PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu

Pages : [1] 2

tonkatojo
14-Jul-09, 20:30
was told this evening by a reliable source that a lassie that works in a shop in Thurso has swine flue, she got it at the Tin the park festival. :(

Rheghead
14-Jul-09, 21:58
Quite possibly.

Are you worried?

I am.

joxville
14-Jul-09, 21:59
T In The Park only finished two days ago so I think it's a bit early to be definite about the person's condition. The usual rumourmill at work. :roll:

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 22:02
Is it not around four days before symptoms start to show ? :)

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 22:03
Quite possibly.

Are you worried?

I am.

No point in worrying live life as you would is the best thing.:)

Serenity
14-Jul-09, 22:05
Personally I think it is already here .. the number of people I know with "bad colds" etc (or in male cases the deadly "man flu") is very high for the time of year. I mean in most cases swine flu it is not worse than normal flu so why would people report it or even notice the difference?

Serenity
14-Jul-09, 22:06
By the way who was your reliable source? Unless it was a doctor who tested her then they are not and if it was then they are breaking confidentially (which tbh I know certain doctors here who have in the past but that is not for this thread).

mrjolly
14-Jul-09, 22:09
was told this evening by a reliable source that a lassie that works in a shop in Thurso has swine flue, she got it at the Tin the park festival. :(so what? chill.:cool: if you worry you die you die anyway so why worry

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 22:09
Tests for swine flu do not come back that quickly I thought.

Penelope Pitstop
14-Jul-09, 22:12
was told this evening by a reliable source that a lassie that works in a shop in Thurso has swine flue, she got it at the Tin the park festival. :(

There's no reason why we would be immune to it up here!!

For goodness sake let's not start speculation about who's got what and in what shop...not a good idea:(

Rheghead
14-Jul-09, 22:13
No point in worrying live life as you would is the best thing.:)

Seems daft if we are told not to worry about getting bird flu when going into a pub and suffering the deletious effects of passive smoking, drink driving, crossing the road is posed as a serious health hazard?:confused

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 22:17
Seems daft if we are told not to worry about getting bird flu when going into a pub and suffering the deletious effects of passive smoking, drink driving, crossing the road is posed as a serious health hazard?:confused

I know all these confusing messages will eventually turn us all mad. :D

Rheghead
14-Jul-09, 22:20
I know all these confusing messages will eventually turn us all mad. :D

As someone who is concerned about passive smoking, drink driving and crossing the road then it isn't any surprise that I've been making provisions for isolation.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 22:25
As someone who is concerned about passive smoking, drink driving and crossing the road then it isn't any surprise that I've been making provisions for isolation.

You will have to come out of your bunker at some point.

Rheghead
14-Jul-09, 22:26
You will have to come out of your bunker at some point.

Did Hitler?:confused :Razz

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 22:29

Erm did he not shoot himself :eek:

kia
14-Jul-09, 22:32
Oink Oink, cough cough doesnt sound the same,haha Seriously though I think NHS been told to treat everyone with flu like symptoms the same tell them to stay at home. Call the Drs. so if you feel unwell call them..

Catch it = bin it = kill it.. :lol:

Rheghead
14-Jul-09, 22:40
Erm did he not shoot himself :eek:

He died because not enough folks were on his side.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 22:46
He died because not enough folks were on his side.

I think you will find you have the full weight of the NHS and many health organisations on your side........... will this help you ?:D

Rheghead
14-Jul-09, 22:48
I think you will find you have the full weight of the NHS and many health organisations on your side........... will this help you ?:D

Will it really save me?:confused

Vistravi
14-Jul-09, 22:52
If it is in thurso, its in thurso. All we can do is try and slow it down.

teenybash
14-Jul-09, 23:18
A simple way to protect yourself from the dreaded flu....of any kind, tummy bugs, colds etc is.

Equal quantities of Rosemary, Thyme, Sage and Lavender placed in a jar and filled to the top with Organic Cider Apple Vinegar. Leave for 6 weeks in a cool place and strain into another container.
A spoonful added to your bath gives you all over protection and you can also spray your hands. Use as a general disinfectant to clean surfaces etc.
All ingredients can be bought easily and your 4 Thieves vinegar will be ready before flu season strikes................The mixture contains natural anti bacterial and anti viral herbs in the vinegar......You can also add the herbs to a bottle of red wine, again leaving it for 6 weeks and take a teaspoon every day.;)

cuddlepop
15-Jul-09, 08:13
It doesnt matter where you go now somebody will have had some contact with swine flu.
Think about all the tourists you have up there that have come up from down south.

I was a wee bit nervous about going to the south of Glasgow because its rive down there.To my knowledge I didnt come into contact with anyone but when I went down to Saltcoats to visit my brother he informed me a few days later that a collegue was off with it.
Unfortunatly she'd been to Mexico, been back two weeks and then picked it up.Her doctor is adamant she picked up the virus here as it cant lie dormant for two weeks.

Talk about bad luck:(

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 09:56
A simple way to protect yourself from the dreaded flu....of any kind, tummy bugs, colds etc is.

Equal quantities of Rosemary, Thyme, Sage and Lavender placed in a jar and filled to the top with Organic Cider Apple Vinegar. Leave for 6 weeks in a cool place and strain into another container.
A spoonful added to your bath gives you all over protection and you can also spray your hands. Use as a general disinfectant to clean surfaces etc.
All ingredients can be bought easily and your 4 Thieves vinegar will be ready before flu season strikes................The mixture contains natural anti bacterial and anti viral herbs in the vinegar......You can also add the herbs to a bottle of red wine, again leaving it for 6 weeks and take a teaspoon every day.;)

You should tell the NHS and government perhaps the pharmacuticle company's
I'm sure they would be grateful. [lol]

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 10:01
By the way who was your reliable source? Unless it was a doctor who tested her then they are not and if it was then they are breaking confidentially (which tbh I know certain doctors here who have in the past but that is not for this thread).

