PDA

View Full Version : Shetland

chocolatechip
09-Aug-09, 16:26
I have got a friend in Shetland, and I wanted so and see my friend, but I was asking if anyone could say the best way of getting there, either by the ferry at Aberdeen or flying from wick

shazzap
09-Aug-09, 16:34
There are no direct flights from Wick to Shetland.
You either fly from Aberdeen or Orkney, or Ferry from the same.

joxville
09-Aug-09, 16:36
Cheapest way is to tie 100 helium filled balloons to a chair and wait for the wind going in that direction. Remember to take a gun to pop balloons to descend. :)

Kevin Milkins
09-Aug-09, 16:56
I have got a friend in Shetland, and I wanted so and see my friend, but I was asking if anyone could say the best way of getting there, either by the ferry at Aberdeen or flying from wick

I also have some friends that we met on holiday living in the Shetlands and thought we might visit one day.

I thought the most convienent from Caithness would be Scrabser to Orkney and then foward from there, I hope this link may be of use and let us know how you get on.

NorthLink Ferries - Orkney and Shetland car ferries – OFFICIAL SITE (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/)

Tighsonas4
09-Aug-09, 19:26
think kevins idea is definetely the answer, the ferry from aberdeen calls at kirkwall tony

theone
09-Aug-09, 19:30
I also have some friends that we met on holiday living in the Shetlands and thought we might visit one day.

I thought the most convienent from Caithness would be Scrabser to Orkney and then foward from there, I hope this link may be of use and let us know how you get on.

NorthLink Ferries - Orkney and Shetland car ferries – OFFICIAL SITE (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/)

No such place as the Shetlands.

Only Shetland, or the Shetland Isles as I was taught in a Lerwick bar many moons ago.

northener
09-Aug-09, 20:10
BA used to fly from Wick to Sumburgh as an extention of the Edinburgh service - but they binned it about 3 years ago[disgust]. Really hacked me off that, as my families' all up there.

Northlink or Gills to Orkninny and then Northlink from Kirkwall to Lerwick.

wifie
09-Aug-09, 20:49

Only Shetland, or the Shetland Isles as I was taught in a Lerwick bar many moons ago.

Aye just like you don't have "The Orkneys"! ;)

Kevin Milkins
09-Aug-09, 20:56

Wells, thats me's told then.;)

sjr014
09-Aug-09, 22:24
U can fly direct from Inverness and the flight stops in Orkney so if u prefer u could just take the boat 2 Orkeney and then get the flight from Orkney 2 Shetland.

theone
10-Aug-09, 01:19

Haha.

Mentioning 'The Shetlands' up there has the same effect as walking into a pub up west and announcing that you've run over a sheep...........

northener
10-Aug-09, 01:38
Haha.

Mentioning 'The Shetlands' up there has the same effect as walking into a pub up west and announcing that you've run over a sheep...........

Wot?

Everyone shouts 'Hooray!' and puts their oven on?

David Banks
10-Aug-09, 01:49
Unless things have changed since I left Caithness in 1965, the ferry from Scrabster goes to Stromness.
The ferry from Aberdeen makes a stop at Kirkwall.
You'll need a bus (or taxi if money is of no object) to take you from Stromness to Kirkwall.

It would seem to me the best idea to take the direct Aberdeen to Lerwick ferry.

But, what do I know ?

chocolatechip
10-Aug-09, 09:57
Thanks for all your help will have to do some more research.:D

BINBOB
10-Aug-09, 10:03

Picky>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>;)

BINBOB
10-Aug-09, 10:04

Never mind.........;)

dafi
10-Aug-09, 10:05
The boat for Shetland leaves about midnight from the new pier at Hatstown, Kirkwall and gets you in first thing in the morning.

I dont know if there would be any advantage in traveling down to Aberdeen then sailing all the way back north.

If it doubles the time on a ferry then its enough to put me off tho :D

LENSMAN
10-Aug-09, 21:52
How about ferry from John o groats to Orkney, bus internal in Orkney.
Fly Kirkwall to Sumburgh.
Not sure about internal buses on Shetland.
We did this last month.
£30 ferry and bus to Kirwall return.
Probably £2-£3 Kirwall to Airport.
Got a flight for £60 return using the Air Discount Scheme.
Got a lift to and from Sumburgh, maybe your friend could pick you up.

davem
10-Aug-09, 22:23
Ferry return from shetland times mean you have to stay over in orkney then get the morning ferry back. Just met some shetlanders who preferred to go via aberdeen for that reason.

Rheghead
11-Aug-09, 00:36

Don't worry about it, you've just been attacked by the pedants.:roll:

lock not loch
:cool:

chocolatechip
11-Aug-09, 16:17
I have done some-more reasearch and you can fly from Inverness to Sumburgh for £90.20 return. But I havent decided when I'm going yet:D

chocolatechip
12-Aug-09, 15:24
Regretably the trip to Sheland has fallen through, but thanks for the hints and tips and ideas to get there. :D

ter21wat
14-Aug-09, 14:50
Aw thats a shame your trip has fallen through - Shetlands a brilliant place and definitely worth a visit. Im from Shetland originally, although have lived in Thurso for the past 10 years. I travel home 1- 3 times a year, usually by boat due to the cost factor although as you have mentioned you can get quite reasonably priced flights these days. Anyhow if you want to know anything else about getting there or when your there just drop me a PM. :Razz

Bazeye
14-Aug-09, 15:05
My pals surname is Linklater and he tells me its quite common in Shetland.
Is this true or is he winding me up?

ter21wat
14-Aug-09, 15:10

I know a of few Linklaters in Shetland but i think its more of an Orkney name - my chemistry teacher was a Linklater and he was Orcadian.

Check this link...later lo!!

http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Linklater

Dog-eared
16-Aug-09, 18:28
I once flew to Sumburgh from Inverness.
Unfortunately the plane sits on the ground in Orkney for threequarters of an hour,you cant get off, and you cant get a cuppa as the 2 flights are classed as being too short for refreshments. The nice stewardess,who also had to stay aboard to stop me pinching the aircraft, gave me a hand ful of barley sugars. So that was OK then.

Rheghead
16-Aug-09, 18:52

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Map.aspx?name=LINKLATER&year=1881&altyear=1998&country=GB&type=name

EDDIE
16-Aug-09, 19:00

Would it be cheaper if your friend booked the tickets and u payed them im sure the islanders get it a lot cheaper than we would its subsdise i would imagine the boat would be the cheapest option the flight to shetland and orkney are over the top in price u could go to tenerife cheaper than u would going to an islands

Anji
16-Aug-09, 19:22
http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Map.aspx?name=LINKLATER&year=1881&altyear=1998&country=GB&type=name

That's a really interesting website, Rheghead.
I was surprised at where most of my lot are living.

northener
16-Aug-09, 20:12
I once flew to Sumburgh from Inverness.
Unfortunately the plane sits on the ground in Orkney for threequarters of an hour,you cant get off, and you cant get a cuppa as the 2 flights are classed as being too short for refreshments. The nice stewardess,who also had to stay aboard to stop me pinching the aircraft, gave me a hand ful of barley sugars. So that was OK then.

I thought the Kirkwall/Sumburgh flight originated in Edinburgh, not Inversnecky?

Certainly the leg from Wick to Sumburgh used to have refreshments.

Dog-eared
17-Aug-09, 01:36
Not when I did it, Northener. that was about 10yrs ago.

ter21wat
17-Aug-09, 11:37
Would it be cheaper if your friend booked the tickets and u payed them im sure the islanders get it a lot cheaper than we would its subsdise i would imagine the boat would be the cheapest option the flight to shetland and orkney are over the top in price u could go to tenerife cheaper than u would going to an islands

Islanders get highland and island air discount cards - as do the people of caithness so you could apply for your own.
Islanders do get a discount on their boat fare but you need an islander number which is allocated to people with an address in shetland and the name on the ticket must match the name on your photo ID so that wouldnt be an option.