PDA

View Full Version : Spelling and Grammar

Saveman
22-Mar-06, 23:06
do u get annoyed at reading a sentents like this?

Does bad spelling wynd you up big time?

Does bad grammer give you a headache much?

Or do you offened the english langage yersel?

Should we have to read sub-standard posts with bad syntax?

Nows your chance to have your say!

Naefearjustbeer
22-Mar-06, 23:09
I dont mind bad spelling or grammer as long as the post makes sense. My spelling and grammer can be at best pretty poor so I cannot condem anyone for it. However some posts dont make any sense and those are the ones that bug me. I wouldnt give somone a bad rep point for it though.

willowbankbear
22-Mar-06, 23:13
Yes & No.

It used to annoy me, now I try to take things into consideration,like maybe the person has Dyslexia or another reason. No point beating yourself up about poor grammar, Id be more inclined to be annoyed at the person complaining.

Billy Boy
do u get annoyed at reading a sentents like this?

Does bad spelling wynd you up big time?

Does bad grammer give you a headache much?

Or do you offened the english langage yersel?

Should we have to read sub-standard posts with bad syntax?

Nows your chance to have your say!

I really dont mind bad spelling, after all the person might just suffer from dyslexia

knightofeth
However some posts dont make any sense and those are the ones that bug me.

That was my point all along! Ok, admittedly I am also irritated by poor spelling and grammar but all I was ever asking for was easy to understand posts. Obviously mine weren't :D Anyway I'm off to bed :)

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:14
Thanks Saveman..

The above does not annoy me in the slightest. Children are dying all over the world from starvation and neglect..why would a simple typing error or poor grammer annoy or worry me..There is far more annoying and worrying things than this:eyes

obiron
22-Mar-06, 23:15
doesnt bother me as long as its easy to read. im with willowbankbear the people who complain about spelling and grammar are a bit annoying. some people have problems with spelling not everyone knows how to use their spell check. (me)

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:15
I don't have a problem with it at all and some posts have given me a real laugh over the years lol... it can also be very useful as I found out recently when someone's bad spelling habits allowed me to find out that they were not all they seemed at all!!!!

ice box
22-Mar-06, 23:17
Like i said full stop and commas and bad spelling doesn't bother me as long as it makes sense we all mis spell in every day life so why so should it bother us . and i did do spell check lol

Naefearjustbeer
22-Mar-06, 23:19
I have to have a wee laugh every now and then when some people complain about other peoples posts then make mistakes themselves. People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones and all that. Not meaning anyone that has posted in this thread so far by the way :o)

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:22
Hmmm! 10 replys and 13 votes....shame on you:eyes

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:22
I have to have a wee laugh every now and then when some people complain about other peoples posts then make mistakes themselves. People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones and all that. Not meaning anyone that has posted in this thread so far by the way :o)
I totally agree with that, it makes me laugh too when someone gets on their high horse and then messes up their own spelling... priceless :)

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:23
I totally agree with that, it makes me laugh too when someone gets on their high horse and then messes up their own spelling... priceless :)

Priceless indeed[lol]

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 23:24

Seeing as I appear to be the only one on my side just now, I guess I will defend it. The point is not that people cannot make mistakes! It is that it would be nice for people to try and make their posts a bit more readable. Also Angela did I ever say the spelling on a message board was more important than starving children?

pultneytooner
22-Mar-06, 23:24
It doesn't bother me if most people can spell or not because it doesn't mean that they are unintelligent but, saying that, I think that it is reasonable to expect someone like a doctor or suchlike to be able to spell and have good grammar as one misinterpreted sentence could cost a life.
I seem to remember reading about a russian being pardoned because a comma was in the wrong place.
Pardon impossible, to be sent to the salt mines.
Pardon, impossible to be sent to the salt mines.

I think that's the one.

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:26
Also Angela did I ever say the spelling on a message board was more important than starving children?

No you never but i did..

krieve
22-Mar-06, 23:26
I don't care about bad spelling and grammar one little bit and would never judge someone for it because i am one of the grammar offenders. what is my sentence in org jail. lol

willowbankbear
22-Mar-06, 23:30
No you never but i did..

