PDA

View Full Version : Seawatch Foundation

Seabird
24-Mar-06, 14:29
I do a lot of seawatching all year round and send in reports of sightings to the above organisation.
Caithness is showing to be one of the best areas for sightings on the East coast for Minkes, Orcas, and Risso's dolphins.
More information is required regards the best places to observe these cetaceans.
I'm sure there are lots of people who have seen various creatures and i know some have reported them to the Ranger service who pass this information on.
I know Lybster, Whaligoe, have a proven record for sightings because these are areas i observe from myself.
At the moment, as far as i know, i am the only person observing and sending reports to seawatch from Caithness.
I would be very happy if i could find someone who could join me on my watches even if it's only to validate my reports.
If any one is prepared to spend a couple of hours a month observing, making out a report and sending it to seawatch then please contact me colinb51@aol.com or hanna.nuuttila@seawatchfoundation.org.uk.
Seawatch reports are published on the internet and are read by people all round the world, lets get Caithness noticed.
Wild life tourism has become big business lets get more of it in Caithness.

kas
24-Mar-06, 19:42
Hello Seabird

I have been putting my records in last year to them. From my house in Scrabster we see cetaceans, quite often and they are a pleasure to watch.

I saw my first and only porpoise of the year 2 weeks ago. They are probably there more but it is getting calm conditions to see them right now.

The Orca have managed to elude me so far. I have got my fingers crossed for this year though, and cant wait to get my first ever sighting of them.

Seabird
25-Mar-06, 13:53
Thanks Kas,
I know you have sent in sightings in the past, but i did not see any reports from you on the seawatch sightings list last year.
I know Iain said he was going to phone you to see if you were still watching that was in the Summer last year.
Your best chance of an Orca sighting will be at Whaligoe steps Ulbster during August also Minke and Risso's come within 100 meters of shore.
I've posted some shots on the tugmistress web site taken last year.
I am hoping to get Orca shots this year now i have a better camera, and Whaligoe is my best hope.
I was at Whaligoe on Wednesday and spent 12 minutes watching Risso's and Porpoise, and an hour before that watched the same from Lybster.
These 2 places seem to be the premier area for Risso's and Orcas.
If i remember you had a lot of sighting of minkes and whitebeaked dolphins in the Thurso Bay area.
I know you use a telescope and i know you have posted a minke picture and some bird pictures.
I would be interested in the camers you used and the method you used.
The weather for this Sunday unless the situation as changed predicts a sea state of 2 with a North Wind, ideal for sea watching from the East coast.
I'll be at Lybster in the Morning and Whaligoe in the afternoon with fingers crossed, that the cetaceans will co-operate with a show.