PDA

View Full Version : Donald Mowat/ Christina Innes Sutherland

lesley wilkinson
22-Jul-09, 19:10
I am the great grandaughter of the above named who I believe lived at The Greens Brough Dunnet until circa 1950 when they brought my mother Christeen Elizabeth Sutherland Gibbons born Nov 1942 to England to be with her mother Jamesina Sutherland Gibbons nee Mowat born 1923. Donald was originally from Thurso but the Sutherlands were crofters in Dunnet. There may be a connection to lighthouses? I am looking for any information on the family

Kathb
23-Jul-09, 18:44
Lesley,the lighthouse and Mowat ring a bell so to speak. There is a connection with my husband's Smith line and the Mowat family. Somewhere in my notes I have a Mowat with a second marriage after being married to a Smith and with him and his second wife being at a lighthouse - I can't say until I have delved in these notes if it were Dunnet or not. However our branch of the Smiths were from Brough, Dunnet for quite some hundred years.
Regards
Kathb
I will get back to you when I have located the connection

Kathb
24-Jul-09, 17:42
Lesley, I have found my notes the connection although very tenuous (and unfortunately not the Mowat line of the family) with the Smith Family is as follows~
James Hewisons first wife was Mary Anne Smith - she died in 1868
He later married Jane Ducat of Dunnet Head Lighthouse on 12th November 1872.
The marriage certificate shows Jane as the daughter of James Ducat Farmer and Louisa Ducat
Jane was aged 21 and James 34.
Sorry we have Mowat connections through a Smith daughter marriage, but not what you are probably looking for.
Regards
Kathb

lesley wilkinson
24-Jul-09, 18:20
tahnks for trying and getting back to me it is much appreciated