It was the girl's manager, It was not a doctor that said it or you would be correct,but it was on her doctors say so that she aint at work for the said reason.

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 10:02
so what? chill.:cool: if you worry you die you die anyway so why worry

You have a good if not strange philosophy. ;)

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 10:05

What your calculation does not take into account is the time she spent there at the festival and the time in Glasgow prior.

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 10:07
T In The Park only finished two days ago so I think it's a bit early to be definite about the person's condition. The usual rumourmill at work. :roll:

Yeah yeah, in your typical fashion,if it doesn't come from you it don't count. ;)

BINBOB
15-Jul-09, 10:12

She could have been incubating ..before she went there!

telfordstar
15-Jul-09, 10:48
The same thing happened at rockness. Folk came back with flu like symtoms. A girl i know was at rockness came home with mostly same symptoms, was tested for swine flu and told by doc until results came back, in 3 days time to stay indoors and not to go to work.

gladly the results came back fine and was just a bug.

teenybash
15-Jul-09, 11:15
You should tell the NHS and government perhaps the pharmacuticle company's
I'm sure they would be grateful. [lol]

I am sure they already know but, the pharmacutical companies wouldn't make any mega bucks.....................:)

Liz
15-Jul-09, 13:10

Thanks for the tip Teenybash.

Is it okay if the ingredients are dried and is it a tbspn you add to a bath?

I have quite a few illnesses so don't want flu again!:roll:

Olin
15-Jul-09, 13:46
Just wondering if anyone knows,

I am a diabetic and am wondering if someone can tell me if swine flu affects this more serious than a "normal" person?

changilass
15-Jul-09, 14:10
Would it not make more sense to ask your doctor questions if you are worried rather than come on here and get all sorts of conflicting and possibly worrying advice.

Your doctor will have trained for years, folks on here are giving advice that may suit them but not you and that is bliddy dangerous.

Olin
15-Jul-09, 14:21
Would it not make more sense to ask your doctor questions if you are worried rather than come on here and get all sorts of conflicting and possibly worrying advice.

Your doctor will have trained for years, folks on here are giving advice that may suit them but not you and that is bliddy dangerous.

Lol yeah fair dos

Was just wondering like

Alice in Blunderland
15-Jul-09, 15:52
What your calculation does not take into account is the time she spent there at the festival and the time in Glasgow prior.

True.

GPs will be erring on caution I would think as venues such as T in the park Belladrum and so on where a large amount of people from all over gathering will be a breeding ground for germs.A friend of mine recently in Glasgow at something came back with a sore throat and cold and was also put off work for a week as a precaution. She had a cold but it was better to be careful. :)
The NHS have a web site full of advice for those concerned about swine flu.

http://www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/Pages/welcome.aspx

There are various links in the section regarding swine flu that you can follow for more advice.

brandy
15-Jul-09, 15:59
olin, as for your question about being diabetic... ive looked this up as well since im diabetic.. and even though most people only have very mild symptoms but any one with an underlying medical condition like diabetes in fact it was specifically mentioned in the news, should contact their Gp by phone at the sign of any symptoms.

teenybash
15-Jul-09, 16:04
Thanks for the tip Teenybash.

Is it okay if the ingredients are dried and is it a tbspn you add to a bath?

I have quite a few illnesses so don't want flu again!:roll:

Dried or fresh will do...........using dried herbs you would put a tblspn of each into the cider apple vinegar. Once strained a couple of tspns into bath water. You can add mint leaves to the 4 thieves if you want a really fresh aroma......It really works as [ touch wood] seldom have a cold...can't remember the last one and flu I haven't had for over 20 years...:)

redeyedtreefrog
15-Jul-09, 19:40
Tests for swine flu do not come back that quickly I thought.

Thought they weren't doing lab tests now? Too many cases or something? On the bright side, one third of us, the most vulnerable, will be vaccinated by Xmas and the rest by this time next year! :)

Liz
15-Jul-09, 19:43
Dried or fresh will do...........using dried herbs you would put a tblspn of each into the cider apple vinegar. Once strained a couple of tspns into bath water. You can add mint leaves to the 4 thieves if you want a really fresh aroma......It really works as [ touch wood] seldom have a cold...can't remember the last one and flu I haven't had for over 20 years...:)

Thanks a lot Teenybash. I will give it a go.:D

dragonfly
15-Jul-09, 19:54
It was the girl's manager, It was not a doctor that said it or you would be correct,but it was on her doctors say so that she aint at work for the said reason.

if I were the girl in question I would be making a serious complaint about my manager breaking confidentiality and telling people what was wrong with her[disgust]

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 19:58
I feel I must apologise, a bit red faced I am.

The girl in question along with her manageress have had a bit of the verbal skitters, I blame myself for believing women. False Alarm !!!. [disgust]

changilass
15-Jul-09, 20:09
I hope you are pleased with yourself. This is why you shouldn't post gossip on the org. It can upset folk and nine times out of ten its a load of crap.

Well done you for not letting the truth spoil a good story in your quest to be the first with the gossip. [disgust]

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 20:38
if I were the girl in question I would be making a serious complaint about my manager breaking confidentiality and telling people what was wrong with her[disgust]

If you knew the place in question you would not be saying that, it is like a junior school playground, the way all of them tittle tattle and bitch to one an other.:roll:

toodiemac
15-Jul-09, 20:39
Thought they weren't doing lab tests now? Too many cases or something? On the bright side, one third of us, the most vulnerable, will be vaccinated by Xmas and the rest by this time next year! :)

The 'bright side'?? This vaccine has no safety history, in fact no history at all since it is brand new. In the late 70's there was an outbreak of swine flu in the states and the vaccine killed a lot more people than the swine flu did, not to mention the many other serious side effects. I think they ended up paying out massive amounts of compensation.

No way would I have the vaccine and certainly wouldn't let my children have it.

It is worrying that they think there is a possibility of Swine Flu becoming a serious illness, but I remember the headlines screaming out, not so long ago, "Avian Flu to kill 75,000" and "SARS Will Kill Millions" and even "Killer Brisbane Flu to hit Britain" .................... hmmmm, what happened to those ones? So, I'll just wait and see I think.

(I really, really hope I don't have to eat my words though) :)

Leanne
15-Jul-09, 20:41
Just for the record there has only been one confirmed case of Swine Flu in Caithness and that wasn't in Thurso...

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 20:48
I hope you are pleased with yourself. This is why you shouldn't post gossip on the org. It can upset folk and nine times out of ten its a load of crap.

Well done you for not letting the truth spoil a good story in your quest to be the first with the gossip. [disgust]

Well arnt you the self righteous one, it was a genuine mistake as I have all ready apologised, your bitch is not called for is it !.
Are you accusing me of sensationalising the "swine flu", well you are entirely
wrong, as for being the first don't you read newspapers or even watch the telly.
As you are obviously wearing a halo I will leave it. ;)

toodiemac
15-Jul-09, 20:50
Just for the record there has only been one confirmed case of Swine Flu in Caithness and that wasn't in Thurso...

Just curious as to how you know this? I don't think it's strictly true.

Leanne
15-Jul-09, 20:55
I work in the lab. We have only had one confirmed case out of all the swabs taken. Diagnosis as of last week is based on clinical symptoms and done by the GP - all flu-like symptoms are likely to be diagnosed as swine flu, whether they are or aren't...

Toodiemac - do you attack everyone? You seem very confrontational... What makes you qualified to comment?

Oh just to correct you - the vaccine has yet to be released. Treatment is with Tamiflu which is an anti-viral. Before you start correcting people please make sure your facts are right ;)

toodiemac
15-Jul-09, 21:09
I work in the lab. We have only had one confirmed case out of all the swabs taken. Diagnosis as of last week is based on clinical symptoms and done by the GP - all flu-like symptoms are likely to be diagnosed as swine flu, whether they are or aren't...

Toodiemac - do you attack everyone? You seem very confrontational... What makes you qualified to comment?

Oh just to correct you - the vaccine has yet to be released. Treatment is with Tamiflu which is an anti-viral. Before you start correcting people please make sure your facts are right ;)

Eh? I haven't (and nor would I) attack anyone, neither was I being confrontational. Why are you bringing up Tamiflu? I was replying to a post about the forthcoming vaccine, a post in which Tamiflu wasn't even mentioned - so what exactly are you 'correcting' me for?

Fair enough, with you working in the lab you should know more than me about confirmed cases, so we will just have to agree to disagree on this one, as I'm not prepared to say any more on that.

I must say though, I am a wee bit surprised that NHS Highland have refused to say where in the whole area the confirmed cases are, despite media efforts to find out, and yet if they had only looked on the .Org then all would have been revealed ;) Aren't you supposed to keep it strictly confidential?

Leanne
15-Jul-09, 21:19
I must say though, I am a wee bit surprised that NHS Highland have refused to say where in the whole area the confirmed cases are, despite media efforts to find out, and yet if they had only looked on the .Org then all would have been revealed ;)

Rumour has been revealed on here which is inappropriate and scare mongering. Weren't you the one to say not to believe anything in the media? Internet is far worse...

[quote=toodiemac;573896]Aren't you supposed to keep it strictly confidential?

Me? Aren't you the one who is spreading it all over the internet who has it?

toodiemac
15-Jul-09, 21:31
[quote=toodiemac;573896]I must say though, I am a wee bit surprised that NHS Highland have refused to say where in the whole area the confirmed cases are, despite media efforts to find out, and yet if they had only looked on the .Org then all would have been revealed ;)

Rumour has been revealed on here which is inappropriate and scare mongering. Weren't you the one to say not to believe anything in the media? Internet is far worse...

Oh my, you are quite fierce Leanne!

Yip, rumours have been flying around ever since the swine flu broke, even on the .Org, and despite this NHS Highland still refuse to say where confirmed cases are. I'm not spreading it 'all over the internet' LOL, I simply asked how you knew for sure about the confirmed case and said that I believed something other - AND I did say that you would most probably know more than me since you work in the Lab.

I have no link whatsoever with the NHS so by why would I be bound by it's confidentiality rules? I simply said that as you are employed in the Lab I would have thought (though I may be quite wrong and if I am, then I hold my hands up) that you would be bound by confidentiality rules. No matter what rumours are flying about, I just thought that if NHS Highland as a whole refused to comment on where the confirmed case(s) is/are, then individual employees probably shouldn't comment either.

Oh, and not everybody is scared of swine flu.

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 21:36
[quote=toodiemac;573896]I must say though, I am a wee bit surprised that NHS Highland have refused to say where in the whole area the confirmed cases are, despite media efforts to find out, and yet if they had only looked on the .Org then all would have been revealed ;)

As it was me who posted the original "scare" , and have duly apologised lets not get this out of hand with personal attacks with one an other. ;) It was a genuine mistake, perhaps if the authorities were not so cloak and dagger up here rumours would not be required to extract info from shall we say "lab workers". :roll:

Mrs Bucket
15-Jul-09, 21:37
I heard that a family in Wick is confined to house after returning from Galsgow with suspected swine flu. Dont know how true it is though.

Leanne
15-Jul-09, 21:41
[quote=Leanne;573903]
I simply said that as you are employed in the Lab I would have thought that you would be bound by confidentiality rules. No matter what rumours are flying about, I just thought that if NHS Highland as a whole refused to comment on where the confirmed case(s) is/are, then individual employees probably shouldn't comment either.

I didn't lol

toodiemac
15-Jul-09, 21:46
Rumours have been flying about ever since swine flu started. I don't imagine for one second that it won't reach / hasn't reached Caithness - it's everywhere else. Lets just hope that for those who do have it, it passes quickly and mildly as it has done for the vast majority of others.

Lets also remember that the ordinary flu is much more likely to result in complications and we don't all worry about that. Every time you are thinking about or talking about swine flu, just drop the 'swine' part and remember that there has been far too much scaremongering in the media.

I know some 'experts' are predicting that it MAY come back this winter in a much more serious form, just as they predicted 75,000 deaths from Avian Flu (and all the rest). Let's just hope it doesn't happen, and if it does, deal with it then.

DOCTOR
15-Jul-09, 21:49
With regard to Swine Flu if anyone has any worries and concerns they should contact their GP who can talk over any concerns and worries they may have confidentialy.

toodiemac
15-Jul-09, 21:49
[quote=toodiemac;573917]

I didn't lol

You didn't what? Confirm that there is swine flu in Caithness? I think that perhaps you did actually. A finger-wagging waiting you at work tomorrow methinks ;)

mrjolly
15-Jul-09, 22:54
I heard that a family in Wick is confined to house after returning from Galsgow with suspected swine flu. Dont know how true it is though.no! no! that was wine flu:eek:

Anne x
15-Jul-09, 23:06
lol ,rofl , org at its best this thread should be on the general section of the org thread not here all rumour then and a lot of backstabbing

purplelady
15-Jul-09, 23:25
My uncle who lives in sothhampton has it and my mum who lives in kent has just told me one of the little ones next door to her have it and is in hospital because he is only two and cannot sallow the medication as his throat is so sore , i do think we are all worrying to much about this flu and a lot of colds are being mistaken for it as they are taking no swabs now x

Fran
16-Jul-09, 00:29
[quote=Leanne;573885]I work in the lab. We have only had one confirmed case out of all the swabs taken. Diagnosis as of last week is based on clinical symptoms and done by the GP -

...I dont think the hospital would be pleased at you breaching the confidentiality rule on a chat board,............................................ ................................

Aaldtimer
16-Jul-09, 02:51
[quote=Leanne;573885]I work in the lab. We have only had one confirmed case out of all the swabs taken. Diagnosis as of last week is based on clinical symptoms and done by the GP -

...I dont think the hospital would be pleased at you breaching the confidentiality rule on a chat board,............................................ ................................

I really fail to see any breach of confidence in Leanne's postings...no names - no locations...no personal info!:confused

Venture
16-Jul-09, 09:23
Children 3-16 are top of the list for vaccinations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1200012/Swine-flu-Every-child-16-vaccinated--when.html

toodiemac
16-Jul-09, 09:59
Children 3-16 are top of the list for vaccinations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1200012/Swine-flu-Every-child-16-vaccinated--when.html

Oh my goodness, that is quite scary. As it won't have gone through adequate safety trials, would anybody actually risk letting their child have it?

As I understand it, they will be gathering the information for safety etc once they have vaccinated, so these children are effectively taking part in a medical experiment. Not good at all.

Many experts feel that the new cervical cancer vaccine hasn't been tested for long enough (around 6 years) and so shouldn't yet be given to children, and yet this swine flu vaccine will be put through after about 5 days of testing! I wonder what the longer term effects will be? In the last 70's the swine flu vaccine they used then killed many, many more that the swine flu itself did. I just feel very wary about it, especially since the vaccine companies stand to make millions (if not billions) from this.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jul-09, 15:09
I will be there for my vaccination when the time comes. :D

tonkatojo
16-Jul-09, 15:23
I will be there for my vaccination when the time comes. :D

So will I, I don't think most folk understand vaccines, it usually involves giving a dose of the dead virus hence the body builds up immunity, its just an extension of the annual flu jag and that is modified every year for new threats.

toodiemac
16-Jul-09, 15:38
Hmmmm, I would be wary. Look what happened in the late 70's when they brought out the vaccine then for swine flu. It killed a lot more people than the swine flu did

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jul-09, 16:00
Hmmmm, I would be wary. Look what happened in the late 70's when they brought out the vaccine then for swine flu. It killed a lot more people than the swine flu did

The advances in medicine and technology are tenfold since then. Time has not stood still when it comes to research and development. :) My motto is look to the future and remember the past.

toodiemac
16-Jul-09, 16:18
I agree that hopefully lessons will have been learned since then, but would you not be worried about the lack of testing? Usually they have to test a vaccine for years before releasing it on the public and even then things still go wrong. In fact, usually ANY new drug has to undergo extensive testing and human trials before release.

I know that you have to balance the risk with any vaccine against the risk of the illness, but given that swine flu is generally a very mild illness, and the risk of the vaccine is more or less unknown, well .................

I'm not trying to cause a huge debate here, I'm just genuinely curious as to whether people would let this be tested on their children. Is there an illness you would deem so mild that you wouldn't have a vaccine for it, even if it was available?

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jul-09, 16:27
but given that swine flu is generally a very mild illness, and the risk of the vaccine is more or less unknown, well .................

I'm not trying to cause a huge debate here, I'm just genuinely curious as to whether people would let this be tested on their children. Is there an illness you would deem so mild that you wouldn't have a vaccine for it, even if it was available?

Granted swine flu is mild at present to most sufferers................however these flu's can mutate ! what then will be the answer ? too late for many.

I am not being alarmist either but how long will it stay mild ? will it mutate? if it does how deadly will it become ? versus a vaccine developed in a clinical environment and given to counter the effects of the disease. :)

Remember also so has he ability for one to sue companies also gone up tenfold since the seventies not that I am suggesting that anyone would need to and the public are much better informed than they were years ago. :)

Venture
16-Jul-09, 16:42
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090713/ap_on_he_me/eu_med_swine_flu_vaccine

I think people have a right to be concerned about the vaccine. Having read the last three paragraphs of this article it's certainly made me have doubts about just how safe this vaccine is.

toodiemac
16-Jul-09, 16:43
Granted swine flu is mild at present to most sufferers................however these flu's can mutate ! what then will be the answer ? too late for many.

I am not being alarmist either but how long will it stay mild ? will it mutate? if it does how deadly will it become ? versus a vaccine developed in a clinical environment and given to counter the effects of the disease. :)

Remember also so has he ability for one to sue companies also gone up tenfold since the seventies not that I am suggesting that anyone would need to and the public are much better informed than they were years ago. :)

I know that it has been said it MAY mutate and come back worse, but doesn't the ordinary flu mutate every year also? In fact, the ordinary flu kills about 6000 per year but we aren't vaccinating everybody against that.

I'm also pretty sure that the vaccine companies have some sort of exemption from liability with regards to side effects and death - when compensation is granted it comes from the Government doesn't it, i.e. the taxpayer pays for it. Very unfair, especially when you consider the vaccine manufacturers stand to make millions from this vaccine.

It just scares me to be honest, and the swine flu doesn't. Of course if it does come back really nasty I would have a big re-think about the whole thing, weighing up the risks.

Would anyone here happily take part in any other vaccine or medicine trial? I know that people obviously do otherwise these things would never be licensed. Would anybody put forward their children for such a trial? Again, I suppose some people must do it.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jul-09, 17:36
Anyone with any concerns regarding any vaccine should talk it over with their GP who will have the patients best interests at heart. :)

tonkatojo
16-Jul-09, 20:32
Anyone with any concerns regarding any vaccine should talk it over with their GP who will have the patients best interests at heart. :)

Totally agree with you, but with the scare mongers with MMR will any of the parents be convinced.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jul-09, 20:46
Totally agree with you, but with the scare mongers with MMR will any of the parents be convinced.

Some will some won't as with everything in life some decisions will be the right ones and some may not but we all have to live with our decisions. :)

Most of us will have a good relationship with our Gps and will be able to take what they say on board.

Google and information is out there to be found however its knowing what to take on board and what to disregard that makes it tricky. :)

toodiemac
16-Jul-09, 21:16
But surely even the GP cannot give any assurances on longer term safety of the vaccine if there have not been and studies into longer term safety carried out?

tonkatojo
16-Jul-09, 21:54
But surely even the GP cannot give any assurances on longer term safety of the vaccine if there have not been and studies into longer term safety carried out?

They will give a quantified answer, but the only sure thing in life is death, just way up the pro's and con's and make your own mind up and accept any consequences but don't worry yourself silly.

squidge
16-Jul-09, 22:01

But hopefully your GP will give a more balanced opinion from an objective scientific viewpoint than the either the Daily mail or the Yahoo news pages.

lynne duncan
16-Jul-09, 22:47
if they are making a vaccine at this moment in time is that to counter the current strain, and theoretically the h1n1 at the moment though spreading rapidly (on pandemic scales) yet it isn't causing death on the same scale, would the vaccine still work if this h1n1 mutated and became a more deadly strain, just curious as don't know if the vaccines would be able to cover a change in the strain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/world/2009/swine_flu/

the above link shows the spread of the pandemic as given by w.h.o figures

have read about past pandemics, again literally it is interesting to watch the technological ablility to catalogue this.
and yet for all our technology we cannae do much about it

if you do catch this mild! version of it would you be suseptible to it if it mutated or would you have generated a natural immunity

Amy-Winehouse
16-Jul-09, 23:06

I have concerns with the MMR so i will be wary about the flu jab !!!

tonkatojo
17-Jul-09, 11:13
if they are making a vaccine at this moment in time is that to counter the current strain, and theoretically the h1n1 at the moment though spreading rapidly (on pandemic scales) yet it isn't causing death on the same scale, would the vaccine still work if this h1n1 mutated and became a more deadly strain, just curious as don't know if the vaccines would be able to cover a change in the strain

have read about past pandemics, again literally it is interesting to watch the technological ablility to catalogue this.

if you do catch this mild! version of it would you be suseptible to it if it mutated or would you have generated a natural immunity

that's a cracker of a question I look forward to the replies as I have often wondered the same thing.

tonkatojo
17-Jul-09, 11:15
I have concerns with the MMR so i will be wary about the flu jab !!!

you shouldn't be wary or not too much, I have had the general flu jab/jag for years and the most I got was a drippy nose. But no FLU.

toodiemac
17-Jul-09, 14:16

I have often wondered this too - any medical people on the .org? The reason there is a different flu jab every year is because as the flu mutates, the previous year's jab is no longer effective, and the 'experts' are predicting that swine flu could mutate and come back as a more virulent illness. Would the new vaccine be of any use then?

Another thing I have often wondered about is, say for example when there is a measles outbreak, and a fairly large percentage of those who became infected have had the MMR. Medical people often say that if you get the disease even after having the vaccine, you will most probably have it milder than somebody who has not had the vaccine - how does that work then? Not just measles, it's the same for flu etc. Is it not be the case that you are either immune or you're not?

And before anybody says "discuss this with your doctor", I really don't think they would be too happy if people were taking up precious appointment time with queries like this.

WickWitch
17-Jul-09, 14:29
A vaccination programmes the body to recognise the virus. Antibodies are produced which overcome and destroy the infection. The body then recognises a subsequent infection and is better prepared to defend itself.

