PDA

View Full Version : Wick Gala / Procession/ Zip Slide (merged threads)

Tinkerbell09
20-Jul-09, 16:26
Wick Gala is only 6 days away! Cant wait, me and a few of my mate are going out as sailors and the guys are going out as Pirates!

Anyone else taking part :D?

lynne duncan
20-Jul-09, 18:12
was thinking about going as tinkerbell when i zip across the river but after looking in the mirror then i should go as the leader of the tinkers, she is more my size lol.

but don't think i'll have the nerve to dress up it will take all of the nerve to do the zip alone

Katy
20-Jul-09, 18:33
Dressing up in 70s for the zip slide but just going to watch the gala this year :(

Agree with you Lynn it is going to be nerve wracking enough doing the zip have you seen the height of it???!!!! I got a shock when I seen it!!!

Katy x

Camra
20-Jul-09, 18:37
Weather permitting, The Harlands will be playing in the Market Sq after the floats pass. 7:45 til 9:00.

lister
20-Jul-09, 20:20
Sounds like another good night to come,allways for me, but as ever the wheather plays a part(County show day just past for example) although it will never dampen the true spirits of thoses who want to enjoy the spectacle or take part.
Looking forward to it:lol:

TracyB
20-Jul-09, 21:17
I'll be dressed up! Any excuse for dressing up is good! We're all dressing up in work with a Scoobydoo theme, obviously ive opted to be a bad guy/gal (vampiress!):lol:

american gal
21-Jul-09, 00:39
I cant beleive that it is the gala on sat 25th for me this year has passed quickly so does that mean that the bonfire is on 1st august?? Last year my auld father told me "lassie ill never see another bonfire and fireworks as beautiful as they are the night" he was right he died this year. We never miss gala or bonfire as a family we have attended every year for all of my life. All the wickers pull together and have a right good auld time and the bairns greeting or laughing enjoy it too. It is those nights i am proud of where i am from. WICK.

lynne duncan
21-Jul-09, 09:20
aye katy, think my poor leggies will be more wobbly from the thought of climbing to the top of it rather than the zip slide itself

Katy
21-Jul-09, 09:49
aye katy, think my poor leggies will be more wobbly from the thought of climbing to the top of it rather than the zip slide itself

Me too Lynne! At least it is steps tho and not ladders think that would have really put me off!!! Think I will b needing a push with my eyes closed :L
I might see you on Saturday if not good luck :D
Kxxx

katarina
21-Jul-09, 18:22
Are you really going to do it Lynne? I would love to - but I can't get half way up a ladder without freezingso i guess i'd never get up there.

Dynamic Sounds
21-Jul-09, 18:50
Me too Lynne! At least it is steps tho and not ladders think that would have really put me off!!! Think I will b needing a push with my eyes closed :L
I might see you on Saturday if not good luck :D
Kxxx

Had a wee look at the scaffold on Saturday from the county show, and again today when I was in Wick at the hospital. It isn't that high.....

....ok it is quite high :cool:

Thank goodness I'll be at the landing area rather than the jump off point!

G

Katy
21-Jul-09, 19:12
Had a wee look at the scaffold on Saturday from the county show, and again today when I was in Wick at the hospital. It isn't that high.....

....ok it is quite high :cool:

Thank goodness I'll be at the landing area rather than the jump off point!

G

Good you will be at that side Graeme other than having lots of swear words and screaming going through your mike!! lol!
Too right it is high!! Not what I expected at all!
Will be a good start to the gala having the zip slide during the day!
Katy xx

Dynamic Sounds
22-Jul-09, 16:35
Good you will be at that side Graeme other than having lots of swear words and screaming going through your mike!! lol!

I don't believe a young lady would swear...

While I mind I will probably be taking a camera along that day to capture a few of the victims participants reactions on landing, and might interview a few aswell!

Katy
22-Jul-09, 17:58
I don't believe a young lady would swear...

While I mind I will probably be taking a camera along that day to capture a few of the victims participants reactions on landing, and might interview a few aswell!

I didn't say me.....like I would swear ;)

Please don't interview me i'm terribly shy lol!!!

Katy xx

lynne duncan
23-Jul-09, 11:47
"I don't believe a young lady would swear... "

good job I'm not young or a lady then !!!!!!!!!

looking forward to it but won't be able to hang around long in the morning as the abigail is dancing with the majorettes at the talent show in the assembly rooms, but will be back down when she's done there

crossing all crossable bits that the weather will behave!!!

Dynamic Sounds
24-Jul-09, 00:35
crossing all crossable bits that the weather will behave!!!

