PDA

View Full Version : Race for Life

evelyn
22-Mar-06, 22:07
The staff at the Accident and Emergency and Outpatient departments in the Caithness General hospital are taking part in this years Race for Life.
It is a charity three mile run for cancer research. It takes place on May the 7th in Inverness. We are all training very hard as many of us have rarely broke walking pace before now!!
We hope to raise money for this very worthwhile charity as most of us know someone who has been affected by this disease.

We have a number of fund raising events in the pipeline.
Prize Bingo at the Francis St Club on 4th April at 8pm, all prizes generously donated by local proprietors.
Baking and Bottle stall in the hospital canteen on 21st April at 10am
Easter Raffle being drawn on Easter weekend. Tickets are available from the hospital reception...loads of great prizes.

Ways you can help

Sponsor us via www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/sheenamacleod
Sponsor us via sponsor forms located at the hospital reception
Fill our tins during the three legged pub crawl on April 22!!
Come along or donate to our fund raising events. All donations gratefully received...just hand in to the reception in Accident and Emergency or Outpatients.
Many thanks for joining us in funding research into cancer.

All of us in A&E and OPD x

Ann
22-Mar-06, 23:21
Wow Evelyn, you and your colleagues are going to be busy, good for you! As you say, everyone knows someone affected by this disease.
I'm taking part in the Race for Life as well, so see you there!
cheers,
Ann

krieve
22-Mar-06, 23:29
Good for you Evelyn all the best and you as well Ann.

evelyn
22-Mar-06, 23:32
Thanks Ann and Krieve
The fundraising is the easy bit!!! Its the running that I'm not so sure about!!
I'm gently building on my cardiovascular exercise though. Hope to start running in earnest soon!!
evelyn

Ann
22-Mar-06, 23:44
I'll be walking!

evelyn
22-Mar-06, 23:46
So might I if I dinna get ma trainers oot soon!!!
evelyn

ice box
23-Mar-06, 00:53
So might I if I dinna get ma trainers oot soon!!!
evelyn
don't worry its the taking part and raising the money that count good luck girls

angela5
23-Mar-06, 00:56
Good luck to all the staff from the Accident and Emergency and Outpatient Department..:grin:

Lucy
23-Mar-06, 09:21
Good luck everyone. :Razz Hope you raise a lot of money for an excellent charity.

evelyn
23-Mar-06, 23:30
Thanks for all the support folks. New trainers arrived today so no better bet than to get started.
Give us a wave if you see any of us oot and aboot training.....better still chuck us a pound or two!!
Cheers
evelyn

teritoots
24-Mar-06, 20:03
Good luck girls! Amy I hope to see you at the front speeding along hahahaha :) :)
Well done for raising money for such a great cause!!

evelyn
24-Mar-06, 20:12
Yes indeed teritoots...she will indeed be at the front whilst the rest of us straggle on at the rear.....her training schedule is putting the rest of us to shame!
evelyn

katarina
24-Mar-06, 21:59
My girls are doing it too.

ice box
24-Mar-06, 22:14
My girls are doing it too.
Good luck to them too .

evelyn
24-Mar-06, 22:47
Good luck to your girls Katarina...hows the training and the fundraising going?evelyn

DIH
28-Mar-06, 09:47
We're still trying to obtain more prizes for our bingo and bottle stall.
If anyone would like to donate a prize please see contact details above. We've gotten some lovely prizes so far and it should be a good bingo night. Many thanks to everyone who has helped.

evelyn
02-Apr-06, 23:26
We are absolutely overwhelmed by the support we have had for our charity run.
Individual sponsors, family, friends, colleagues and local businesses have been so generous that we have surpassed our original target and are well on the way to doing the same with our adjusted target.
Thanks to everyone who has been helping us to meet our goal either through sponsorship or donations.
You have been fantastic.
Lets make a difference and help more folk survive cancer.
evelyn

PS come along and join in the fun at our prize Bingo on Tuesday 8pm in the Francis Street club.

evelyn
04-Apr-06, 23:20
What a night.....we raised over £1500 tonight at our bingo and bottle stall in the Francis Street Club.
Thank you so much to the Club staff who were so helpful, the businesses and individuals who donated so generously....quite beyond our expectations...and to everyone who came along to join in the fun and support our fund raising.
A great night was had by all. We've loads of items left over and hope to have another event soon. We'll keep you posted.
evelyn

cheekychops
05-Apr-06, 00:11
Ev,
Hi there, the total amount raised this evening at the Prize bingo was a staggering £1581. Well done everyone!
I didn't get a chance to thank everyone who attended this evening, so thankyou all......... after all, someone you know will benefit in some way from what has been achived tonight.