DOCTOR
17-Jul-09, 14:45
any medical people on the .org?

Yes.... :)

toodiemac
17-Jul-09, 14:47
A vaccination programmes the body to recognise the virus. Antibodies are produced which overcome and destroy the infection. The body then recognises a subsequent infection and is better prepared to defend itself.

er, yes - I think most people are familiar with how vaccines work. That wasn't really the question though. :)

WickWitch
17-Jul-09, 15:19
er, yes - I think most people are familiar with how vaccines work. That wasn't really the question though. :)

Another thing I have often wondered about is, say for example when there is a measles outbreak, and a fairly large percentage of those who became infected have had the MMR. Medical people often say that if you get the disease even after having the vaccine, you will most probably have it milder than somebody who has not had the vaccine - how does that work then? Not just measles, it's the same for flu etc. Is it not be the case that you are either immune or you're not?

This is what I was answering!

Kevin Milkins
17-Jul-09, 15:46
I think it's a government conspiracy to thin us out
The virus was made in a lab and designed to take out the costly element of society (old, infirm, and those with underlying medical problems).:eek:

They have probably already got a fail-safe vaccine that they will introduce at a time when the balance of society has returned to normal, i.e. there are more jobs than there are people to do them.;)

cuddlepop
17-Jul-09, 15:50
I think it's a government conspiracy to thin us out
The virus was made in a lab and designed to take out the costly element of society (old, infirm, and those with underlying medical problems).:eek:

They have probably already got a fail-safe vaccine that they will introduce at a time when the balance of society has returned to normal, i.e. there are more jobs than there are people to do them.;)

You planning on writting a script for Torchwood Kevin,it'd make a great storyline.;)

Alice in Blunderland
17-Jul-09, 15:55
old,

It doesn't seem to be hitting the elderly the same level at present.

Kevin Milkins
17-Jul-09, 15:57
It doesn't seem to be hitting the elderly the same level at present.

I am fairly safe then.:lol:

Kenn
17-Jul-09, 15:57
What I would like answered is why this particular virus has been named as a pandemic ?
We have have influenza outbreaks on the same scale many times in the past.
The government's forecasts of the possible death toll is no greater than has been experienced before.

Call me a cynic but when there is so much bad news for the powers that be, I suspect they are using this as a diversionary tactic.

Kevin Milkins
17-Jul-09, 16:00
What I would like answered is why this particular virus has been named as a pandemic ?
We have have influenza outbreaks on the same scale many times in the past.
The government's forecasts of the possible death toll is no greater than has been experienced before.

Call me a cynic but when there is so much bad news for the powers that be, I suspect they are using this as a diversionary tactic.

Thats sounds like a better theory than mine LIZZ, so can we blame the goverment anyway.:D

toodiemac
17-Jul-09, 17:08

This is what I was answering!

So, are you saying that somebody can be a little bit immune to a disease, rather than it just being straightforward immune or not immune? I'm honestly not trying to be antagonistic, I'm genuinely interested in how it works. :)

Tristan
17-Jul-09, 17:19
I have often wondered this too - any medical people on the .org? The reason there is a different flu jab every year is because as the flu mutates, the previous year's jab is no longer effective, and the 'experts' are predicting that swine flu could mutate and come back as a more virulent illness. Would the new vaccine be of any use then?

And before anybody says "discuss this with your doctor", I really don't think they would be too happy if people were taking up precious appointment time with queries like this.

There are many different strains of flu. It is an educated guessing game as to which ones will be the most virulent in any given year so even with a flu jab you can still get flu.

If the strain mutates, the jab may still be effective if it still looks similar to the old strain. You may still get ill but the body will be better able to defend against it. I seem to remember that in the old days milk maids didn't get or were less likely to get small pox because they had been exposed to the milder strain of cow pox. I could be mistaken but I think it was cow pox that was used in the first vaccination against small pox.

toodiemac
17-Jul-09, 17:40
Ok, so what about with a disease which hasn't mutated, say measles for example. Can somebody be 'a little bit immune' after the vaccine or is it a case that they would be either immune to measles or not.

I know that pregnant women are tested to Rubella immunity and often chickenpox immunity as well. If the blood tests show they have immunity then they are considered immune, not 'a little bit immune'.

I don't really understand why a GP might say to somebody who catches measles or mumps after having the vaccine, that they will have a milder case of it than somebody who hasn't been vaccinated. I can see what you are saying about a diseases which HAS mutated of course, I think it's all about the disease still having a similar recognisable shape.

Does that question make sense? I think I'm even confusing myself now :)

WickWitch
17-Jul-09, 17:55
So, are you saying that somebody can be a little bit immune to a disease, rather than it just being straightforward immune or not immune? I'm honestly not trying to be antagonistic, I'm genuinely interested in how it works. :)

No, I'm not saying that at all. A vaccination just prompts the body to recognise the disease. You can still get the disease but possibly not as badly as if you hadn't had the vaccination. There are other factors to be considered also. If the body is already stressed, for instance the immune system compromised, then it less likely to be able to fight infections.

Our bodies are designed to protect us from infections. When you are exposed to a virus or bacteria, your immune system actually learns from the experience. The next time your body is exposed to the same infection, your immune system often recognizes it and sets out to destroy it.
Immunization exposes you to a very small, very safe amount of the most important infections. This exposure helps your immune system recognize and attack the infection and prevent the disease it may cause. If you are exposed to the full-blown disease later in life, you will either not become infected or have a much milder infection. This is a natural way to deal with infectious diseases.
After immunizations were introduced on a wide scale, infections such as tetanus, diphtheria, mumps, measles, pertussis (whooping cough), and polio became rare. Newer immunization have also decreased certain types of meningitis, pneumonia, and ear infections in children.
Four different types of vaccines are currently available.

