PDA

View Full Version : Bats in ma hoose!!

zappster
16-Jul-09, 23:11
Finally confirmed today that we've got ourselves a bat roost in our cavity wall!!
Went up into the loft today for a hunt & could hear 'em but it took a while to suss oot where they were!! dinna worry i didna disturb 'em ...Tonight i've counted aboot ten flying aboot catchin flys & moths!
Theres always been the odd bat or two flying aboot this time of year & we always sorta suspected that they may be coming fae our roof!
what cool wee creatures they are!!

joxville
16-Jul-09, 23:16
They're a flaming nuisance as well as being vermin, plus they are a protected species so you'll have problems getting rid of them. Also, think about where all the crap goes! Eventually your house will stink.

Fluff
16-Jul-09, 23:22
Bat stew? Might be a bit chewy.

zappster
16-Jul-09, 23:27
Awww the poor wee fellas arena at bad min... there seems to be a lot of misinformation about them... theyve been around up here at least since '95...& it was only today that i confirmed theyre in our cavity...& no ma hoose dizna stink o bat poop & theyre not flying aboot in ma loft!!!
heres a bit more info!
http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/answers/animals/bats.shtm#roost

joxville
16-Jul-09, 23:28
Aw them bats flyin' aboot wid drive me batty. ;)

annemarie482
16-Jul-09, 23:30
don't know if you know but be careful if you are going to try to move them. they are protected by law so your best getting someone professional in.
i believe it has been known for people to have to leave their houses until they are "encouraged" out.
cool creaturess though!

zappster
16-Jul-09, 23:36
naaa im joost gonna leave them be ...theyre no causin' any harm at all if anything they'll keep the flys & midges at bay!!haha
Might bat proof ma roof aroond november time when they move hoose to hibernate!

annemarie482
16-Jul-09, 23:38
thats good to hear, makes a change from folk smoking them out :(
hope it works!

Kenn
16-Jul-09, 23:38
Now if you lived in a converted church we could all say, You're bats in the belfry!"

Delighted to hear that you have some of these fascinating creatures as residents.

zappster
16-Jul-09, 23:41
Not wantin to get folks worried but im a Big ozzy osbourne fan & we all ken fit he diz to poor bats... dinna worry am no as mad as him...yet!

sweetpea
17-Jul-09, 00:45
If they are flying around outside at dusk get a piece of string and wind it round and round as fast as you can, they love that.

sweetpea
17-Jul-09, 00:46
Not wantin to get folks worried but im a Big ozzy osbourne fan & we all ken fit he diz to poor bats... dinna worry am no as mad as him...yet!

Reckon he was out of it when he did that, if not you are in trouble;)

teenybash
17-Jul-09, 01:18
Love bats, nice to hear they have a good home with someone who can appreciate these lovely little creatures. Nice one.:)

lynne duncan
17-Jul-09, 11:59
zappster
we had one in our garden last week, think it must have been one of yours

tonkatojo
17-Jul-09, 12:04
Finally confirmed today that we've got ourselves a bat roost in our cavity wall!!
Went up into the loft today for a hunt & could hear 'em but it took a while to suss oot where they were!! dinna worry i didna disturb 'em ...Tonight i've counted aboot ten flying aboot catchin flys & moths!
Theres always been the odd bat or two flying aboot this time of year & we always sorta suspected that they may be coming fae our roof!
what cool wee creatures they are!!

You aint some sort of "count" are yer or called ADAMS by any chance ? :lol: ;)

BINBOB
17-Jul-09, 12:35
Bat stew? Might be a bit chewy.

Not allowed....;)

BINBOB
17-Jul-09, 12:36
don't know if you know but be careful if you are going to try to move them. They are protected by law so your best getting someone professional in.
I believe it has been known for people to have to leave their houses until they are "encouraged" out.
Cool creaturess though!

no one is allowed to move them but experts...;)

zappster
17-Jul-09, 13:04
You aint some sort of "count" are yer or called ADAMS by any chance ? :lol: ;)
Haha Count zappula!

Margaret M.
17-Jul-09, 20:55
The Highlands could use more bats to eat those darned midges. Good for you for leaving them be.

tonkatojo
17-Jul-09, 21:12
Haha Count zappula!

That's the one. lol . :cool:

funky-dunky
17-Jul-09, 21:24
i was sitting on computer last night to hear this thing flying about my house dont know if it was a bat or a moth but looked a bit to big to be a moth