PDA

View Full Version : Another orger bites the dust!

Rheghead
23-Mar-06, 17:20
Whatever happened to Brandy? I have never known her to come out with anything controversial so what is going on?[para]

_awayoflife_
23-Mar-06, 17:26
suspended for sumthin or other i think but i may be wrong ,im sure i read it some where in a previous post

Saveman
23-Mar-06, 17:41
I believe it was for hashing/starring out an improper word.

Rheghead
23-Mar-06, 17:50
Apparently we can get suspended for using clean non-swear words now!![mad]

MadPict
23-Mar-06, 17:52
I believe she used a word which means " to change something so that its value declines; for example, art forms" and is the name of a comedy political show starring Rik Mayall...

Ann
23-Mar-06, 18:58
The word Brandy meant was "#####################ise" which means to debase something and is not a swear word. It is freely used in prose without pertaining to be an derogatory remark.
Ann

Ann
23-Mar-06, 18:59
I give up.......

DW
23-Mar-06, 20:38
I can attest to the fact that word masking is a punishable offence in these parts.
I too was dangled from a rope earlier for a month.......... but was that a row of full stops for emphasis or was it meant to be a word?

I dunno and I wrote!:o

Colin Manson
23-Mar-06, 20:50
Hi,

She wasn't banned for that nor would she have been. Do you think we suspend people for fun, it seems that some recent posts have caused mass paranoia.

I take no part in posting here so that I can be independent and fair, I apply the rules and where they are broken I take action.

beware though adult content!
*GRINS* BUT GREAT FUN!

I'm sure eveyone knows that we don't allow Adult content in posts or to linked websites.

2little2late
23-Mar-06, 22:32
What we seem to be forgetting is that the minimum age for this forum is 13 years. So obviously we have to be careful what we post, although a lot of teenagers are quite broad minded any way, but let's not forget all those that may feel offended by certain posts.

pulteney person
23-Mar-06, 22:58
The word 'offended' never ceases to AMAZE me.

We can't say what we want for fear of 'offending' people.
All I can say is, people must be easily upset in life.

This word 'offend' doesn't appear to be part of my life because I never have cause to object to messages on the grounds that they 'offend' me. I never feel 'offended' by anything someone might say.
I'm actually glad that I am the way I am (if that makes sense)

What is this word 'offend' all about or am I missing something in life?

Maybe all the 'offended' people in life should have a laugh (its really good for you and beneficial to health), relax and enjoy life and stop taking 'offence' at everyday things.

I haven't been on here for a few days but read that Brandy has caused 'offence' (the dreaded word) She seems the most unlikely person to cause the dreaded 'offence' word to anyone.

Is it a wind up??

Live life to the max, enjoy!! ;) :lol: :grin:

Pulteney and proud of it.:(

Saveman
24-Mar-06, 00:33
Hi,
Hi

She wasn't banned for that nor would she have been. Do you think we suspend people for fun, it seems that some recent posts have caused mass paranoia.

We're not paranoid. We just know that "mods" don't like "orgers." ;)

I take no part in posting here so that I can be independent and fair, I apply the rules and where they are broken I take action.

You've posted 181 times! ;)

I'm sure eveyone knows that we don't allow Adult content in posts or to linked websites.

Oh yeah, good point. :)

golach
24-Mar-06, 01:26
Hi
We're not paranoid. We just know that "mods" don't like "orgers." ;)
You've posted 181 times! ;)
Oh yeah, good point. :)
Savey, sorry I disagree wi ye, the admin that run this web are doing a thankless job, and if ye dinna agree....well what can I say!!!!

Ann
24-Mar-06, 07:51
Ok, now that I have washed the egg from off my face, I have found from the above experience that this forum is set to automatically mask "bad" words with characters.

I fully accept this as being the best way to eradicate "adult" content from these boards which, happily, are open to all ages.

I have also found out that it is best not to jump on the bandwagon and either keep my mouth shut or find out the full facts before I give my tuppence-worth!

I, along with Golach and others, fully appreciate the thankless job of the administrators and without them maybe we would have a lot more cause for complaint about some of the content of these boards.

Admin....I take my hat off to you all; I really do appreciate what you do for us.
Thank you,

Ann

Saveman
24-Mar-06, 08:54
Savey, sorry I disagree wi ye, the admin that run this web are doing a thankless job, and if ye dinna agree....well what can I say!!!!

I agree with you Golach. They do a great job. I was just messing about. :)

DW
24-Mar-06, 09:34
Ok, now that I have washed the egg from off my face, I have found from the above experience that this forum is set to automatically mask "bad" words with characters.

I fully accept this as being the best way to eradicate "adult" content from these boards which, happily, are open to all ages.

I have also found out that it is best not to jump on the bandwagon and either keep my mouth shut or find out the full facts before I give my tuppence-worth!

I, along with Golach and others, fully appreciate the thankless job of the administrators and without them maybe we would have a lot more cause for complaint about some of the content of these boards.

Admin....I take my hat off to you all; I really do appreciate what you do for us.
Thank you,

Ann

Does anyone else think it is interesting that this forum is set to automatically mask "bad" words with characters, but if one masks a word which people then assume is 'bad', one is banned for masking.

Niall Fernie
24-Mar-06, 11:18
We made a decision when the forum was first installed that we would have no adult content (content of a sexual nature) or swearing we also decided that linking to such content was just as bad.

As for the autocensor, well we cant stand over every poster as they post to ensure they dont post any rude words so the system blocks them in such a way that makes it easy for us to spot. If someone uses other characters to mask a swearword then this shows that they have made a pre-meditated decision to post a swearword which we feel is just as bad.

