PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Strap in school

trinkie
25-Mar-06, 14:30
How many of you ''got the strap'' when you were at school.
What for ? At what age? At which school?

What are your thoughts on strapping children now ?

In the early 1950s I was about twelve when my teacher strapped me because I had told her her brooch was undone and it was just about to drop off her jacket!
Another time a teacher strapped me because I told him that he had made an adding mistake on the board - quite true. But OUCH !!

willowbankbear
25-Mar-06, 14:38
I was at the school when the belt-strap was banned. It was generally only ever given out in extreme cases in the Hillhead primary school & I did not recieve it, So that means I mustve been reasonably behaved.:confused: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_12_9.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB)

krieve
25-Mar-06, 14:45
I have never had the belt or strap at school as it was no longer used. But I remember my Dad telling me about the times he got it. Even a ruler hit across the knuckles ouch but he soon learn to behave himself .

golach
25-Mar-06, 14:45
Got the strap a few times in both the primary and even more in the secondary, every time was for being caught at doing something naughty, and I only told my Mum once that I had been belted..........the belting she gave me was ten times worse :(

pulteney person
25-Mar-06, 15:01
I had the belt loads of times in the high school, mostly from the rector or depute rector, oh yes, and most of my teachers! [para]
It never did me any harm but it didn't do me any good either. I probably deserved it :Razz
But thinking about it, our behaviour in class back then was mild compared to the behaviour today.

phoenix
25-Mar-06, 15:09
I got belted twice.... Once in primary school, I think it was for wrongly spelling something, it wasnt for misbehaving........ I was a well behaved pupil [smirk] it left me feeling very confused and afraid of doing anything wrong after that! Which I believe was and is very wrong! Another time was at High School for allowing another pupil to copy from me :confused if I remember correctly I was also made to go and stand outside the door in the corridor..........OMG the shame of it!:} Another time I was made to stand in a corner of the room with my face to the wall for failing to be able to tell the story of the prodigal son out of the bible! :confused It leaves scars on you that are difficult to erase........for that reason I disagree with belting....you do not and should not teach a child to Fear! Very wrong! Neither can you teach a child something that he/she does not "need" to learn, no matter how much you shout, belt or punish! [mad]

highlander2222
25-Mar-06, 15:18
Only once thank god

MadPict
25-Mar-06, 15:28
Hmm, I got the belt a few times - all in Wick High - and usually for being late. A certain janitor dobbed me in a couple of times. One teacher's trick was to have you hold your hands, one laid over the other palms up, about six inches above his desktop. He'd then belt you, and you would end up rapping your knuckles on the desk as you got hit. Pull your hands away and it doubled the punishment. If you attempted to 'go with the strike' it would result in more. One teacher even had a name for his tawse, another used to rub something into it to make it stiffer (stop giggling at the back boy...)

I seem to recall several kids coming out of a belting with the strap marks on their wrists - ah such happy days......

phoenix
25-Mar-06, 15:38
My primary school Headmaster used to call the tawse "Lochgelly" :confused There was the ruler too across the knuckles or the duster which in them days was made of wood, it would get hurled across the classroom at you if you werent paying attention.....:eek: [para] He was a nice man really!!!!!!! :confused

golach
25-Mar-06, 15:45
My primary school Headmaster used to call the tawse "Lochgelly" :confused There was the ruler too across the knuckles or the duster which in them days was made of wood, it would get hurled across the classroom at you if you werent paying attention.....:eek: [para] He was a nice man really!!!!!!! :confused
The Tawse was and still is made in Lochgelly in Fife

ice box
25-Mar-06, 15:46
Well the strap was banned when i was at school but one day i got caught going out the school boundary's and was sent to the head teacher. Were she threatened me with the strap for being a knotty boy so i went home and told my mum she was not happy that she was still threating pupils with the strap that was the last i ever heard about it. The head was a dragon and i hated her . grrrrrr

knightofeth
25-Mar-06, 16:06
Unfortunately the belt was banned by the time I was at school. I think it should be brought back as it didn't seem to do anyone harm. It would solve a lot of problems in schools today and in society in general.

obiron
25-Mar-06, 16:12
think it stopped by the time i hit p3. could be p4. so long ago cant mind. never got it anyway, did get one of those duster things they used to clean the blackboards chucked at me when i was in high school learned to duck.

DW
25-Mar-06, 16:55
The Tawse was and still is made in Lochgelly in Fife

I don't belive that John Dick, the original maker, is still alive.

