PDA

View Full Version : New Years Day

JAWS
25-Mar-06, 23:19
I do so hope you have all been celebrating Ye Olde Englishe New Years Day! ;)
Don't overdo the Mead though, it's considered to be an aphrodisiac and is therefore be highly dangerous.

Chillie
26-Mar-06, 09:39
When was it? me being Scottish :lol: :lol:

weeboyagee
26-Mar-06, 15:21
When was it? me being Scottish
Every Saturday night in Thrumster!

WBG :cool:

obiron
26-Mar-06, 15:24
for some folk every night is new years night.

_Ju_
26-Mar-06, 15:37
I do so hope you have all been celebrating Ye Olde Englishe New Years Day! ;)
Don't overdo the Mead though, it's considered to be an aphrodisiac and is therefore be highly dangerous.

Is this what is known as Beltaine, Jaws?? I've been reading a couple of historical novels and as far as I can tell Beltaine is somewhere around now...:grin:

Royster1911
26-Mar-06, 20:37
Bit of a fuzz but i`m sure I celebrated it last night

JAWS
27-Mar-06, 00:07
Why is it that when I try to cause controversy it's me who ends u with the headache?
I really should have learned better by now!

To answer _Ju_'s post, Beltane is the 1st of May and is the Fire Festival of the Celtic Fire God Bel who, for some reason, seems to be tied in some way to the Phoenician Fire God Baal, of Biblical fame.
(Don't ask because I have no idea. Perhaps Crayola might help shed more light on that).

The New Year has changed from time to time more often than the weather. Before Italy became a unified Country the area apparently had no fewer than six different New Years Days.

The old New Years Day I referred to is the 25 March and was in several places in Europe, including not only England but Scotland as well from the Eleven Hundreds until 1752.
I assume that the 25 March was chosen because of it's association with the Christian connection with the Annunciation. Doing this meant it was close to the Pagan celebrations for the beginning of Spring and Beltane, without actually acknowledging the fact.

I'll bet you're sorry you asked now! :o)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
27-Mar-06, 00:15
Ooooooohhhh Jaws,I've never been so offended with a thread.I'll have to get in touch wi' the moderators!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: