PDA

View Full Version : Berks driving slowly

northener
13-Aug-09, 09:46
A couple of weeks ago in Wick (at the same time the .Org was down - otherwise i'd have been ranting a lot earlier..) I saw something which at first just looked rather odd......

Driving past Lochshell coming into Wick there was a modern 4x4 travelling towards me, it was only doing about 15-20mph and it had a queue of cars behind it. They couldn't get past because of oncoming traffic and the car wasn't turning off at Lochshell.

My initial thought was that it was just one of our resident rubbish drivers or that maybe they had a problem with the car. No big deal.

Half an hour later I was ready for dragging some idiot out of their car and executing them on the spot....

Coming back out towards Tescos' up George street - red car crawling along at 10mph with 4 occupants wandering about and looking around as if lost. So I hung back......They approach parked car, pull right into the kerb as if to park... I start to pull out to go round them and Mr Observation Guru wanders back out without checking his mirrors or indicating. I eased off and then overtook once we'd cleared the parked car.
I didn't think much of it until I then realised I was now immediately behind a second red car doing exactly the same:eek:. Occupants in car looking around, travelling at a snails pace and paying no attention to what's going off behind them.

Jeez, thinketh I, is it something in the water? I nip past them whilst they're dawdling only to get stuck behind a THIRD red car full of occupants doing the same! Ye Gods! Three of the (expletives deleted) in a convoy!

Managed to nip past them on the approach to Tescos only find in front of me a people carrier/4x4 doing about 15mph, same again full of occupants all looking around as if they've lost something.

By this time I'm getting a bit hacked off. I can't get past because of oncoming traffic so sat behind them assuming they'd speed up once we got to the national speed limit signs.

Did they speed up? Did they ........[evil]

Right, that does it. Hit the horn (to make other road users aware of my presence, Officer) and once I'd got the drivers attention made the 'what are you doing? gesture with hands....reply? he put his left indicator on and continued at the same speed!

I CAN'T GET PAST YOU, YOU BLOODY IGNORANT ARSE!!!
NEITHER CAN THE HALF DOZEN CARS AND THE WAGON BEHIND ME WHO ARE STUCK IN THIS RIDICULOUS LOG JAM YOU AND YOUR CHUMS ARE CREATING!!! MOVE!!!

Gawd give me strength.:roll:

And guess what? Travelling into Wick on the opposite side of the road by the Dentists was a car doing exactly the same with a herd of poor hapless victims stuck behind them.

And...wait for it...looking up the Killimster road...

......you get the picture by now.

I don't know what you ignorant idiots were playing at.
I don't care if you were on some silly 'Treasure Hunt', raising money for charity by driving as slowly as possible or whether you were all on your way to a Stupid People Convention. DON'T use the road as your own personal amusement park where normal driving rules only apply to other people.

You are irresponsible at best - stupid, ignorant and dangerous at worst.

And I'll bet some of them post on here.......

That is all.

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-09, 10:10
Now, slowly.....in..........

................. and out.:lol:

Gene Hunt
13-Aug-09, 10:30
I feel your pain Northener. I bet the drivers of these cars were probably rolling their eyes and tut tutting the "speed demons" who passed them at the warp speed of 30 Mph. Most of the time the drivers of these cars are pensioners or women who dawdle along like a bottom burp in a dream, you can tell who they are when they sell their car as the sign says "One Careful Owner, Fourth Gear Never Used".

Only a few weeks back I was behind a car driven by two women who were having one of these animated arms everywhere arguments as they bimbled along, you could almost hear the "Omigod .. Omigod .. REALLY ??" comments as they drifted along at twenty miles an hour in a forty zone. I was going to the same shopping centre as them and had to follow them into the car park, they then stopped and BOTH adjusted their make up in the rear view mirror before pulling into the vacant space on their right. Once they were out of the car and I was parked I went over and reminded them that the thing under their right foot isnt a footrest, its the acclerator and I actually like to get my shopping done while I am young. If they had gone any slower they would have been going backwards. They were actually quite scary as they were bright orange and looked like someone had packed every colour of make up into a shotgun and then blasted their face at close range. It was like talking to a Dulux paint catalouge.

I often have the urge to ensure these snails of the road watch while their car is crushed. They would then go head first into a woodchipper to remove the hazard they pose to the rest of us road users. The most annoying of which are the pensioners who can barely see above the wheel and gawp at anyone who passes like they have been overtaken by the Starship Enterprise. They need to be made aware that the Speed Limit has increased since those new fangled talkie films arrived in the Pally.

northener
13-Aug-09, 10:36
Now, slowly.....in..........

................. and out.:lol:

Oxygen mask, please Nursey....

.........I often have the urge to ensure these snails of the road watch while their car is crushed. They would then go head first into a woodchipper to remove the hazard they pose to the rest of us road users. The most annoying of which are the pensioners who can barely see above the wheel and gawp at anyone who passes like they have been overtaken by the Starship Enterprise.......

Car crusher......woodchipper...Hmmm....

Yup, sounds good to me.

highland visitor
13-Aug-09, 11:34
I have every sympathy with you being stuck behind these kind of drivers..
i'm sure some just dont give a damn what problems they cause to other road users..
It happens here in the south too but we also have major problems with speeding..

I was visiting Wick last week for the weekend, My partner & myself shared the driving as its a long drive taking around 9 hours to get upto your beautiful open roads,
It was around 8.30 am when I had just passed through Inverness, happily driving along at around 60mph, the road up were clear until i got stuck behind a middle aged couple who were driving a 4x4 pick up, taking their time stolling along doing 25mph, why?
so I stayed behind them until it was safe for me to pass them, i know the roads can wind & turn so i hung back & waited until i could see it was ok to pass,
Then as i indicated to pass they speaded up & started to drive in the middle of the road[evil]
confused by what they were doing or why i stayed behind until i could again pass them & yep you've guessed it as i tried to pass they did the same again, my partner sat there in amazement watching these idiots play about infront of us every time i tried to pass..
Now i have to admit i can be quite an impatient driver when someones 'messing' about on the road but this just had me becoming furious, 3 times i attempted to pass & couldnt because they thought it was funny to pull out into the middle of the road & spead up until they thought i wasnt going to pass,
Eventually as they pulled back in i put my foot down & took the chance of passing them,
Yeahhh i managed to get past the idiots..
as i did & looked at them the male driving the car was actually shaving :eek:whilst his female partner was filling her face with a sandwhich.
I continued on making my way to Wick..
but then once we were there we wandered down to Tesco & guess who i spotted sat inside the cafe..yep the idiots from the road..
so me being me had to wander over & give them a peice of my mind..
I stood there & asked if they thought it was funny? the guy sat there looked at me & simply replied ' oh we thought we would make sure we kept you behind us as we were thought you may have hit our new car as you passed':eek:
I could have hit him never mind his new car!

