PDA

View Full Version : Gift for a 5 Year Old, Help Please

Kodiak
15-Jul-09, 22:10
It will be our Grandaughter's 5th Birthday very soon and we want to get her nice present.

We have been Racking our Brains but as of yet not come up with a Good Idea of what to buy her.

Can any of you Orgers out there suggest anything, say for a price of up to £100.00.

Thanks to all in advance. :)

KCI
15-Jul-09, 22:16
How about a Leapfrog Leapster?
I bought one for a 5 year old boy last week, and he loves it.
You can buy them in pink, which any little girl will love.
They are lots of fun, but they are educational as well.
You can also buy lots of accessories for them, and different games, which friends and family could buy for Christmas/Birthdays etc.
And it's the sort of thing that will last for a while.

nicnic74
15-Jul-09, 22:18
What about the My Life game console it's about £50 on amazon, its great for little girls, my wee girl loves her one

brandy
15-Jul-09, 22:20
also Hannah Montana and high school musical stuff is always cool. bratz is usually a winner.

joxville
15-Jul-09, 22:21
Buy a trampoline, it'll give pleasure for years to come.

Kodiak
15-Jul-09, 22:24
Buy a trampoline, it'll give pleasure for years to come.

Great Idea but I did forget to mention that where my son lives in Leith they have no Garden, sad.

Vistravi
15-Jul-09, 22:43
It depends on what she is iterested in and what she likes.

It has to be complex for her but as you obviously want something special why not get her a necklace or braclet with an inital of her first name or a special locket with a picture of her grandparents in it so all she has to do is open it to see you.

It's not every day you're 5. It'll be a big day for her as she'll be a big girl.

weeksider
15-Jul-09, 22:45
A trip to Edinburgh Zoo or CASTLE
Maybe A :lol: HIBS OR HEARTS FOOTBALL TOP

The Angel Of Death
15-Jul-09, 23:42
Maybe A HIBS OR HEARTS FOOTBALL TOP

Isn't that not classed as child cruelty now ;)

Naw how about roller skates (complete with all the I'm not going to hurt anything kit) or a drum kit or some sort of instrument or a bike / go cart / sit and ride sort of thingie possibly a pet of some sorts rabbit / gerbal / hamster

Or what about a bike ?

Failing that if poss take her out for the day and let her choose herself seeing as she is now a big girl being 5 and all

ywindythesecond
15-Jul-09, 23:57
How about something for less than £5 or maybe £20 that you have thought about yourself?

Kodiak
16-Jul-09, 00:48
How about something for less than £5 or maybe £20 that you have thought about yourself?

We have been thinking for a long time but since we hardly ever see our Grandaughter, last time we saw her was 2 years ago and then only for a few minutes, we have no idea what she likes or dislikes. My son is not much help as all he says just anything will do.

We really wish to buy her a Special Birthday Present as we do not see her often, she is about to start school and we have been saving hard from our Pension for over 9 months to enable us to buy her that special present.

So you can see ywindythesecond that your suggestion is not much help at all, but thank you anyway for taking time to post.

We will be seeing her on her Birthday, first time ever we will have done this, so this is another reason we wish her to remember her Birthday.

Iwe Like the idea of a Locket and we might look into this, but if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Aaldtimer
16-Jul-09, 03:05
Kodiak, I feel your anxiety! At 5 years old the attention span is short, the memory even shorter...the pleasure of the moment, bound up in the excitement of the moment, will be her's and your's, then quickly forgotten by her... to move on to the next parcel!
Been there, done that.
Kids eh?:confused

Margaret M.
16-Jul-09, 03:40
I think the locket with photos of her grandparents would be a lovely keepsake. Since you will be spending her birthday with her why not take her out to the shops for a wee while just the two of you and her and choose another nice gift. The time you spend together shopping will be a nice memory for you all.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jul-09, 06:24
I love the idea of a locket. :)

My girls love their nintendo Ds it gives them hours of fun and in future years you can always buy a game for it.

poppett
16-Jul-09, 07:01
I would go with the locket idea as it is a forever keepsake and the chain can be changed for a longer length as she grows! Hope you all have a lovely day when it comes.

