PDA

View Full Version : Groat article on school placements

willrob
21-Jul-09, 20:26
Nearly three weeks have passed since the article in the Groat regarding the Macleod family's quest to have their child placed in the Hillhead School. The lack of response by Councillor Fernie and his council cronies smacks of council policy of ' Ignore it and it will go away'. Hope this is reflected when next Councillor Fernie comes calling requesting votes.
Funny how councillors forget those who put them where they are.

Your biggest friend is your greatest enemy.

catran
21-Jul-09, 21:26
Thought they had got their child into the Hillhead school.

willrob
21-Jul-09, 21:41
They were successful but one has to reflect on the total lack off assistance afforded by Bill Fernie

Tristan
21-Jul-09, 22:06
Any more details as to class numbers etc or a link to the article? Is Hillhead even in Fernie's area?

telfordstar
21-Jul-09, 23:26
I totallt sympathise with the macleod family and am glad they got their daughter in p1 there. The whole catchment area for schools is a joke some streets just 5 mins from a school are in another schools catchment. I am lucky that i am in the catchment for the school that i wanted my kids to go to but know of a few who outside the catchment who had to apply to get their kids to go to the desired school.

Would be interesting to hear bills thoughts. Seem some councellors help some and not others!!!!!!

northener
22-Jul-09, 08:46
They were successful but one has to reflect on the total lack off assistance afforded by Bill Fernie

Proof, please.

Put up or shut up.

telfordstar
22-Jul-09, 10:03
Proof, please.

Put up or shut up.

ohhhhhhhhh touchy subject eh? :lol:

northener
22-Jul-09, 15:48
Not at all, Telfordstar.

I don't like people who spout off on forums about someone without backing up their argument with facts. It's only fair.

I note their has been no rush to the keyboard to present evidence from Willrob.........

Venture
22-Jul-09, 16:23
Not at all, Telfordstar.

I don't like people who spout off on forums about someone without backing up their argument with facts. It's only fair.

I note their has been no rush to the keyboard to present evidence from Willrob.........

Perhaps he hasn't replied because he is at work during the day.;)

northener
22-Jul-09, 16:29
Perhaps he hasn't replied because he is at work during the day.;)

I'll have to agree with you there, Venture. I'd convinced myself that I'd posted last night...it was this morning actually.:roll:

So I withdraw my comment regarding his lack of a reply.

willrob
22-Jul-09, 20:11
Still of an age when I have to work.
Jist of the story is that Councillor Fernie was approached for assistance and his response was that the council were acting within the rules. He did not see fit to meet with the parents and dismissed them by E'Mail.
The appeal found that the council were not acting by the rules set by government and the child was allowed into the Hillhead school.
There were a considerable number of rules that were not being adhered to.
I'm sure that if anyone wants more info then Mrs Macleod who lives in Thurso Road would be more than willing.
The main gripe is that Councillor Fernie chairs the education committee so, if anyone he should have known what was going on.
The government says that P1 class size can be up to 30 children. HRC said that it was 25.
Guess who was correct.

Alice in Blunderland
22-Jul-09, 20:30
Jist of the story is that Councillor Fernie was approached for assistance and his response was that the council were acting within the rules. He did not see fit to meet with the parents and dismissed them by E'Mail.
The appeal found that the council were not acting by the rules set by government and the child was allowed into the Hillhead school.
There were a considerable number of rules that were not being adhered to.
I'm sure that if anyone wants more info then Mrs Macleod who lives in Thurso Road would be more than willing.
The main gripe is that Councillor Fernie chairs the education committee so, if anyone he should have known what was going on.
The government says that P1 class size can be up to 30 children. HRC said that it was 25.
Guess who was correct.

I was wondering would Bill have replied that the council were acting within the rules because the rules he was referencing to were the Highland Council rules ?

Yes, he is chair of the committee and chairs are supposed to be neutral when attending to this duty are they not ? Previous chairs were not said to be neutral and this caused a lot of ill feeling is it damned if you do damned if you don't ?

Please don't take me wrong in this reply I think the parents were right to appeal this further and its great that they won their case however I am you could say playing devils advocate. :)

On another point it is worthy of more parents becoming familiar with rules regarding their children's rights when dealing with schooling and Highland Council because I wonder how long before more cuts in budgets start to affect children's education further...................... :eek:

Tristan
22-Jul-09, 20:41
Still of an age when I have to work.

Guess who was correct.

The benefits of smaller class sizes are well documented. I hope we don't see P1 going up to 30 now.

willrob
22-Jul-09, 20:57
Totally agree, lets hope the powers that be do it correctly and fairly

telfordstar
22-Jul-09, 21:10
The benefits of smaller class sizes are well documented. I hope we don't see P1 going up to 30 now.

My son is in a class of 32 which in my opinion is way way to big. My daughter this year is going into a class of 19 which i am very happy about.

Moira
23-Jul-09, 00:27
The OP posts without even the briefest of outlines. Expects us to understand what has gone on before and to anticipate the outcome.

What on earth is this all about ?

hotrod4
23-Jul-09, 06:23
The OP posts without even the briefest of outlines. Expects us to understand what has gone on before and to anticipate the outcome.

I think you will find in the original post he mentioned it was an article from the groat,I am sure most locals on here read that,or can access the groat online.
Maybe by providing a brief outline at the outset he left it up to the individual to check all the facts?
He has a fair and valid point in my view and I knew what he was on about from the outset.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Jul-09, 07:09

I think you will find your answers here Moira. :)

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6843/Family_s_ordeal_over_school_placement.html

Moira
24-Jul-09, 17:17
Thank you Alice, that explains a lot.

Links are always good for those of us around here who are not mind-readers. :)