PDA

View Full Version : SSPCA Novelty Dog Show

BalmoreSSPCA
25-Jul-09, 00:13
Hi Just wanted to let everyone know that the Scottish SPCA are holding a Novelty Dog Show as part of the Gala activities. It will be on Sunday 9th August at 2pm, running along side the fun day at Thurso Beach. It will be held on the grassy area at end of the esplanade. Hope you will all bring your canine best friends and join in the fun.

porshiepoo
25-Jul-09, 09:43
Oooooo let's hope the bout of Kennel Cough that Balmore is suffering from is over by then. :eek:

BINBOB
25-Jul-09, 11:38
Oooooo let's hope the bout of Kennel Cough that Balmore is suffering from is over by then. :eek:

THAT was uncalled for....and kennel cough is really very mild in most dogs.u have probably just damaged the event.I would check with vet before making statements like that.:(

porshiepoo
25-Jul-09, 15:17
THAT was uncalled for....and kennel cough is really very mild in most dogs.u have probably just damaged the event.I would check with vet before making statements like that.:(

Okaaaaaaay.

Kennel cough is a highly contagious disease and perhaps you think that a hacking cough, retching, lathargy, probable high fever (among other less or more severe symptoms) are "very mild" but I certainly don't.
In fact I have had a Great Dane so severely ill when catching this disease at a kennel that she very nearly died. Thankfully she survived and bounced back but it's a very stressful disease for both the dog and the owner (not to mention expensive vet bills) and I personally believe that any bout of Kennel Cough ANYWHERE should be made known to those who have an interest in knowing.

Why on earth would I check with a vet before making a very true statement???
I merely pointed out that Balmore have had a bout of Kennel Cough and I for one would want to know this info.

Have I lied? Nope!
What's more, a dog in our village who spent a few days at Balmore recently now has Kennel cough also and has probably inadvertently passed this onto my dogs - I shall just have to wait and see whether mine are affected.
But I can tell you now Binbob, no matter how "mild" the symptoms I am really not looking forward to either my young pup or my old Yorkie showing the dreaded signs.

The only thing I will apologise for is the tone of my first answer. I admit I appeared to be mocking when I didn't mean to be.

Metalattakk
25-Jul-09, 15:21
Hi Just wanted to let everyone know that the Scottish SPCA are holding a Novelty Dog Show as part of the Gala activities. It will be on Sunday 9th August at 2pm, running along side the fun day at Thurso Beach. It will be held on the grassy area at end of the esplanade. Hope you will all bring your canine best friends and join in the fun.

I'm sorry to say I don't have any Novelty Dogs. :(

northener
25-Jul-09, 15:41
I have a Novelty Keyring...can I come?:D

Seriously though, I hope everyone has a great day, can't make it myself unfortunately (working).

summer
25-Jul-09, 16:44
Where can we see a list of classes or an entry form?

I hope it's a nice day for it.

Liz
25-Jul-09, 17:36

Why would this be a problem as the event is being held away from Balmore and, I would assume, no dogs from Balmore will be in attendance?

unicorn
25-Jul-09, 19:20
It doesn't just affect dogs either I know a guinea pig breeder in the south who was wiped out with it 3 months ago.
Depending on how the virus carries and whether it survives on other surfaces the virus could possibly be carried in without any dogs from Balmore attending.

Liz
25-Jul-09, 19:24
Crikey didn't realise it affected some other animals?!

It is a horrible virus and should certainly be contained.

The dog show would be okay if it was run by people who haven't been in contact with the infected dogs.

BINBOB
25-Jul-09, 19:38
Ihave had dogs with kennel cough............yes it was vry unpleasant,but I knew they would recover abd they did,with benylin/antibiotics.

It was caused by a so called friend bringing 3 of her infected dogs with her.As I said my 2 dogs recovered well and quickly.

As the show is on 9th aug.it is quite a bit away,so surely ,no problem.
I would personally be more afraid of catching THAT FLU ..
So no hard fellings,porshipoo.:)

porshiepoo
26-Jul-09, 12:55
The virus that causes kennel cough can be spread by cats, pigs, guinea pigs and rabbits and dogs shed the virus for up to 3 months after infection.

Look guys, despite the pm's I'm getting I stand by my view on this.
It is irresponsible for anyone to knowingly spread this highly contagious disease.
I understand completely that it is deemed "mild" however that is no consolation to the owner who's dog has contracted the disease and is now paying vet fees for medications and/or consultations, or for those owners who have dogs that have a severe case.

IMO Balmore have a responsibility to all dog owners in the area. If they are following procedure and are sure that there is no threat to local dogs then all is well.
I haven't lied about Balmore having Kennel Cough and don't believe it should be brushed aside and not mentioned simply because it is an animal shelter - in fact they have more responsibility on their shoulders.
I just get suspicious and angry when the success of a local show (albeit charitable) is put above the health of our pets. I can't imagine that owners whose dogs contract the disease in these situations can claim their expenses back????? Oh no, that wouldn't be charitable, would it!!!! [evil]

Kevin Milkins
26-Jul-09, 14:10
Do most people vaccinate against kennel cough? It cost me £20-00 for the original and I think the booster was £15-00.

It is certainly a subject that dog owners should read up on.
Video results for kennel cough (http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=en&q=kennel+cough&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=GlVsSq7TH4i5jAfM89X5Dg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4)

porshiepoo
26-Jul-09, 14:26
I believe (but not 100% sure) that general vaccinations may help protect against several of the causative agents of Kennel Cough, but not all.
I don't think these vaccinations completely prevent the disease being caught though but may help the severity of it.

unicorn
26-Jul-09, 14:27
Well I for one Thank you porshie for pointing this out. I thought it would be good to take the dogs along to but I am not willing to take a risk with my rabbits and cavies and could have blindly brought it home.
I know I could bring it home from any walk but to take a known risk is absolutely not worth it for me.

Liz
26-Jul-09, 14:46
I agree with you Unicorn and wouldn't want to expose my animals to any possible risk of catching this horrible disease.

Thanks for alerting us to this Porshie.:D

BalmoreSSPCA
27-Jul-09, 00:30
Balmore is infact in quarantine due to an out break of Kennel Cough. Nobody is being allowed into the Centre and all visits have been cancelled. This quarantine was an elective decision in consultation with our own vet and the local vets. All dogs in our care are under the treatment or supervsion of the local vets and have all been vaccinated for kennel cough. We are doing our best to isolate this outbreak although it came to us via stray dogs from within the County. So although we are isolating and controlling the kennel cough at the Centre it is still possible that other dogs, not having any connection to Balmore will get it. Lets Hope not.

As for the Dog Show it was not going to be run by the staff at the Centre but was via our Fundraising Branch who have had no contact with the dogs in the Centre. A final decision will have to be made.

BINBOB
27-Jul-09, 02:48
Thank u for explaining....I do hope the show gets the ok,to raise funds for ur gallant efforts in caring for unfortunate animals.;).

dragonfly
27-Jul-09, 07:57
well my 2 have had their kennel cough puffs so we'll be ok :lol: looking forward to it