However there is a market for the tawse; it consists of a part of society with certain 'proclivities', saynomore nudge nudge wink wink.

philupmaboug
25-Mar-06, 17:02
I remember that madpict, did you ever encounter Thunderguts!!!! or Porkie in full belt rage? or Mason with the ruler over the hand...ouch.

scotsboy
25-Mar-06, 17:10
Too many times to rember at Thurso High.

It did me no harm - not sure if that is good or bad. I am not sure I think it is a good idea for general classroom control, it certainly was abused by some who dished it out - and I have seen some physical damage done to some people by inappropriate use of the belt.

LENSMAN
25-Mar-06, 17:17
Twice in the high school.
Once for carrying on in the lines and once for not having my book with me, I didn't have it because they had changed the timetable and not told us. That was Downie, used to teach woodwork.
We used to have a bloke in our year that said he would only behave in the classes if he was given the belt!!!!!!!!

landmarker
25-Mar-06, 17:44
Onc ein Primary schoolf for playing football in the wrong place - nowhere too outrageous. Then in senior school for impersonating Ringo Starr on my desk as the Deputy Head walked into the classroom. Ringo's timing was much better. I remember the sting and the occasion well. Stern discipline. Never did me any harm <he said>

thrumsterloon
25-Mar-06, 18:44
Was on the receiving end of the strap twice at Wick High. The first on my second day at school by Mr Abernethy for mucking about with one of my pals. The second time from the dep (Hugh Clark) again for mucking about. Don't think it did me any harm, I know of at least two guys that got belted quite regularly and they are now sucessful businessmen.

emszxr
25-Mar-06, 18:50
bring it back, might sort out some of the behaviour you see from kids now a days

Chillie
25-Mar-06, 19:16
Had it plenty of times, never done me any harm, they should bring it back to sort out some of those cheeky little ?.

First time was poultneytown Academy p3 for whistling from Miss turnbull.

The other two that I really rememmberwas p6 in North School me and five other's , we were let in at lunch time as it was heavy rain so we were all in class and started to sing the song Hiltler has only got one ----, but we changed it to Brucer (baldy Brucer was the headmaster there then) he came along the corridor marched us to his room, we had the choice of the cain or the strap, we all got 6 on each hand with the strap, it was sore, I can still feel it today.

The other time was from Johnnie onion,2nd year at WHS 6 of the best for speaking back to Granny Roise.:( :(

bingo1
25-Mar-06, 19:34
I got belted twice.... Once in primary school, I think it was for wrongly spelling something, it wasnt for misbehaving........ I was a well behaved pupil [smirk] it left me feeling very confused and afraid of doing anything wrong after that! Which I believe was and is very wrong! Another time was at High School for allowing another pupil to copy from me :confused if I remember correctly I was also made to go and stand outside the door in the corridor..........OMG the shame of it!:} Another time I was made to stand in a corner of the room with my face to the wall for failing to be able to tell the story of the prodigal son out of the bible! :confused It leaves scars on you that are difficult to erase........for that reason I disagree with belting....you do not and should not teach a child to Fear! Very wrong! Neither can you teach a child something that he/she does not "need" to learn, no matter how much you shout, belt or punish! [mad] I agree 100%. If the belt was still in use i dont know what i would do if my bairn got it but ill tell you one thing the teacher wouldnt do it again after i was finised. Children should never have been treated this way!!! Its bullying.

Chillie
25-Mar-06, 19:57
I agree 100%. If the belt was still in use i dont know what i would do if my bairn got it but ill tell you one thing the teacher wouldnt do it again after i was finised. Children should never have been treated this way!!! Its bullying.

Little wonder the children of today are like the way they are when the parents adopt this kind of attitude:mad:

phoenix
25-Mar-06, 20:38
Little wonder the children of today are like the way they are when the parents adopt this kind of attitude:mad:

Aye Chillie some never learn do they! :rolleyes:

Thanks bingo1.....I agree it is a form of bullying! Lots of it around!

Golach thanks for reminding me why the tawse was called a Lochgelly! Id long since forgotten! :o BTW Golach is your name John Dick? [smirk]

knightofeth
25-Mar-06, 20:41

I agree with this. They need some discipline.

Tugmistress
25-Mar-06, 21:04
Luckily i can't remember that i was ever given the 'ruler' as we did not have the belt at school (cane for the headmaster and ruler for the teachers).
I do remember at junior school in 2nd year i was made to stand at the front of the class in a corner with my back to them for playing in the water at break time though :( (never stopped me doing it though just taught me to use my eyes a bit more lol).

