PDA

View Full Version : Fingal McCool

Dog-eared
06-Aug-09, 12:54
I saw Fingal McCool in Stromness at the weekend. They've morphed into a sort of Lounge Band ten-piece.
The few old tunes they played were good,the rest was poor.Their poster had a " we play anything for anybody" sort of desperation about it.
Anyone remember the original band. (Rocky marshall is still in there )

tremner
07-Aug-09, 22:37
I was a founder member of Fingal McCool.We formed about 1966 and went on to play many gigs with very little musical ability at that time.But we had youth, and the love of being in a band and that served us well.It was a great time to be playing in Caithness.Lots of gigs,lots of musicians,some ok,some good and some really talented who went on to better things.Happy days.More info if requested.

Gleber2
08-Aug-09, 01:07
Anyone remember the original band. (Rocky marshall is still in there )
Once heard, never forgotten:D

Rocky Marshall
07-Sep-09, 10:21
I note with interrest your comments on the Band's performance in Stromness and will take on board your comments.........As the band has been playing in various formats over the last 40 years ,I am curious about where you heard the "old songs" that we played in the "60"s .
To address your comments about the Lounge band programme for Orkney. we were contracted to play in "several lounge bars" in Stromness and the programme was the commensurate with that the "old" numbers were put in by myself as "nostalgia". It may be of interest that a Major Promoter from Los Angles was in the audience at the Stromness Hotel and offered the band a 10 gig tour in America next year....also a promoter from Iceland has offered a 10 day Tour in May. We thought that the performance and standard of playing was reflected in in those offers.

I would appreciate if you would send me your constructive criticism so we can take it on board.

Rocky Marshall

PS. It's a pity you were not at the Harry Hall gig as it was the only gig at which the band was able to play "full Blast".