PDA

View Full Version : Vitiligo????

porshiepoo
06-Aug-09, 15:03
Does anyone know much about this skin disorder?
For a few years now I've had these white patches appear on my shins. They look just like chicken pox scars but are smooth and look the same as normal skin except white!
I've never been too bothered about them really but I've noticed over the last year or so they've gotten either bigger or increasing in amount as the areas are looking bigger.
I've also noticed the small patches appearing on my arms and chest now.

I've googled 'Vitiligo' but my patches aren't as prominent as the pictures.
There's one picture of it on someones face that is described as drug induced vitiligo and her patches are exactly the same as mine.

Does anyone know of any decent websites that show the various stages of this problem or know anything about the problem?

Anji
06-Aug-09, 18:34
I've had vitiligo for about 12 years. I've seen lots of 'experts' but the only thing we can be sure about is that there is no cure.
I'm willing to answer any questions you have. Just pm me.

Alice in Blunderland
06-Aug-09, 19:03
My daughter also suffers from this problem she has the patches on her face. :(

slinky
10-Aug-09, 03:17
Is it something to do we too many white blood cells as i was told bye doctor

Venture
11-Aug-09, 10:35
Does anyone know much about this skin disorder?
For a few years now I've had these white patches appear on my shins. They look just like chicken pox scars but are smooth and look the same as normal skin except white!
I've never been too bothered about them really but I've noticed over the last year or so they've gotten either bigger or increasing in amount as the areas are looking bigger.
I've also noticed the small patches appearing on my arms and chest now.

I've googled 'Vitiligo' but my patches aren't as prominent as the pictures.
There's one picture of it on someones face that is described as drug induced vitiligo and her patches are exactly the same as mine.

Does anyone know of any decent websites that show the various stages of this problem or know anything about the problem?

Thought this story might interest you.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205624/The-black-girl-turned-white-woman-vitiligo-changed-colour-entire-body.html

Anji
11-Aug-09, 14:00
Thanks for that, Venture. I knew that it was possible for the pigment loss to cover the complete body, but this is the first time I have read of it happening to an individual.

It has been said that Michael Jackson suffered from vitiligo, and that that was why he wore one glove (to hide an affected hand) and then went through operations to change the skin on his face. I don't suppose that we'll ever know now if that was true.

Anji
11-Aug-09, 18:27
It has been said that Michael Jackson suffered from vitiligo, and that that was why he wore one glove (to hide an affected hand) and then went through operations to change the skin on his face. I don't suppose that we'll ever know now if that was true.[/quote]

Oops, I've just realised it more or less said that in the article. I really must learn to read things properly.

annemarie482
11-Aug-09, 19:49
my sister is 23 and has had vitiligo all her life.
she was born with a couple small patches which grew then joined and she is now completly white with not a mole in sight!
it hasn't affected her life other than needing to wear factor fifty everytime theres a chance of sunshine.
she burns so easily and it hurts more than ordinary sunburn.

George Brims
12-Aug-09, 20:10
I have a colleague who has vitiligo. He takes a good suntan where he has pigment, but is very pale on some patches mostly on his hands and arms. He is part Irish and part Philipino, and he told his kids the reason for the pigment differences was that he wasn't properly mixed!