MadPict
25-Mar-06, 21:19
http://www.lochgelly-tawse.co.uk/

http://www.corpun.com/scotland.htm

Ojibwa
25-Mar-06, 21:33
I'm not old enough to remember getting punished by the strap or the cane but I do remember getting marched out to the front of the class in primary 3 (1986)for doing what the teacher called "slanty writing". This was writing that was not perfectly straight up and down. She would line us up and give us a clip round the ear. I can't remember if it hurt but it sure was humiliating. I never enjoyed that year at school, won't mention the teacher as I think she is still in a primary school. I think that teachers will get the best results from an individual child or class when they encourage, praise and inspire them to learn. Although many people say that physical punishment didn't do them any harm, there are probably many more whose self esteem would have been crushed.

scorrie
25-Mar-06, 21:35
I agree 100%. If the belt was still in use i dont know what i would do if my bairn got it but ill tell you one thing the teacher wouldnt do it again after i was finised. Children should never have been treated this way!!! Its bullying.

I totally disagree. There is so much talk of children not having to fear this or that. Fear is a perfectly natural phenomenon and serves a vital purpose. Fear prevents people from carrying out dangerous actions. A tiny child that does not understand danger can understand pain and through that learns to fear the object that caused the pain. That is respect through fear but once the child is older and wiser it can respect that same object through knowledge rather than fear. A child that cannot show respect once they are old enough to understand the concept has lost the right to be treated in a more adult fashion and therefore should be faced with the corporal punishment option. I was belted once at school, for allegedly not doing lines I had been given for coming to school without PE kit. I had done the lines and was punished for no reason. I took the punishment and got on with it.
I would ask those who think fear is wrong to consider what point there is in having a punishment system in society, if the criminals are not going to have any fear of the punishment?

Think about the bigger picture and not just your own bairns, if they behave as they should there would be no punishment to worry about.

ps I heard that a new, more child friendly strap is coming back. Designed to cause no pain to the little darlings it is gelatin, rather than leather based and is called the Lochjelly ;o)

Billy Boy
25-Mar-06, 21:37
i got the strap in my first week of high school for playing pitch and toss[mad]

phoenix
25-Mar-06, 21:56
I'm not old enough to remember getting punished by the strap or the cane but I do remember getting marched out to the front of the class in primary 3 (1986)for doing what the teacher called "slanty writing". This was writing that was not perfectly straight up and down. She would line us up and give us a clip round the ear. I can't remember if it hurt but it sure was humiliating. I never enjoyed that year at school, won't mention the teacher as I think she is still in a primary school. I think that teachers will get the best results from an individual child or class when they encourage, praise and inspire them to learn. Although many people say that physical punishment didn't do them any harm, there are probably many more whose self esteem would have been crushed.

I agree Ojibwa..........teach by example! If you instill fear, humiliation, ridicule etc in a child that child will grow up with lack of self esteem and a feeling of being powerless........you reap what you sow, the results can be seen in the adults of today and their children and their childrens children and so it goes on until they change their ways! Takes some getting rid of the emotional and mental scars, all it takes is someone to come along and push the buttons to make you feel uncomfortable!

Oddquine
25-Mar-06, 21:57
I got the belt once at school, and again when I went home and told my folks(looking for sympathy).........and made sure I was never in a position to get it again.

I think it was still on the go when my own children attended the same school, but neither of them ever got belted.

If they had, I'd have found out why........and if I felt it was deserved, I'd probably have thumped them myself to emphasise the lesson..and if I felt it was unwarranted, I'd have gone to the school and kicked up a fuss.

I have no problem with corporal punishment, provided it is for a good reason..and, frankly, there has to be somewhere where kids today learn discipline in the event the parents fall down on the job.

golach
25-Mar-06, 22:35

Sorry I totally disagree with you on this one, the main problem with todays society is lack of discipline at home and in the school, look at your alleged attitude to the teacher that punished your bairn.....is that not a form of bullying?

angela5
25-Mar-06, 22:47
I remember at school in p1 getting my hand slapped for day dreaming. And i was giving the belt in p6 for not following rules. Big deal i deserved it.

[quote golach]
Sorry I totally disagree with you on this one, the main problem with todays society is lack of discipline at home and in the school, look at your alleged attitude to the teacher that punished your bairn.....is that not a form of bullying?

I agree golach. lack of discipline is what's wrong with them nowadays.

angela5
25-Mar-06, 22:48

I agree with this.

knightofeth
26-Mar-06, 00:42
totally agree.. and it has been shown on some recent threads on this forum!

dirdyweeker
26-Mar-06, 01:01
Thunderguts was known as Big M in the 60's and he used the ruler then. At least you answered him though for fear of the ruler. Never did me lasting harm. The tawse/belt.....when it was Harriet Mackenzie (who taught us Biology) we took the belt from her drawer at the beginning of lessons and hid it!! Can you imagine the bravado in that?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
27-Mar-06, 00:12
Never got the belt(strap)when I was at school.It wisnae to do with me not getting into trouble.It was more to do with the horror that ye saw in yer classmates face when the strap hit his hand and the pain ye saw in his face.

Straight away yer survival instincts in yer brain said,"Thats never gonnae happen to me!!!!"

weefee
27-Mar-06, 14:08
There is a marked difference between discipling children and using phsyical punishments. I have read several books on the use of corporal punishments (i was all for hanging to come back) and have found that the "it didn't do me any harm" statement for physical chastisements all too common.

Discipling children should start at home, I have never smacked my 2 1/2 year old but did smack my older child when she was younger which in hindsight was wrong, but i have educated myself in other ways of coping with bad behaviour. There are plenty of alternatives that work. Lack of sleep is a common instigator in bad or demanding behaviour.

Children are entitled to their rights just as much as any adult and often their voices are not heard or taken seriously. If any of us were attacked then we would press charges or take matters further, why shouldn't children have those same rights, they are human beings too.

I feel sorry for teachers, i have been in a class where my teacher was assaulted but i can't agree to the return of corporal punishment in any form. Violence breeds violence and there are many case studies to prove this. Humiliating and harming children is not the way forward it is a huge step backwards.

squidge
27-Mar-06, 14:39
I was strapped twice both times for talking when i had been told not to. I dont beleive it affected me in any way, i enjoyed school was a clever girl and generally behaved. Id have got a row at home too if i told my mum and dad i had been strapped.

I dont think i would let a teacher strap my children and yet i beleive in smacking as part of my discipline at home. The difference is that i love my children and i control my smacking - i cant guarantee that another person would apply the same criteria to smacking as i do and im not prepared to allow a teacher to physically punish my child. If my child was hit at school by a teacher i would make a complaint. I have seen teachers behave appallingly and strap kids for no reason other than they feel like it and i would be horrified at that happening to my children. This is also applicable to other types of humiliating discipline. I remember a boy in my class being made to do gym in a gym skirt cos he had forgot his shorts - he was 13 ish and so embarrassed, i was appalled by the whole thing the teacher humiliated him simply because he could - it was awful. I remember a teacher holding a laddie in my class up at the wall by his throat for a smart remark he made. he lifted the lad off his feet, it was NOT acceptable. I have been in school to complain that one of my children was being unfairly disciplined when he was at WHS and something was done about it because it WAS unfair.

Now before all you holier than thous start - that DOES NOT mean i dont support the school. I do, i uphold their right to punish my children and i make sure my children understand that i will not take their corner if they have been misbehaving. Allowing corporal punishment in schools is however not a route i would go down

rich
27-Mar-06, 22:09
I got belted regularly - once every month, I would say - for a variety of sins. One of which was "dumb insolence". I used to smirk. Still do come to that. Talking in class or laughing got me strapped. Religion was my downfall - I could not take it seriously. I got six of the belt for mocking a papier mache African village which was the main term work in religious studies.
But getting belted at Thurso was nothing compared to getting belted at posh, fee-paying George Watson's in Edinburgh where I was sent to see if anything could be salvaged from the educational shipwreck of my caithness schooldays.

We had a French teacher called Charlie Brown. First day of term Charlie picked on a poor lad called Bobbie Bogle. Bogle, try as he would, just couldn't sound like a Frenchman. Charlie thrust his face into Bogle's and began to yell "LA! LA! LA!" To which Bogle responded "lur....lurrrr".

Next thing, I knew, Charlie Brown disappeared behind his desk and we could hear drawers slamming. He emerged, tawse held up rigid, his whole face a mask of malevolence.

He adressed the class.
"What shall I do with this wretched youth, Bogle , whio is mangling the French language," he demanded.

And the class responded "BEAT HIM, SIR. FLOG HIM."

This was like a pack of hounds baying. I felt somewhat like a complete teuchter. Never mind the somewhat.

"Bogle, I am giving you a choice," snarled Charlie. "EITHER I GIVE YOU SIX OF THE BEST OR YOU COME ROUND AND DIG MY GARDEN ON SATURDAY MORNING."

"FLOG HIM, FLOG HIM!!!!"came the chorus.

"I'll do the garden, sir," said Bogle to a chorus of jeers from the class - jeers in which I now joined. (We Sutherlands have never seen a gang we could stay out of...)

Of course the thing was that Charlie Brown had a lovely French wife (what she saw in him I have no idea.) But she would make wonderful coffee and croissants and refused to let anyone dig up her rather marvellusly laid out garden.

