PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Webcasting Scheme for Highland (07/08/09)

Mr P Cannop
07-Aug-09, 20:04
The public will soon be able to follow debates on important Highland planning and licensing issues from the comfort of their own homes.

In a pilot scheme starting soon, meetings held in the Council Chamber at Inverness of the strategic Planning Environment and Development Committee as well as Inverness Nairn Badenoch and Strathspey Planning Applications Committee and Inverness Nairn Badenoch and Strathspey Licensing Committee will be broadcast live via webcasting on the Council’s web site

The first meeting to be broadcast live will be the Inverness Nairn Badenoch and Strathspey (INBS) Planning Application Committee on 8 September. The first broadcast of the INBS Licensing Committee is on 15 September and the first broadcast of the PED Committee will be 23 September.

As well as watching debates live, the public will have the chance to catch up on debates at a later time by viewing archived material. It is intended that the meeting of the Planning Environment and Development Committee on Wednesday 12 August will be available for viewing as an archive.

The Council has awarded a contract to Public-i, which allows for 15 hours of broadcast each month over the trial period, which runs until June 2010, when the service will be reviewed.

Convener Sandy Park said: “The Council is committed to making decision-making more accessible. In a remote area like the Highlands, webcasting has a role to play in opening up our debates to the public. We will be piloting webcasting at our Inverness headquarters with planning and licensing meetings but will look to expand this service to other committees and other locations if the public value the service.”

Bobinovich
07-Aug-09, 20:19
Michty that'll be grand when I'm struggling til get tae sleep :lol:

badger
08-Aug-09, 10:18
I have a nasty suspicious mind - is this the thin end of a wedge to yet more centralisation. These committees already meet further from the population involved than they used to. How long before they all take place in Inverness with the excuse that we can watch remotely?

jimbews
09-Aug-09, 13:03
I have a nasty suspicious mind - is this the thin end of a wedge to yet more centralisation. These committees already meet further from the population involved than they used to. How long before they all take place in Inverness with the excuse that we can watch remotely?
Conversely: If this is done by connecting to existing video-conference equipment, perhaps the time involved in travelling to meetings could be saved (as well as the cost and the carbon footprint). Especially in a region like Highland which covers such a vast area.

Only trouble is, if it is done by the likes of the equipment I manage, the "floor" gets given to the person who talks loudest in a multi-site videoconference :~(

JimBews

joxville
09-Aug-09, 13:24
Quote "The Council has awarded a contract to Public-i, which allows for 15 hours of broadcast each month over the trial period, which runs until June 2010, when the service will be reviewed".

Did the council carry out a survey to find out if you wanted this facility and for your council taxes to be used to pay a private company to broadcast the meetings?

gollach
09-Aug-09, 17:12
Is anyone else finding it strange that this new willingness by Highland Council to be "open" about meetings comes so soon after the decision to hold other meetings in private.

In case you forgot about it, here is link to the Groat's story about it http://tinyurl.com/kv3mqn