Nvidi4
13-Aug-09, 11:39
Maybe the "gods" were trying to warn you that day and slowed you down deliberately so as to protect you from impending doom .........your life could have been saved that day and you didnt know it Notherner! ;)

Next time your being "slowed down" stop and think why instead of "loosing the heid"!!! :Razz You were being held up for a reason either that or it was orgers who were out and about for a change when the org was down!!!!!! :Razz

cuddlepop
13-Aug-09, 14:19
Oh has been late every night since the silly season started.Being in the lorry he cant exceed his limit so is frequently stuck behind said "red car" types.
Not everyone is on holiday,some of us do live here and are trying to get about our work.:mad:

Roll on September when the tourists leave and give us back our Island.:Razz

Has anyone else noticed how "badly" these tourists are driving?

achingale
13-Aug-09, 14:52
Oh Northerner, you tell the story so well!!! I was smiling throughout. But I know how frustrating it was - I was there!

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-09, 14:57
Although I have never been on a treasure hunt I am sure they must be great fun for those that do like to participate.

When I lived in rural Shropshire it was common for gangs of folk from Wolverhampton to converge on the sticks for their Sunday outing and partake in the joys of a treasure hunt.

I have nothing whatsoever against town people enjoying there day out in the countryside and have even been known to be polite and helpful on more than one occasion, but I do take exception when car after car pull up on my drive and even on to my lawn and some loutish person wonders over (as if it’s ok because he is on a treasure) and say “Hoy mate does yow know were blar blar blar is”?

I can relate to the OP and his anxiety.

tonkatojo
13-Aug-09, 15:02
I feel your pain Northener. I bet the drivers of these cars were probably rolling their eyes and tut tutting the "speed demons" who passed them at the warp speed of 30 Mph. Most of the time the drivers of these cars are pensioners or women who dawdle along like a bottom burp in a dream, you can tell who they are when they sell their car as the sign says "One Careful Owner, Fourth Gear Never Used".

Only a few weeks back I was behind a car driven by two women who were having one of these animated arms everywhere arguments as they bimbled along, you could almost hear the "Omigod .. Omigod .. REALLY ??" comments as they drifted along at twenty miles an hour in a forty zone. I was going to the same shopping centre as them and had to follow them into the car park, they then stopped and BOTH adjusted their make up in the rear view mirror before pulling into the vacant space on their right. Once they were out of the car and I was parked I went over and reminded them that the thing under their right foot isnt a footrest, its the acclerator and I actually like to get my shopping done while I am young. If they had gone any slower they would have been going backwards. They were actually quite scary as they were bright orange and looked like someone had packed every colour of make up into a shotgun and then blasted their face at close range. It was like talking to a Dulux paint catalouge.

I often have the urge to ensure these snails of the road watch while their car is crushed. They would then go head first into a woodchipper to remove the hazard they pose to the rest of us road users. The most annoying of which are the pensioners who can barely see above the wheel and gawp at anyone who passes like they have been overtaken by the Starship Enterprise. They need to be made aware that the Speed Limit has increased since those new fangled talkie films arrived in the Pally.

Your time might come if you live that long to be a pensioner,hopefully you will retain your height and still be able to see over the wheel then, "gawping" might be there way of getting oxygen,before you say it yes they should be driving if the law allows it, they might not be capable of walking like the lucky able bodied.
less seriously, your car won't be classed as one careful owner will it ? after another female has had use of it.
20mph in a 40 zone ??, 40mph is the maximum speed not the must do speed as is all figures, where does it say minimum ?.
where does it say Northener or Gene hunt rules in the highway code, I must have missed that bit.
You used to say live and let live, what happened, you changed your philosophy since your return.

shazzap
13-Aug-09, 15:20
Some of the comments on here about driving slowly i think are not warrented.

They might be tourists who are lost or not sure of the roads, or might just want to enjoy the scenery.

I myself like to drive at 50mph and no more where it is the national speed limit. I drive at the speed i am comfortable with taking into consideration the road and the conditions ( weather ). Although when driving through the towns and villages with a speed of 30mph i sometimes do get a little frustrated when someone is crawling along at 10 and 15mph when the road ahead is clear, which does happen a lot. You can usually tell if someone is looking for a somewhere or if they are lost which can hapen to us all.

cuddlepop
13-Aug-09, 15:27
Some of the comments on here about driving slowly i think are not warrented.

They might be tourists who are lost or not sure of the roads, or might just want to enjoy the scenery.

I myself like to drive at 50mph and no more where it is the national speed limit. I drive at the speed i am comfortable with taking into consideration the road and the conditions ( weather ). Although when driving through the towns and villages with a speed of 30mph i sometimes do get a little frustrated when someone is crawling along at 10 and 15mph when the road ahead is clear, which does happen a lot. You can usually tell if someone is looking for a somewhere or if they are lost which can hapen to us all.

I have no objection to the tourists enjoying the scenery but does that mean there excempt from looking in the rear view mirror to observe the que of traffic they have behind them.
There are plenty of laybys they can pull into to let others continue on they're way.....they never do.:mad:

henry20
13-Aug-09, 15:45
20mph in a 40 zone ??, 40mph is the maximum speed not the must do speed as is all figures, where does it say minimum ?.

When I was taught to drive, I was always told to keep my speed up to nearing the speed limit. I believe you can be stopped for driving to slow as it is a danger to other road users.

jimbews
13-Aug-09, 16:00
not the must do speed as is all figures, where does it say minimum ?.
where does it say Northener or Gene hunt rules in the highway code, I must have missed that bit.

Quoting from the Highway Code:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/index.htm

Yes there are items about speed limits not being "targets", but:

You MUST NOT

drive dangerously
drive without due care and attention
drive without reasonable consideration for other road users

Note: consideration

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.
- - - - - - -

If slow drivers were considerate to other road users then people would perhaps not get so frustrated that they started to take risks.
I know they shouldn't, but after following someone for miles who is consistently driving at half the safe speed who has probably never looked in the mirror since their test .....

JimBews

tonkatojo
13-Aug-09, 16:05
When I was taught to drive, I was always told to keep my speed up to nearing the speed limit. I believe you can be stopped for driving to slow as it is a danger to other road users.

Yes you are taught that, its to prove your competence, but where does it say "you must drive to the maximum" ?, does 30/40/50/60 mph apply to agricultural vehicles or under powered lgv/hgv type vehicles, mopeds, cyclists, horse & cart or the horse rider ?. get real.

northener
13-Aug-09, 16:18
Just one point, folks.

I'm not too concerned about the odd tourist wandering about (annoying as it is), my first post was deliberately targetted at those who were obviously taking part in some sort of group 'event' around Wick.

That's what really pished me off big time.

Hope that's a bit clearer.:Razz

tonkatojo
13-Aug-09, 16:20
Quoting from the Highway Code:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/index.htm

Yes there are items about speed limits not being "targets", but:

You MUST NOT

drive dangerously
drive without due care and attention
drive without reasonable consideration for other road users

Note: consideration

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.
- - - - - - -

If slow drivers were considerate to other road users then people would perhaps not get so frustrated that they started to take risks.
I know they shouldn't, but after following someone for miles who is consistently driving at half the safe speed who has probably never looked in the mirror since their test .....

JimBews

Don't preach to some one who has probably driven more miles in all traffic than you have experienced in Caithness tearing around with next to no traffic. I have driven for 42 years without a blemish on my licence, thats driving psv's for 20 years hgv's for 15 years with motorbikes cars even a pushbike in between, and thats in cities with more traffic in one road than Caithness has in a year.
As for pulling in to allow overtaking, how many laybyes are there when you want one in caithness ? unless you consider someones driveway and lawn as one, (KEVIN MIKINS for instance).
Beside if someone wants to conserve there fuel consumption what right do you have to say he must travel at your speed to burn more.

Gene Hunt
13-Aug-09, 16:48
Your time might come if you live that long to be a pensioner,hopefully you will retain your height and still be able to see over the wheel then, "gawping" might be there way of getting oxygen,before you say it yes they should be driving if the law allows it, they might not be capable of walking like the lucky able bodied.
less seriously, your car won't be classed as one careful owner will it ? after another female has had use of it.
You used to say live and let live, what happened, you changed your philosophy since your return.

Dry your eyes Princess. It .. was .. a .. joke.

You will notice how I am not taking offence to your "one careful owner" jibe. Thats because I have a sense of humour and I will laugh at jokes aimed at me. For instance if you ever cracked a funny I would laugh. Now move along and read the rules on "minimum speed limits" there's a good lad.

By the way I bumped into Punctuation on my travels, he wonders why you never use him anymore. Oh and take the boxing gloves off before you type. It will help, trust me.

Humourless people like you are killing message boards.

tonkatojo
13-Aug-09, 16:58
Dry your eyes Princess. It .. was .. a .. joke.

You will notice how I am not taking offence to your "one careful owner" jibe. Thats because I have a sense of humour and I will laugh at jokes aimed at me. For instance if you ever cracked a funny I would laugh. Now move along and read the rules on "minimum speed limits" there's a good lad.

By the way I bumped into Punctuation on my travels, he wonders why you never use him anymore. Oh and take the boxing gloves off before you type. It will help, trust me.

Humourless people like you are killing message boards.

Jokes are meant to be humour, look at post 15 and give your interpretation of those mentioned tell them as you run along quoting your "minimum speed limits", also I don't profess to be as literate as the best on the org, life is full of bumps of knowledge, as the experienced in life well know.

By the way the people in the car park, did they take offence at your remarks or did they take it as a joke ?.

Gene Hunt
13-Aug-09, 17:22
Jokes are meant to be humour, look at post 15 and give your interpretation of those mentioned tell them as you run along quoting your "minimum speed limits", also I don't profess to be as literate as the best on the org, life is full of bumps of knowledge, as the experienced in life well know.

By the way the people in the car park, did they take offence at your remarks or did they take it as a joke ?.

I dont really know how they took it. I didnt stick around to find out, from the zombie-brain-dead look of them they are probably still trying to work out what some of the words mean. I couldnt give a fig either, they held me and loads of other people up by driving along at a snails pace while obviously having an animated discussion instead of paying attention to the road. My comments at them werent meant as a joke, they were posing a hazard to other road users instead of paying attention to what they were doing.

You obviously think its ok to drive along under the speed limit for the section of road. There are times when that is a good idea, built up areas that might have children running around in them, around schools etc etc. I am all for that, I practice it myself on occasion. What I dont do however is drive around blatantly holding up other road users. The elderly are among the worst in my view and half the time look like they are drugged up to the eyeballs and at least twenty seconds behind events on the road.

changilass
13-Aug-09, 17:39
Some of these slow coaches need to watch what they are doing, they might just get done for kerb crawling, and that IS and offence :lol:

Rheghead
13-Aug-09, 17:52
At least the traffic was moving, how many times do we see two drivers stopping in the road in opposite directions just to get the Caithness craic?:roll:

hotrod4
13-Aug-09, 17:57
At least the traffic was moving, how many times do we see two drivers stopping in the road in opposite directions just to get the Caithness craic?:roll:
Whats e craic e night then rheghead, no bad weather for this time of year!(Oops better watch and no slow down this thread [lol])

tonkatojo
13-Aug-09, 17:59
I dont really know how they took it. I didnt stick around to find out, from the zombie-brain-dead look of them they are probably still trying to work out what some of the words mean. I couldnt give a fig either, they held me and loads of other people up by driving along at a snails pace while obviously having an animated discussion instead of paying attention to the road. My comments at them werent meant as a joke, they were posing a hazard to other road users instead of paying attention to what they were doing.

You obviously think its ok to drive along under the speed limit for the section of road. There are times when that is a good idea, built up areas that might have children running around in them, around schools etc etc. I am all for that, I practice it myself on occasion. What I dont do however is drive around blatantly holding up other road users. The elderly are among the worst in my view and half the time look like they are drugged up to the eyeballs and at least twenty seconds behind events on the road.

My opinion is, the young drugged up with recreation drugs are a site worse than those on prescribed medication, perhaps the worst are those who are drugged up to the eyeballs with selfritiousness.
yes I believe in driving the speed I want to, unless there is an official minimum speed limit, not the one being dictated by those in the end of my last paragraph.

Gene Hunt
13-Aug-09, 18:09
My opinion is, the young drugged up with recreation drugs are a site worse than those on prescribed medication, perhaps the worst are those who are drugged up to the eyeballs with selfritiousness.
yes I believe in driving the speed I want to, unless there is an official minimum speed limit, not the one being dictated by those in the end of my last paragraph.

So you openly admit you drive to the speed you want to ??, so much for your years of experience making you a better and more considerate driver then. As someone who openly admits to having no regard for the Highway Code rules on this and the principle of keeping traffic flowing you have lost all sensible footing in the argument havent you ??

Now you are babbling on about the young being "drugged up" (what ??) being worse than those on perscription medication when both are a hazard to driving safely. And the word you are looking for is "self righteousness" I believe. As in "I believe in driving the speed I WANT to" as opposed to the rules that are set down for yourself and other road users.

tonkatojo
13-Aug-09, 18:25
So you openly admit you drive to the speed you want to ??, so much for your years of experience making you a better and more considerate driver then. As someone who openly admits to having no regard for the Highway Code rules on this and the principle of keeping traffic flowing you have lost all sensible footing in the argument havent you ??

Now you are babbling on about the young being "drugged up" (what ??) being worse than those on perscription medication when both are a hazard to driving safely. And the word you are looking for is "self righteousness" I believe. As in "I believe in driving the speed I WANT to" as opposed to the rules that are set down for yourself and other road users.

you got in one,well done. Experience is a wonderful thing ,fortunately I have plenty as my driving licence is proof for any one to inspect, could you say truthfully the same ?.
Babbling on, examine your own posts my friend, googled " self righteousness" that's what it came up with, just goes to show all things are not reliable.
I should have been more specific and said prescription drugs that quote safe to drive with as per the instructions, but the ones high on "self righteousness" or recreation drugs, now that's a different thing altogether.

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-09, 18:45
Just one point, folks.

I'm not too concerned about the odd tourist wandering about (annoying as it is), my first post was deliberately targetted at those who were obviously taking part in some sort of group 'event' around Wick.

I am usualy a bit slow on the uptake, but I have just read through this thread again and apart from the odd spat that has developed it seems I am the only one that has realised that the OP was talking about a recent treasure hunt.

Now that does make me grind my teeth.

I have come to the conclusion that the topic of conversation would consist of "how long do you think we can keep this white settler standing before he flashes"? It is my policy to wave and smile politely. :D

Gene Hunt
13-Aug-09, 18:47
you got in one,well done. Experience is a wonderful thing ,fortunately I have plenty as my driving licence is proof for any one to inspect, could you say truthfully the same ?.
Babbling on, examine your own posts my friend, googled " self righteousness" that's what it came up with, just goes to show all things are not reliable.
I should have been more specific and said prescription drugs that quote safe to drive with as per the instructions, but the ones high on "self righteousness" or recreation drugs, now that's a different thing altogether.

So you basically take the line that you drive at any speed you like up to the speed limit because you have been driving for forty odd years and obviously know better than the Highway code in your view. Your attitude, if you sat a test today, would result in a fail. Relying on your experience doesnt make you a good driver. It doesnt even qualify you to drive Miss Daisy. A speed you probably struggle to reach actually. I also have a clean driving licence and have passed an Advanced Driver course sponsored by the local Police. I dont think that makes me a great driver though, it just makes me more aware of the hazards. Hazards like you, people who think the rules dont apply to them.

Tell you what. I know what I will do. I will go into work tomorrow and when I am controlling aircraft on Zone I will say "I have been doing this for so long, I'm an experienced controller so the rules dont apply to me. I am going to take these aircraft in on any heading I want and at any speed I want because I'm great !! " .. tell me .. Would you want to be a passenger under my control ??, would you want to be in the same patch of sky even ?? do you think that is a responsible attitude ?? or are you happy to put your very life on the line against my "experience" being enough to avoid a 737 headbutting you at 450 Kts ??

I have done hundreds of shifts at Airports where in a single day I had responsiblity for more human life than a Surgeon has in an entire career. So if you want to brag on capability consider that statistic. That "experience" means that I am more aware than most of the need to operate within the rules. Not outside them.

Phill
13-Aug-09, 18:52
Oooh the hand bags are being waved aren't they!

On a more serious note, back to the top of the thread.....
Car crusher, Woodchipper... Public stoning ?

northener
13-Aug-09, 18:54
.....where does it say Northener or Gene hunt rules in the highway code, I must have missed that bit.

One good idea, Tonkatojo, is to read a post properly. I have stated that I have no problem with the odd tourist (or local) wandering about a bit...up to a point.

My criticisms are aimed squarely at group of motorists who were obviously out as part of some sort of organised rally or some such thing. They chose to drive at a ridiculously low speed on an 'A' road and inconvenience other road users with their thoughtless and selfish actions.

I do not expect some ridiculous idea of 'priority' over my fellow road users, I do not believe that my advanced driving skills elevate me to some sort of God-like status when compared to mere proles who only hold bog-standard DVLA licences, however I do expect them to travel at a speed that is reasonable for the road and conditions at that moment in time.
Which is something I and millions of other road users manage to do day in, day out without holding people up or creating dangerous situations through selfish actions.

Thankyou.

Gene Hunt
13-Aug-09, 19:07
Oooh the hand bags are being waved aren't they!

On a more serious note, back to the top of the thread.....
Car crusher, Woodchipper... Public stoning ?

Its not a hanbag Phill .. its my Manbag .. ;)

And it has to be the woodchipper. It would ideal for tonkawhatsisname as the Model T he probably cruises about in shaking his hand at all those darn crazy speed freak whipersnappers is mostly made of wood anyway.

Just off to oil the blades .. [evil]

tonkatojo
13-Aug-09, 19:19
So you basically take the line that you drive at any speed you like up to the speed limit because you have been driving for forty odd years and obviously know better than the Highway code in your view. Your attitude, if you sat a test today, would result in a fail. Relying on your experience doesnt make you a good driver. It doesnt even qualify you to drive Miss Daisy. A speed you probably struggle to reach actually. I also have a clean driving licence and have passed an Advanced Driver course sponsored by the local Police. I dont think that makes me a great driver though, it just makes me more aware of the hazards. Hazards like you, people who think the rules dont apply to them.

Tell you what. I know what I will do. I will go into work tomorrow and when I am controlling aircraft on Zone I will say "I have been doing this for so long, I'm an experienced controller so the rules dont apply to me. I am going to take these aircraft in on any heading I want and at any speed I want because Im great !! " .. tell me .. Would you want to be a passenger under my control ??, would you want to be in the same patch of sky even ?? do you think that is a responsible attitude ?? or are you happy to put your very life on the line against my "experience" being enough to avoid a 737 headbutting you at 450 Kts ??

I have done hundreds of shifts at Airports where in a single day I had responsiblity for more human life than a Surgeon has in an entire career. So if you want to brag on capability consider that statistic. That "experience" means that I am more aware than most of the need to operate within the rules. Not outside them.

Brag as much as you like about your occupation, experience counts even in your profession.
You didn't answer the question regarding your license,for how long has it been clean.
It states "drive with consideration to other road users" well that works both ways even to the self righteous (got it right this time :roll:). But nowhere does it state drive to the limit of the speed applicable. "miss daisy or no miss daisy"
Also where did I say what speed I would drive at ? , perhaps you should be more considerate to other road users that do not want to drive at your speed, rules is rules for advanced drivers as well, do as it says in the highway code and overtake when safe to do so.
you are being very presumptuous in your rubbish statements, but are incorrect regarding me being a hazard because I want to drive at my speed (which I have not stated).
To quote you, run along and complain to your police inspector or whinge to your fellow traffic controllers tomorrow.

tonkatojo
13-Aug-09, 19:38
One good idea, Tonkatojo, is to read a post properly. I have stated that I have no problem with the odd tourist (or local) wandering about a bit...up to a point.

My criticisms are aimed squarely at group of motorists who were obviously out as part of some sort of organised rally or some such thing. They chose to drive at a ridiculously low speed on an 'A' road and inconvenience other road users with their thoughtless and selfish actions.

I do not expect some ridiculous idea of 'priority' over my fellow road users, I do not believe that my advanced driving skills elevate me to some sort of God-like status when compared to mere proles who only hold bog-standard DVLA licences, however I do expect them to travel at a speed that is reasonable for the road and conditions at that moment in time.
Which is something I and millions of other road users manage to do day in, day out without holding people up or creating dangerous situations through selfish actions.

Thankyou.

Well you didn't make it clear until the 17th post (I think it was). bog standard driving licence or advanced makes no difference, do as the rule says and drive with consideration to other road users, that works both ways. What you expect and what others want to do are two different things, you are not the only road user that has rights. Those who apparently as you say were on an organised rally can and do please themselves, they are no worse than the cyclists you defend so rightly using the road as they are entitled to (slowly, selfishly riding two abreast perhaps).
For all you speed limit drivers, millions do not want to drive to the limit, respect them, as the rule book is so often quoted and overtake when safe to do so.

Gene Hunt
13-Aug-09, 19:48
Brag as much as you like about your occupation, experience counts even in your profession.
You didn't answer the question regarding your license,for how long has it been clean.
It states "drive with consideration to other road users" well that works both ways even to the self righteous (got it right this time :roll:). But nowhere does it state drive to the limit of the speed applicable. "miss daisy or no miss daisy"
Also where did I say what speed I would drive at ? , perhaps you should be more considerate to other road users that do not want to drive at your speed, rules is rules for advanced drivers as well, do as it says in the highway code and overtake when safe to do so.
you are being very presumptuous in your rubbish statements, but are incorrect regarding me being a hazard because I want to drive at my speed (which I have not stated).
To quote you, run along and complain to your police inspector or whinge to your fellow traffic controllers tomorrow.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7387/facepalmubw.jpg
(http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=facepalmubw.jpg)

northener
13-Aug-09, 20:22
........ you are not the only road user that has rights.

Thankyou for pointing that out to me.

Those who apparently as you say were on an organised rally can and do please themselves,

No they cannot, they have a duty to travel at a speed that does not cause unecessary hinderance or complications to other road users. They are driving vehicles that are capable of travelling at a speed that will not hinder other road users in their progress - so therefore they have to drive responsibly where necessary.
If traffic can get past unhindered - there is no problem. If cars are being forced to travel at 10-15mph in a clear 30mph zone or 15-20mph in a clear 60 zone through the thoughtless actions of other drivers, then this is not acceptable. The slower vehicles have a duty to pull over where safe to do so - or attain a reasonably acceptable speed for the road they are travelling on.

they are no worse than the cyclists you defend so rightly using the road as they are entitled to (slowly, selfishly riding two abreast perhaps).

If you cannot see the difference between cyclists travelling at, say, 10mph on any road and a car travelling at the same speed on the same section, then for all your 'experience' you disappoint me. The cyclist cannot go faster...the car most certainly can. And should. I'd have thought that someone with so much 'experience' of HGV's and PSV's would be more than aware of this.

How about pulling 38 tons plus up Berriedale Braes and then having someone dawdling along in front of you at 10 mph in a 2-litre car 'just because they can'? You'd not be so forgiving then, my fine friend.........

For all you speed limit drivers, millions do not want to drive to the limit, respect them, as the rule book is so often quoted and overtake when safe to do so.

I, along with millions of other motorists do respect those who are a little slower on the road. What we are talking about here is blatantly ignoring the traffic and conditions and doing what the hell we want to. There's a massive gulf between taking it steady and being an ignorant arse.

Phill
13-Aug-09, 20:25
Oh my, Oh my.
Gene Hunt has gone all metro sexual and got a man bag! (the end is nigh) however he can do a few major surgeries with the hand he has tied behind his back during ATCO duties.
nortener has assumed a God-like status due to his driving skills. He is clearly not with it as I am the best driver ever!
tonkatojo is biggin' it up for the 10mph Micra drivers, woohoo. But an interesting point he makes:

"For all you speed limit drivers, millions do not want to drive to the limit, respect them, as the rule book is so often quoted and overtake when safe to do so"
Also is is not the flipside to pay "due care and attention" and pull over to allow traffic to pass?
Ok, you want to 12mph in a 30 zone, I might want to do 24mph in a 30 zone. But why should I have to sit behind you when you could pull over (when safe to do so of course)?

northener
13-Aug-09, 20:31
Oh my, Oh my.
Gene Hunt has gone all metro sexual and got a man bag! (the end is nigh) however he can do a few major surgeries with the hand he has tied behind his back during ATCO duties.

I believe this is standard ATCO practice...

nortener has assumed a God-like status due to his driving skills. He is clearly not with it as I am the best driver ever!

I'll hit you with a thunderbolt if you keep it up, cheeky git.....

tonkatojo is biggin' it up for the 10mph Micra drivers, woohoo.

I'm damn sure he was one of the drivers I saw......

cuddlepop
13-Aug-09, 20:45
My Oh was home after 7.30 tonight,two hours over his usual time.

Someone had parked in the turning bay at Elgol pier which meant he had to wait until said "illegally parked" person returned.
By this time the road was jammed solid.Owner returned who then proceeded to blame "the lorry driver".
When it was pointed out to him the police where on the way because of his actions ,he shut up.:roll:

The excuse given by said "illegally parked" person was that there was no where else to park.

No parking place means you cant park,or Am I missing a hidden rule about turning place only.:confused

I cant believe just how ignorant some road users are.:mad:

Gene Hunt
13-Aug-09, 20:50
Oh my, Oh my.

Yup. And more besides.

I am an expert at getting things down safely, this was apparent at the age of 16 when I mastered the knack of undoing a bra strap with one hand. I just upped the scale and moved on to getting up to ten stewardess bra's at a time down every 30 seconds. We all play to our talents. The fact the Stewardess remained completely in them doesnt alter the fact that I have lowered more female underwear than you all combined .. ;)*

I dont have a Man Bag. I just said that as I had no other option, the only other possible answer was Nav Bag and that would have made me sound like a Pilot. I would rather people think I was into hardcore man love to be honest. There is a reason I have an Air Traffic t-shirt that says "Better my sister is a Hooker than my brother a Pilot" .. :D

* .. Dont tell the wife.

Phill
13-Aug-09, 21:16
I have lowered more female underwear than you all combined

Sir, I salute you. However I fear you may have lowered more male underwear than most of us also.

I just hope that no matter of which sex it belonged to it came down clean.

I could go on about the skid marks once things had bottomed out but I fear I may cause unnecessary panic.

:evil

Alice in Blunderland
13-Aug-09, 21:19
Ding ding time out........................... :)

< Alice awaits the next round ;) >

Phill
13-Aug-09, 21:23
Ding ding time out........................... :)

Time out nothing, brassiere's have been mentioned!
We're just warming up!

nudge, nudge fnarr, fnarr

Alice in Blunderland
13-Aug-09, 21:25
Time out nothing, brassiere's have been mentioned!
We're just warming up!

nudge, nudge fnarr, fnarr

Oh you boys :roll::roll: bra's and cars what next........................ :Razz

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-09, 22:04
Oh you boys :roll: bra's and cars what next........................ :Razz

Did I ever mention my 1974 Ford 4000 tractor? :roll:

jimbews
13-Aug-09, 22:11
Don't preach to some one who has probably driven more miles in all traffic than you have experienced in Caithness tearing around with next to no traffic.

Actually, I left Caithness 44 years ago, even if I do still refer to it fondly as the place I was brought up.

I have driven for 42 years without a blemish on my licence, thats driving psv's for 20 years hgv's for 15 years
Sorry if I appeared to jump to conclusions. I have a great regard for the "knights of the road", but perhaps that is because they are aware of what is going on round about them, unlike many other motorists. They usually have a schedule that does mean they drive at reasonable speeds if allowed to by other road users.

As for pulling in to allow overtaking, how many laybyes are there when you want one in caithness ?
Haven't a clue. But I was conscious on a recent trip to Skye how considerate most lorry drivers (and many caravanners) were.

In any case, I don't think its actually slow driving that is being criticised, it's the combination of slow driving and lack of awareness of the traffic conditions. You can be pretty sure here that the driver who crawls along the main road at 35mph, braking at every bend and oncoming car, will be the one who actually increases speed in a built-up area. They are also likely to have no indicators (I alway go that way to ...) and ignore mini-roundabouts (and their rules) because they weren't there 20 years ago.

Anyway, that's my opinion.
I'm not trying to tell you that my driving is perfect, because I am conscious that it is not, and that (as with any other aspect of life) it is a process of continuous learning.

JimBews

Tristan
13-Aug-09, 22:23
To be honest I don't mind if people want/need to drive slowly as long as they have courtesy and decency to pull over and let other pass.

Alan16
13-Aug-09, 22:50
On the road from Lybster to Wick today I had to pass 3 cars and then ended up stuck behind another slow twerp on the long straight with traffic coming the other way. Whatever anyone says about being safe and enjoying the scenery, 30mph on an A road is ridiculous and dangerous. The limit is 60mph, so people should really be driving at 50mph to 60mph - anything less just is not safe.

Bazeye
14-Aug-09, 00:19
Id love to join in this argument but I dont drive.:~(

northener
14-Aug-09, 01:58
Id love to join in this argument but I dont drive.:~(

Neither do I......

Alice in Blunderland
14-Aug-09, 08:25
Neither do I......

http://blog.tystoybox.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/pinocchio.jpg

NORTHENER now you know what happened to pinocchio ...........;)

Phill
14-Aug-09, 08:37
NORTHENER now you know what happened to pinocchio ...........;)

No, really, I've seen him, he can't.....
[smirk]

northener
14-Aug-09, 10:14
No, really, I've seen him, he can't.....
[smirk]

Jeeves! Release the hounds at once!

sweetpea
14-Aug-09, 10:29
Just a thought - was it at the time of the gala car treasure hunt, they go awful slow for that.

hotrod4
14-Aug-09, 10:31
Just a thought - was it at the time of the gala car treasure hunt, they go awful slow for that.
5 Points to sweetpea!!![lol]

sweetpea
14-Aug-09, 10:47
Oh dear there goes my clean license again!:roll:

northener
14-Aug-09, 10:47

If the cap fits............

tonkatojo
14-Aug-09, 11:42
Aye your post 34 is quite applicable Gene.

http://forum.caithness.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4281&stc=1&d=1250246367

hope this works (I'm not as clever as some). This is mine.

Gene Hunt
14-Aug-09, 12:00
Aye your post 34 is quite applicable Gene.

http://forum.caithness.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4281&stc=1&d=1250246367

hope this works (I'm not as clever as some). This is mine.

And I will raise you ..

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8209/stupidolddriver.jpg

tonkatojo
14-Aug-09, 12:47
And I will raise you ..

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8209/stupidolddriver.jpg

Laugh all you want at the infirm/disabled, perhaps you might I say might lightly live to under stand.
By the way I am 59 years old and not a easily intimidated as you would wish.
My first car was bought for me by my father, a triumph herald convertable, bought to enhance my apprenticeship, the oldest vehicle I have owned was an austin gypsy, I have even owned your name sakes ford cortina mk3 2000 gt and even an mgb gt but not as powerful as the austin healey 3000 or the E type v12 nor were these as powerful as the suzuki 500 I owned in my youth.
So laugh away boy, and play with your, what is a mondeo, who cares. Once again experience counts.

hotrod4
14-Aug-09, 13:38
Laugh all you want at the infirm/disabled, perhaps you might I say might lightly live to under stand.
My first car was bought for me by my father, a triumph herald convertable, bought to enhance my apprenticeship, the oldest vehicle I have owned was an austin gypsy, I have even owned your name sakes ford cortina mk3 2000 gt and even an mgb gt but not as powerful as the austin healey 3000 or the E type v12 nor were these as powerful as the suzuki 500 I owned in my youth.
So laugh away boy, and play with your, what is a mondeo, who cares. Once again experience counts.
I think (Unless I am mistaken) that gene is merely Lightening the mood and isnt attacking you in every post. He is merely having a laugh WITH you not AT you.
Thats what I am taking from it anyway.
Lifes too short to revert to counting post numbers!!:roll:

Alan16
14-Aug-09, 14:17

I thought that was why they were numbered. :D

tonkatojo
14-Aug-09, 14:26
I think (Unless I am mistaken) that gene is merely Lightening the mood and isnt attacking you in every post. He is merely having a laugh WITH you not AT you.
Thats what I am taking from it anyway.

Read the previous 59 posts and see if you think he is humorous, He is blatantly anti aged, nor very funny.

Phill
14-Aug-09, 14:51
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac187/WickAirport/deathbymicra.jpg

The image has been altered to protect the innocent(?) and to lighten the speedo.
Taken by my passenger yesterday, proof of dawdling Doris doing less than 15mph in a 60 zone for no good reason.
Sat behind her for nearly 2 miles while she passed 8 passing places and didn't pull in.

Probably had her license for 40 odd years and probably never had an accident in all that time either. Doesn't look in her rear view mirror either though.

Laugh at her? I nearly cried!

Now, what was the subject......euthanasia?

Bazeye
14-Aug-09, 15:02
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac187/WickAirport/deathbymicra.jpg

Probably had her license for 40 odd years and probably never had an accident in all that time either.

How the hell can you have an accident going at that speed?

hotrod4
14-Aug-09, 15:26
Read the previous 59 posts and see if you think he is humorous, He is blatantly anti aged, nor very funny.
Made me laugh sorry, I can see where he's coming from.Its called a sense of humour and lightening the tone somewhat.
Maybe if you check the classifieds somone may have a funny bone for sale,would flog you mine but its well used!!![lol]

Mik.M.
14-Aug-09, 15:43
Made me laugh sorry, I can see where he's coming from.Its called a sense of humour and lightening the tone somewhat.
Maybe if you check the classifieds somone may have a funny bone for sale,would flog you mine but its well used!!![lol]
Nice to see you joining in with the sarcasm Hotrod4.

hotrod4
14-Aug-09, 15:50
Nice to see you joining in with the sarcasm Hotrod4.
I dont know them are they a new orger? Or do you mean sarCARsm![lol]

tonkatojo
14-Aug-09, 16:05

Good for you getting a laugh at other folks expense, you obviously share the same tastes and prejudices. When its funny or a laugh count me in otherwise forget it. looked in classifieds and no humerus bones going but will keep checking, but it wont be bought at the expense of the old/infirm or less well off or less educated.

Gene Hunt
14-Aug-09, 16:36

Very Interesting. Thanks for that. The next time I have trouble sleeping I will read it to help me drop off. The only thing you apparently have experience at is boring people to the point that they want to shave with a chainsaw. And you do, trust me. Top tip for you. If you are going to take digs at people at least man up and take the response. Its called banter. I am not laughing at the infirm/disabled/or whoever. I am laughing directly at you, and you alone. Just as you have done at me. I can take it though and I dont feel the need to spit the dummy and play offended unlike you so please just get on the outrage bus and sit at the back muttering away. With your attitude to driving its the safest place for you.

Oh and I drive an Audi S4, not a Mondeo. I was waiting for you to take the mickey out of the fact that my daughter damaged it. It would have given me the opportunity of pointing out that she drove it faster backwards than you go forwards.

joxville
14-Aug-09, 16:51
Hmmm.....drive too slow and you're a nuisance, drive too fast and you're a maniac. :roll:

[lol]

Gene Hunt
14-Aug-09, 16:53
Hmmm.....drive too slow and you're a nuisance, drive too fast and you're a maniac. :roll:

[lol]

Where have you been Jox ?? .. I thought you had eloped with Katie Melua.

Mik.M.
14-Aug-09, 16:58
In his dreams maybe.

tonkatojo
14-Aug-09, 17:13
Very Interesting. Thanks for that. The next time I have trouble sleeping I will read it to help me drop off. The only thing you apparently have experience at is boring people to the point that they want to shave with a chainsaw. And you do, trust me. Top tip for you. If you are going to take digs at people at least man up and take the response. Its called banter. I am not laughing at the infirm/disabled/or whoever. I am laughing directly at you, and you alone. Just as you have done at me. I can take it though and I dont feel the need to spit the dummy and play offended unlike you so please just get on the outrage bus and sit at the back muttering away. With your attitude to driving its the safest place for you.

Oh and I drive an Audi S4, not a Mondeo. I was waiting for you to take the mickey out of the fact that my daughter damaged it. It would have given me the opportunity of pointing out that she drove it faster backwards than you go forwards.

Got a serviceable mac 335 you can have, practice what you preach with the banter and not act the know it all wise guy. your posts are there to be read, examine them and tell me who you were extracting the michael from, you presumed me to be old/infirm like your last photos posted. I done something similar to your daughter when inexperienced, shrugged it off as another bump of knowledge, yes I have had plenty of other type of knowledge bumped into me but they are a different thing. Laughing are you, well it couldn't match the smirk on my face with your denials. Probably she does or you do go faster than myself, the thrill of speed isn't a thrill to me any more, been there done it had the tee shirts worn them out and now act my age, try it. Also I don't live anywhere near a bus route now, so you keep that service for when you need to cool off. I am over the sleepless nights, no worries now to keep me awake, unlike some.

End of, I have had enough of hypocrisy.

Gene Hunt
14-Aug-09, 17:23
Got a serviceable mac 335 you can have, practice what you preach with the banter and not act the know it all wise guy. your posts are there to be read, examine them and tell me who you were extracting the michael from, you presumed me to be old/infirm like your last photos posted. I done something similar to your daughter when inexperienced, shrugged it off as another bump of knowledge, yes I have had plenty of other type of knowledge bumped into me but they are a different thing. Laughing are you, well it couldn't match the smirk on my face with your denials. Probably she does or you do go faster than myself, the thrill of speed isn't a thrill to me any more, been there done it had the tee shirts worn them out and now act my age, try it. Also I don't live anywhere near a bus route now, so you keep that service for when you need to cool off. I am over the sleepless nights, no worries now to keep me awake, unlike some.

What an utter dullard you are. Bye.

hotrod4
14-Aug-09, 17:26

Do you have to be sooooooooo serious? Cant you lighten up and see that the world is not as dark as you think it is?
If you can dish it out then you should be able to take it! At least some are trying to make light hearted remarks to and fro and dont get all "I'm the headmaster get over my knee" type thing!
Try relaxing between posts and not taking those so serious, chill, plant a flower, watch Cash in the attic,pour yourselfa nip, just CHILL!!!:roll:

joxville
14-Aug-09, 17:26

I wish. :)

In his dreams maybe.

Without dreams we may as well give up living. :~(

hotrod4
14-Aug-09, 17:30
I wish. :)

Without dreams we may as well give up living. :~(
I do believe a lady with an eye patch did say the very same thing!
Maybe she should have taken a leaf from Tracy Chapman and wrote a song about a car?;)

Phill
14-Aug-09, 20:08
How the hell can you have an accident going at that speed?

Well, after the blood rush of pulling some G's at 15mph she had to jump on the brakes to try and negotiate a high speed bend!
I daren't watch in case it turned into total carnage, but, she just managed to whip it round closely missing the ditch at the side of the road.

I kid you not, I thought she was gonna ditch it.

gleeber
14-Aug-09, 22:08
I have a lot of sympathy with tonkatojos view although I'm not immune from the frustration you all feel when driving behind slow drivers. It worries me though. What is it that winds me up so much? It's dangerous to get so wound up and it could be construed as road rage.
2 wrongs dont make a right after all.

squidge
15-Aug-09, 00:56
You know - whenever my darling husband gets fed up with a conversation or thinks its run its course or is about to degenerate into a tit for tat squabble ( see the similarity???) he changes the subject - usually abruptly- to football. Given that this is Caithness.org and football banter isnt allowed perhaps we could find an equivalent subject changing issue to drop into the threads we think it fits..... Suggestions please.................;)

Fran
15-Aug-09, 02:24
Just one point, folks.

Well it was gala week and there is always a treasure hunt. why are drivers always in such a hurry...lesss haste more speed.

Fran
15-Aug-09, 02:32
On the road from Lybster to Wick today I had to pass 3 cars and then ended up stuck behind another slow twerp on the long straight with traffic coming the other way. Whatever anyone says about being safe and enjoying the scenery, 30mph on an A road is ridiculous and dangerous. The limit is 60mph, so people should really be driving at 50mph to 60mph - anything less just is not safe.
################################################

Lybster to wick is a very bendy road, not easy to overtake, not worth the risk at times. It's a fact that Latheron to wick is one of the most dangerous roads in Britain.

hotrod4
15-Aug-09, 06:48

Lybster to wick is a very bendy road, not easy to overtake, not worth the risk at times. It's a fact that Latheron to wick is one of the most dangerous roads in Britain.
What makes that road worse is people driving slowly and "gazing" at what is a beautiful coast. If they pulled into the layby at clyth they can gaze all day.
That road requires "strategic" driving!!! I always plan my possible overtake spots if I am behind a tractor or rubbernecking tourists!!!:lol:

northener
15-Aug-09, 10:55
Well it was gala week and there is always a treasure hunt. why are drivers always in such a hurry...lesss haste more speed.

"There is always a treasure hunt"

Fran, I'd expect a more rational comment from you.

I never had you down as a Caithness " I've always done this, so it is Ok as far as I am concerned" driver. We're talking about a fairly substantial number of cars, driving at a speed where they are causing unecessary problems for other road users, not just one driver who maybe isn't as confident as they should be.

I've never, ever complained about, say, tractors on a rally from JOG, floats in parades and carnivals, large groups of cyclists ets..etc..you get the picture. Simply because they are travelling at the speeds that they safely capable of. And, usually, they'll be corteous and try not to cause problems for other road users....which is what other road users (like me) should be doing to them.

There's aworld of difference there. The people in this 'treasure hunt' were showing absolutely no consideration for anyone else on the road, the muppets I was behind weren't even checking their mirrors to see if they were holding anyone up and taking appropriate action. That's what I'm banging on about.
If you want to travel slowly, get out of the way and let peope past, if you cannot pull over, get your speed up until you can. No excuses. End of.

[quote=] Lybster to wick is a very bendy road, not easy to overtake, not worth the risk at times. It's a fact that Latheron to wick is one of the most dangerous roads in Britain.

Myth. Words bandied about by the media.

There are very few 'dangerous roads'.

A 'dangerous road' would be one subject to, say, rock falls, landslides or regular extremely strong winds. Anything that would be deemed to be outside the drivers control.

You mean drivers drive in a dangerous manner on the Lybster to Wick road. Simple as. Nothing to do with the road, the surface is reasonable and there are no changes in direction or gradient that cannot be dealt with by using forward planning and good observation...and reading the signs.....

Alan16
15-Aug-09, 13:39

The road is perfectly fine for overtaking - lots of the time it is flat, and although bendy, there are a few straight parts (i.e. just before the two churches when heading north; just after Ulbster or whatever that place is called - a long straight there; just after Thrumster, you can see a long way there and it is relatively straight).

As other people said, it only requires forward planning.

And what is with the #s?

dragonfly
15-Aug-09, 18:16
probably going off topic a bit but today I saw the biggest berk ever!!