Nice 1 Angela5, Krieve my clique solicitor will get ye oot .org nick in a second[lol]

Kenn
22-Mar-06, 23:30
I am in favour of both correct spelling and punctuation although appreciate that there are those who for one reason or another do struggle to express themselves with the writen word.
My main concern is that if a person cannot be precise then what is writen may be open to misinterpretation. A spelling mistake can alter the whole context of a sentence as can misplaced or erroneous punctuation.
I am not advocating that we should learn the dictionary from cover to cover merely that we are accurate in what we write and that we express ourselves in a clear but simple way.
The only dispensation I would make is in the case of dialect which is a lanuguage all of its own and should never pretend to be otherwise.

krieve
22-Mar-06, 23:32
Thanks Willowbankbear lol.

erli
22-Mar-06, 23:33

That's probably me.[lol]

brandy
22-Mar-06, 23:46
im not bothered by spelling and grammer usually..
just when it is totally butchered.
and "text speak" is used..
argghhh that drives me nutty..
when plain english is used.. its fine..
i mean everyone makes mistakes but when you
willfully the language, its just insane.
*grins* i hate the way kids talk today.. and im only 29!

ice box
22-Mar-06, 23:52
i but you only look 19 lol

unicorn
23-Mar-06, 00:01
what is the ise word? Is it brutalise?? Please tell me or I will be kept awake wondering lol!!

brandy
23-Mar-06, 00:03
v 1: change something so that its value declines; for example, art forms 2: declare a child to be illegitimate

brandy
23-Mar-06, 00:05
argghh thats not a bad word! *laughs* well i dont think it is not in that context!

unicorn
23-Mar-06, 00:10
ohhhhhhh :eek: I think it might be hit that edit button girl and fast

angela5
23-Mar-06, 00:18
That was my point all along! Ok, admittedly I am also irritated by poor spelling and grammar but all I was ever asking for was easy to understand posts. Obviously mine weren't :D Anyway I'm off to bed :)

I might not agree with you Knightofeth but at least you are saying it annoys you..a couple have voted on the poll who feel the same way as you but stayed anonymous[smirk]

brandy
23-Mar-06, 00:26
okies have edited it *grr* but still dont think its a bad word.. not in that context
can we have a list of suitable words?

wickerinca
23-Mar-06, 03:02
Of course it is not a bad word!!!

I can't believe that Brandy got suspended for that. This forum is getting ridiculous......are there any adults about?

I'm signing out too....can't be bothered with the hypocrisy and intolerant pettiness

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Mar-06, 05:52
It all depends who your audience or readership is. Language is changing so much these days: text, advertising, etc., so I would take peoples' bad grammar and spelling (here, at Caithness.org anyway) with a pinch of salt. And so long as the type of language doesn't inspire mis-education that's fine with me. Improper use of apostrophes however, by the way, get on my nibbly bits. So there.

lassieinfife
23-Mar-06, 07:39
Research shows that so long as the first and last letter of any word are in the right place it doesn't matter in which order the rest of the letters are, so no bad spelling and grammar don't bother me for day to day life, but official mail is a totally different thing

crashbandicoot1979
23-Mar-06, 10:48
Bad spelling and punctuation don't bother me as long as the post is still readable although I like to think that most people make an effort to make their posts readable. I like it when people type in Caithness dialect, it cracks me up! [lol] [lol] I DESPISE text speak. I think its pure laziness and theres no excuse for it unless its on a text message.

_Ju_
23-Mar-06, 13:04
:lol: to tell you the truth its all the budding james joices out there make reading a bit difficult and i usually give up on the posts that avoid punctuation from begining to end they are just to much work to figure out for usually very little return

WeeBurd
23-Mar-06, 13:42
Nobody's English is perfect, least of all mine and I appreciate that many people may have good reason for poor spelling/grammar in their posts. However as an Orger, and someone who uses written communications (electronic & paper) at work every day, I find a blatant disregard for the use of correct spelling/grammar extremely frustrating. It leaves communications wide open to misinterpretation, which can result in unnecessary offence or conflict - more often that not, verbal communication is the more effective choice (not saying written has no place, though ;)).

That said I have never, and would never bad rep someone for the quality of their written English. However, I get bored reading such posts, too much time and effort is required to interpret their message in the context of the thread.

There we go - I'm outed :lol:

I've not been on-line for a couple of days - just wondering if the discussion has stemed from a particular incident? Och well, I'll go and have a nosey!!

candyfloss
23-Mar-06, 14:15
I voted,
bad spelling and grammer does'nt bother me,maybe i do it myself sometimes
:o I think as long as you can read and understand it,
it does'nt matter too much

teuchter
23-Mar-06, 17:49
Well ive put my tick in the box and im sticking up not only for dyslexics but also dafties like me and fumble fingers. Im still not sure if the water of life makes my grammer better or worse yet. Will experiment at the weekend.

phoenix
23-Mar-06, 18:25
Bad Spelling and Grammar don't bother me either .........I do find it extremely off-putting though when other members pull you up for ie not putting in apostrophes. Its a long time since some of us have been at school and not all of us are/were whiz kids at school or on the keyboard, and it takes less time as well when writing a post not to bother to search the keyboard for an apostrophe .......I know where it is now though since another member had a go at me for not using them .......in saying that I may have learned where the apostrophe is but I don't take too kindly to having fear instilled in me by a bully! :evil:evil:evil Dont like bullies! :evil

bingo1
23-Mar-06, 18:26
Yes & No.

It used to annoy me, now I try to take things into consideration,like maybe the person has Dyslexia or another reason. No point beating yourself up about poor grammar, Id be more inclined to be annoyed at the person complaining. Yes i agree. Some people try really hard but just cant get it correct for reasons such as dyslexia. People who get annoyed should remember this.

Julia
23-Mar-06, 18:41
Bad spelling and grammar is very annoying! People should try harder!

Poor spelling and grammar bugs me, I'm a perfectionist and I freely admit it! Obviously it cannot be helped if someone is unfortunately dyslexic but my feelings are that folk don't care enough these days to even try, it's like loads of other standards that have fallen by the wayside!

On the other hand I txt a lot and don't mind using abbreviations for that purpose but I've noticed it creeping into my written work too! 21st century shorthand, where will it end, will it b a comon way of life to rite that way in a few yrs time!

Rheghead
23-Mar-06, 20:06
Befoor the dayes of Doktor Johnson and his dictionary, werds were largeley spelled poorely on a phonetic baysis.

Dr Johnson changed all that and created spelling and standardised the English language.

DW
23-Mar-06, 20:34
I'm curious ......

If I were to put the capital letters of French Connection U K in a post,would I get banned, or would it be put down to dyslexia, or bad spelling, or advertising??????? [lol]

MadPict
23-Mar-06, 20:44
On the other hand I txt a lot and don't mind using abbreviations for that purpose but I've noticed it creeping into my written work too! 21st century shorthand, where will it end, will it b a comon way of life to rite that way in a few yrs time!

Shorthand?

txt = text - one letter less

b = be - one letter less

rite = write - one letter less

yrs = years - accepted abbreviation (or abbrev.)

[lol]

Julia
23-Mar-06, 21:10
Shorthand?

txt = text - one letter less

b = be - one letter less

rite = write - one letter less

yrs = years - accepted abbreviation (or abbrev.)

[lol]

I'm not disappointed, I was wondering who would pick on my post first LOL

Ok ok, so shorthand may be stretching the definition but when I am at a meeting and trying to keep up it works for me!

MadPict
23-Mar-06, 21:14
Reminds me of the lad who said "my names Hugh but you can call me Angus for short..."

landmarker
23-Mar-06, 21:57
no opshun for my risponce....
....It's a little annoying, but only when combined with ignorance or
a clear lack of the ability to read things through properly. Otherwise bad spelling or gramar can be overlooked as an irrelevance.

However, if I am taken to task by someone who cannot express themselves well or properly it has less of an effect. I take them less seriously, I'm sorry if that's a failing. Dyslexia is different though.

Anyone clearly dyslexic who still has the guts to come on a public forum has my support, and my admiration.

cuddlepop
23-Mar-06, 22:58
When your not use to typing, spelling and grammer in my case goes out the window.I am trying to slow down and type faster if you know what i mean.
Generally as long as i can understand the post i dinna mind a hoot :p

_Ju_
25-Mar-06, 19:50
............... express themselves with the writen word.
................what is writen may be open to misinterpretation. A spelling mistake can alter the whole context of a sentence as can misplaced or erroneous punctuation.

Just to be a pain: written:evil

pulteney person
25-Mar-06, 20:08
Everyone makes spelling and grammar mistakes. I do sometimes have to read a post a couple of times to fully understand what is meant especially if a comma or full stop is missing. I'm not too good at putting a comma in the correct place myself but, my posts generally make sense! :)

Most posts on here aren't too bad, are they? [para]

Shadow
25-Mar-06, 20:49
It annoys me when posts make no sense at all because of the bad spelling and grammar. Text speak annoys me more though, because you can't make out what it says if there are no vowels in the words!!!
I don't understand why people can just type in English!!

You might not agree with me, that's just my opinion...

MadPict
26-Mar-06, 23:55
I may hang around here a lot but I'm NOT a pendant.........:p

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Mar-06, 23:58
Well MadPict ye can be an indi-PENDANT then!!!!:lol: :lol: