PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jul-09, 14:18
The Homecoming Gathering is next week. Seems like an over-expensive, embarrassing, shortbread-tinned, See-you-Jimmy-hat-wearing, jingoistic waste of time to me. Weird thing is why isn't Jamaica - or any other Caribbean country for that matter - invited? Nowt to do with slavery surely?

Amy-Winehouse
18-Jul-09, 16:28
Were the English?

Murdina Bug
18-Jul-09, 17:22
Ok, I'll rise to the bait as that is obviously what your post is Pepsi. I'm going to the Gathering in Edinburgh (one of the reasons is to see one of my favourite authors) next weekend which is what I assume you are talking about? I can't understand your animosity towards this or your rather strange comment regarding slavery. I don't think any particular 'country' has been invited or not, the events include games and an international gathering of the clans with a procession, which I am sure will be spectacular. Perhaps others would like to take a look at the website and post an opinion please?

http://clangathering.org/

shazzap
18-Jul-09, 17:51
I really do not understand how an event such as this can be anything to do with slavery.

Am i being nieve or missing the point or just stupid, can someone please enlighten me????????????:confused

pat
18-Jul-09, 18:01
Find it extremely strange they are plugging this homecoming, one of the main plugs is

Rabbie Burns - what are they doing at his place in Ayrshire - CLOSED!

Other one they are pushing is the portraits and ancestors - guess what - the Scottish Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh - CLOSED!

Has any forethought gone into the homecoming idea or was it just all jumping on the bandwagon?
I believe it is one of those things thought up on the spur of the moment with no thought or co-ordination given to the idea, just push the idea enough and folk will do as they are told, anything to encourage the tourists.

tonkatojo
18-Jul-09, 18:29
Find it extremely strange they are plugging this homecoming, one of the main plugs is

Rabbie Burns - what are they doing at his place in Ayrshire - CLOSED!

Other one they are pushing is the portraits and ancestors - guess what - the Scottish Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh - CLOSED!

Has any forethought gone into the homecoming idea or was it just all jumping on the bandwagon?
I believe it is one of those things thought up on the spur of the moment with no thought or co-ordination given to the idea, just push the idea enough and folk will do as they are told, anything to encourage the tourists.

IT will be lead by salmond romin in his gloamin along wih his munchkin sidekick no doubt along with connery the sir shushhhhin his words no doubt.

golach
18-Jul-09, 20:30
Ok, I'll rise to the bait as that is obviously what your post is Pepsi.
I can't understand your animosity towards this or your rather strange comment regarding slavery. I don't think any particular 'country' has been invited or not, the events include games and an international gathering of the clans with a procession, which I am sure will be spectacular. Perhaps others would like to take a look at the website and post an opinion please?

Maybe Pepsi diddna get a free press pass to this event as he did at Balado [lol]

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jul-09, 20:49
Maybe Pepsi diddna get a free press pass to this event as he did at Balado [lol]

If thats the case I have something which may help him.

http://www.gettingdownunder.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/baby-dummy.thumbnail.jpg

catran
18-Jul-09, 21:14
IT will be lead by salmond romin in his gloamin along wih his munchkin sidekick no doubt along with connery the sir shushhhhin his words no doubt.
likely, that is what it is all about and the sir, whom I have had privelege of meeting at a function, along with Timothy Dalton ( who was so lovely|) well we say no more.............What fun some people have. Alex Salmond, well he the best actor of the lot isn't he?Have not had that privelege as of yet but well, The House of commons is a nice meeting place so roll on September.

kmahon2001
18-Jul-09, 22:40

As I understand it, Sean Connery is a staunch Scottish Nationalist. How is it then that he accepted a Sir-ship, seeing as such awards are made by the Westminster Government (even though they are presented by the Queen) and are therefore UK titles, not Scottish titles? :confused Why would you accept a title from a Government you don't want anything to do with?

catran
18-Jul-09, 22:55
As I understand it, Sean Connery is a staunch Scottish Nationalist. How is it then that he accepted a Sir-ship, seeing as such awards are made by the Westminster Government (even though they are presented by the Queen) and are therefore UK titles, not Scottish titles? :confused Why would you accept a title from a Government you don't want anything to do with?
exactly, but isnt he bit uppity to say the least, kilt or no kilt? forgot his humble beginnings eh????

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Jul-09, 00:56
Ok, I'll rise to the bait as that is obviously what your post is Pepsi. I'm going to the Gathering in Edinburgh (one of the reasons is to see one of my favourite authors) next weekend which is what I assume you are talking about? I can't understand your animosity towards this or your rather strange comment regarding slavery. I don't think any particular 'country' has been invited or not, the events include games and an international gathering of the clans with a procession, which I am sure will be spectacular. Perhaps others would like to take a look at the website and post an opinion please?

Salmond's dropped the ball here: by not coming out and saying Scotland partook in the slave trade through the express invitation of Caribbean-born Scots-descendants, he's clearly endorsed - sorry, promoted - slavery in the new age!

Homecoming Scotland was the idea of the last executive. To then claim the SNP want to get the tartan out every time, and suggest they're more than happy to promote the idea, as well, is stupid. I think it's to be expected that they will put more emphasis on the event when the actual year of homecoming falls during the SNP's time in government.

The whole thing is a Labour/Liberal idea; the SNP is quite rightly picking it up as they had to, and promoting it as the event draws near. I find it very funny that the whole thing, along with the FM, are being torn to shreds based on the fact the FM didn't stand up and say 'Come to Scotland. Celebrate our heritage, the friendly people, the scenery. And, uh, just as a side note, we were heavily involved in slavery.'

tonkatojo
19-Jul-09, 09:27

Possibly it looks good on his cv or it impresses his clique in Los Angeles or where ever he lives (we know it aint Scotland) or It keeps him in the Scottish or UK papers lets face it the gadge must be 80 or more he's got to feed his ego somehow.

scotsboy
19-Jul-09, 11:06
Salmond's dropped the ball here: by not coming out and saying Scotland partook in the slave trade through the express invitation of Caribbean-born Scots-descendants, he's clearly endorsed - sorry, promoted - slavery in the new age!

Homecoming Scotland was the idea of the last executive. To then claim the SNP want to get the tartan out every time, and suggest they're more than happy to promote the idea, as well, is stupid. I think it's to be expected that they will put more emphasis on the event when the actual year of homecoming falls during the SNP's time in government.

The whole thing is a Labour/Liberal idea; the SNP is quite rightly picking it up as they had to, and promoting it as the event draws near. I find it very funny that the whole thing, along with the FM, are being torn to shreds based on the fact the FM didn't stand up and say 'Come to Scotland. Celebrate our heritage, the friendly people, the scenery. And, uh, just as a side note, we were heavily involved in slavery.'

As far as I am aware the Scottish "government" are not planning anything to mark the 450th anniversary of the Reformation, I mean that only paved way for The Scottish Enlightenment and Scotland playing a leading role in the developing World..........but then it ties in with Scotands erstwhile allegiance with France and its move to the Act of Union, so we culdn't have that could we.

kitty kat
19-Jul-09, 23:15
If thats the case I have something which may help him.

http://www.gettingdownunder.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/baby-dummy.thumbnail.jpg

u really are on top form alice [lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
19-Jul-09, 23:21
A Scottish Homecoming.Ah I can hear the pipes now,I can hear William Wallace with a fake Australian accent shouting out now,"They may take our lives but they'll never take oor haggis!!!!!".Never left home,always Scotland bound.What a waste of money.