I was driving down a road in thurso cars parked on my side of the road so I was on the oncoming side, car came towards us, I braked, went into reverse to go back to a space I could pull into to let him pass as it was his right of way but before I could do this he had mounted the pavement and drove right past me and his offside tyres were on someones lawn - know who he is and am considering reporting him for wreckless driving.

The guy should know better as he's in his late 50's!! [evil]

northener
15-Aug-09, 18:27
probably going off topic a bit but today I saw the biggest berk ever!!

I was driving down a road in thurso cars parked on my side of the road so I was on the oncoming side, car came towards us, I braked, went into reverse to go back to a space I could pull into to let him pass as it was his right of way but before I could do this he had mounted the pavement and drove right past me and his offside tyres were on someones lawn - know who he is and am considering reporting him for wreckless driving.

The guy should know better as he's in his late 50's!! [evil]

Uh...I was late for something important.........and the lawn just jumped out in front of me.....[para]

dragonfly
15-Aug-09, 19:04
ha, it wasn't you northerner - not that i know who you are but doubt you are this clown............you are another clown :lol:

Fran
16-Aug-09, 01:54
The road is perfectly fine for overtaking - lots of the time it is flat, and although bendy, there are a few straight parts (i.e. just before the two churches when heading north; just after Ulbster or whatever that place is called - a long straight there; just after Thrumster, you can see a long way there and it is relatively straight).

As other people said, it only requires forward planning.

And what is with the #s?
You obvioualy didn't see the tv programme about dangerous roads then!

Alan16
16-Aug-09, 02:44

No, but I've driven it often enough and I know that it is safe enough to overtake on, no matter what you're television told you.

hotrod4
16-Aug-09, 06:44
No road is "Dangerous" its just the idiots that drive on it!. If you drive with due care and attention then the road isnt a hazard its the idiots who are "rubber necking", parking on corners,overtaking on double whites and speeding/driving too slow that are dangerous not the road. It is merely a lump of tarmac.

Mik.M.
16-Aug-09, 09:50
Keiss Gala Treasure Hunt today at 1pm so expect more berks driving slowly. Keep clear of the area if you are easily annoyed by these people. This could cause Northener some problems so there should be some more amusing posts later today.

Gene Hunt
16-Aug-09, 10:08
Why not make up laminated signs to leave on thier car when they park ??

Just print out something like .. "Thanks for holding me up back there. Have you considered a job Driving Miss Daisy ??, Ive seen glaciers move quicker than you. Take the bus next time you plonker." on A4 paper, laminate them and leave them under the windscreen wiper for their return to the car.

Simple and effective.

Bobinovich
16-Aug-09, 11:37
LOL I've got a good Mickey Mouse one for those who park inconsideratly - I'd share it here but would have to remove my own post and issue myself an infraction :lol:

Gene Hunt
16-Aug-09, 11:47
LOL I've got a good Mickey Mouse one for those who park inconsideratly - I'd share it here but would have to remove my own post and issue myself an infraction :lol:

Ah I think I know that one !!

Are the last six words on it .. "like you should take the Bus" ??

Mik.M.
16-Aug-09, 11:52
Ah I think I know that one !!

Are the last six words on it .. "like you should take the Bus" ??
Or is it the one with can opener on it?

Gene Hunt
16-Aug-09, 12:31
Or is it the one with can opener on it?

Now that one is a classic !!

I have just been down to our local Tesco and had to sit behind an old biddy whose car owed 90% of its forward motion purely to the fact that the earth is curved. When the lights went green she was still sitting there, I think she waiting for an invitaion to move off. Stupid old crone thought I. Then I stood on the horn. This brought her out of her nap and then what luck !!, she was going to Tesco too !!, I then had to sit behind her while she decided to look for a space. There were earthworms in the curb overtaking me. God only knows what was wrong with the dozen spaces she passed. At this point I was following her out of curiousity just to see where she would go. I then parked up and watched her perform a twenty six point parking proceedure that resulted in her managing to park her Toyota Yaris in such a way that she had both left wheels in the next space thus taking up two. She was then taken to task by another woman who had taken umbrage to the fact that she had parked inside the space she wanted to park in, the one next to Miss Daisy. Despite the fact there were dozens of other spaces empty. I was then shocked to find that the older parkingly challenged driver, despite having the speed of drugged snail, had the language of a squaddie.

I then disappeared just in case she realized it was me that had been tooting the horn.

Bobinovich
16-Aug-09, 12:35
Heh he, you're both right! A Google image search (http://images.google.co.uk/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi) for 'mickey mouse parking' turns it up ;)!

northener
16-Aug-09, 13:26
Keiss Gala Treasure Hunt today at 1pm so expect more berks driving slowly. Keep clear of the area if you are easily annoyed by these people. This could cause Northener some problems so there should be some more amusing posts later today.

Ah, they don't catch me out that easy. I hid in Wick town centre until it was all over...talk about out of the frying pan..........have you seen how those idiots park down there?

Mik.M.
16-Aug-09, 13:43
Ah, they don't catch me out that easy. I hid in Wick town centre until it was all over...talk about out of the frying pan..........have you seen how those idiots park down there?
Yes,of course I have. I have to drive a bus through Wick. Some days it seems as if all of Wick is parked on Bridge St or High St and Somerfield`s car park is empty.

Mrs Bucket
16-Aug-09, 13:55

If you are lucky you too may be a pensioner one day.

Gene Hunt
16-Aug-09, 14:24
If you are lucky you too may be a pensioner one day.

Great !!

Does that mean it will be ok for me to drive around like I am drugged, pose a hazard to other road users by driving well below the speed limit, and then take issue when someone makes a joke about it on the Internet ??

Sorry. Not my style. I will probably have thrown myself in the woodchipper long before then to ecape the wrath of Britians outraged pensioners. One of whom writes to my airport regularly asking for us to keep the aircraft noise down. Didnt she notice the rather large airport next door to the house when she viewed it before purchase a couple of years back ??

Pensioners think they have it bad ?? .. Im white, hetero and male. That means I am a member of the only group that you can openly insult and discriminate against. And yet you dont see me crying all the time when someone criticises me.

northener
16-Aug-09, 14:58
Yes,of course I have. I have to drive a bus through Wick. Some days it seems as if all of Wick is parked on Bridge St or High St and Somerfield`s car park is empty.

Bloody bus drivers. I'm sick of being held up by them, too.

What makes them think they can just stop and let people off? If there's someone parked in the bus stop area, the buses should just drive on and drop the passengers off a couple of miles up the road if necessary. They have no business whatsover pulling in and out and inconveniencing people like me.

Inconsiderate gits, what, with them and poxy taxi drivers thinking they own the road, there's really no point in driving anywhere in Caithness, you'll either get held up by dimwits with maps, have to drive over the top of a badly parked bus or suffer taxi drivers stopping outside shops to let silly old duffers in or out with their damned walking sticks and loose false teeth...

And then you've got people in big yellow parcel vans falling asleep for hours on end outside the Bank of Scotland.

I don't think I can stand it any more![evil]

It's madness out there........

golach
16-Aug-09, 16:21
silly old duffers in or out with their damned walking sticks and loose false teeth....

How dare you northener..........I resemble that!!!!!![lol]