PDA

View Full Version : Decorating tips

ashaw1
24-Jul-09, 11:42
I have always been a reluctant decorator and have always found the whole experience a bit of a nightmare. I am now faced with decorating a whole house pretty much from scratch. Painting, papering, laying carpets/laminate, hanging blinds etc.

I have picked up a few hints and tips over the years, wrapping the brushes in clingfilm, carrying the emulsion down onto the skirtings before glossing etc. Just wondered if anyone else had any hints and tips to make this whole process a little more bearable?

Kodiak
24-Jul-09, 11:59
I have picked up a few hints and tips over the years carrying the emulsion down onto the skirtings before glossing etc.

I would suggest that you reverse this procedeure. Gloss should be painted on the Skirting First and then the Emulsion on the Walls after the Gloss has throughly dried.

The reason for this is simple. If you do the Gloss first and then paint the Emulsion on the walls and while Painting the Walls you accidently paint some Emulsion on the Gloss then it is a Simple matter to wipe the excess Emulsion off the gloss Paint, it just slides off.

The way you say is much more Difficult as if you accidently paint gloss paint on Emulsion then you will Not get all the Gloss Paint off the Emulsion. The end result is a much cleaner and professionl finish.

The Very best advice though is to get a Professional in to do the Painting and another to lay the Carpet then you will be sure of a good result.

ciderally
24-Jul-09, 13:33
ah best of luck to you...i just tackled papering the bathroom...hu..nearly put me back on the fags.....but got it done...with not too many errors....well.....just crack at it and dont panic..tee hee

bobbyrussell09
24-Jul-09, 15:06
I have always been a reluctant decorator and have always found the whole experience a bit of a nightmare. I am now faced with decorating a whole house pretty much from scratch. Painting, papering, laying carpets/laminate, hanging blinds etc.

I have picked up a few hints and tips over the years, wrapping the brushes in clingfilm, carrying the emulsion down onto the skirtings before glossing etc. Just wondered if anyone else had any hints and tips to make this whole process a little more bearable?
my advice,hire someone to do it lol,well wat my oh dad done was got someone in to do a room an picked up tips from him

joxville
24-Jul-09, 15:20
After putting the lid on the gloss store the tin upside down-the skin that forms on the surface then becomes the bottom of the tin when righted.

ShelleyCowie
24-Jul-09, 15:48
Im in the same predicament as you! Im trying to decorate the bathroom. I have a vision in my head of what i want it to look like, but i know it will never turn out that way! Then i have the lobby (upstairs and downstairs), livingroom and my bedroom to do. :~(

Good luck to ya! I hate decorating!

Rheghead
24-Jul-09, 15:51
Build a log house, no internal painting or wall papering. Just treat outside every 5 years, you must like wood though! :lol:

BRIE
24-Jul-09, 16:59
I love decorating!! :D
If your wallpapering the easiest way to paste the paper is to use a paint roller, saves alot of time. also if its not a matching pattern on the paper measure & cut a few pieces at a time saves on the backache! also cut the top & bottom with a stanley knife instead of scissors makes for a neater line but make sure the blade is sharp.

George Brims
24-Jul-09, 19:50
I would suggest that you reverse this procedeure. Gloss should be painted on the Skirting First and then the Emulsion on the Walls after the Gloss has throughly dried.

The reason for this is simple. If you do the Gloss first and then paint the Emulsion on the walls and while Painting the Walls you accidently paint some Emulsion on the Gloss then it is a Simple matter to wipe the excess Emulsion off the gloss Paint, it just slides off.

The way you say is much more Difficult as if you accidently paint gloss paint on Emulsion then you will Not get all the Gloss Paint off the Emulsion. The end result is a much cleaner and professionl finish.

The Very best advice though is to get a Professional in to do the Painting and another to lay the Carpet then you will be sure of a good result.
Good suggestion about the order of painting. Mine would be to make the skirting board the same paint as the walls (I live in the US where there's much less of a skirting board, sometimes just a wee 2 inch or so strip). If you do make them different, masking tape makes it so much easier to keep the paint colours separate. Also if you do change the carpet in a room, do the painting between taking up the old carpet and putting down the new. Painting goes a lot faster if you're not nervously tiptoeing round your paint bucket and roller tray in case you turn one of them over!

ashaw1
24-Jul-09, 21:59

I have tried this before but have usually found that the emulsion doesn't adhere very well to the gloss!

ashaw1
24-Jul-09, 22:00
my advice,hire someone to do it lol,well wat my oh dad done was got someone in to do a room an picked up tips from him

In an ideal world this would be my first choice! Unfortunately the budget just doesn't stretch as far as a professional!

Kodiak
24-Jul-09, 22:02
I have tried this before but have usually found that the emulsion doesn't adhere very well to the gloss!

Well you paint the Gloss on the Skirting Board and the Emulsion on the wall. That way there is no Gloss to paint over, as the meercat says simples. :D

sweetpea
24-Jul-09, 22:54
Only advice I could give you is to keep going and don't be put off until it's done. I've done a fair bit myself over the years and it may not be perfect but it's done the job. No complaints so far.

Alice in Blunderland
24-Jul-09, 22:59
Throw a paint party. :D Invite all us orgers, give us a brush and tell us to get on with it.

No guarantees it will be perfect :eek: but it will probably be a great night. :lol:

Kevin Milkins
24-Jul-09, 23:29
Throw a paint party. :D Invite all us orgers, give us a brush and tell us to get on with it.

No guarantees it will be perfect :eek: but it will probably be a great night.

I know a certain orger that is very good at painting (or should be by now) and is available on Thursday evening 27th August.;)

purplelady
24-Jul-09, 23:56
Am in the same boat have been in my flat for a yr and still going just at living room noe lol then my room bathroom and kitchen ho the joys xxxx

mumof2
25-Jul-09, 19:31
just take ur time and try not to get scunnered wi it, me and OH papered livin room wen kids were in bed and if we were married we would ave been divorced:lol: i like paintin tho, i would suggest paintin everything rather than papering. my sis did that for her whole house and it looks brill. good luck rather u than me!

glenniepup
25-Jul-09, 20:48
get ur faither to do it ! he is only yappin at his work.

Vistravi
25-Jul-09, 23:32
I hate decoratating. i can't do wallpaper as i end up with more on me than on the walls and i do not have the patience to do it. i prefer to paint everything. Easy to keep clean too. Kids drawings can be painted over easily and easy to wipe clean during food mess and ultimatley so much easier to do. :D More variety too as you can get creative with it.

Advice for when it comes to painting is to use masking tape over plug fittings and so forth. no worries bout paint going on it and not coming off then;)

Good luck. Rather you than me;)

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jul-09, 23:50
I know a certain orger that is very good at painting (or should be by now) and is available on Thursday evening 27th August.;)

Nah she disna paint ...........................she watches it dry. :lol: :lol: