PDA

View Full Version : End of a chapter

badger
06-Aug-09, 19:10
For anyone who remembers this almost a year ago
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=55500 (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=55500)

the mystery is finally solved. The old man called again this morning asking for Penny as usual. So in all that time no-one has bothered to ensure he had the correct number for the person he's been trying to contact. However this time his carer called me a few minutes later, asking for Penny, so I explained (yet again) that I wasn’t Penny and she said she would scribble the number out of his book.

While talking to him I asked him for Penny’s number so I called it and have now spoken to someone who assures me they will check that he has the right mobile number in future. It seems he lives in a care home – can’t say I’m impressed. The carer I spoke to didn’t sound very caring. What a way to spend your last years.

northener
07-Aug-09, 00:41
I remember that, Badger.

A bloody terrible thing to think the poor old boy may have ended up being seen as nothing but a hindrance at best.

wifie
07-Aug-09, 00:44
Thanks for posting badger. Does that mean you spoke to Penny? Yes, is very sad for the poor old soul. Horrible thought eh?

badger
07-Aug-09, 09:55
No I didn't actually speak to Penny but to a man who I presume was her partner. He sounded quite nice and assured me he would get it sorted. Penny was still out when I phoned and it was difficult to insist on speaking to her without sounding as if I didn't trust him. He said the old man was the father of a friend, so presumably not Penny's relation. It all seemed very unsatisfactory.

How could he have had the wrong number for so long? Why was there so little "care" in the care home - I think we all know the answer to that. Like most of my friends, I dread getting to the stage when I can't look after myself any longer. Is Switzerland the only alternative?

wifie
07-Aug-09, 11:00
Oh badger so sad but so true . . . :(

hotrod4
07-Aug-09, 11:48
No I didn't actually speak to Penny but to a man who I presume was her partner. He sounded quite nice and assured me he would get it sorted. Penny was still out when I phoned and it was difficult to insist on speaking to her without sounding as if I didn't trust him. He said the old man was the father of a friend, so presumably not Penny's relation. It all seemed very unsatisfactory.

How could he have had the wrong number for so long? Why was there so little "care" in the care home - I think we all know the answer to that. Like most of my friends, I dread getting to the stage when I can't look after myself any longer. Is Switzerland the only alternative?
I think maybe you are jumping to conclusions about this gentlemans care. Maybe he is very well looked after but is so persistent in wanting to call that they give into him?
As he doesnt phone you every week then one can only assume that it was a "new" carer that was helping him?
This man might be better looked after than you or I for all we know,after all you can only speak to this man on the phone, he may be living in the lap of luxury with dolly birds on hand to cater to his every need!!![lol]

wifie
07-Aug-09, 12:26
OK you have a point too hotrod and mibbe we should all view our dotage with rose tinted specs on but there are many who cannot for one reason or another. Let's not forget too that the old guy may be livin in his own wee world and be totally unaware of the care he is getting good or bad.

Thanks tho hotrod cos I have now read badger's post again and at least this time the old guy got someone to check the number he was callin and they did. He does seem to have the right number, albeit he is dialling it wrong, as he was able to give it to badger. Maybe the carer did care but was just busy and had too much constraint on her time like a lot of people in jobs these days. Badger cares that is all and like me wants a conclusion to an anomaly.

Bottom line - we are probably all a tiny bit scared of growin old - mind you there are many senior Orgers on here showin the way! :)