PDA

View Full Version : Daughter passed her driving test ..

Gene Hunt
10-Aug-09, 11:59
.. and two days later she reversed my car into a trolley rack stanchon at an Asda car park. Cue a damaged bumper, light cluster and some panel and paint damage.

Fathers in this situation should avoid the pitfall of the doe eyed pleading daughter and NEVER give in to their "Awww Dad .." act and put them on the Insurance as a named driver. Failure to avoid this warning will result in you kneeling at the back of your car, arms outstretched like that guy in the Shawshank Redemption when he escaped the jail, yelling your angst at the damage to your pride and joy at the sky. People will stare.

Being a woman driver then the excuses started. It wasnt her apparently "it was the car Dad, I didnt do nothing" now either my daughter is lying and has the driving ability of a jellyfish or my car is not only posessed but it is suicidal too. Although to be fair she is trying to make it up to me by waiting on me hand and foot and has just called me to say she is making my favourtite for tea .. Lasagne. It isnt. Its just that its all she can really make so she has convinced herself its my favourite. She is determined to kill me it seems as she has less culinary skill than driving skill.

If your a father thinking of letting your daughter (or even your girlfriend/fiancee/wife) drive your car, or even put her on the Insurance for it then I suggest you watch this, learn and well, dont .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4

Kevin Milkins
10-Aug-09, 12:29
Congratulations on your daughter passing her test and if it is any comfort to her, my son wrote off my new van within a fortnight of passing his test.:mad:

I love the Harry Enfield clip, but somehow don't think you will get off lightly for posting it.:lol:

theone
10-Aug-09, 12:33
For months after passing my test the only time I was allowed the car was when I was with one of my parents.

Although I hated it at the time I think it made me a better driver, building confidence and experience before being let loose on the road.

I bet your daughter will be more careful reversing in future!

tonkatojo
10-Aug-09, 12:44
Congratulation to your daughter on her achievement (passing test) LOL hope she didn't start the way she intends to go on. ;)

kriklah
10-Aug-09, 13:01
on behalf of all women drivers out there i will say this, its not our driving thats at fault, but the environment around us;). in my defence, that bollard wasnt there when i started reversing, and the trolly park in tescos carpark actually attacked me, jumped right out and bit the driverside back door.:eek: how are we supposed to be good drivers when the very road we drive on glares at us with those beady little catseyes?!!!!

Alice in Blunderland
10-Aug-09, 14:00
In the defence of female drivers................................ ;)

Cost of letting my insurance company know my daughter had passed her test and would be driving without L plates ..........£17.50

Cost of my friend letting her insurance company know that her son had just passed his driving test and would be driving without L plates £ 200.

Now let me see :Razz .......girlies must have a better record according to the insurance companies................ Yes ? :lol:

Congratulations to your daughter on passing her test and erm shall I say it but oops this may cost you in more ways than one.

Gene Hunt
10-Aug-09, 14:09
Should have added that I am quite proud of her passing her test, and all joking aside (but I stand by the clip in my original post .. ;)) I reckon she will be a good driver in time. She just lacks a bit of confidence, to be honest that probably wasnt bolstered by me standing at the back of the car after the collision going "My Car !! .. My Car !! .. what have you done to my car ??", we had a talk afterwards where I acted all unconcerned and said at least she didnt hit a person and to learn from it etc etc. I really dont want to destroy her confidence in driving, I just want her to get a boyfriend with a car so she can destroy his instead.

I have just had the report from the garage and it is going to be late three/early four figures to put right, she managed to hit the twin exhaust on the left side as well and that is damaged.

I want to cry.

EDIT .. Forgot to add that daughter two is also learning at the moment and is already talking about me letting her drive my car "once its fixed" .. Erm .. NO.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Aug-09, 14:16
Oh boy I think you may need quite a few of these.

http://chicagoist.com/attachments/Lauri%20Apple/tissues.jpg

Loads more tears and sorrow to come me thinks. :D

Kodiak
10-Aug-09, 14:44
It is only a liitle dunt and is easily repaired. You must ask yourself what is more important. Your Daughter or your Car, I know my answer to that one, no contest at all. Remember a Daughter's feelings are not so easily repaired.

Bobinovich
10-Aug-09, 16:43
May I suggest that now is the perfect time (no actually before the wee prang would have been the perfect time but c'est la vie) to get a cheap run-around for them to destroy drive! :D

Gene Hunt
10-Aug-09, 17:05
May I suggest that now is the perfect time (no actually before the wee prang would have been the perfect time but c'est la vie) to get a cheap run-around for them to destroy drive! :D

Daughter suggested that actually. I said I would but all my spare cash is being used to repair my car because someone pranged it.

Mik.M.
10-Aug-09, 19:41
I have to agree with Bob,better in the long run. Plus if/when they do damage it you can say well it`s your car you broke it, you can now pay to fix it. Hev smashed my car several years ago(invisible 40ft lamp post in supermarket car park) and the "It`s ok I`ll get it sorted it wasn`t your fault act can only go on for so long.

young_fishin_neep
10-Aug-09, 19:47
after reading this i think mum quite glad i have my own car to damage!

already scraped the bumper and wheel arch on a wall that *jumped* out at me!

have to say though i didnt see the wall as i was trying not to damage the nice shiny new car parked next to me and forgot to miss the wall :(

kazzii

xxx

Gene Hunt
10-Aug-09, 20:03
My car wrecking daughter and her soon to be carwrecking sister decided to get me a present to cheer me up today so they bought me a couple of movies.

After a trip to HMV they have come back with "Crash" and "Dude .. Where's my Car ??" .. I am too proud of them to be mad .. :D

honey
10-Aug-09, 20:39
My car wrecking daughter and her soon to be carwrecking sister decided to get me a present to cheer me up today so they bought me a couple of movies.

After a trip to HMV they have come back with "Crash" and "Dude .. Where's my Car ??" .. I am too proud of them to be mad .. :D

the more i read about your daughters, the more i like them!!! :lol:

Vistravi
13-Aug-09, 22:14
Should have added that I am quite proud of her passing her test, and all joking aside (but I stand by the clip in my original post .. ) I reckon she will be a good driver in time. She just lacks a bit of confidence, to be honest that probably wasnt bolstered by me standing at the back of the car after the collision going "My Car !! .. My Car !! .. what have you done to my car ??", we had a talk afterwards where I acted all unconcerned and said at least she didnt hit a person and to learn from it etc etc. I really dont want to destroy her confidence in driving, I just want her to get a boyfriend with a car so she can destroy his instead.

I have just had the report from the garage and it is going to be late three/early four figures to put right, she managed to hit the twin exhaust on the left side as well and that is damaged.

I want to cry.

EDIT .. Forgot to add that daughter two is also learning at the moment and is already talking about me letting her drive my car "once its fixed" .. Erm .. NO.

OUCH for the wallet. My partner had his car front bumper wrecked when a other driver drove into his parked car in a car park and the bumper to replace costs about £1600. He was very upset and i actually thought he would bawl :lol:
You men and you're toys. They're only metal made in such a way together that it works as a car;)
Saying that i'm sure i'd be mighty annoyed if someone damaged my car once i get past my test. ;)

oldmarine
14-Aug-09, 19:04
Congrats on your daughter passing. Fortunately, for me I did not have that problem. They have been on their own for many years now and if they have a problem, their husbands will have to deal with it.