jet with hundreds of people ??, do we sit him down and tell him not to be naughty ??, do we send him on a nice foreign holiday ??, do we make an excuse for him that it was all because Mummy and Daddy didnt love him very much ?? .. do we just get him to promise not to do it again ?? .. its attitudes like yours that have made this country a place where criminals laugh at the system because they know the touchy feely pinko lefty muppets in charge are always prepared with an excuse for them.

I think people with your attitude should be made to carry out one to one counselling with Murderers, Rapists, Serial Killers etc etc. I want to see your attitude reform the most violent and sadistic killers we have in these "biblical punishment" prisons. You seem to have all the answers. Wonder if one of them is "How do I stop this psychopath turning me into a lightshade ??"

It'll either work or we will have a drastic reduction in space and oxygen wasting liberals. Its a win win.

tonkatojo
14-Aug-09, 11:58
One man, who lost his daughter, quite rightly said on national radio yesterday that two wrongs don't make a right.
It seems that mostly Americans think that Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi should die in jail without being able to see his family ever again.
This comes from a nation who thinks that the UK heath system is a threat to anybodies health and who still support the death penalty.

An eye for an eye ??

Two wrongs don't make a right !

Jim Squires is a very compassionate man, I am not so sure I could be so forgiving, having said that, let the powers that be make the decisions. No come backs to me then.
The US has a big ego but that's about all.

tiggertoo
14-Aug-09, 12:42
why not let him out they seem to let everyone else out early,they gave ronnie his freedom,today i read a killer serving 8yrs was let out to spend a week with his family after spending two yrs inside and am i not right in that IRAkillers were released early as part of the peace agreement deal what about there victims families, let him go home to spend what time he has left on this planet, there is doubt that he was guilty at all

Gizmo
14-Aug-09, 13:50
I've read a lot about this case over the years, and i'm convinced that 'Al Megrahi' had sod all to do with the bombing, the evidence against him was seriously flimsy, and i'm sure that sometime in the future he'll be fully pardoned for it, which will sadly be long after the prostate cancer gets him.

Alan16
14-Aug-09, 14:15
I was too young to understand the events at the actual time they happened, but reading and hearing things over the years has led me to believe that he probably isn't guilty. Something about the fact that he has always insisted on his innocence makes me think that he really is innocent - he seems to genuinely believe that the verdict was incorrect.

It's another of those scenarios, I think, where something had to be done. Like 9/11 in America - months later they are invading Iraq. They had to be seen to be doing something. I feel it is the same here - somebody had to be convicted. There had to be someone or something to blame.

As it is, we may as well release him. He might well not see 2010, so why not let him die at home? And Gene, if we could be certain of his guilt I'd agree with most of what you said - if we could be certain of his guilt then we could just take him out back and fire a bit of lead into him. But we can't be sure of his guilt. It was all circumstantial - a group of his peers would not have found him guilty.

Gene Hunt
14-Aug-09, 16:51
The fact is that he was convicted by a jury that was given more info than the general public were. The attitude of "from what I have read he isnt guilty" doesnt mean squat. If I said I saw Elvis in Cardiff earlier would that make it true ??, Unfortunatley we live in a world where if the Media says something there are millions of sheep willing to jump on the bandwagon based on what the Sun/Mail/Telgraph/some guy on the Internet says. Like the people who are convinced that the Moon Landings are fake but adopt the look of a drugged goldfish when asked to name a moonwalker who wasnt Neil Armstrong or Buzz Aldrin. They dont really know about the subject, they just swallow the morsels the media throw at them.

Prisons are full of "innocent" men proclaiming their innocence .. ;)

Aaldtimer
14-Aug-09, 17:08
Actually GH, no jury was involved..."After nine months, three Scottish judges found him guilty and a subsequent appeal was rejected. He was sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum term of 27 years."
That's from a BBC news report.:confused

Gene Hunt
14-Aug-09, 17:15
Actually GH, no jury was involved..."After nine months, three Scottish judges found him guilty and a subsequent appeal was rejected. He was sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum term of 27 years."
That's from a BBC news report.:confused

I stand corrected, sorry my brain is fried today. Time to finish it off with beer I think !!

Gizmo
14-Aug-09, 18:00
Prisons are full of "innocent" men proclaiming their innocence .. ;)

# 1989: The Guildford Four are released by the Court of Appeal. The detectives at the centre of the case are later cleared of fabricating evidence.
# 1991: The Birmingham Six are freed. Prosecutions against officers accused of tampering with evidence are halted because of "adverse publicity".
# 1997: The Bridgwater Four - minus Patrick Molloy, who died in jail - are released after 17 years in prison.
# 2000: The M25 Three are freed by three Court of Appeal judges who say there had been a "conspiracy" to give perjured evidence.

And countless more "Innocent" people have fallen victim to the corrupt Justice system in this country.

Derek Bentley, 19yrs old, hanged in 1953 for the murder of a Policeman, given a Royal Pardon in 1993, and then the conviction quashed in 1998. Murdered by the state for a crime he didn't commit.

riggerboy
14-Aug-09, 18:14
judgement has been passed

hang him
hang him
hang him

and then hang him again,

Gene Hunt
14-Aug-09, 18:54
# 1989: The Guildford Four are released by the Court of Appeal. The detectives at the centre of the case are later cleared of fabricating evidence.
# 1991: The Birmingham Six are freed. Prosecutions against officers accused of tampering with evidence are halted because of "adverse publicity".
# 1997: The Bridgwater Four - minus Patrick Molloy, who died in jail - are released after 17 years in prison.
# 2000: The M25 Three are freed by three Court of Appeal judges who say there had been a "conspiracy" to give perjured evidence.

And countless more "Innocent" people have fallen victim to the corrupt Justice system in this country.

Derek Bentley, 19yrs old, hanged in 1953 for the murder of a Policeman, given a Royal Pardon in 1993, and then the conviction quashed in 1998. Murdered by the state for a crime he didn't commit.

So because the system isnt perfect we assume its wrong all the time ??

Five cases between 1953 and 2000 do not a corrupt system make.

Gizmo
14-Aug-09, 19:25
So because the system isnt perfect we assume its wrong all the time ??

Five cases between 1953 and 2000 do not a corrupt system make.

Those are just some of the more well documented cases, there are dozens more.

And no, we shouldn't assume that everyone procaliming innocence is innocent, but Al Megrahi was convicted on some pretty flimsy evidence.

Alan16
14-Aug-09, 19:47
As I said - my opinions are based entirely on the meagre evidence available to the public and stuff I've seen and heard. And the system was flawed in this case I think - he deserved to be tried in front of peers, not lawyers who have done well for themselves (i.e. judges).

What do you call 1000 lawyers up to there neck in sand?

A good start.

I'll never tire of lawyers jokes.

King_Creon
14-Aug-09, 23:56
So how do you reform a man who was quite happy to set a bomb on a jet with hundreds of people ??, do we sit him down and tell him not to be naughty ??, do we send him on a nice foreign holiday ??, do we make an excuse for him that it was all because Mummy and Daddy didnt love him very much ?? .. do we just get him to promise not to do it again ?? .. its attitudes like yours that have made this country a place where criminals laugh at the system because they know the touchy feely pinko lefty muppets in charge are always prepared with an excuse for them.

I think people with your attitude should be made to carry out one to one counselling with Murderers, Rapists, Serial Killers etc etc. I want to see your attitude reform the most violent and sadistic killers we have in these "biblical punishment" prisons. You seem to have all the answers. Wonder if one of them is "How do I stop this psychopath turning me into a lightshade ??"

It'll either work or we will have a drastic reduction in space and oxygen wasting liberals. Its a win win.

You're pathetic Gene. 'People with my attitude'?! You do make me laugh. How about your try and open your horizons and stop being such a stupid right wing, reactionary twit.

Also, stay in Wales, we don't need your opinion in Caithness.

Gene Hunt
15-Aug-09, 09:21
You're pathetic Gene. 'People with my attitude'?! You do make me laugh. How about your try and open your horizons and stop being such a stupid right wing, reactionary twit.

Also, stay in Wales, we don't need your opinion in Caithness.

Oh no. Someone on the Internet doesnt like me. Good job I dont seek the company of liberals who cant back up their own assumptions and spit the dummy when challenged to.

