PDA

View Full Version : Mail deliveies

tonkatojo
20-Jul-09, 11:25
This is twice in the past two weeks my postie has delivered my mail/parcels at 11:00 am, now I am not complaining but would like to know why it is not so every day, It is usually any thing from 12:00 noon to 15:00 sometimes later. :(
I have often wondered if he is a part timer and turns in when or what time it suits him.

Mik.M.
20-Jul-09, 11:52
We got our post early today too 10.20,when it normally arrives at around noon.Perhaps the posties have got an afternoon trip out planned:lol:.

Katy
20-Jul-09, 11:55
We got our mail very early compared to normal as well! We are usually about lunchtime but must have been 11, looked like a different postie than normal tho!
Kxx

Julia
20-Jul-09, 12:42
I've always wondered why homes down south get their post at breakfast time, whereas we have much fewer homes to deliver to but our post is delivered much later?

Mik.M.
20-Jul-09, 12:51
Parcel Lady just delivered to us too! Whats going on?:confused

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-09, 12:53
I've always wondered why homes down south get their post at breakfast time, whereas we have much fewer homes to deliver to but our post is delivered much later?

I had a go at being a postman once and I was rubbish at it.

I thought a postman just turns up and someone handed him a bag of mail and away to go with a whistle, (not so). It was a 4-30 am start, sort your mail into a frame that dictates the order of your round and most posties would hit the streets by 7-00am.

I was often still sorting my round when some of the other posties were back at base having delivered there mail.

I don't think they start as early up here.

tonkatojo
20-Jul-09, 13:15
I had a go at being a postman once and I was rubbish at it.

I thought a postman just turns up and someone handed him a bag of mail and away to go with a whistle, (not so). It was a 4-30 am start, sort your mail into a frame that dictates the order of your round and most posties would hit the streets by 7-00am.

I was often still sorting my round when some of the other posties were back at base having delivered there mail.

I don't think they start as early up here.

I used to do relief for a postie whilst on SKYE. the mail arrived in the post office in Dunvegan at 11:00 we did the hand sort and off we went and were finished by 14-15:00. this was a part time thing using a wee van, but you Kevin must be talking about a city or a full time route. The route I did covered 11 mile or so, not so different to the rounds up here. were you on a bike or shank's pony ?.

kmahon2001
20-Jul-09, 13:23

I don't think anyone gets their post early any more. First post used to be something they would get out early - hopefully before people left for work and second post would come around lunchtime.

The Royal Mail have now combined these two deliveries into one and posties no longer start at the crack of dawn. So instead of getting our post at First post time, we get it at second post time or even later.

Down south, back in the good old days, my first post used to arrive at between 6am and 8am and second post arrived between 11am and 12:30pm. When the Royal Mail did away with first and second post, my single post delivery then used to arrive at between 1pm and 2pm - this I put down to the later start for the posties in addition to having to sort two lots of post in one go.

kmahon2001
20-Jul-09, 13:27
We got our mail very early compared to normal as well! We are usually about lunchtime but must have been 11, looked like a different postie than normal tho!
Kxx

Ours has been coming much earlier too - different postie from normal - maybe the regular postie is on holiday and the temporary replacement is taking the round in a different order?

tonkatojo
20-Jul-09, 13:29
I don't think anyone gets their post early any more. First post used to be something they would get out early - hopefully before people left for work and second post would come around lunchtime.

The Royal Mail have now combined these two deliveries into one and posties no longer start at the crack of dawn. So instead of getting our post at First post time, we get it at second post time or even later.

Down south, back in the good old days, my first post used to arrive at between 6am and 8am and second post arrived between 11am and 12:30pm. When the Royal Mail did away with first and second post, my single post delivery then used to arrive at between 1pm and 2pm - this I put down to the later start for the posties in addition to having to sort two lots of post in one go.

I could be wrong but don't city's still get two posts a day, it's us mugs that get a second class service and then the parcel arm charge us more for the same postie to deliver to us, It stinks !!. [disgust]

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-09, 13:49
I used to do relief for a postie whilst on SKYE. the mail arrived in the post office in Dunvegan at 11:00 we did the hand sort and off we went and were finished by 14-15:00. this was a part time thing using a wee van, but you Kevin must be talking about a city or a full time route. The route I did covered 11 mile or so, not so different to the rounds up here. were you on a bike or shank's pony ?.

It was a town with a population of about 18000 and I did my round on foot. I would guess it amounted to about 3 miles a day.