There is another Prize bingo event organised for the 23rd April in the Francis St Club at 2pm, due to the vast amount of prizes donated by the generous folk in Caithness. We just had too many prizes to give away tonight.

In total the amount our team has raised stands currently at £2256 lets make it much, much more............... sponsor us online @ https://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/sheenamacleod

cheekychops
05-Apr-06, 18:26
Hi all,
We've had an idea for a slave auction in order to raise more funds towards Cancer Research UK. What are your ideas on this? Anyone interested in taking part?

evelyn
05-Apr-06, 21:55
Come on girls...we have some very good lookin intelligent fit blokes who have pledged themselves to be auctioned off. Does that spur you on to be a bit more interested? Ideas and views please........keep it clean!
evelyn

Fran
05-Apr-06, 23:13
what a great idea, that should raise a lot of money. I'll put in a bid for that lovely doctor in the Rosebank wing to be my slave!!!!!:Razz

cheekychops
20-Apr-06, 23:39
Hiya folks,
Just to let you all know how we are getting on with our fundraising.

So far we have raised a colossal £3,084.62!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all of you that have contibuted, and for those of you who haven't and would like to just follow the link below to donate online.

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/sheenamacleod

If you would prefer to give cash, you can drop in into the A&E or Outpatient department and speak to one of the staff who will get you to complete a sponsor form. Or if you know one of the staff, you can just give to them.
We ask for folks' address as Cancer Research can claim back tax gift aid at no extra charge to yourself, so it makes your money go that little bit extra.........

Come along to the hospital tomorrow Friday 21st to the canteen where we will be holding a bottle and baking stall.

And look out for us on saturday night as we do a three legged pub crawl around wick, with our collection buckets.

Will of course post an update soon after to let you know how much we raised.

Cheers x

cuddlepop
21-Apr-06, 15:01
Well done to you all.Thinking of you on the 8th,good luck with your efforts:)

cheekychops
21-Apr-06, 17:59
The bottle and baking stall today in the hospital raised £573.05!!!!

Check out our total so far........................... £3,554.32 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW- THAT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

We are only £11 away from making it into the top 5 fundraisers. So come on and lets get the generosity of folk in Caithness well known to the nation. If you haven't made a contibution yet and would like to add to this fantastic total, just follow the link below.

cheekychops
21-Apr-06, 18:02
Well done to you all.Thinking of you on the 8th,good luck with your efforts:)

Hi Cuddlepop, thanks for you comment.
We are running the race for life on the 7th of May, are you referring to the efforts we will make on that day or the celebration hangover on the 8th???????
it's gonna be a big one! Look out Inverness...................

evelyn
21-Apr-06, 18:26
Mind Cheekychops, not all of us are gonna be hingin over....some poor souls hev to pour their achin bodies into the car efter e race and head home for Wick....sniff
evelyn

cheekychops
22-Apr-06, 00:31
Ev,
I'll have your share of port then, or probably substitute it for something else!
(you could always sneak into our room and stay!)

cheekychops
22-Apr-06, 00:34
Hiya all,
I have just checked our online total. This is so frustrating. We are only £1 away from being in the top 5 fundraisers. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

evelyn
22-Apr-06, 11:12
Cheekychops we are soooooo goin to do it tonight....... me and Fiona will manage to join ye all for a whilie in between shifts. GO FOR IT!
evelyn

evelyn
22-Apr-06, 12:21
Check out our total.......we've now raised more than the fifth highest fundraiser in the country.....just waiting for confirmation of this on the race for life web page...FANTASTIC.....great work by everyone who has made this happen.
evelyn

cheekychops
23-Apr-06, 19:32
Our current fundraising total amounts to £5,307.32.
£3,579.32 online donations
£1,728.00 raised offline.

Bag packing raised £590 yesterday in the Coop, £510 three legged pub crawl roond Wick last night. £183 from the One Stop Shop, Wick. £395 from prize bingo today.

This is amazing and doesn't include any of the money from our own sponsor forms.

Keep your donations flooding in!!!!!!!!

evelyn
23-Apr-06, 21:09
Och cheekychops.....eh hangover, exhaustion and missing voice was soooo worth it!!!!
evelyn

cheekychops
24-Apr-06, 22:43
Keep up the good work folks, we're probably going to be 2nd highest fundraiser in the country by tomorrow. Now that's good going!

£5,399.11 WOW!!!!!!! that's fantastic, and there's more to come yet.............

cheekychops
25-Apr-06, 07:24
hiya all,
just wanted to let you know that it has been confirmed that we are now 2nd highest fundraiser in the country. You can click the link below to see for yourself. (under the name of sheena macleod) We are so proud of ourselves!!!!

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/

LRM
26-Apr-06, 14:58
I will send a donation if Aba lets us see what is under his kilt. A hairy bum I presume!!!!

LRM
26-Apr-06, 14:59
on second thoughts maybe not!!!

cheekychops
30-Apr-06, 08:10
LRM
I would hazzard a guess that what's under his kilt is the same as wot u were holding in the photo at abha's party!!!!!!!! hehehe

star glazer
30-Apr-06, 10:44
Good for you Evelyn, we will be out to support you as well as Ann and all others taking part.

DIH
05-May-06, 21:17
The race for life is this Sunday. The total we have now raised stands at over £7000 which is brill. Thanks to everyone that has donated and for all of you who still haven't there is still time to dig deep in your pockets for such a worthwhile cause. Good luck to the girls for Sunday. See you all when you get home. Enjoy the champagne!!!!

angela5
05-May-06, 21:29
Good Luck on Sunday Girls:D

evelyn
05-May-06, 22:28
Thanks so much DIH and Angela. I'm sooooo excited and I'm prayin that the adrenaline will take over and carry me through the 5K......I haven't quite managed to run the full dunt yet!!!!
Watch out for us in the P and J tomorrow.
evelyn

evelyn
05-May-06, 22:32
A big pat on the back to eveyone in Caithness taking part in the Inverness event. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
May the sun shine and the wind stay doon!
evelyn

Moira
05-May-06, 23:02
A big pat on the back to eveyone in Caithness taking part in the Inverness event. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
evelyn

Maybe a wee bit of wind on your backs to help you along! The best of luck to all taking part - I'm sure you'll all manage fine - have a great day :)

Venture
05-May-06, 23:18
Best of Luck for Sunday Evelyn - we all know you will give it your all and do a great job....just like you all do every day at work. "COME ON THE ANGELS"

Fran
06-May-06, 01:32
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_118.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_54.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000) I will be thinking about you all, and wishing you luck.

evelyn
06-May-06, 12:08
Thanks so much for your support Fran, Venture and Moira. It is fantastic that we have folk in the community like yourselves who are very much behind us.
We really could not have done this without the fantastic support that comes from the lovely people o Caithness.......o and the hebrides Cheekychops!
evelyn

cheekychops
06-May-06, 12:12
I cannot believe it, our total continues to grow rapidly and currently stands £8,059.36.
We are aiming for the £10,000 mark now.
Check out our fundraising page by following this link:

Many thanks again for your support and wish us luck for the race tomorrow!

cheekychops
06-May-06, 12:13
ev,
that folk in Harris aint so bad after all!

Ann
06-May-06, 12:34
evelyn

Thanks Evelyn; congratulations on your supreme effort in fundraising; see you on the track!

Cheer,
Ann :Razz

evelyn
06-May-06, 12:47
Thanks Ann....hows your own fundraising goin?
Hope you've worn in those runnin shoes.
evelyn

DIH
06-May-06, 15:09
Wow just checked the total and we have reached the £9000 mark. This is just brill. Keep on going folks we're trying for £10,000.

Ann
06-May-06, 15:29
Thanks Ann....hows your own fundraising goin?
Hope you've worn in those runnin shoes.
evelyn

I'm over £100 now, hoping for more yet though.

My trainers are well broken in but will be walking only so you won't find me speeding past you on the route!

Mind you......

Ann xx

evelyn
06-May-06, 15:55
Well done Ann.
See ye tomorrow.
evelyn

cheekychops
06-May-06, 21:08
Total now is £9,619.92 please, please, please lets crack the ten thousand mark.
This is amazing, it really is. Excellent effort on everyones part. COME ON!!!!!

There was a plug on Caithness fm tonight and we have been invited to the studio for an interview after the race. The presenter sounded really emotional. Its so amazing to see (and hear) that folk are touched by what we are doing.

Looks like we are gonna be the highest fundraisers in the country by tomorrow-only thing is, can we stay there? The website doesn't close until the 28th May so there's plenty time yet for more donations.

evelyn
06-May-06, 21:13
Cheekychops its kinda unbelievable......I dinna think any of us had a clue as to how this was goin to take off..... absolutely fantastic.
Are CFM goin to be at the race or are they gonna interview us once we get back to bonny Caithness?
evelyn

krieve
06-May-06, 21:15
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_9_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_22.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) All the best for tomorrow!!!!!

evelyn
06-May-06, 21:17
Thanks Krieve, we really do appreciate your support.
evelyn

cheekychops
06-May-06, 21:20
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_9_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_22.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) All the best for tomorrow!!!!!
Thanks Krieve, we (or should I say some of us, namely me!) will need it.

cheekychops
06-May-06, 21:21
They want us all to go to the studio and do it there. I think Moray firth might b a bit annoyed if Caithness fm took over their patch!

connieb19
06-May-06, 21:44
Good Luck tomorrow, I hope the weather stays good for you..:)

evelyn
06-May-06, 22:25
Come on folks we are just £31 from £10,000. Dig deep into yer switch cards and let us crack it before midnight.....
evelyn

DIH
06-May-06, 22:47
Well Ev thats us over the £10,000 mark now. Can we hit £11,000?

evelyn
06-May-06, 22:53
Donella I am gonna kiss you for that....xxx... and you better give Roy an extra big slobber from me tonight. God knows where we are gonna finish now.
Caithness has done us proud tonight. I am quite overwhelmed....ye ken what I'm like!!!
ev

angela5
06-May-06, 23:00
Well Ev thats us over the £10,000 mark now. Can we hit £11,000?

Fantastic, it was only a short while ago you were hoping to get to £10.000...well done and all the best for tomorrow everyone..:D

cheekychops
06-May-06, 23:14
To all of ye who have wished us well for the race tomorrow, many thanks. I too am here really excited about this all. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, meant to go to bed a couple of hours ago, but can't stop checking our total.

Currently standing at £10,050.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just think we had £7,016.36 this morning...that's an amazing £3033.64 just today alone!
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou
Sheena x

DIH
07-May-06, 01:04
Ev, Sheena & co good luck for the run I know you'll all make it to the finishing line and do us proud. Mysel and Al will be with you in spirit today. We'll probably be running round the department ourselves!! Have a lovely time in Inverness and we'll see you all when you get home. Donella xx

cheekychops
07-May-06, 07:57
Donella and Alison, thanks very much.
Not too bad a day here eh?
Hope it's nice in Inverness. The total is fantastic aint it?

See you all on Monday, some of us with sore heids!!!!!!!! and not forgetting the sore muscles!

WOOO HOOO, It's soooooo exciting! Hardly slept last night! I'm lek a big bairn.

Later, Sheena xx

Alice in Blunderland
07-May-06, 09:55
Good luck for this morning girls and celebrate long and hard those of you who are staying to party in Inverness.To the poor souls who are coming home to work at least you wont have a hangover in the morning if thats any help:roll:

DIH
07-May-06, 15:35
Congratulations to all the girls. They have all finished the run in a really good time and survived. Thats them on the champagne now lucky things. Remember folks you can still sponsor us up until the 28th. Big thanks to you all.

Moira
07-May-06, 17:29
Congratulations to all the girls. They have all finished the run in a really good time and survived. Thats them on the champagne now lucky things. Remember folks you can still sponsor us up until the 28th. Big thanks to you all.

Well done, our very own Caithness Angels! We knew you would do it - enjoy your champagne.

I heard from Ann - she finished the race too - so big congratulations to her as well.

Looks like being sore muscles (and maybe a few sore heads) tomorrow, but I'm sure all the walkers/runners will agree it was worth it :D

evelyn
07-May-06, 20:47
We had a fantastic day...home now and every muscle has seized up after the car journey home. We would recommend the run to everyone, it was so worthwhile. The camaraderie amongs the women of all ages, size and fitness was quite overwhelming.
Go for it next year girls.....you can amaze yourselves....we did!
evelyn and hannah

katarina
07-May-06, 21:38
My girls ran it too. The atmosphere was great, brought a lump to my throat. Women of all ages from Children to grannies - fantastic.
What got me tho, was when the comentator said that in the past a third of the runners did not send in their sponsor money. How bad is that?

Ann
07-May-06, 22:12
Well done, our very own Caithness Angels! We knew you would do it - enjoy your champagne.

I heard from Ann - she finished the race too - so big congratulations to her as well.

Looks like being sore muscles (and maybe a few sore heads) tomorrow, but I'm sure all the walkers/runners will agree it was worth it :D

Thanks Moira, I had a great time and enjoyed it very much indeed. I did it in 57min 36sec., which I am very proud of as it was a great personal achievement for me. The atmosphere was really great and the weather perfect; not too hot, not too cold.

And a big thank you to my daughter Fiona who kept me supplied with water and encouragement along the route; made a big difference.

Came home from Inverness and took my dog for a walk on the beach at Thurso; beautiful, beatiful night and I shall certainly sleep sound tonight!

A big congrats to the others from Caithness; great effort by all!

Cheers,

evelyn
07-May-06, 23:28
Well done Ann.....Don't know about you but I'm dreading gettin oot o the bed tomorrow morning.....I anticipate much pain...mibbe I'll put a couple o paracetamol at the bedside !!
evelyn

krieve
07-May-06, 23:41
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_118.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) Well done all !

Fran
08-May-06, 01:23
Well done to you all http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_116.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_54.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

kas
08-May-06, 11:39
Congratulations.

I see your fantastic effort is mentioned on the BBCs News website.

Out of the 2500 than took part, you's managed to raise a fourteenth of all the money raised. Well done.

What an excellent achievement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/4983962.stm

Ann
08-May-06, 12:02
Well done Ann.....Don't know about you but I'm dreading gettin oot o the bed tomorrow morning.....I anticipate much pain...mibbe I'll put a couple o paracetamol at the bedside !!
evelyn

Evelyn, I'm lucky! I'm on painkillers anyway and am attending an osteopath so I was able to take my dog for a walk when I got home last night and today I'm pretty good. I do feel as if I have gone a round with Mike Tyson but I won!

Cheers,

Whitewater
08-May-06, 23:11
I have been reading the org headlines, what an achievement, Caithness should be proud of you all.

Well done, the amount you all raised was tremendous.

evelyn
09-May-06, 16:33
Thanks for your kind words Kas, fran, krieve and whitewater.
We have astounded ourselves with the way this just avalanched from a wee fundraiser with a bit of exercise thrown in to such a mammoth achievement.
We couldn't have done it without you lot out there supporting us along the way.
evelyn

cheekychops
10-May-06, 19:45
To date we have raised £13,719.00
This includes £10,976.00 online and £2,743.00 offline.

Absolutely amazing and it continues to grow. This reflects just how much the community has been supporting our efforts. You should all be extremely proud of yourselves!

THANKYOU! again................

teritoots
10-May-06, 23:12
MASSIVE WELL DONE GIRLS! You've all put so much hard work into raising so much money and a huge effort into getting ready to run and topping it off by doing in great times and raising an outstanding amount of money! I hope you all are extremely proud of what you've achieved as it is quite amazing! What you've done can hopefully go on and save many lives :D

You all defo deserved that champers!:D

Ann
10-May-06, 23:41
Wonderful stuff ladies.....just like a snowball gathering pace and size!

A great example of the kindness of man; much needed when there is so much hate in the world. Well done Wick et al.....