Attenuated (weakened) live virus is used in the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine and the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine. These vaccines may cause serious infections in people with weakened immune systems.
Killed (inactivated) viruses or bacteria are used in some vaccines, such as the influenza vaccine. These vaccines are safe, even in people with weakened immune systems.
Toxoid vaccines, such as the diphtheria or tetanus vaccines, contain a toxin or chemical made by the bacteria or virus. They make you immune to the harmful effects of the infection rather than the infection itself.
Biosynthetic vaccines contain human-made substances that the immune system thinks are infectious organisms. The Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type B) conjugate vaccine is one example.

Tristan
17-Jul-09, 17:56
Some viruses require a booster. The body is an amazing thing but it can not be 100% at the ready for every disease. For some the body can become lazy (for lack of a better term). It can still respond but not as efficiently. Booster jabs retrain the body to respond promptly.

BINBOB
17-Jul-09, 18:14
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE............I thought I Had stumbled upon an open university lecture!!;)

Olin
17-Jul-09, 18:18
Can swine flu be transferred through touching surfaces? Just wondering cause if there is some cove that touches money with swine flu and it goes into a till and what not.....

Yikes!

:eek:

WickWitch
17-Jul-09, 18:23
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE............I thought I Had stumbled upon an open university lecture!!;)

I don't have a beard nor leather elbow patches on my tweed jacket :lol:

I just consult the runes and rattle my bones [lol]

toodiemac
17-Jul-09, 18:49
So, if my rubella status came back as immune, during pregnancy, does that mean that I'm not really immune? In that case could my fetus still suffer from the potentially awful effects of rubella if I catch it? It's just that if the rubella status came back as not immune I could have at that point had then vaccine.

Hmmmm, getting confusing.

And for children getting the MMR, even if it is effective for them (and I know that it isn't effective for a small percentage) they are still open to contracting the diseases anyway?

tonkatojo
17-Jul-09, 19:03
No, I'm not saying that at all. A vaccination just prompts the body to recognise the disease. You can still get the disease but possibly not as badly as if you hadn't had the vaccination. There are other factors to be considered also. If the body is already stressed, for instance the immune system compromised, then it less likely to be able to fight infections.

Our bodies are designed to protect us from infections. When you are exposed to a virus or bacteria, your immune system actually learns from the experience. The next time your body is exposed to the same infection, your immune system often recognizes it and sets out to destroy it.
Immunization exposes you to a very small, very safe amount of the most important infections. This exposure helps your immune system recognize and attack the infection and prevent the disease it may cause. If you are exposed to the full-blown disease later in life, you will either not become infected or have a much milder infection. This is a natural way to deal with infectious diseases.
After immunizations were introduced on a wide scale, infections such as tetanus, diphtheria, mumps, measles, pertussis (whooping cough), and polio became rare. Newer immunization have also decreased certain types of meningitis, pneumonia, and ear infections in children.
Four different types of vaccines are currently available.

Attenuated (weakened) live virus is used in the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine and the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine. These vaccines may cause serious infections in people with weakened immune systems.
Killed (inactivated) viruses or bacteria are used in some vaccines, such as the influenza vaccine. These vaccines are safe, even in people with weakened immune systems.
Toxoid vaccines, such as the diphtheria or tetanus vaccines, contain a toxin or chemical made by the bacteria or virus. They make you immune to the harmful effects of the infection rather than the infection itself.
Biosynthetic vaccines contain human-made substances that the immune system thinks are infectious organisms. The Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type B) conjugate vaccine is one example.

Quite a bit more than the "hubble bubble toil and trouble " there then. I'm impressed.

WickWitch
17-Jul-09, 19:16
So, if my rubella status came back as immune, during pregnancy, does that mean that I'm not really immune? In that case could my fetus still suffer from the potentially awful effects of rubella if I catch it? It's just that if the rubella status came back as not immune I could have at that point had then vaccine.

Are you pregnant? If so then I would seriously advise you to talk over your concerns with your own health professionals.

I hubble, bubble, toil and am trouble at times [lol]

toodiemac
17-Jul-09, 22:39
No, not pregnant, just curious.

Tristan
18-Jul-09, 08:37
I know it is now a pandemic but it seems to be a very mild strain so Ms. T and I have been wondering why all the fuss. Ms. T came up with an interesting theory, that on a quick search seems to stand up to scrutiny - the Tamiflu that government is pushing at £7.20 per prescription is due to expire. If the reports are correct the Tamiflu that has been stockpiled was for a previous flu threat that didn't materialise. The government either push it (which it is doing) and get back the prescription charges or bin the lot.

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jul-09, 09:09
I know it is now a pandemic but it seems to be a very mild strain so Ms. T and I have been wondering why all the fuss. Ms. T came up with an interesting theory, that on a quick search seems to stand up to scrutiny - the Tamiflu that government is pushing at £7.20 per prescription is due to expire. If the reports are correct the Tamiflu that has been stockpiled was for a previous flu threat that didn't materialise. The government either push it (which it is doing) and get back the prescription charges or bin the lot.

So to save the money on this pile of drugs the government has spent millions on transferring it around the country, equipment for staff in the event of needing it, stockpiling other equipment should it also be needed.
Posters pamphlets and the mass distribution of all the leaflets to every household.
The many hours which Gps and members of staff within the NHS have had to spend in strategy meetings when they could be seeing patients etc.

Oh and in Scotland if the people receiving Tamiflu pay for the prescriptions they only pay £4. A quick search on google and you will be able to see how few of the population actually probably pay for their prescriptions.

So far yes its mild and some people haven't even needed Tamiflu according to reports. :)

WickWitch
18-Jul-09, 11:07
No, not pregnant, just curious.

