PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: fellow walker

bagpuss
12-Aug-09, 22:51
Not for me- but for my friend in Wick, who, in the wake of some recent trauma now finds herself a little bit overweight, and unfit. She's looking for someone who wouldn't mind a bit of company on a not too strenuous walk about three times a week. Fellow walker can be either male or female, but must have a good sense of humour and happy to blether as you go. (she's too proud to ask for help herself)

If you PM me with contact details, I'll get these to her. She could really do with a bit of cheering up.

Bazeye
13-Aug-09, 00:23
Good luck, hope you find someone. You sound like a good friend, pity more people arent like you.

bagpuss
13-Aug-09, 02:40
Just concerned. I'm south and have been supporting her on the phone. She's been a carer for years as well as working full time, and when the relative she was looking after died, she didn't have a single person in the town where she's lived most of her life come to the house or ask if she wanted to go out for a coffee. It doesn't say an awful lot about community spirit in Wick I'm afraid.

I checked websites and there isn't any support for bereaved people from CRUSE either in Caithness.

It's fine and dandy for people with new babies to get out and meet other new parents- but who's there for middle aged people who sob into their pillows at night because they don't want to wake up in the morning?

I'm prepared to pay to get her a walking companion if no-one comes forward- I think she's a star and she deserves a break.

northener
13-Aug-09, 08:42
Bagpuss, maybe the Caithness Waybaggers may be able to help?

Some of their walks look pretty do-able for someone just starting out and I'm sure that if your friend explained what she was looking for, she would be made welcome.

Worth a try?

http://sport.caithness.org/article.php?id=211

bagpuss
13-Aug-09, 10:56
She works full time and still has to care for her father, so to get a day to do a long walk out of town requires cover and planning. To be honest just someone to get her out of the house into the fresh air for an hour a couple of times a week would make a difference. Its a companion she needs more than anything. We were at school together, but most of our group left for the south ages ago- and she's the only one left in Wick.

I get the feeling that no-one caters for people who just need company. Maybe what we all need is a dating agency for friends- I think bereaved people need this even more. The last time I was north I went out for coffee with her and noticed how in Wick families and small groups tend to close ranks and not invite even local people in. Remember the UK has an ageing population and most of that group if not single now will be in the not so distant future for the saddest reason of all.

trix
13-Aug-09, 15:52
what a nice friend ye are bagpuss...am all for playin 'e guid samaritin ;)

no too keen on 'e walkin bit as i get plenty o' exercise, but i do lek coffee.....(an wine) an am a carer for vulnerable adults so we wid hev lots in common :D

maybe she could get hersel a wee dowgie if she leks animals. she could go til 'e pound an get one that is a bit aulder an no lek...all excited 'e whole time.

its also a great way til meet people as lots o' dowg walkers blether til one anither....

no 'e first time twa dowgs hev bin 'e reason for romance, an kwite franky, there is a lot worse than a dowgs company :D

ask yer friend what she thinks an il gie her a shout if she wants.....

mumof2
13-Aug-09, 17:19
hi i live in wick just wondering if i would be any use to ur friend? i'm 26 but more than willing 2 go a wander while bairns r at school. where in wick does ur pal live?

Fran
15-Aug-09, 03:24
Just concerned. I'm south and have been supporting her on the phone. She's been a carer for years as well as working full time, and when the relative she was looking after died, she didn't have a single person in the town where she's lived most of her life come to the house or ask if she wanted to go out for a coffee. It doesn't say an awful lot about community spirit in Wick I'm afraid.

I checked websites and there isn't any support for bereaved people from CRUSE either in Caithness.

It's fine and dandy for people with new babies to get out and meet other new parents- but who's there for middle aged people who sob into their pillows at night because they don't want to wake up in the morning?

I'm prepared to pay to get her a walking companion if no-one comes forward- I think she's a star and she deserves a break.
##########################################
I know exactly what you mean. when "himself" died over a year ago, it was the loneliest time i have ever eperienced in my life, and i have lived here for 30 years!!!
Although there is no Cruise group here, except by phone, Caithness Cancer Support Group are there for the bereaved too, and not just through cancer, but for anyone bereaved. It helps to talk to others in the same position and we can help each other. Meetings are held on a Tuesday evening in wick. Please pm me.
What a good friend you are, wish i had one like you.My friends are all further south, and the one i had in Wick moved to Lewis but phones nearly every day and has been a great comfort to me.