I could go on but I wont. There was our nudist math master, there was the infamous marching column of schoolboys in OTC uniform which woke the whole of Morningside and led to our mass arrest as a marching column without lights front and back. (This was to avenge some slight insult to the headmaster, involving a 12 foot high spray painted message.)

To think that parents paid for this kind of thing! As a result of my education there I think I would make a pretty good prisoner of war. But that's it.

Whitewater
27-Mar-06, 22:17
I had the belt quite regularly in primary school, always my own fault. Just received it on rare occations in secondary school, again my own fault.

I personaly think the belt should be brought back, some of the unruly pupils would think twice about misbehaving if they knew they would be punished afterwards. There is no deterent now, nor do they fear the teachers/

squeezy
27-Mar-06, 22:28
I recall getting the ruler in I think Primary 4 or 5 for that mortal sin of spelling mistakes. For each spelling mistake we had in the passage we were copying (about dinosaurs I think) was the equivalent to one wrap across the knuckles. Thankfully I only had two, but the whole class was cringing for the poor lad who had about a dozen.
How could there be any justification in this, not that I'm condoning corporal punishment, but I could have seen the arguement for misbehaviour, but spelling - sheesh.

MadPict
27-Mar-06, 23:11
I could go on but I wont.

Oh don't stop now - this is almost like Ripping Yarns!!!!

tisme
28-Mar-06, 13:13
I got the belt only once in Primary School. It was for dropping my pencil of all things!! It put the fear of death into me. There was many a time I should have gotten it in the High School mind you but managed to dodge it!

Errogie
28-Mar-06, 15:09
I had just started to expand my vocabulary into colourful four letter words and was helping a pal to kick a lump of ice outside the door of the west Public primary in Thurso (see I went to a public school!) using all the new terminology.

Unfortunately we were so absorbed we didn't notice that everyone else had disapeared inside. The next moment "wham" I got a really hard slap on the side of the head. I found out what it meant to have "ringing" in what became a really red and swollen ear and we were hauled in by the scruff of the neck.
Don't think I uttered another profanity for the next 5 years! Couldn't hear much either on that side anyway!

Had the belt lots of times after that including gesticulating at the train pasengers by the railway bridge at the back of Thurso High while we had the morning smoking break, but the Director of education was coming through from Wick that day... And then there was the time he saw us again one afternoon on Sandside beach when someone had the loan of a car. The only hot spots were our hands after 6 each from Willie Young the rector.

Debateable whether it was better to take it all one hand or change over and even up the pain. The worst part a bit like being sick, was the few moments before it happened. Afterwards relief at getting it over kicked in. Also contributed more to one's reputation as a hard man than any amount of lines.

I have no idea how this has affected my after life but I know that we used to provoke Netta Duck into belting us as she was so bad at it and she once attempted to belt the whole class, girls as well which took up a large part of the afternoon.

Graham
28-Mar-06, 19:16
I was strapped once in school by Miss Ryrie (Netta Duck). She decided to strap anyone who had forgotten their dictionary. Many of us had actually brought it but we all decided to say we didn't to see if she would strap the entire class. She did. After strapping thirty some-odd students she was a physical wreck.

trinkie
23-May-07, 12:47
Thank heavens they stopped strapping children a long time ago - but I bet many of us oldies remember being strapped.
Were you strapped - and why ?

I was - for telling the teacher he made a mistake with a sum he had done on the blackboard ! I was right of course.

And a second time for telling the teacher her brooch was undone !
How I wish she had lost the blasted thing.

OUCH !

Boboowest
23-May-07, 13:07
I got it most days in Thurso High as did most of the guys in the class. It was hard trying to smile when it really hurt!

MadPict
23-May-07, 14:26
The "Wick High - Ever get the Strap there ?" thread has been merged with the "Getting the Strap in school" thread also started by trinkie...

Maybe lines would help your memory trinkie? ;)

Gleber2
23-May-07, 15:42
I was strapped once in school by Miss Ryrie (Netta Duck). She decided to strap anyone who had forgotten their dictionary. Many of us had actually brought it but we all decided to say we didn't to see if she would strap the entire class. She did. After strapping thirty some-odd students she was a physical wreck.

Netta never used the belt often but I remember that day well. I was one of the first pupils to get strapped in Thurso High in the first week it opened by Gavin Lafferty!!! Got belted by Mrs. Wares in the West Public at the age of five. I asked to go to the toilet and she wouldn't let me so I had a wee accident. My first injustice!!!!

