PDA

View Full Version : book club anyone?

the original ducky
22-Mar-06, 21:33
hello i was just wondering that does anyone read? i read alot especially last thing at night and the house is in silence BLISS. could anyone recommend a good book to read. maybe even starting a book club where when someone reads a book and then put what its about just so that someone else could read it! what do you all think? good idea?

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 21:38
I think its a really good idea. I read a LOT but tend to keep to the same genres - fantasy fiction and science non-fiction among others. So reading recommendations here would be a great way to maybe get into something else.

porshiepoo
22-Mar-06, 21:38
I'm reading 'Roots' at the mo, I'll let you know what it was like when I've finished it.

wee_fuzzy_kitty
22-Mar-06, 21:42
James Herbert is an ACE writer. I would recommend him to anyone. I'm reading "The Others" at the mo and its great so far.

ice box
22-Mar-06, 21:42
hello i was just wondering that does anyone read? i read alot especially last thing at night and the house is in silence BLISS. could anyone recommend a good book to read. maybe even starting a book club where when someone reads a book and then put what its about just so that someone else could read it! what do you all think? good idea?
A good book well the caithness .org is a good one to read lol .

angela5
22-Mar-06, 21:47
I've just finished reading about Richard McCann. His mother was the first victim of Peter Sutcliffe..It's a true story of stolen childhood..and it's called 'just a boy'.

the original ducky
22-Mar-06, 21:49
well i have read three in a bed { no its not that rude} ha. its about a buisness woman that goes from one night stands to the next and she meets a man falls in love and get married within about 3 months. then she decides that she wants a baby so tricks him and it goes through her pregnancy the birth and after. its really funny i would recommend it to anyone. written by carmen reid. rating out of 9/10 brill.

erli
22-Mar-06, 21:50
Reading is my first love. I think that would be a great idea.
I tend to find an author I like and read all their books, then find a new one and do the same again. So I think it would be fun and beneficial to read something that I wouldn't normally be interested in.
If there is any interest, we could take turns to decide the 'book of the month' and have fun discussion over a few days, (but not before everyone has finished).
Count me in.:D

the original ducky
22-Mar-06, 22:01
just now i am ready rescuing rose. written by isabel wolff, so far so good. again its funny i always read funny books they have to have a good story line for me to finnish the book. its about a woman whos an agony aunt who marriage ends and shes left on her tood. seems good i will let you know how i get on.

Saveman
22-Mar-06, 22:08
I love anything by Wilbur Smith....sheer class.
Other favourites are:

Ben Bova
Duff Hart Davis
John Grisham
Brian W. Aldiss
Kim Stanley Robinson

Currently reading "The Stonor Eagles" by William Horwood

Count me in! :D

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 22:44
I am currently reading the green mile by stephen king AGAIN lol
I like anything by Stephen King (anyone got a copy of salems lot)
James Herbert
Dean Koontz
Karen Slaughter
Jeffery Deaver
Love horror and crime
I was actually thinking of doing a clear out of my paper backs but it's so hard!! I love all of my books.

obiron
22-Mar-06, 22:47
i always have a book of some sort beside me. just read barbara taylor bradford. now looking for my next book. a book i read short ago which was really interesting was about FBI profilers. like reading the broons or oor wullie while im in my bed. easy reading.

erli
22-Mar-06, 22:49
I am currently reading the green mile by stephen king AGAIN lol
I like anything by Stephen King (anyone got a copy of salems lot)
James Herbert
Dean Koontz
Karen Slaughter
Jeffery Deaver
Love horror and crime
I was actually thinking of doing a clear out of my paper backs but it's so hard!! I love all of my books.

If you love crime you should try James Patterson or Patricia Cornwell. I tend not to read much fiction anymore, but I if I do I always go back to them.

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 22:50
How about we start a book swap club? Whereby if someone had a book you want you could do a swap or a loan etc... only problem is people would have to respect other people's books cos I am a real stickler for not turning pages down and I hate to find crumbs in a book someone has borrowed from me grrr

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 22:53
If you love crime you should try James Patterson or Patricia Cornwell. I tend not to read much fiction anymore, but I if I do I always go back to them.
Both names ring a bell so I reckon I have probably read a few. I read a John Connelly book last week 1st one of his I have read, Black angel, it was really good.. My bookshelves are absolutely creaking I tend to read about 2 books a week so I run out really fast!!

Saveman
22-Mar-06, 22:56
Both names ring a bell so I reckon I have probably read a few. I read a John Connelly book last week 1st one of his I have read, Black angel, it was really good.. My bookshelves are absolutely creaking I tend to read about 2 books a week so I run out really fast!!

