PDA

View Full Version : Milkmen/women and paper boys/girls

kmahon2001
17-Jul-09, 15:34
Are there any such up here? Can you get milk delivered to your doorstep and daily newspapers through your letterbox?

If not, why not?:p

I'm fed up of having to buy a week or more worth of milk in plastic bottles and stuff them in the fridge, so that they're ready to pour onto my cornflakes at breakfast. (I object to plastic bottles anyway - even if they can be recycled, they're still not environmentally friendly to produce or to ultimately dispose of.) At least if your milk is delivered daily, you only have to accommodate a bottle or two in the fridge at any given time.

And I'd love to be able to read the paper in the morning with my cornflakes rather than having to choose between going out to get the paper from the local shop before breakfast or having breakfast first, without a paper to read, and then going to the local shop to buy the paper.

Life was so much more civilised when there were milkmen, paper boys and even bakers delivering to your door on a daily basis.[smirk]

Alice in Blunderland
17-Jul-09, 15:41
You may find that due to rising costs and therefore a slump in demand this service has died away.

I live in the country and I can, if I wish have my paper delivered but it wont be here in time for my cornflakes as it comes by post........more likely I can read it with my lunch. :Razz

Kevin Milkins
17-Jul-09, 15:54
It was nice to be able to do all of those things,(paper, milk, bread put to the door), but Mr Tesco, Asda etc put pay to that idea in most area's.

Does the milkman still have glass bottle's or do they use plastic now?

joxville
17-Jul-09, 16:27
I used to get those services here but had to cancel cos they delivery boys were thick. The paperboy would leave the paper on the doorstep, the milkboy would..............<I'll fetch the Vax> :roll:

[lol]

shamrock2007
17-Jul-09, 16:36
I got my papers delivered from Poltney News, Wick, always had it before half 9 in the morning. I know that my inlaws who stay in Reiss have both papers & milk delivered without any probs

jac1791
17-Jul-09, 18:17
Poltney News delivers papers to both Reiss and Thrumster - postie used to take them but they did not get them until after lunch, postie still delivers to farms and out lying places for them.

BINBOB
17-Jul-09, 18:18
When I lived in Moray, our milkman delivered the newspapers also.at a cost...He left ,then ,our local spar shop owner delivered them by car,personally.He was a great chap.
I see no reason why it can not still happen up here.By the way,I did live in the country in Moray...........:D

kmahon2001
17-Jul-09, 19:27
When I lived in Moray, our milkman delivered the newspapers also.at a cost...He left ,then ,our local spar shop owner delivered them by car,personally.He was a great chap.
I see no reason why it can not still happen up here.By the way,I did live in the country in Moray...........:D

We have a Spar shop here in Halkirk, but I'm not sure that they deliver newspapers. I'll ask them next time I'm in.

I understand that the people in Canisbay get their milk delivered, but I'm not sure who delivers it. It may be a milkman or it may be a local shop. If it's a milkman, maybe that's a sign that one could be found to deliver in other areas.

snowflakes400
17-Jul-09, 21:48
yes there is still milkmen on the go im sure claymore have a office in the
industrial estate in wick we get a delivery three days a week and i know
my milkman does wick and thurso so the chances are he passses your
door hope this is a help

silverfox57
17-Jul-09, 22:27
yes there are still milkmen in caithness ,as asked my milkman today and
he says there are 4 vans that cover the whole of caithness three days a
week,and there prices are cheaper than your local shops,fresh at my door,plus eggs,and lots of other products as well,and are still going strong,despite supermarkets.

kmahon2001
17-Jul-09, 22:41
yes there is still milkmen on the go im sure claymore have a office in the
industrial estate in wick we get a delivery three days a week and i know
my milkman does wick and thurso so the chances are he passses your
door hope this is a help

Thanks for the info. I will give Claymore a call and see if they can help me out. I do hope they can because I feel it is time we started fighting back against these supermarket giants and finding alternative suppliers, preferably local ones. :D

kriklah
17-Jul-09, 23:58
yep, claymore do deliver, i get my milk mon/wed/fri in halkirk. they also do potatoes, plus other things like eggs/butter, tho i only get them over the christmas/new year time to save running out when shops are shut

celtic1888
18-Jul-09, 00:22
Down where i am in thurso we have a sunday newspaper lassie and a milk delivery.
Not sure who delivers the milk but its always on a neighhbours wall every morning, nice and cold, just the way we like it with our cereal :)

Aaldtimer
18-Jul-09, 02:55
Thanks for the info. I will give Claymore a call and see if they can help me out. I do hope they can because I feel it is time we started fighting back against these supermarket giants and finding alternative suppliers, preferably local ones. :D

Perhaps if you'd done a bit more research you would have found these things earlier.
Perhaps the fightback has been there all along!:confused
I believe Johnston's Bakery delivers county wide, milk is too.
Newspapers are delivered in Thurso at least, maybe also Halkirk.

DeHaviLand
18-Jul-09, 10:08
Perhaps if you'd done a bit more research you would have found these things earlier.
Perhaps the fightback has been there all along!:confused
I believe Johnston's Bakery delivers county wide, milk is too.
Newspapers are delivered in Thurso at least, maybe also Halkirk.

What a pathetic reply this is Aaldtimer.:roll: Dont you ever stop to think before posting your caustic drivel? Did it never even occur to you that when the OP posted the question, that it was research?

kmahon2001
18-Jul-09, 12:15
I've just been on to Claymore and they are starting to deliver my milk as of Monday.:D

As I understand it, they don't use glass bottles, they deliver in the usual plastic bottles you get from supermarkets etc, which is a shame, but at least they do deliver.

For your info, Auldtimer, I came from an area where these types of services had all but disappeared because of the supermarkets. The area I came from was highly populated and yet the dairies, local newsagents, bakers etc had all ceased deliveries to residential properties. I believed that in a more sparsely populated area such as this, it would be unlikely to be cost effective enough for these services to be offered but, just in case I was wrong, I decided to do a bit of research online but could find no information on doorstep deliveries in this area - everytime I found any information at all on doorstep deliveries, it didn't cover this area.

However, knowing that there is nothing like a bit of local knowledge and experience when doing research, I decided to ask the good people of the Org, and they were kind enough to answer my query without resorting to insulting put-downs or trying to make me feel like an idiot for asking. As a result I will get my first pinta delivered on Monday morning (the first delivered pint I've had for over 10 years - it's lovely being in the land of the truly civilised :D). Thank you to all on the Org who have helped me out.

OJS
18-Jul-09, 13:13
I'm sure Jim Bews deliver papers, well they used to not that long ago, old man in a van.

Aaldtimer
18-Jul-09, 16:30
What a pathetic reply this is Aaldtimer.:roll: Dont you ever stop to think before posting your caustic drivel? Did it never even occur to you that when the OP posted the question, that it was research?

Dear sir/madam, "caustic"...sheesh! :roll: What a sheltered life you must have led.
The OP joined the .org in February...what took him so long to start his research?
Has he no neighbours he could ask?:confused

Tighsonas4
18-Jul-09, 17:21
its a pity e canna ask a civil question without it becoming a slanging match,
what used to be the old milk marketing board ,now claymore i think used to deliver as far as ousdale to the southall round wick and thurso including HALKIRK and going west to the other side of dounreay, reay and the john o groats area is covered as well believe all this is covered by four vans
maybe have to be up early to catch him in halkirk [lol]
think they start anytime from midnight onwards so enjoy your pinta
ps the bottles no lomger exsist [progress] tony

kmahon2001
18-Jul-09, 21:48
Dear sir/madam, "caustic"...sheesh! :roll: What a sheltered life you must have led.
The OP joined the .org in February...what took him so long to start his research?
Has he no neighbours he could ask?:confused

Well Aaldtimer, not that it's any of your business why I didn't ask about milk deliveries before now, but I had a lot of other things to do and to sort out that were a higher priority than where I got my milk. Besides, I wasn't about to join this forum and simply start asking a whole list of questions. There is supposed to be give and take on forums like this, not all take.

And as for my neighbours, they have already been very helpful in various other matters, and I'm not the kind of person who likes to keep bothering people all the time, so I try to find out any information I need in various different ways, rather than just keep pestering the same people.

Anyway, aren't the people on the Org also my neighbours, only a little wider spread?

If you've still got a problem with me then I am sorry about that, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.:roll:

Aaldtimer
18-Jul-09, 22:04
Well Aaldtimer, not that it's any of your business why I didn't ask about milk deliveries before now, but I had a lot of other things to do and to sort out that were a higher priority than where I got my milk. Besides, I wasn't about to join this forum and simply start asking a whole list of questions. There is supposed to be give and take on forums like this, not all take.

And as for my neighbours, they have already been very helpful in various other matters, and I'm not the kind of person who likes to keep bothering people all the time, so I try to find out any information I need in various different ways, rather than just keep pestering the same people.

Anyway, aren't the people on the Org also my neighbours, only a little wider spread?

If you've still got a problem with me then I am sorry about that, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.:roll:

I don't have a problem with you at all dear fellow!
If you refer to my original post, I was implying that had you asked earlier then you wouldn't be so "fed up".
Certainly no intention of being caustic as DHL seems to have jumped to the conclusion of.
A word of caution though on milk deliveries.
I used to get milk delivered and a lot of the time it arrived after I had left for work.
That resulted in me coming home in the summer and pouring it down the sink as it had gone off over the course of the day.:(

kmahon2001
18-Jul-09, 22:11
its a pity e canna ask a civil question without it becoming a slanging match,
what used to be the old milk marketing board ,now claymore i think used to deliver as far as ousdale to the southall round wick and thurso including HALKIRK and going west to the other side of dounreay, reay and the john o groats area is covered as well believe all this is covered by four vans
maybe have to be up early to catch him in halkirk [lol]
think they start anytime from midnight onwards so enjoy your pinta
ps the bottles no lomger exsist [progress] tony

I've been told they will be here somewhere between 5 and 6 am or possibly earlier, :eek: but fortunately they've said I can leave the money out for the milkman rather than him having to knock me up at that time in the morning. [smirk]

Aaldtimer
19-Jul-09, 02:45
I bet your newspapers aren't delivered that early!:confused

Tighsonas4
19-Jul-09, 11:20
I've been told they will be here somewhere between 5 and 6 am or possibly earlier, :eek: but fortunately they've said I can leave the money out for the milkman rather than him having to knock me up at that time in the morning. [smirk]
doubt if they would have much sales if they were knocking people up at that time in the morning [lol]
just drink up and let them worry about the money tony

bobbyrussell09
19-Jul-09, 16:49
i kne poultney news deliver an malcoms newsmarket,as for molk ,am no sure

kmahon2001
20-Jul-09, 15:14
Had my first pinta delivered this morning. The most civilised breakfast I've had for years. :D

It's so nice not to have to worry about accommodating half a dozen or more pints in the fridge just to keep me going till the next shopping trip, only to find that the last one or two have started to turn just as I come to use them.

From now on, I only have to accommodate a couple of pints at a time, so leaving more room in the fridge for other, er..."liquid refreshments"......?

I asked in the Spar shop today whether they deliver newspapers and, as expected, they don't. The only delivery available is the postal delivery for those outwith the village itself. I can't see anywhere else delivering to Halkirk if the local village shop doesn't do it.

Oh well, can't have everything - I'm just so pleased to be getting my milk delivered. :D

BINBOB
20-Jul-09, 16:25
Had my first pinta delivered this morning. The most civilised breakfast I've had for years. :D

It's so nice not to have to worry about accommodating half a dozen or more pints in the fridge just to keep me going till the next shopping trip, only to find that the last one or two have started to turn just as I come to use them.

From now on, I only have to accommodate a couple of pints at a time, so leaving more room in the fridge for other, er..."liquid refreshments"......?

I asked in the Spar shop today whether they deliver newspapers and, as expected, they don't. The only delivery available is the postal delivery for those outwith the village itself. I can't see anywhere else delivering to Halkirk if the local village shop doesn't do it.

Oh well, can't have everything - I'm just so pleased to be getting my milk delivered. :D

great news for u...shame about the papers though.

I always freeze my milk...get quite a few pints with the shopping and pop into freezer.Take the milk out as i need to ,let thaw..no problem.:D

Vistravi
20-Jul-09, 17:05

I always freeze my milk...get quite a few pints with the shopping and pop into freezer.Take the milk out as i need to ,let thaw..no problem.:D

You can freeze milk?:eek: i knew you can freeze alot of things but milk? :eek:

BINBOB
20-Jul-09, 17:37
You can freeze milk?:eek: i knew you can freeze alot of things but milk? :eek:

Yes..have done it for years.........discovered a good friend did it...........so I started doing it too.no problems with it at all.;)

Fluff
20-Jul-09, 17:53
I thought you shouldn't freeze whole milk, as it can separate?

BINBOB
20-Jul-09, 18:24

As I have just said...no problems here for the last........at least..23 years!!!I am still here to tell the tale....;)

ShelleyCowie
20-Jul-09, 18:36
As I have just said...no problems here for the last........at least..23 years!!!I am still here to tell the tale....;)

I used to love full fat milk. Loved it in ma cereal and that! But when i moved in with my OH he drank UHT milk! It took me a while to get used to it, but i eventually did!

There is always plenty of it in the supermarkets, there is no demand for it, its rubbish! lol
[disgust][disgust]

kmahon2001
20-Jul-09, 19:55

I would have done that but I've got one of those tiny little integral freezers, which only just accommodates what I need, with no spare room. I had to resort to keeping a stock of long life milk, which isn't the same thing at all, just in case my fresh milk didn't last the week.

Now I don't need to worry because I will have fresh milk delivered every other day. Besides, that's one less item clogging up the shopping trolley in the Co-op. As far as I can see, there is simply no down side to having my milk delivered. :D

kmahon2001
20-Jul-09, 20:04

I've frozen milk in the past (when I had a decent sized freezer) with no problems. It does say on the bottles not to freeze the milk, but I think that is more to do with the plastic bottles than the milk inside then. They may become brittle and start to split when they are frozen, and then as they thaw out...........yuk!

When I was a kid, my Mum used to freeze milk in those ice trays and give them to us as milky ice lollies and that was the old type silver top milk, where the cream used to settle on top of the rest of the milk. All she did was give it a good shake before pouring it into the trays and it froze perfectly. :cool:

BINBOB
20-Jul-09, 20:41
I have to say that i did worry about the plastic containers.........but to date ...again...no problems.:D

Vistravi
20-Jul-09, 20:55
I used to love full fat milk. Loved it in ma cereal and that! But when i moved in with my OH he drank UHT milk! It took me a while to get used to it, but i eventually did!

There is always plenty of it in the supermarkets, there is no demand for it, its rubbish! lol
[disgust][disgust]

It's horrible. Why didn't you just have milk just for you and he has his own? That way you both get the kind you like. ;)