Venture
16-Jul-09, 08:33
I think a locket is a great idea too. Kids get so many toys nowadays that they are all the same to them. Jewellery is different. Every time she wears it she will remember that granny and grandad gave it to her. You will probably have money left over too so why not buy her a cuddly teddy or other animal to go with it. Two good choices that never go "out of fashion" with kids. I hope you and your wife have a great day with her and remember to take plenty of photographs. ;):)

WickWitch
16-Jul-09, 10:48
I know that it is boring but what about putting half of the money into a savings account for her which can be added to monthly so that she can see it grow.
For the frivolous part what about a parcel of lots of art and craft stuff? Paints, clays, beads,glitter, glue, scissors etc. Lots of little things that will give hours of pleasure whatever the weather.
I hope that she has a great birthday.

emszxr
16-Jul-09, 10:58
my daughter is about to turn soon, i have got her a few high school musical bits and i think she i will get her a small cd player to play her favourite music on. she is also getting a small camera, she loves taking pictures.

you do get kid friendly cameras that are digital. it be good for her to take pictures herself of her special day. like the one below.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3490985/Trail/searchtext%3ECHILDREN+CAMERA.htm

hope you all have a good day

ashaw1
16-Jul-09, 11:30
You can sponsor an animal for her at Edinburgh Zoo. You can sponsor an animal ranging from cute and cuddly to big and scary! At least then she could pay it a visit every now and again, you also get certificates and photos of your sponsored animal too!

Great Idea but I did forget to mention that where my son lives in Leith they have no Garden, sad.

Fluff
16-Jul-09, 11:35
maybe something arty or crafty? I loved those sort of things when I was little, painting by numbers etc..
My OH and I always get his niece something fun or arty for presents (she is aittle older) and she always loves them. At 5 years old she dosnt really need anything really expensive. you could always get a few things, wrapped up nicely which she would probably like more than one expensive gift. I hope you have a good time :)

Kodiak
16-Jul-09, 11:52
I think the locket with photos of her grandparents would be a lovely keepsake. Since you will be spending her birthday with her why not take her out to the shops for a wee while just the two of you and her and choose another nice gift. The time you spend together shopping will be a nice memory for you all.

I also think that a Locket might be the way to go. :D

As to take her out for the Day this will not be possible. The reason for this is that we will be meeting at her Other Grandparents house and the whole family will be spending the day there.

They have a rather large house with huge gardens, she vistes them there on a regular basis as they live not far from my Son and Wife. Whereas we live up here and have only seen our Grandaughter twice in her life and she does not know us at all.

Also we do not know when we will be able to see her again as being disabled it is difficult for me to travel a distance.

So we would like this Birthday to be a Memorable one and that she has some memories of us.

Thank you all for your suggestions and it is very much appreciated.

Rheghead
16-Jul-09, 12:09
How about a plastic sandpit? kids love to get grubby. Make sure it has a cat cover though and it is portable enough to move inside.;)

KCI
16-Jul-09, 14:16
Why don't you go to one of the Make A Bear Workshops?
You could choose the bear, an outfit, and you could put a message on the bear for her, so she could always hear your voices.
That would be something really personal for her, and you'd get to see her face when she opens it.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jul-09, 16:12
How about one of those kiddie friendly digital cameras with a photo printer so that she could take photos print them and send them to you. :D

Kodiak
16-Jul-09, 18:35
I have now bought a dainty Locket from McBeath's in Thurso. It is a lovely little Locket and it has a double opening so it can take 4 Photographs.

Since this was far less than I expected I will also be buying something else to go along with it.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions it is really appreciated. :D

Dadie
16-Jul-09, 19:16
Oh dear im a bit late with my suggestion...
I was thinking quite hard about this and came up with a dolls house (wooden), which could grow with the child and new bits could be added along with furniture at later dates.
A bit hard to pack though:lol:

Kodiak
16-Jul-09, 19:25
Oh dear im a bit late with my suggestion...
I was thinking quite hard about this and came up with a dolls house (wooden), which could grow with the child and new bits could be added along with furniture at later dates.
A bit hard to pack though:lol:

No not too late as I will be buying a more FUN gift when I arrive in Edinburgh and your suggestion of a Dolls house is a very good one, Thank you for taking the time and effort. :D

poppett
16-Jul-09, 22:14
I had a dolls house and it grew with me into my teens. Leith`s ocean terminal shopping centre has a teddy bear factory if that would appeal, watch the bear being made. My nieces loved it there.

NLP
16-Jul-09, 22:56
my daughter is about to turn soon, i have got her a few high school musical bits and i think she i will get her a small cd player to play her favourite music on. she is also getting a small camera, she loves taking pictures.

you do get kid friendly cameras that are digital. it be good for her to take pictures herself of her special day. like the one below.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3490985/Trail/searchtext%3ECHILDREN+CAMERA.htm

hope you all have a good day

My daughter got this camera at christmas, good idea photos look good on screen but are rubbish when taken up on pc, plus it is so slow(push button and wait ages for photo to take) my wee one gets fed up waiting.

lynne duncan
16-Jul-09, 23:13
our little one has just turned 6 but last march when she was still 4 we got her a nintendo ds and it gave her hours upon hours of fun, can thoroughly recommend them.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19507 free postage works out about £60
plus a uk charger for £9
http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=gameall&searchstring=ds+charger&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0