I enjoyed the job once I got out on my round and didn't mind the early start or the weather.:D

I had an operation on my left hand to repair a snapped tendon in my thumb and although it was succesfull I have poor dexterity in that hand,(not much cop for sorting mail at high speed).:(

telfordstar
20-Jul-09, 13:49
Not meaning to be cheeky in anyway here but does it really matter what time a day you get your post? So long as you get it!!!!:roll:

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-09, 13:54
Not meaning to be cheeky in anyway here but does it really matter what time a day you get your post? So long as you get it!!!!:roll:

It does if you run out of fags and are waiting for your giro to come.:lol:

kmahon2001
20-Jul-09, 15:10
I could be wrong but don't city's still get two posts a day, it's us mugs that get a second class service and then the parcel arm charge us more for the same postie to deliver to us, It stinks !!. [disgust]

I lived in a suburb of London and worked in Westminster - just up from Parliament, and our first and second posts were stopped a few years ago. Even businesses up in town only get their post once a day.

Before this new money saving idea from Royal Mail came in, the charity I worked for used to get two separate posts, one post first thing so that it was waiting for us as soon as we started work, and the second, smaller post around lunchtime, but that was stopped 3 or 4 years ago. This caused all sorts of problems because instead of getting your post first thing and being able to go through all the correspondence the same day, we started getting our post at lunchtime and had to go through half of it during the afternoon, with the remaining half waiting for the next morning. People always expect that you will get their letter the day after they post it, if they send it first class, and it was difficult explaining to some of them that we had probably got their letter but we hadn't got round to opening it yet. [disgust]

This lack of early post is nothing to do with rural areas, this is a Royal Mail nationwide thing to save costs - only delivering once a day obviously saves them time and money, and starting the posties later in the day rather than 3am or 4am also saves them money because they avoid having to pay extra wages for unsociable hours. I think the posties now start at around 7am, but don't quote me on that, and they start their rounds as soon as they've finished sorting.

telfordstar
20-Jul-09, 18:06
It does if you run out of fags and are waiting for your giro to come.:lol:

lol that made me laugh.:lol:

matelot79
20-Jul-09, 19:15
It does if you run out of fags and are waiting for your giro to come.

Many years ago I worked a postie up here and I used to deliver to a notorious part of town. I used to have great fun on a Wednesday morning and Friday afternoon (giro days) doing the round in different ways, as they would all be waiting for their post.

golach
20-Jul-09, 19:45
In the early days of Giro's, I was a walk postman in Leith, and every Friday morning on of my "Customers" would be waiting at the foot of his stair, looking for his Giro, to the best of my knowledge, he had never worked in his life, everything was smelling of roses, until one day the unheard of happened, the local dole office were late in posting the giro's the day before, so there was no giro to deliver, the gentleman was politely advised that, the giro's would be in the second post ( Oh yes there were two deliveries in those days), I continued up the tenement stairs to the top floor delivering the rest of the mail. on returning down to the ground floor, there was my customer looking harassed, his first utterance was, "Did you deliver my giro to the wrong door?", Again I politely informed the gentleman, that NO one had received their giro's that morning, but I would ensure he got his as soon as possible. To say I was a bit hurt at his suggestion that I could have mistakenly delivered his giro to another address hurt my professional pride as a postman, but I bit my tongue, and went into the street once more, the said gentleman, came running after me and said "Posty when do you g et paid?" Shocked I answered "at 6am on a Friday morning", he then went on to ask me for a loan of a fiver!!!!!!!!
After I had managed to calm myself sufficiently to answer, I again politely reminded the "Gentleman" that I started work every morning at 5:30am to deliver giro's to layabouts and the workshy, and no he could not and would not be getting a loan from me.The rest of my conversation is not for the ears of the Org, I was lucky he did not have any witnesses or I would have been relegated to working night shifts in the Parcel Office

Venture
21-Jul-09, 10:41
I have to say that the Royal Mail service I have had of late has been brilliant. First item ordered from County Durham at 4pm Thursday arrived at 9.30 the following morning and parcel ordered yesterday from Cambridge at 4.30 pm delivered at 9.45 this morning. Excellent service........ twice anyway.;)

ShelleyCowie
21-Jul-09, 11:33
Our post gets delivered at different times every day. Sometimes 10am sometimes 3pm!

Doesnt bother me though. Postie can take his time. Its just post! :cool: