PDA

View Full Version : Dounreay

porshiepoo
08-Aug-09, 18:14
For anyone interested. Tonight BBC4 Dounreay The Atomic Dream, 11pm. Don't know if it's a repeat or anything.

theone
09-Aug-09, 00:28
Just watching this on iPlayer.

At 11 minutes 11 seconds, is that Scrabster?

If so, where is/was that bridge?

joxville
09-Aug-09, 00:44
Just watching this on iPlayer.

At 11 minutes 11 seconds, is that Scrabster?

If so, where is/was that bridge?
It is Scrabster in the background so I'd hazard a guess that it was shot in Scrabster. The bridge is no longer there, it was removed as surplus to requirements after Dounreay was built and sold to the Chinese to bridge across the Yangtse River-it used to be a long way round for rikshaw drivers.

highland visitor
10-Aug-09, 15:54
I watched this programme & found it really intresting,

My mums from Wick & worked there for a while herself before moving down to England & living in Mnachester where we live today:D

I was up last week stopping in Thurso at a caravan park & we decided to go & have a look at Dounreay whilst we were in the area, i have to say i found the place a bit eerie
We wandered around whats left of an old run way & then had a drive around further on & stumbled onto Sandside beach, id never heard of the place until then.
I couldnt beleive the tiny little sign they had there telling people radioactive particles had been found on the beach etc & not to remove anything from it..:eek:
I was really shocked to see this tiny sign that really isnt much bigger than an A4 size..i know my pic looks bigger but its because i zoomed in!
It must be really scary for you locals up there to think what could be lying around..
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/vivcoleman/076.jpg

Rheghead
10-Aug-09, 18:26
It must be really scary for you locals up there to think what could be lying around..

Not really, I regularly take my dog along the beach. I got more chance of being mugged than 'owt else.