Two words Unicorn:
Wilbur Smith

You can thank me later ;)

the original ducky
22-Mar-06, 23:03
yeah i have a shelf full of books aswell.

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:04
I have read many of his books saveman I was reading Wilbur Smith when I was 14 as my grandad was mad for his books and I was always short of something to read, Sadly I don't actually have any so it may be worth a trip to the 2nd hand bookshop but I gotta do something about my bookshelves first!!

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:05
So how about we maybe even have a books wanted for loan section...
Salems lot anyone lol!!!

carasmam
22-Mar-06, 23:05
What does Wilbur Smith write? Is it horror, crime.............??

the original ducky
22-Mar-06, 23:19
thats a good idea in changing book how ?

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:20
Wilbur Smith writes adventure books (it's a long time since I have read them)
but I do remember they always had an easy to follow, well written story with a good sensible ending!!

Saveman
22-Mar-06, 23:24
What does Wilbur Smith write? Is it horror, crime.............??

Action/Adventure with some horror and crime thrown in for good measure!
Usually based around actual historical events.

ice box
22-Mar-06, 23:26
[Quote unicron]I am currently reading the green mile by stephen king AGAIN lol

Have you seen the film it's brill...

carasmam
22-Mar-06, 23:28
Thanks Unicorn and Saveman :) Just re-read all my Ian Rankin books and now looking for something else to try.

Saveman
22-Mar-06, 23:28
Thanks Unicorn and Saveman :) Just re-read all my Ian Rankin books and now looking for something else to try.

Two words.......;)

You can thank me later....

:lol:

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:31
[Quote unicron]I am currently reading the green mile by stephen king AGAIN lol

Have you seen the film it's brill...
I have only actually seen it once, I must try to watch it again but I am kind of funny like that because if I like a book I tend to avoid the film as I get mad when they change bit's and it is never as good as my imagination. Films can take away a bit of the magic a book holds.:)

Zambo
22-Mar-06, 23:36
I love reading as well. Hubby and I had to fill a whole cupboard with shelves from floor to ceiling, just for our books! And the loft has a few boxes full as well!

I love reading various books - Danielle Steel, Barbara Taylor Bradford, James Patterson, Virginia Andrews, James Herbert, Dave Pelzer etc. etc!

Hubby is more into hill walking books, Scottish books, that kind of thing.

I don't get much time to read any more though - great shame!

willowbankbear
22-Mar-06, 23:36
Crime fiction & True crime are my favourites & some auto biographies

krieve
22-Mar-06, 23:39
So what is your favorite book then what are you reading at the moment?

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:40
Dave Pelzer

'A child called it'
'The lost boy'
'A man named Dave'

have you read all 3 zambo?

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:41
There is another one too... can't remember the name and too lazy to go upstairs ......

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:42

True Crime is my mother's favourite she has hundreds of books..

ice box
22-Mar-06, 23:42
[QUOTE=ice box]
I have only actually seen it once, I must try to watch it again but I am kind of funny like that because if I like a book I tend to avoid the film as I get mad when they change bit's and it is never as good as my imagination. Films can take away a bit of the magic a book holds.:)
i must read the book but the film was brilant ops spelling mistake who cares you know what i mean lol

ice box
22-Mar-06, 23:46
Have to say people i'am a film man myself but i should start reading books they say it's good for the mind .

angela5
22-Mar-06, 23:49
Another good book i have read is 'Sickened' by Julie Gregory.

unicorn
22-Mar-06, 23:50
The privilege of youth was the other Dave Pelzer book.

willowbankbear
22-Mar-06, 23:51
So what is your favorite book then what are you reading at the moment?

The Godfather-Mauro Puzo, the film was good but the book was awesome.
I read a few of his books & they were all great.

Cosa Nostra, The rise & fall of the Gambino Family,Wiseguys,Donnie Brasco, The last godfather

angela5
23-Mar-06, 00:23
There is another one too... can't remember the name and too lazy to go upstairs ......

Richard B. Pelzer. A brother's journey.

angela5
23-Mar-06, 00:24
The privilege of youth was the other Dave Pelzer book.

oh! that one i missed.

Zambo
23-Mar-06, 00:27
Dave Pelzer

'A child called it'
'The lost boy'
'A man named Dave'

have you read all 3 zambo?

Yes, I have read all 3. I found that once I started reading them, I couldn't put them down.

angela5
23-Mar-06, 00:30
Yes, I have read all 3. I found that once I started reading them, I couldn't put them down.

Have you read The privlege of youth then? i missed that one.
Or Richard B.Pelzer A brothers journey?

Zambo
23-Mar-06, 00:36
Have you read The privlege of youth then? i missed that one.
Or Richard B.Pelzer A brothers journey?

No, I haven't read them yet. I keep meaning to buy them, but I just never get round to it. The first 3 books I bought as a set, and I just kept reading them until I had finished all 3!

the original ducky
23-Mar-06, 09:27
my goodness you are all keen readers i havnt heard of half the books that you all read. i stick to romantic and comedy, can anyone recomend some other books like this?

Joefitz
23-Mar-06, 15:53
www.baen.com/library/ (http://www.baen.com/library/)

All free, and rattling good reads

Shalom
23-Mar-06, 17:01
I read a LOT! We have bookcases (plural) in every room...2 bookcases in the hall.......a wall of shelves (6 shelves high) in one room.....and the house is still overflowing with books.....not to mention magazines!
Not doing so well this year....only 45 read so far. Last year, I read 301 books!
Favourite book ever? "Anne of Green Gables" by L. M. Montgomery.
Currently reading a brilliant thriller, "The Innocent" by Harlan Coben....a real page turner!

Rheghead
23-Mar-06, 17:08
maybe even starting a book club where when someone reads a book and then put what its about just so that someone else could read it! what do you all think? good idea?

There is a book club in Thurso as my better half used to be a member of it.

I think it is on Wednesday nights in Bews' book/coffeeshop Thurso.

obiron
23-Mar-06, 17:16
started reading joan jonker books there pretty good set before during and after the second world war. didnt think i would like them but a good read.

Liz
23-Mar-06, 19:08
I love reading! Have done such a bairn when I loved Enid Blyton.:grin:I read every night and like a wide range from autobiographies to fiction.

There is something so nice about getting a lovely new book.

A really good place to get books is www.bol.com They have a wide range and lots of bargains.

Fave authors are Joan Jonker (lovely characters) Maeve Binchy (great stories and characters), Marian Keyes (like Maeve Binchy) but I do like to read a wide range as it is good to try something new.

I usually swap books with friends and then give them to charity shops. Don't have room to keep them all.

Shalom
23-Mar-06, 21:41
Liz and Obiron, I love Joan Jonker's books too....but do you like the more recent ones as much as the older ones? I think she is a good author but she panders too much to her fans. A lot of fans told her they liked the humorous bits so she now goes overboard a bit with that....especially in the ones about Nellie McDonough and her pal (name eludes me)......you know the bits where Nellie does something outrageous and then acts it out for the family......so you hear the same thing twice.....I do get a wee bit bored with that.....but otherwise.....I love them and have read them all.
Does anyone like Mary Jane Staples? I've read all hers too.....if you haven't started, it's best to read them in order.....they are all about the same family in Walworth, South London. Good stuff!

jings00
24-Mar-06, 00:42
Tend to read psychological/thriller/crime books.
I like Mo Hayder's books, she has only written three so far.
Ann E Proulx is a good writer too, i think so anyways, and Garrison Keiller.
I have been known to read stuff from my yoof, The Brothers Grimm tales, Hans Christian Anderson, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, Wind In The Willows.
I attend a group and we have just started to take in books we no longer want for an exchange that way.
Currently reading "American Psycho"...again :-)

MadPict
24-Mar-06, 01:15
How about we start a book swap club?....

...or just set your books free.......

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

George Brims
24-Mar-06, 02:37
Unicorn, if you're going to get into John Connolly, read his books in order. All the Charlie Parker stories follow from one another (though not so much you can't pick up one in the middle). However reading a later one will give away some things from the earlier ones (like who survives various bad happenings). The exception is "Bad Men" which isn't part of the Parker series (though he is mentioned once).

Check http://www.johnconnollybooks.com/index.html for the story sequence and news about him. He is the only author I like enough to have got off my rear and met at a book signing. He recommended Harlan Coben and James Lee Burke, so I've been reading some of theirs lately.

Shalom
24-Mar-06, 10:04
Check http://www.johnconnollybooks.com/index.html for the story sequence and news about him. He is the only author I like enough to have got off my rear and met at a book signing. He recommended Harlan Coben and James Lee Burke, so I've been reading some of theirs lately.

George, if you haven't already read it, try "The Innocent" by Harlan Coben.....it's really good...I finished it last night. I'll be taking it back to Thurso library next Mon or Tues....so you could request it there!

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Mar-06, 10:54
Shamless plugging here.

