PDA

View Full Version : Injured rabbit

white arrow
15-Jul-09, 23:29
Hi can anyone help, have found an injured rabbit, have tried sspca but it is closed at the moment.
anyone have any ideas.

teenybash
15-Jul-09, 23:36

teenybash
15-Jul-09, 23:37
Wick vet number is 01955 60 2088.
For the time being if you put the bunny into a box or similar where is is warm and dark as it is bound to be in shock. I presume it is a wild rabbit so the less handling at the moment the better. Hope this helps a little and I am sure the little bun would be saying, ''thank you for caring.'' Please keep us updated on progress...hopefully good news. :)

white arrow
15-Jul-09, 23:58
Hi and thanks for your help, have got the rabbit in a box with a warm cover and have put it in the shed for the night, when we moved it it did not appear to be in pain, so have decided to let it settle in case it is in shock and take it to Balmore in the morning.

joxville
16-Jul-09, 07:27
If all else fails it'll make a good stew. :)

BINBOB
16-Jul-09, 09:23
You horrid person....;)

teenybash
16-Jul-09, 12:08

OOoooooo you are naughty.............but I like you!;)

Rheghead
16-Jul-09, 12:18
My opinion is that I empathise with the human need to look after animals. But I am sure we are getting confused here. Dead wild rabbits are best served as food for other wildlife. Injured wild rabbits serve no purpose alive in human domestication. Best let it go or put it out of its misery. I learnt this lesson a few years ago. Heartless I know but it is true to nature's laws. A stew is actually the second right course.

Olin
16-Jul-09, 12:42
My opinion is that I empathise with the human need to look after animals. But I am sure we are getting confused here. Dead wild rabbits are best served as food for other wildlife. Injured wild rabbits serve no purpose alive in human domestication. Best let it go or put it out of its misery. I learnt this lesson a few years ago. Heartless I know but it is true to nature's laws. A stew is actually the second right course.

Hardly

Yes they may serve no purpose in human domestication but it's an animal? If you can help something live then why not?

May I ask how its injured? I mean if it's near mangled then yeah misery option but if not then personally I'd try to help it....

Rheghead
16-Jul-09, 12:47
....but it's an animal?.. I'd try to help it....

And it's not a plant by equal observation. Will it recipricate any appreciation? Would you do this for the animal or for yourself?:confused

Olin
16-Jul-09, 13:12
And it's not a plant by equal observation. Will it recipricate any appreciation? Would you do this for the animal or for yourself?:confused

Well I dont want to enter into an arguement wether I caused it or not but I am pretty sure that most pets don't really show appreciation when you take them to the vets? I know for one my cat has some form of fear of the vets! lol

I understand what you're saying yes, and I prob would agree that a lot is not so I can go around saying "I did that" but to ease my conscience about the poor creatures wellbeing?

white arrow
16-Jul-09, 21:48
put the Rabbit in a box wrapped in a blanket and put in the shed, the back legs looked broken, anyway the rabbit passed over during the night and has subsequently been buried.

KCI
16-Jul-09, 22:24
What a shame.
You did everything you could White Arrow - a lot of people wouldn't have bothered. :(

BINBOB
16-Jul-09, 22:37
put the Rabbit in a box wrapped in a blanket and put in the shed, the back legs looked broken, anyway the rabbit passed over during the night and has subsequently been buried.

AWW...bless the wee soul and well done for caring.:~(

lynne duncan
16-Jul-09, 22:51
good on you for trying

joxville
16-Jul-09, 22:51
Sorry to hear it, at least you tried saving it.

Boozeburglar
16-Jul-09, 22:56
I'll warrant she would have been on the Balmore lunch menu.

Soon as they heard yer car drive off, snap goes her neck.

Frankly, it is all they can do.

Sorry, life is a beach with grey sand.

...and a big bad ass bully in the sky running over to kick your grey sand castles into oblivion every time.

Kevin Milkins
17-Jul-09, 00:05
As a person that has had quite a few rabbit casseroles in the past I have to say that I am touched by the plight of this little fellow.

Sorry to hear that it did not turn out as you may have hoped, but good on you for the effort White Arrow.

sweetpea
17-Jul-09, 00:39

Is it just the wild ones that are injured or pet ones too?
I understand the human need to devour meat as well but this has nothing to do with nature except the human need to care.

teenybash
17-Jul-09, 01:21
RIP little wild bunny....somebody really cared for you.....White Arrow a tiny blessing will come to you I am sure, for your kindness.

white arrow
18-Jul-09, 11:22
Thank you all for your support and kind thoughts

Love and Light

Julia
18-Jul-09, 16:55
I came across an injured baby bunny yesterday on the bridge at Helmsdale, the poor thing had a broken leg, I turned back and managed to pick it up before a huge council lorry squashed him. I could not leave him on the road for ages with cars whizzing past and him being terrified so I popped him in the buses away from the road.

Still feel quite guilty for leaving him :(

white arrow
19-Jul-09, 20:34
Hi Julia, you helped an animal and you did what you could have done in the circumstances it is more than what some people would have done
Love and Light
white arrow