Due to the nature of the english language the auto censor will block some parts of works which are normally acceptable and I'm afraid we'll all just have to live with that until a better system is available. As is now obvious we do not suspend users when a word that is acceptable (spotted due to context) is automatically censored, in fact we spend a great deal of time looking at ways to circumvent the same happening again.

There is no minimum age for posters, we simply require that all children declare themselves as such when they register. However there is no limit or registration required for anyone to read all the posts on the site and it is for that reason that we have the rules that we do. In these early days of our new forum we receive around 2-300 visitors per month via search engines, the old forum having been around longer had over 3000 per month. These visitors are generally searching for "caithness something" and are not sent to our forum home page or indeed to our forum rules so we have to keep a check on what they will find when they get here. I can think of nothing more off-putting than some of the rubbish we now have stored in our "evidence locker".

Also you will notice that Google and other search engines have "safe searches" where you can be assured that no adult content will come up in your search. We cannot take the risk that our site would be blocked from these searches by allowing free-for-all posting on our site.

A thought comes to mind with the mention of the word "offended", what offends me is when users jump to conclusions and then go off on some rant about how we run the site. I'm really surprised to see that no-one has mentioned "free speech" yet (I have my stock response ready). If you don't agree with our rules just drop me a PM and I'll delete your account as you obviously didn't read the terms and conditions before you clicked "I agree".

Rheghead
24-Mar-06, 11:55
When I posted this thread I genuinely was surprised that Brandy had been suspended. Within minutes of posting, I got a pm from several sources to the effect that she was banned for swearing or masking though the context was not offensive. That in my opinion is a good reason to 'jump to a conclusion' as the timeframe was that within 15 minutes of the post, she was subsequently suspended. I thought that was unjust. As Colin later pointed out, that wasn't the reason, it was for another heinious offence, it just coincidently happened that the autocensor had masked one of the words in her post that led to a misunderstanding from many of us.

Please accept my apology for thinking ill of the admin team.:o

katarina
24-Mar-06, 15:39
Did the link contain adult material or was that just one of her 'GRINS'? did anyone check? Even a link to something offensive doesn't sound like brandy.

Colin Manson
24-Mar-06, 17:32
Yes it's been checked at least twice now.

wickerinca
24-Mar-06, 18:50
We made a decision when the forum was first installed that we would have no adult content (content of a sexual nature) or swearing we also decided that linking to such content was just as bad.

As for the autocensor, well we cant stand over every poster as they post to ensure they dont post any rude words so the system blocks them in such a way that makes it easy for us to spot. If someone uses other characters to mask a swearword then this shows that they have made a pre-meditated decision to post a swearword which we feel is just as bad.

Due to the nature of the english language the auto censor will block some parts of works which are normally acceptable and I'm afraid we'll all just have to live with that until a better system is available. As is now obvious we do not suspend users when a word that is acceptable (spotted due to context) is automatically censored, in fact we spend a great deal of time looking at ways to circumvent the same happening again.

There is no minimum age for posters, we simply require that all children declare themselves as such when they register. However there is no limit or registration required for anyone to read all the posts on the site and it is for that reason that we have the rules that we do. In these early days of our new forum we receive around 2-300 visitors per month via search engines, the old forum having been around longer had over 3000 per month. These visitors are generally searching for "caithness something" and are not sent to our forum home page or indeed to our forum rules so we have to keep a check on what they will find when they get here. I can think of nothing more off-putting than some of the rubbish we now have stored in our "evidence locker".

Also you will notice that Google and other search engines have "safe searches" where you can be assured that no adult content will come up in your search. We cannot take the risk that our site would be blocked from these searches by allowing free-for-all posting on our site.

A thought comes to mind with the mention of the word "offended", what offends me is when users jump to conclusions and then go off on some rant about how we run the site. I'm really surprised to see that no-one has mentioned "free speech" yet (I have my stock response ready). If you don't agree with our rules just drop me a PM and I'll delete your account as you obviously didn't read the terms and conditions before you clicked "I agree".

Well! Well!! You are offended! I was slightly offended by the timing of Brandy's suspension (I learned a bit about conspiracy theories from fred!!).

I was offended by Colin Manson's pm to me. He informed me that if I had a problem with someone's suspension that I should pm you or he on the matter. I replied to his pm in the same spirit in which his was written. I am still waiting for a reply.

I am definitely offended by your swipe at me (Yes! I will pull the hat on as I think I am assuming correctly when I say that it was made to fit!!). I did read your terms and conditions before I clicked "I agree" although I did have misgivings about the "as they see fit" portion. My initial knee-jerk reaction based on the timing of Brandy's suspension and on Landmarker's prior posts was that the bad reppers and moaners had been at it again. I did not assume that the mods had banned her on their own initiative. I do not know when the Brandy's offending post had appeared so I do not know what sort of time lapse had occurred between the 'adult content' post and her banishment.

I agree with your rules...I just don't agree with your implementation of them. I do not see the need to pm you about this. Please delete my account. For the good friends I have made here...tata the noo and I will see you in MadPictland!!

Colin Manson
24-Mar-06, 19:37
Account deleted as requested.

MadPict
24-Mar-06, 22:23
<snip>...tata the noo and I will see you in MadPictland!!

Just to clarify the above parting remark - I think "wickerinca" is referring to the forum area at the Caithness.org Frappr - I have not set up an alternative forum for ex-Orgers.

Thanks.

2little2late
24-Mar-06, 22:30
Can't understand what all the furore is about. Brandy made a mistake, she knew the rules when she signed up for the message board. Surely if any of us want to post a link to another website do we not double check there is no offensive material can be found on it?