Who Wants To Be An Edinburgher by yours truly.
Sinclair Researched by said chap out in book stores in two years time.
I, Jedi by same gurnin' faced radge in three years time.

unicorn
24-Mar-06, 13:20
Unicorn, if you're going to get into John Connolly, read his books in order. All the Charlie Parker stories follow from one another (though not so much you can't pick up one in the middle). However reading a later one will give away some things from the earlier ones (like who survives various bad happenings). The exception is "Bad Men" which isn't part of the Parker series (though he is mentioned once).

Thanks for that George I will have a look for sure... Only got that one cos hubby was in Tesco's and I told him to get me something interesting :)

Liz
24-Mar-06, 14:12
Liz and Obiron, I love Joan Jonker's books too....but do you like the more recent ones as much as the older ones? I think she is a good author but she panders too much to her fans. A lot of fans told her they liked the humorous bits so she now goes overboard a bit with that....especially in the ones about Nellie McDonough and her pal (name eludes me)......you know the bits where Nellie does something outrageous and then acts it out for the family......so you hear the same thing twice.....I do get a wee bit bored with that.....but otherwise.....I love them and have read them all.
Does anyone like Mary Jane Staples? I've read all hers too.....if you haven't started, it's best to read them in order.....they are all about the same family in Walworth, South London. Good stuff!

I haven't read any of Joan Jonker's new books. I know what you mean about the bit where Nellie (can't remember the pals name either and don't have any books to check) acts and agree with you. Shame if she does that more now.
They are such nice 'easy' reads with good characters.

Mary Jane Staples rings a bell. What are the titles of her books?

Have you read any Miss Read books? They are all about village life and is centred around the school. Again really good characters and just a lovely read. I read them all but gave them away as didn't have the space to keep them.

I'm hopeless at remembering some authors names!:roll: Should write them down for reference.

Amazon is another good place for getting cheap books.

katarina
24-Mar-06, 15:16
James Herbert is an ACE writer. I would recommend him to anyone. I'm reading "The Others" at the mo and its great so far.

Only ace if you don't want to have nightmares!

katarina
24-Mar-06, 15:24
Dave Pelzer

'A child called it'
'The lost boy'
'A man named Dave'

If you like that sort of thing you will also like 'A brother's journey,' by richard Pelzer, 'lost childhood,' 'Sickened,' 'the kid,' Can't remember the authors right now, but all horrifically true accounts of an abused childhood.

katarina
24-Mar-06, 15:30
my goodness you are all keen readers i havnt heard of half the books that you all read. i stick to romantic and comedy, can anyone recomend some other books like this?

Maybe you'd like 'the shimmer of the herring,' and 'the sparkle of salt' by Evelyn Hood. They are romances set in Bucky during the peak of the herring days. Wick is mentioned in them too.

If you would like to give a good psycological thriller a try, you can't beat Mary higgins Clark. Unputtable downable.

angela5
24-Mar-06, 15:51
If you like that sort of thing you will also like 'A brother's journey,' by richard Pelzer, 'lost childhood,' 'Sickened,' 'the kid,' Can't remember the authors right now, but all horrifically true accounts of an abused childhood.

Yes i have read them also Katrina. Richard B Pelzer the Privilage of Youth is one i have missed.

blondscot
24-Mar-06, 17:25
I love reading also and will read anything. Just finished Kathy's Story by Kathy O'beirne which is true life brillaint read.Just started Ghost girl by Torey Hayden who wrote "One Child" which was ace.

Shalom
24-Mar-06, 18:48
Mary Jane Staples rings a bell. What are the titles of her books?

Have you read any Miss Read books? They are all about village life and is centred around the school. Again really good characters and just a lovely read. I read them all but gave them away as didn't have the space to keep them.

Mary Jane Staples - part 1 (list is too long...can't be posted in one go!)
Down Lambeth Way (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/down-lambeth-way.htm) (1988 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1988.htm))
Our Emily (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/our-emily.htm) (1989 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1989.htm))
King of Camberwell (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/king-of-camberwell.htm) (1990 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1990.htm))
Two for Three Farthings (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/two-for-three-farthings.htm) (1990 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1990.htm))
The Lodger (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/lodger.htm) (1991 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1991.htm))
Rising Summer (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/rising-summer.htm) (1991 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1991.htm))
The Pearly Queen (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/pearly-queen.htm) (1992 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1992.htm))
Sergeant Joe (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/sergeant-joe.htm) (1992 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1992.htm))
On Mother Brown's Doorstep (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/on-mother-browns-doorstep.htm) (1993 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1993.htm))
The Trap (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/trap.htm) (1993 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1993.htm))
[/URL] (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/ups-and-downs.htm)[URL="http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/sign-of-times.htm"]

