PDA

View Full Version : Shame

Zambo
24-Mar-06, 22:55
Isn't it a shame that so many posters are leaving the forum (for whatever reason), and others are being suspended etc.

I'm really not getting at anyone, but the atmosphere seems to be changing here. I hardly ever post, but I do read the messageboards regularly, and I enjoy reading all the posts. It just seems that there are so many arguments, suspensions etc - can't we all just try to get on and have friendly debates, instead of arguments?

Lucy
24-Mar-06, 22:59
I agree with you Zambo. More often than not i am just "Lurking" and when i read posts which has obviously started or has already gone out of control with people arguing it puts me off posting myself and i end up just switching off the computer without doing anything.:(

Saveman
24-Mar-06, 23:08
Fear not my friends.
The Org will find it's way.....

:)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-Mar-06, 23:11
Stand up and be counted.The guys have set up this website to promote Caithness for all the world to see what its like.The forum is a part of it,but just a wee part.

If you want to get a wee bit more controversial then pm the orger.A many a blue joke that has been pm'd over the past few weeks,because we knew ourselves they weren't suitable for the org.

The negative side is if ye do pm someone a joke and ye refer to this cleanly later on in a later post,some orgers will be totally lost.

angela5
24-Mar-06, 23:19
Stand up and be counted.The guys have set up this website to promote Caithness for all the world to see what its like.The forum is a part of it,but just a wee part.

If you want to get a wee bit more controversial then pm the orger.A many a blue joke that has been pm'd over the past few weeks,because we knew ourselves they weren't suitable for the org.

The negative side is if ye do pm someone a joke and ye refer to this cleanly later on in a later post,some orgers will be totally lost.

:confused:cedric, the elephant may have caused some confusion then!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-Mar-06, 23:21
:confused:cedric, the elephant may have caused some confusion then!!

Definetly caused confusion ma pal......definetly!!!!!!:lol: :lol:

laguna2
25-Mar-06, 13:51
I agree with you Zambo. More often than not i am just "Lurking" and when i read posts which has obviously started or has already gone out of control with people arguing it puts me off posting myself and i end up just switching off the computer without doing anything.:(

I agree too. I used to enjoy coming on to the board, and although I tended to "lurk" and only post very occasionally it was enjoyable. However, recently there have been more and more arguments and personal attacks. A pity as I too tend to switch off as I don't want to become involved.

tommy1979
25-Mar-06, 15:46
Ive been banned many times but i keep coming back for more, although sometimes I do feel that the Mods are a tad heavy handed. However its not an easy job they do!!!

obiron
25-Mar-06, 16:19
noticed myself that there have been a few personal attacks seems to be the same "family" . I really enjoy the crack on here passes a wee while in the day.

Gleber2
25-Mar-06, 16:49
noticed myself that there have been a few personal attacks seems to be the same "family" . I really enjoy the crack on here passes a wee while in the day.

As a new Orger I lurked for a while, posted a few comments and then screwed up my courage and started a thread. I was most enthusiastic and then got attacked by a former Orger. I retaliated in kind and eventually got a PM telling me to watch myself and there-after I found that my posts were being ignored by a number of members which led me to make enquiries and I was told that I had got on the wrong side of the Org Mafia. I am not an afficianado of conspiracy theory but I began to wonder about this one, the existence of which seems to be accepted by others who post. When the debates are brought down to the level of petty and childish attacks on others because they dare to hold a controversial opinion then the whole concept of a forum is debased. No matter what one's personal beliefs may be, we need to be able to express them, irregardless of who is or isn't offended as long as the rules are observed and acted upon.

One needs to have thick skin to expose one's thoughts on a public forum and those who attack must be prepared to defend or run. A lot of the present debate about people leaving,etc., started when I decided to have a showdown with Jjc without a thread to argue about and to obscure the issue. I have a few regrets about the outcome of my decision to attack but none about the attack. I find it hard to accept that a forum of apparently intelligent people can can descend to the level that this one has over the last few weeks. Why can we not behave like adults and continue to enjoy a unique forum without the acrimony?

golach
25-Mar-06, 17:05
I retaliated in kind and eventually got a PM telling me to watch myself and there-after I found that my posts were being ignored by a number of members which led me to make enquiries and I was told that I had got on the wrong side of the Org Mafia.

I find it hard to accept that a forum of apparently intelligent people can can descend to the level that this one has over the last few weeks. Why can we not behave like adults and continue to enjoy a unique forum without the acrimony?

Ah come on Glebbeer2, you cannot be serious.....Org Mafia????.....I dont think so, I dont know who you made the enquirys to, but I think you were being lead up the proverbial garden path there. It wizzna a cheil formally from Smith Terrace was it?
But I do agree with your later statement, about our unique forum. Its getting like a bunch of petty teenagers in here at time, teenagers have excuses, they dont know any better, and have not learnt their place in society....yet. But most of us in here are supposed to be adults....so I like you owld mate, suggest that we all act like grown ups, and enjoy the repartee

willowbankbear
25-Mar-06, 17:12
http://i2.tinypic.com/s61wlf.jpg

Saveman
25-Mar-06, 17:17
Org Mafia? That's a new one! I wonder who the Godfather is? Golach? ;)

:lol:

Gleber2
25-Mar-06, 19:27
http://i2.tinypic.com/s61wlf.jpg

Not whining, not winging, not complaining, only stating what I have felt and observed after almost five months on the Org.:confused:

Gollach? God Father? Org Mafia? I believe it took the CIA until the Fifties to admit that the Cosa Nostra existed(Might have been the FBI in the sixties??)

porshiepoo
25-Mar-06, 20:03
As a new Orger I lurked for a while, posted a few comments and then screwed up my courage and started a thread. I was most enthusiastic and then got attacked by a former Orger. I retaliated in kind and eventually got a PM telling me to watch myself and there-after I found that my posts were being ignored by a number of members which led me to make enquiries and I was told that I had got on the wrong side of the Org Mafia. I am not an afficianado of conspiracy theory but I began to wonder about this one, the existence of which seems to be accepted by others who post. When the debates are brought down to the level of petty and childish attacks on others because they dare to hold a controversial opinion then the whole concept of a forum is debased. No matter what one's personal beliefs may be, we need to be able to express them, irregardless of who is or isn't offended as long as the rules are observed and acted upon.

One needs to have thick skin to expose one's thoughts on a public forum and those who attack must be prepared to defend or run. A lot of the present debate about people leaving,etc., started when I decided to have a showdown with Jjc without a thread to argue about and to obscure the issue. I have a few regrets about the outcome of my decision to attack but none about the attack. I find it hard to accept that a forum of apparently intelligent people can can descend to the level that this one has over the last few weeks. Why can we not behave like adults and continue to enjoy a unique forum without the acrimony?

I know what you mean. I know I can be a bit gobby at times but I've never meant anyone any harm, yet I've had pms with some quite threatening manners to them.
I'm logged on permanently at the mo, purely cos I can't be bothered to keep logging on, but I don't post much anymore and thats because there seems to be more and more threads started with the sole purpose of enticing anger and arguments.

I have to admit to all though that I've just fessed up to the admin that I too am guilty of a 2nd account, although in my defence that 2nd account didn't give much input to the site.

squidge
27-Mar-06, 10:37
Caithness.org mafia??? I have been here for more than four years and i have never come across such a thing and i never keep my mouth shut about anything. I also think the moderators know if im not happy with them cos im not behind the door about saying so. Who on earth is making threatening PMs??? If anyone should be banned then they should be.

I like this forum, i like the variety of people and I like the variety of topics. I no longer live in Caithness but i am interested in what is happening there - i still love the place. I like the fact that this board isnt smutty or full of swear words. I dont like the silly petty squabbling that goes on. I dont like the way that the rules dont appear to be applied fairly and objectively. I dont like the way threads appear to be deleted by the moderators I think it is heavy handed and unecessary. I have never been suspended or banned for anything and i dont expect to be but i have posts removed and threads removed in a heavy handed way. I have never complained to Niall or Colin about posts - if someone is offensive or unpleasant then i tell the person concerned in the open forum - i dont pm nastily and i dont complain to the mods. I will admit to pming a couple of people to see whether they truly beleive the stuff they are posting or if they are just playing devil's advocate - sometimes its hard to tell.

I accept that running this board is a difficult job but they chose to do it. There is the option to share that by appointing other moderators but i am not sure if this has been done or not. I do think that the moderators - whoever they are - should be prepared to have their decisions challenged and their role debated without getting huffy and upset and they should be prepared to state clearly why they made a decision to remove a thread. Im not sure that has happened with Landmarkers threads. If the moderators dont think they should have to do that then they should remember the Maud and Coco thread - not only was the thread deleted but the whole fantasy island board was removed. Colin and Niall explained clearly why that was done and it was clear and unambiguous and true and although people didnt want it to go - me included - the expanation was there for all to see and understand

I like clarity and openness and fairness and thats not always the way it is here.

Gleber2
27-Mar-06, 15:33
[quote=squidge]Caithness.org mafia??? I have been here for more than four years and i have never come across such a thing and i never keep my mouth shut about anything. I also think the moderators know if im not happy with them cos im not behind the door about saying so. Who on earth is making threatening PMs??? If anyone should be banned then they should be.

The word Mafia conjures up all sorts of things, but in this case, although there are a number of other words I could have used, I used the word because it was the one I was given when I made inquiries via PM's as to what I seemed to have been doing wrong. Clique, group and several other words would have served. I like(d) this forum to the point of addiction but I have to admit that the present atmosphere in the Forum is most off-puting.:eyes

squidge
27-Mar-06, 15:38
The word Mafia conjures up all sorts of things, but in this case, although there are a number of other words I could have used, I used the word because it was the one I was given when I made inquiries via PM's as to what I seemed to have been doing wrong. Clique, group and several other words would have served. I like(d) this forum to the point of addiction but I have to admit that the present atmosphere in the Forum is most off-puting.:eyes

i guess im jsut not as popular as i hoped cos i have never been included in a "clique", group, or anything similar sob:(

Gleber2
27-Mar-06, 15:40
i guess im jsut not as popular as i hoped cos i have never been included in a "clique", group, or anything similar sob:(

I don't know about that. Gollllach seems to consider you a friend:o)

canuck
27-Mar-06, 16:14

I know of 2 orgers (other than golach) who watch for your posts. 3 is enough for a fan club.

squidge
27-Mar-06, 16:48
ooooooooooh more more more lol

Seriously though i dont feel i am part of any wee clique. Golach thinks i am his friend cos i am his friend - i met him in real life like i have a lot of other orgers but im not a cliquey sort of girl and im certainly not a mafia moll

Gleber2
27-Mar-06, 18:51
ooooooooooh more more more lol

Seriously though i dont feel i am part of any wee clique. Golach thinks i am his friend cos i am his friend - i met him in real life like i have a lot of other orgers but im not a cliquey sort of girl and im certainly not a mafia moll

Golach told me all about you LOL. I met him also and to my absolute horror, learned that we are sort of related. I'm sure that an upstanding owld mannie like him would never consort with a Mafia Moll