Yeah after the show last week would be horrible if it was raining again all day. Daying that I can hide under a gazebo, and inside the car if the weather is bad. Muste remember to take my hi-viz water proofs with me....

....saying all that, does anyone know what the state of the landing zone/show ring is in? After all the rain last week, don't want the car getting bogged down in mud.

G

lynne duncan
24-Jul-09, 00:45
was looking at it tonight but only from a sligh distance, when the bairns were at the sideshows. It looked green around it but i would imagine it will be very soft with the amount of rain we've had lately

Dynamic Sounds
24-Jul-09, 00:51
hmm - will take some scaffold planks to place under the front wheels of the car then so I can get a bit of grip to get out....

lynne duncan
24-Jul-09, 00:57
i could grab you some branches on the way down if you wish!!!

Dynamic Sounds
24-Jul-09, 15:15
If it wet I'd probebly prefer a nice hot mug of tea to some branches.....

...but then again I could start the bonfire a week early and boil a kettle on it?

katarina
24-Jul-09, 17:46
the participants must come down at some speed! how are they stopped? will there be an air bag for them to bang into?

mumof2
25-Jul-09, 14:40
not long back home from doing the zip slide over wick river just wanted to tell everyone it was great fun doing it and such a worthwhile cause. well done 2 everyone who took part, hell it's high up :lol:

elastic band
25-Jul-09, 16:26
well done to you and everyone else who was brave enough to do this. you should all be really proud of yourselves. we think you are all amazing !!

lynne duncan
25-Jul-09, 16:32
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/wickscorrie/Picture080.jpg

that was brilliant fun
a big thanks to all who sponsored myself and debbie

groater
25-Jul-09, 16:37
well done lynne and all that took part:D

mumof2
25-Jul-09, 16:45
it was good crack, don't know why i was so worried:Razz shame they couldn't do the 5 quid photos tho. will have 2 order online. i'm quite proud of myself now and think i've gone up in the cool stakes with the kids. not quite a web sling but still pretty cool!

taylor.4
25-Jul-09, 17:00
not long back home from doing the zip slide over wick river just wanted to tell everyone it was great fun doing it and such a worthwhile cause. well done 2 everyone who took part, hell it's high up :lol: Did the zip slide my-self this afternoon it was amazing i fair enjoyed it, screamed my head off but loved it, i totally agree about being high up :eek:, hope everyone else who took part enjoyed it as-well. Trying to think what i am going to do next, have done a fire walk and now a zip slide, not sure what exciting thing to do next????

mumof2
25-Jul-09, 17:05
woz wanderin the same thing, did firewalk in April aswell, surely some other crazy company will organise something equally thrilling for us 2 get our teeth into:lol:

celtic88chick
25-Jul-09, 17:05
I'm just back from doing the zip slide and have to say, i thoroughly enjoyed myself , although i did end up going down backwards:lol:. By accident of course. apart from that, i really really had a lot of fun!!!

christina
25-Jul-09, 17:11
Yip just back from doing it. It was great fun really scary from the the top of the tower though that was worse than the zip slide itself:lol:. Did slow down a lot half way acrooss though it was going to stop now that would of been a :lol:. We were dressed up as pirates scary ones at that.

Plus all the monies goes to a good charity that really needs it. Would deffo do it again. Will attach pics once I upload them . Fab day out. xx

Moira
25-Jul-09, 17:57
Well done everyone who took part. One look at the scaffolding going up last week was enough for me. :eek:

Dynamic Sounds
25-Jul-09, 18:04
the participants must come down at some speed! how are they stopped? will there be an air bag for them to bang into?

Just bag from spending all day at the zipslide. It was great fun.

The average speed was about 20 - 30 mph, and they were stopped by a couple of guys holding break ropes. Was a shame that they couldn't get the 100 people they hoped to do it, last total was about 92 I think.

And sorry to anyone I embarressed (apart from Katy & Lynn that is [smirk])

G

Dynamic Sounds
25-Jul-09, 18:16
Mega congrat to everyone who did it. I would have done it if it hadn't been for the fact I had to comentate, and the mic would have falen out of my hand if I tried it with the mic... honest :D

Was a great day and hope everyone, young, old and non Caithnessian who did it, enjoyed themselves

Oh and Lynn, while I mind, where are my branches??????

Kevin Milkins
25-Jul-09, 20:29
Just back from watching the carnival procession, thoroughly enjoyed it and the weather stayed fine as well.

One guy was not impressed with my mother in law as she was trying her hardest to put some cash in his can of cider.:eek::lol:

Well done to all those that made a big effort.

Kodiak
25-Jul-09, 20:33
One guy was not impressed with my mother in law as she was trying her hardest to put some cash in his can of cider.:eek::lol:

I would have loved to have seen this, did you take a Photo? If so please post it :D

annemarie482
25-Jul-09, 20:39
i see the alcohol ban worked then!!!! :lol::roll:

lynne duncan
25-Jul-09, 22:02
sorry climbing up the scaffold put all thoughts of the branches out o my head, hope you got out of the field okay. and you did a brill job
any idea how many took part in all?

mumof2
25-Jul-09, 22:34
glad the weather stayed good, floats were brill as usual just a bit of a shame that there weren't many i think there was about 8 or so. the drinking ban sooo didn't happen most were pretty merry :lol: quite right too!

dirdyweeker
25-Jul-09, 22:44
Saw the procession and certainly enjoyed them all. There is certainly a lot more folk on foot nowadays but think it all has a lot to do with costs and availability of lorries etc. Plenty cans so hopefully plenty of dosh! A splendid speech from the lovely Gala Queen.
I didn't think the law has come into effect yet banning drinking of alcohol on the streets?

brandy
25-Jul-09, 23:04
i loved the arabian knights float! that was so cool!

dirdyweeker
26-Jul-09, 02:46
i loved the arabian knights float! that was so cool!
was the stilt walker (who walked extremely well) part of that float? He / she made it look so easy to walk so tall.

brandy
26-Jul-09, 06:23
yeah he would have been jaffar.. the baddie from Aladdin. and the Genie was the blue one ahead of him. really well done i thought!

Dynamic Sounds
26-Jul-09, 08:17
sorry climbing up the scaffold put all thoughts of the branches out o my head, hope you got out of the field okay. and you did a brill job
any idea how many took part in all?

I think the final total was 91 or 92. Peter, the guy fron Clic Sargent, wanted to hit 100 and at the end was willing to let people do it for a donation, but alas no one there wanted to :(

If you want to do it again Lynn, they are having one in Inverness on September 5th, and I have been asked to help out at it if I can.

katarina
26-Jul-09, 08:32
Mega congrat to everyone who did it. I would have done it if it hadn't been for the fact I had to comentate, and the mic would have falen out of my hand if I tried it with the mic... honest :D

Was a great day and hope everyone, young, old and non Caithnessian who did it, enjoyed themselves

??????

Well done to everyone! Especially the great granny! Was she the oldest person to do it?

katarina
26-Jul-09, 08:39
all the floats were brilliant as ever, Much fewer than usual tho. that's a pity. The weather was good too, the atmosphere in the town later was dynamic - every pub full the the door - every one happy - no agro. Would be great if it was always like this. the only thing that spoiled it was the amount of litter thrown about the streets. Seemed like folk had take-aways, and just threw the wrappings on the ground. By home time we had to wade through a sea of pizza boxes, papers, polystyrene containers, etc. shame.

brandy
26-Jul-09, 08:54
i noticed there were a lot less floats.. the ones there were excellent though!!! a lot of hard work went into them you could tell!!! well done to everyone that put the work in!
my little boy had a blast! he was giving every one he could a penny! i swear he gave everyone on a float who had a tin or net money! even running along side the floats until he made sure everyone had some!

KCI
26-Jul-09, 09:51
Does anyone know if there is any way to get copie of the photos taken of the Zipslide?

I wanted to get a copy for a member of the family as a surprise - she did the Zipslide, but didn't bother getting a pic!

weeksider
26-Jul-09, 14:02
Which Floats /Walkers won the Top prizes ?
Did the Cave people win a award ? :lol:

Kevin Milkins
26-Jul-09, 14:15
Does anyone know if there is any way to get copie of the photos taken of the Zipslide?

I wanted to get a copy for a member of the family as a surprise - she did the Zipslide, but didn't bother getting a pic!

Not sure if you have seen these KCI.Wick Zip Slide 25/07/2009 (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=82121)

MileHigh
26-Jul-09, 23:41
Which Floats /Walkers won the Top prizes ?
Did the Cave people win a award ? :lol:

Adult Pairs 1st : On the Buses

Floats
Rose Bowl Maximum Effort : BlackStairs Marina

Supreme Award : Heaven and Hell

KCI
27-Jul-09, 15:25
Not sure if you have seen these KCI.Wick Zip Slide 25/07/2009 (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=82121)

Thanks Kevin - had a look, but the person I'm looking for isn't there!
Great pics though. :)