PDA

View Full Version : would you have the strength.

balto
15-Jul-09, 20:48
Right this may seem a bit of a depressing subject, but i cant stop thinking about the conductor chap that went to switzerland with his wife, as she was suffering from terminal cancer, they both went to end their lives, now i understand that he was nearly blind, but it just seems sad that he couldnt live without his wife, so he choose to end his life aswell.

i'm not sure if i could contemplate that if something ever happened to my oh when we were both older and the kids were old enough and had their own lives, could any of the rest of you if you the circumstances ever came around.

EDDIE
15-Jul-09, 21:05
Right this may seem a bit of a depressing subject, but i cant stop thinking about the conductor chap that went to switzerland with his wife, as she was suffering from terminal cancer, they both went to end their lives, now i understand that he was nearly blind, but it just seems sad that he couldnt live without his wife, so he choose to end his life aswell.

i'm not sure if i could contemplate that if something ever happened to my oh when we were both older and the kids were old enough and had their own lives, could any of the rest of you if you the circumstances ever came around.

For me u should not have to go to switzerland to end your life it should be legal to do that here in the uk and its a question u could only really awnser it if u were in that position but at least there in no pain now theats the main thing

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 21:09

That's love in the extreme.
But seriously you can sympathise with the bloke, he must have been in dispair at his prospects, blind and deaf with no wife to rely on. and social services, he must have thought forget it I'm coming with you love. perhaps I would have done the same but I don't know if I possess the courage, although in similar circumstances who knows.

badger
15-Jul-09, 21:30
He was one of my favourite conductors and this news was so sad but I can see how for them it was the best way - they lived together and they died together.

The way care, or lack of it, for the elderly in the UK is going I think more people are going to find this a better way. One thing I know for sure is that I would rather die than be mentally or physically (or both) incapable of living independently when I'm old. For the young there is always hope but for the old, unless they're fit and/or wealthy, things just seem to be getting worse.

On which cheerful note ....

porshiepoo
15-Jul-09, 22:06
I mostly certainly could, and would contemplate it.
If I got to that age and my OH had decided to end his life that way then I could not imagine continuing without him, nor would I want to.

It's just a crying shame that a person has to fly to a foreign country and lay in a foreign bed surrounded by strangers to do it.

An animal would be treated with more sympathy than a human when suffering from such illnesses and diseases. For some reason, the majority of people believe that human life should be preserved to the extreme.

lynne duncan
16-Jul-09, 22:03
i thoroughly support euthanasia 100%, and would consider it if I found myself with a condition which I considered would ensure that my quality of life would be reduced to a level which would see me requiring 24 hr care

grumpy1
16-Jul-09, 23:20

i must admit i do believe euthanasia has its place...but under the right circumstances...we do it every day to our animals and thats not disputed at all.....
however i must admit if my o.h was terminally ill i really do think that i would opt to stay here..no matter how old or self dependant my kids were i dont think i could knowingly inflict that sort of pain on them...i mean its devastating enough to lose one parent but to force the loss of two parents i believe would be unforgivable...

The Angel Of Death
16-Jul-09, 23:28
100% agree with what he did if i was in the same situation i would do the same with no hesitation if your of sound mind and have a terminal illness then why not be given the choice after all we wouldn't let an animal suffer we do the right thing and put it out of its misery why cant the same be done for a human who is obiously in severe pain

BRIE
16-Jul-09, 23:49
I believe in euthenasia 100%.But I dont think I could be selfish enough as to end my life just because my husband was. I wouldnt want to live without him either but what about the family you leave behind? your children may be older & have their own lives but your still a part of it & they still need you whatever age they are.

Kevin Milkins
16-Jul-09, 23:53
I have not read in depth anything about this unfortunate couple so it is hard to make a comparison, however I am a strong believer in euthanasia and would like to see it made legal in this country.

Having worked closely with death has made me very philosophical about it and it holds no fear to me.
If the circumstances were that life had nothing to hold for me then I would like to be able to make an informed decision to end it in a dignified and professional way.

shazzap
16-Jul-09, 23:54
Who knows what you would do in any given situation.
Unless you have experienced something first hand you can only assume how you will or will not react.

golach
16-Jul-09, 23:56
Unless you have experienced something first hand you can only assume how you will or will not react.
Hear Hear, different strokes for different folks, I would not know, until I had been put in that scenario.

tonkatojo
18-Jul-09, 21:46

Aye but you only get one shot at it. ;) unless its botched.