DIH
23-May-07, 16:06
I never got the strap but I once got the ruler to the inside of my wrist when I was in primary 3. I made the mistake of getting a question wrong and that was my punishment. I was hit by a female teacher after the law came in that they couldn't hit us. My mam wasn't very pleased and she had words with the headmaster and this teacher. Unfortunately she went on to be the head mistress of a local primary school and she is still scaring the bairns. She is the only teacher I hate.

poppett
23-May-07, 18:30
An art teacher in Miller Academy used to throw knives and land them between your fingers on the desk if you were talking. After that Netta Duck`s performance in Thurso High was nothing. One particular french teacher was tiny and practically had to stand on the chair to belt the strapping tall lads in our class. On a particularly bad two period lesson she had about six of us lined up ready for belting, excused herself, and returned with her 6`6" fiance, also a teacher to do her dirty work for her. Simon Moodie who taught french on the stage when we were short of classrooms was so fed up handing out lines and belting myself and a particular friend he belted us one day on the way in.....we were angels that day and at the end of the class asked for an apology...needless to say we are still waiting!

danc1ngwitch
23-May-07, 19:32
Such tender skin to use a belt on.
Yep i got the strap, but i'd got it for standing up for myself against Girls who in the end were indeed not as tough as they thought[lol]
Anyway it was wrong of me to fight ( rolls my eyes ) wea so many:eek:
Teacher did not want to give it to me but she had to.
Other kids parents must av been more important than mine. ( bullies )
Guess even on the org bullies exist.
So hense we will get banned for saying what we really think, ( strap )

quirbal
23-May-07, 21:00
I never got the strap , i got the slipper *Ouch* it was painful!:eek:

celtic lass
23-May-07, 22:24
thats what's missing now a days the belt.there's just no respect anymore.I wouldn't be a teacher now a days not for all the money in the world and yes i got the belt a few times in the high school and it did me no harm

Jeemag_USA
23-May-07, 22:27
I got the strap on my first day at High School unfortunately, nothing to be proud of but there was a kid walking through class with a pen sticking out of his mouth and the teacher told him to remove it, he didn't so I felt obliged to remove it for him and I got the strap for it, and who was the teacher?..... Parahandy, so it didnae hurt :lol:

Had it several times after that though, not surprised it got banned, I remember two of my friends getting belted by a French Teacher who I will not name and they ended up with severe lacerations on their forearms because he did it face on, needless to say the parents turned up at the school and all hell broke loose, I am not sure but I think that teacher was not allowed to give the strap as punishment again.

My first ever strapping was in Miller Acadamey from Mr McIvor, and I thoroughly deserved it, he put the fear of god in me, and I am distantly related to him too but didn't know it at the time, don't think he woudl have gave me any favour anyway ;)

Jeemag_USA
23-May-07, 22:34
I got belted regularly - once every month, I would say - for a variety of sins. One of which was "dumb insolence". I used to smirk. Still do come to that. Talking in class or laughing got me strapped. Religion was my downfall - I could not take it seriously. I got six of the belt for mocking a papier mache African village which was the main term work in religious studies.
But getting belted at Thurso was nothing compared to getting belted at posh, fee-paying George Watson's in Edinburgh where I was sent to see if anything could be salvaged from the educational shipwreck of my caithness schooldays.

We had a French teacher called Charlie Brown. First day of term Charlie picked on a poor lad called Bobbie Bogle. Bogle, try as he would, just couldn't sound like a Frenchman. Charlie thrust his face into Bogle's and began to yell "LA! LA! LA!" To which Bogle responded "lur....lurrrr".

Next thing, I knew, Charlie Brown disappeared behind his desk and we could hear drawers slamming. He emerged, tawse held up rigid, his whole face a mask of malevolence.

He adressed the class.
"What shall I do with this wretched youth, Bogle , whio is mangling the French language," he demanded.

And the class responded "BEAT HIM, SIR. FLOG HIM."

This was like a pack of hounds baying. I felt somewhat like a complete teuchter. Never mind the somewhat.

"Bogle, I am giving you a choice," snarled Charlie. "EITHER I GIVE YOU SIX OF THE BEST OR YOU COME ROUND AND DIG MY GARDEN ON SATURDAY MORNING."

"FLOG HIM, FLOG HIM!!!!"came the chorus.

"I'll do the garden, sir," said Bogle to a chorus of jeers from the class - jeers in which I now joined. (We Sutherlands have never seen a gang we could stay out of...)

Of course the thing was that Charlie Brown had a lovely French wife (what she saw in him I have no idea.) But she would make wonderful coffee and croissants and refused to let anyone dig up her rather marvellusly laid out garden.

I could go on but I wont. There was our nudist math master, there was the infamous marching column of schoolboys in OTC uniform which woke the whole of Morningside and led to our mass arrest as a marching column without lights front and back. (This was to avenge some slight insult to the headmaster, involving a 12 foot high spray painted message.)

To think that parents paid for this kind of thing! As a result of my education there I think I would make a pretty good prisoner of war. But that's it.

Thats hilarious, he he, thanks for the telling [lol]

Glenys Hirst
23-May-07, 22:40
I remember getting the strap from 'Granny Rosie' at WHS once...but I moved my hand and she hit herself! She didnt bother giving me another lash! That was the time I ever got near to the strap!

Metalattakk
23-May-07, 23:45
Aye, I mind getting the "tweeg" at 'e school.

One time, I'd forgotten my homework once too often, and Andy Smith (Biology I think) sent me next door to get a lend of Mr Boyle's belt, as he didn't have a Lochgelly Tawse of his own, apparently..

So up I got and went next door, knocked on Mr Boyle's door and went in.

"Mr Smith sent me to get the belt from you." I said to Bertie, and held my hand out.

Mr Boyle opened his desk drawer, pulled out the leather belt and "tweeged" me just the once, in front of his whole class, and sent me back to Mr Smith with a slightly stinging hand.

In I walks to Mr Smith's classroom and back to my desk I go.

"Well, where is it, then?" questioned Mr Smith....

[lol]

I'll never forget him shaking his head when I told him what had happened.

Sporran
24-May-07, 06:40
An art teacher in Miller Academy used to throw knives and land them between your fingers on the desk if you were talking. After that Netta Duck`s performance in Thurso High was nothing. One particular french teacher was tiny and practically had to stand on the chair to belt the strapping tall lads in our class. On a particularly bad two period lesson she had about six of us lined up ready for belting, excused herself, and returned with her 6`6" fiance, also a teacher to do her dirty work for her. Simon Moodie who taught french on the stage when we were short of classrooms was so fed up handing out lines and belting myself and a particular friend he belted us one day on the way in.....we were angels that day and at the end of the class asked for an apology...needless to say we are still waiting!

Crickey, was the art teacher a former circus performer?!?! :eek:

I know which French teacher you are referring to, poppett! She was my French teacher too, but I didn't get the strap from her, nor anyone else, for that matter. (I was a good girl, lol! ;) ) It was none other than the diminutive Miss Marjorie Bannerman (aka Twiggy) who later became Mrs Tait after she married her giant of a fiance, Mr HarryTait (aka Lurch). He was quite a lot older than her, but they seemed very happy together. I think she married him for protection!!!

Smithy
24-May-07, 10:24
I didn't get the belt at school but did feel it was bad how some teachers used to give the strap for no apparent reason to some kids. I personally am glad the belt is banned I would not want my children belted especially as I think some teachers used to enjoy doing it to some poor kids for silly reasons.

Ash
24-May-07, 10:43
when i was in high school...which wasnt that long ago a certain admin teacher used to lock you in the cupboard if u were caught talking!!![disgust]

sweetpea
24-May-07, 12:35
No belts when I was at school but I spent a lot of time in cupboards and corridors! Always for my tongue! I also had the unforunate knack of being able to come back into class and know exactly what had been taught so that used to annoy teachers even more. I did have a french teacher who used to hit us over the head with a really big dictionary and I remember he busrt a boy's ear drum and he ripped my scarf of my neck which stung a bit. I did hear he lost his job a few years later.
I feel sorry for what teachers have to put up with now. They have very little power and most of the time can only displace pupils which just causes disruption elsewhere in the building.

johno
24-May-07, 13:12
i got it on several occasions all of which i deserved, it never really hurt me nor did it do me any harm, actually i think it made me smarter or should i say craftier, as not to get caught out again, dont really know if they should bring it back though. certainly would,nt have used it on my kids

Humerous Vegetable
24-May-07, 16:32
The staff at my high school in the 70s used to wear the long black academic robes to teach. The head of the history dept used to put a tennis ball down the hollow sleeve of his gown and whack you over the head with it if he wasn't happy about something. Still, at least it wasn't a cricket ball..... We all used to get the belt from all the teachers on a regular basis, but the rector was the worst, because he used to line up the day's contingent at assembly, so you got belted in front of the whole school.

horseman
24-May-07, 21:18
I used to get hammered regularly, never mind the polite 'strapped' .Way back in the north school one sadistic scum bag of a head master, and thats how I think of him even now, used to give me hell for not being able to wright neatly..Now in my sixties I am still the same. No forgiveness for that man.I would really like to find his grave and do quite unmentional things to it.Anything which inspires that sort of venom over that year span is surely rooted in wrongfullness,and I feel bad now for even bringing it up.

Kirdon
24-May-07, 21:55
I remember that madpict, did you ever encounter Thunderguts!!!! or Porkie in full belt rage? or Mason with the ruler over the hand...ouch.

And which teachers then got the most respect and good behaviour??. I got the belt on nearly "a regular basis" and always deserved it!. It taught me not to muck about or carry on with the above named teachers nor Andy Anderson or the current Rector in Wick high Mr Trail as "once bitten twice shy". In my time Mr Izzet was the person who everyone played up with, as getting the belt from him never hurt and was considered fun. I agree with the belt and would agree with the punishment to my children if deserved, I got it and I don't think it did me any harm and I haven't been locked up YET!!.

winnie
24-May-07, 22:37
bring it back, might sort out some of the behaviour you see from kids now a days

did me no harm ,i would bring it back for the high school only they need it i no wa 2 init

Ricco
26-May-07, 06:50
I had the strap several times in Thurso High. Not for being naughty but for things like poor spelling (imagine the treatment a dyslexic kid would get!), for not being able to paint and for not liking English. Netta Duck, Dragon Duncan and an art teacher I can't remember were the culprits. What an idea, eh.... kid can't do something so beat it into them!

I would never support the use of corporal punishment for a lack of ability but I think it could still be useful for very poor behaviour. As you can see, though - it did do my spelling some good. ;)

SNOWDOG
26-May-07, 08:08
I remember getting the belt once from a 'trigger-happy' headmaster when i was in primary five for what i recall was something very trivial. I made sure i never got it again but this unfortunately 'marked their card' as far as i was concerned with headmasters! :(

buggyracer
26-May-07, 13:00
the belt DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!

Look at the first page of this thread, 3 or 4 0f the posters on it have now been banned so they still have a rebelious streak in them lol :)

Ricco
27-May-07, 08:46
the belt DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!

Look at the first page of this thread, 3 or 4 0f the posters on it have now been banned so they still have a rebelious streak in them lol :)

I think that these were for other issues, though goodness knows what for.

highlander2222
27-May-07, 16:24

[I]t did me no HARM/I]

karia
27-May-07, 18:29
I was strapped thrice at school. Stingingly, several times on the palm.
For using my desk to give an impression of Ringo Starr as the deputy head walked in the classroom. Also for peering up my German teachers skirt. We had deployed the tactic of dropping pencils as she passed by, the fourth time she rumbled and typically it was me that was getting the fourth eyeful. It wasn't worth it, in case you were thinking.

The third time was merely for playing football in the wrong place. An over-reaction in my humble opinion. The only way to fight back was to adopt an arrogant , almost casual stance and stare defiantly forward ignoring any pain.
Strapping never did me any harm, as I'm sure you will attest.
(?)
Ah Percy, the old skirt trick!
I got that when I worked as an examination invigilator, but it was my cleavage they were after so they dropped things the other way round.:)

Mind you I got 'ruler rapped', aged 5..for letting one of my connecting
beads roll off the desk.

Teaching, like nursing,...attracts the best, most caring individuals...& the out & out sadists.

highlander
27-May-07, 18:48
I never got the strap, but when i started school i went to the west public, and the teacher Mrs Wares was a scary wifie, but i had an apple in my desk, and kept on lifting the lid to check it was still there, so she caught me, and rapped me across the fingers with a ruler, from that day i remember saying to myself never to take an apple to school again LOL

karia
27-May-07, 19:06
Highlander, How do you feel about apples in your adult life.

I actually have a much worse tale of teacher damage done but they won because I can't talk about it. suffice it to say it has shaped my entire life.

I hope they don't realise how important these events are to the very young because if they do then they are totally evil and beyond comprehension.

Teachers are so important & a bad teacher can do untold damage.

woo, heavy, sorry K.

Sporran
27-May-07, 19:38
I never got the strap, but when i started school i went to the west public, and the teacher Mrs Wares was a scary wifie, but i had an apple in my desk, and kept on lifting the lid to check it was still there, so she caught me, and rapped me across the fingers with a ruler, from that day i remember saying to myself never to take an apple to school again LOL

Hmmm, I never got the strap either, Highlander, but I must admit to getting my knuckles rapped with a ruler in the West Public School too! It was by my Primary 1 teacher, Mrs Bruce, who was strict, but not quite as scary as Mrs Wares. It was just the one time, but I think it was uncalled for, really. I told her we were going on holiday to see my grandparents, and it must have been planned for during term time, because she told me off for not bringing in a note from my parents. I was shocked when she rapped me across the knuckles, and believe me, I made sure I brought in a note the very next day!! :eek:

karia
27-May-07, 20:28
Hi sporran, yeah , primary one....master criminals in the making !

we were wee bairns...:roll:

karia