I think you do need my opinion in Caithness though. Someone has to take up the slack for the IQ black hole you consist of. But seeing as you obviously have no answers to the question I posed, namely how would you rehabilatate people willing to blow up an aircraft crammed with Passengers I will leave with a guide for others who might read your statements (that you cant, or wont, back up) to explain .. http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4383/undertandingliberalpoli.jpg

My horizons were widened enough, thank you very much, on people like the Lockerbie Bomber when I spent a TA tour in Iraq and saw people I had been working with an hour before end up on the receiving end of an IED planted by the type of coward who sneaks a bomb aboard a packed aircraft and crawls away. Thankfully the people responsible for events that day later died by their own hand trying to repeat their actions. I do love natural justice.

King_Creon
15-Aug-09, 09:58
I am aware that people die in war, you don't need to tell me your experiences to try and shock me into your way of thinking.

I have never said that I myself would begin rehabilitating rapists, muderers or whatever - that is not my job and I am certainly not qualified to do it.

We should never have been in Iraq for a start, or the multitutde of other places we have exploited.

Oh and I enjoyed your amusing picture depicting liberal politics - really satirical - have you thought about a career in that sort of thing? You could get your own talk show. Very, very witty how you did that. Amusing. Very clever use of the copy and paste function. Really made an impact on my beliefs and opinions...

Gene Hunt
15-Aug-09, 10:36
I am aware that people die in war, you don't need to tell me your experiences to try and shock me into your way of thinking.

I have never said that I myself would begin rehabilitating rapists, muderers or whatever - that is not my job and I am certainly not qualified to do it.

We should never have been in Iraq for a start, or the multitutde of other places we have exploited.

Oh and I enjoyed your amusing picture depicting liberal politics - really satirical - have you thought about a career in that sort of thing? You could get your own talk show. Very, very witty how you did that. Amusing. Very clever use of the copy and paste function. Really made an impact on my beliefs and opinions...

Typical Liberal know it all. Plenty of criticism. No answers at all. Firmly planted in the cheap seats.

And if you are going to attempt a sneer at someone I suggest you jog on and pick someone who lacks very wide horizons.

Gizmo
15-Aug-09, 10:58
Oh no. Someone on the Internet doesnt like me. Good job I dont seek the company of liberals who cant back up their own assumptions and spit the dummy when challenged to.

I think you do need my opinion in Caithness though. Someone has to take up the slack for the IQ black hole you consist of. But seeing as you obviously have no answers to the question I posed, namely how would you rehabilatate people willing to blow up an aircraft crammed with Passengers I will leave with a guide for others who might read your statements (that you cant, or wont, back up) to explain .. http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4383/undertandingliberalpoli.jpg

My horizons were widened enough, thank you very much, on people like the Lockerbie Bomber when I spent a TA tour in Iraq and saw people I had been working with an hour before end up on the receiving end of an IED planted by the type of coward who sneaks a bomb aboard a packed aircraft and crawls away. Thankfully the people responsible for events that day later died by their own hand trying to repeat their actions. I do love natural justice.

I liked your original version of this post much better...lol

Gene Hunt
15-Aug-09, 11:06
I liked your original version of this post much better...lol

Yeah .. So did I .. it was much more me. Glad someone caught it before it was watered down. It was some of my best work .. ;)

Gizmo
15-Aug-09, 11:38
Yeah .. So did I .. it was much more me. Glad someone caught it before it was watered down. It was some of my best work .. ;)

It might have been much more you....but it was 100% me, i thought i'd entered another dimension and we had swapped personalities...lol

peter macdonald
16-Aug-09, 10:12
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/6034698/Lockerbie-bombing-victims-father-to-sue.html

Seems more than Golach has doubts about the conviction....

Gene Hunt
16-Aug-09, 10:19
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/6034698/Lockerbie-bombing-victims-father-to-sue.html

Seems more than Golach has doubts about the conviction....

He also thinks that the Iranian President was involved in the bombing according to that article.

Someone hasnt been taking their Meds.

scorrie
16-Aug-09, 19:45
It seems that "The Bomber" has dropped his appeal. I would assume that means he will be a free man very shortly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206716/New-cover-claims-Lockerbie-bomber-drops-appeal.html

Based on the information and events, I am of the opinion that Megrahi is an escape goat in this tragic affair.