PDA

View Full Version : Re: Now heres something you don't hear everyday!

dpw39
25-Mar-06, 18:23
Now you’re probably thinking that in this recent Caithness weather, that the food would be colder outside the freezer rather than within.

The Following is taken from the Daily Star, March 25, 2006

Super Rat!

Rodent KO’s Iceland’s computers.

A Highland rat with a taste for fibre optic cables crashed computer networks 500 miles away in Iceland.

The rodent chewed through an underground cable in Inverness, which was damaged even more by a digger driver who uprooted the fibre-optics by mistake.

Together, the hungry (how do they know that?)vermin, and the heavy-handed driver managed to black out entire computer networks on the volcanic island situated in the middle of the Atlantic.

Experts believe the rat population of Inverness has risen significantly in recent months because of the increased building activity in the Highland capital.

The rodent gnawed through an undersea 1,400km fibre-optic cable, which connects Iceland with the Faroe Islands and comes ashore at Castletown, near Thurso.

Apparently the interruptions, mostly confined to business users, lasted between three and nine hours.

Shame it wasn't a mouse (sic - I.T. pun).

Ciao,

Dave the Rave
dpw39 (sunglasses)

Kenn
25-Mar-06, 23:24
I'm still chuckling despite the seriousness of the matter.Brings you back down to earth with a bump when you read that a rat got the better of modern technology.

Chillie
26-Mar-06, 02:23
Now you’re probably thinking that in this recent Caithness weather, that the food would be colder outside the freezer rather than within.

The Following is taken from the Daily Star, March 25, 2006

Super Rat!

Rodent KO’s Iceland’s computers.

A Highland rat with a taste for fibre optic cables crashed computer networks 500 miles away in Iceland.

The rodent chewed through an underground cable in Inverness, which was damaged even more by a digger driver who uprooted the fibre-optics by mistake.

Together, the hungry (how do they know that?)vermin, and the heavy-handed driver managed to black out entire computer networks on the volcanic island situated in the middle of the Atlantic.

Experts believe the rat population of Inverness has risen significantly in recent months because of the increased building activity in the Highland capital.

The rodent gnawed through an undersea 1,400km fibre-optic cable, which connects Iceland with the Faroe Islands and comes ashore at Castletown, near Thurso.

Apparently the interruptions, mostly confined to business users, lasted between three and nine hours.

Shame it wasn't a mouse (sic - I.T. pun).

Ciao,

Dave the Rave
dpw39 (sunglasses)

If it was a cable that was undersea that came ashore in Castletown either the rat had diving gear on, or there has been a very major shift in our Scottish coastline, Inverness near castletown.:confused:

krieve
26-Mar-06, 02:31
If it was a cable that was undersea that came ashore in Castletown either the rat had diving gear on, or there has been a very major shift in our Scottish coastline, Inverness near castletown.:confused:
lol chillie.

ice box
26-Mar-06, 02:35
Some super rat that eh lol

Naefearjustbeer
26-Mar-06, 11:08
I dare say that it is easyer to have an onshore cable than an undersea one so I would presume that once the fibre optic comes ahore at castletown it then makes it way down the country to inverness where the rat damaged it. No where in the post did it say inverness was near castletown.