Shalom
24-Mar-06, 18:50
Mary Jane Staples continued:

A Family Affair (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/family-affair.htm) (1994 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1994.htm))
Missing Person (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/missing-person.htm) (1994 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1994.htm))
Pride of Walworth (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/pride-of-walworth.htm) (1995 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1995.htm))
Echoes of Yesterday (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/echoes-of-yesterday.htm) (1995 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1995.htm))
The Young Ones (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/young-ones.htm) (1996 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1996.htm))
The Camberwell Raid (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/camberwell-raid.htm) (1996 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1996.htm))
Family at War (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/family-at-war.htm) (1997 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1997.htm))
The Last Summer (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/last-summer.htm) (1997 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1997.htm))
The Ghost of Whitechapel (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/ghost-of-whitechapel.htm) (1997 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1997.htm))
Fire Over London (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/fire-over-london.htm) (1998 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1998.htm))
Churchill's People (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/churchills-people.htm) (1999 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1999.htm))
Bright Day, Dark Night (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/bright-day-dark-night.htm) (1999 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/1999.htm))
Tomorrow Is Another Day (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/tomorrow-is-another-day.htm) (2000 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2000.htm))

Shalom
24-Mar-06, 18:51
Mary Jane Staples...the rest!

The Way Ahead (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/way-ahead.htm) (2000 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2000.htm))
Year of Victory (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/year-of-victory.htm) (2001 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2001.htm))
The Homecoming (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/homecoming.htm) (2001 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2001.htm))
Sons and Daughters (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/sons-and-daughters.htm) (2002 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2002.htm))
Appointment at the Palace (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/appointment-at-palace.htm) (2002 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2002.htm))
Changing Times (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/changing-times.htm) (2003 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2003.htm))
Spreading Wings (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/spreading-wings.htm) (2003 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2003.htm))
Family Fortunes (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/family-fortunes.htm) (2004 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2004.htm))
A Girl Next Door (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/girl-next-door.htm) (2004 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2004.htm))
Ups and Downs (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/ups-and-downs.htm) (2005 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2005.htm))
Out of the Shadows (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/out-of-shadows.htm) (2005 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2005.htm))
A Sign of the Times (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/sign-of-times.htm) (2006 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2006.htm))
The Beginning (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mary-jane-staples/beginning.htm) (2006 (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/2006.htm))

Shalom
24-Mar-06, 18:53
I've read all Miss Read's books....pity she is no longer writing.
A similar author to Miss Read is Rebecca Shaw....she has a village series (Turnham Malpas series) and a vet practice series. Both are good.

airdlass
24-Mar-06, 23:23
Has anyone read any books by Doris Davidson? She's from Aberdeen and her books are based around Aberdeen and the North East. Similar to Catherine Cookson etc but with a local interest, it's great. Just finished reading "The Girl with the Creel" which starts off in Buckie and moves to Aberdeen.

Liz
25-Mar-06, 00:06
[quote=Shalom]I've read all Miss Read's books....pity she is no longer writing.
A similar author to Miss Read is Rebecca Shaw....she has a village series (Turnham Malpas series) and a vet practice series. Both are good.[/quote

I think she's dead isn't she?:confused:

I love Rebecca Shaws books but am never sure if I've read them in order. Should keep a list!

Crikey there are a lot of Mary Jane Staple's books to read!!!!:lol:

unleashedinhell
25-Mar-06, 00:10
I've just finished reading about Richard McCann. His mother was the first victim of Peter Sutcliffe..It's a true story of stolen childhood..and it's called 'just a boy':grin:

unleashedinhell
25-Mar-06, 00:14
the girl next door is 1 of the best books i have read. its funny and it has a brilliant ending if u ask me that is a 5 out of 5 star. :lol:

unleashedinhell
25-Mar-06, 00:15
i have read a couple of these books by dave pelzer they r good.

angela5
25-Mar-06, 00:18
I've just finished reading about Richard McCann. His mother was the first victim of Peter Sutcliffe..It's a true story of stolen childhood..and it's called 'just a boy':grin:

I read that book also..if you liked it you will also like the books by Dave Pelzer..

_Ju_
25-Mar-06, 18:12
I'm reading 'Roots' at the mo, I'll let you know what it was like when I've finished it.
Is that the same roots on which the TV drama was based that played in the late 70's and had wholecountries grinding to a halt to watch it???

Shalom
25-Mar-06, 18:38
Another good psychological thriller writer is Carol Smith.