If, when tested, you are shown to react to the virus then the odds that you will contract the virus are slim. I don't think that anyone would ever be so bold as to say that you could never catch it. There are many factors to take into account.
It would always be a wise course of action to talk to your own health professional before you try to become pregnant if you have any fears or concerns. They know your health history and can advise what is the best way for you. No-one should ever rely solely on information that they get from the net. The net can provide brilliant information but usually your own health professional will know you and your family's history and can make a more informed choices.
Pregnant women cannot be vaccinated against rubella as the vaccine is 'live'.

Medicine is not, and never can be, an absolute science.

katarina
18-Jul-09, 12:53
Can swine flu be transferred through touching surfaces? Just wondering cause if there is some cove that touches money with swine flu and it goes into a till and what not.....

Yikes!

just keep rubbing the gel on your hands!

toodiemac
18-Jul-09, 17:12
I have absolutely no intentions of becoming pregnant LOL – it was just a hypothetical question.

Anyway, back to the swine flu vaccine. If we assume it has the same effectiveness as the ordinary flu vaccine, then it may protect UP TO 70% of people (less in the elderly). Some studies seem to show that it is effective in only around 44% of people, there really doesn’t seem to be enough conclusive evidence. The experts just can’t agree on how effective it is - some think it's not very effective at all!

For the people it does work for, that’s no guarantee that they won’t catch swine flu.

Weighing up this protection against the risk of the vaccine – well nobody really knows what the risks of the vaccine are. They may be slight or they may be severe. Last time a swine flu vaccine was released the side effects were bad, a lot worse than the disease itself.

It will be tested on between 200 and 400 people, but it will be administered to pregnant women, children and the most vulnerable people BEFORE the results of that testing is available! There will be no data available on long-term risk obviously.

Bearing in mind that swine flu is a very mild illness for the majority of people, and that many people who get it have no symptoms whatsoever, I wouldn’t risk giving the vaccine to my children.

Of course, if the disease does come back more severe, and this has been guessed at not estimated, then the whole balance of risk changes.

Alice in Blunderland
18-Jul-09, 18:04
Of course, if the disease does come back more severe, and this has been guessed at not estimated, then the whole balance of risk changes.

Why..... ?

tonkatojo
18-Jul-09, 18:22
I have absolutely no intentions of becoming pregnant LOL – it was just a hypothetical question.

Anyway, back to the swine flu vaccine. If we assume it has the same effectiveness as the ordinary flu vaccine, then it may protect UP TO 70% of people (less in the elderly). Some studies seem to show that it is effective in only around 44% of people, there really doesn’t seem to be enough conclusive evidence. The experts just can’t agree on how effective it is - some think it's not very effective at all!

For the people it does work for, that’s no guarantee that they won’t catch swine flu.

Weighing up this protection against the risk of the vaccine – well nobody really knows what the risks of the vaccine are. They may be slight or they may be severe. Last time a swine flu vaccine was released the side effects were bad, a lot worse than the disease itself.

It will be tested on between 200 and 400 people, but it will be administered to pregnant women, children and the most vulnerable people BEFORE the results of that testing is available! There will be no data available on long-term risk obviously.

Bearing in mind that swine flu is a very mild illness for the majority of people, and that many people who get it have no symptoms whatsoever, I wouldn’t risk giving the vaccine to my children.

Surely using your philosophy, the vaccine will be made out of the mild version as it hasn't mutated into a nasty one yet. the risk will be no worse as you put it "mild" than catching the current version.

toodiemac
18-Jul-09, 19:20
Surely using your philosophy, the vaccine will be made out of the mild version as it hasn't mutated into a nasty one yet. the risk will be no worse as you put it "mild" than catching the current version.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but the risk from any vaccine isn't necessarily from the virus component, it's from the other ingredients they contain also. It's not the case that vaccinating against a mild illness would have fewer potential side effects than vaccinating against a really severe illness. :)

toodiemac
18-Jul-09, 19:23
Why..... ?

Because a severe disease would tip the balance more than a mild disease. That's why we don't have vaccinations for absolutely everything - because some illnesses are mild and it's not worth taking the risk with the potential side effects from a vaccination. :)

Dog-eared
18-Jul-09, 19:50
Don't know if this has been posted before, but I recently received an E-mail saying that you can catch swine flu from canned ham. Ignore it - its Spam.

tonkatojo
18-Jul-09, 20:10
Don't know if this has been posted before, but I recently received an E-mail saying that you can catch swine flu from canned ham. Ignore it - its Spam.

Good one, about time some light hearted banter on this subject.. :Razz

Fran
14-Oct-09, 18:27
I know someone who has been told it is more than likely that they have swine flu, and the doctor wears an apron and mask etc when they visit the person. How long before the swab results are ready.? The person cant go out of the house till then, and if the tests are negative the person can carry on with life outside.
Does anyone know anyone with swine flu? I must admit i have never bothered to investigate swine flu before now.

tonkatojo
14-Oct-09, 19:56
Alice seem to be the one in the know, perhaps she will chip in with some updated facts. :)

Alice in Blunderland
14-Oct-09, 23:06
Alice seem to be the one in the know, perhaps she will chip in with some updated facts. :)

http://www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/YourHealth/Documents/Swine%20Flu%20Easy%20Read%20NHSH%20Colour%20info%2 0July.pdf

http://www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/YourHealth/Pages/SwineFluTheFacts.aspx

Fran
14-Oct-09, 23:34
Very helpful link.
Does anyone know if there Are many cases in Caithness?

Stavro
15-Oct-09, 00:18
"Swine Flu" is a misnomer, as it has absolutely nothing to do with pigs. The H1N1 was produced in a laboratory. :roll:

cuddlepop
15-Oct-09, 19:41
I've got one very worried 17yearold, mother to be upstairs at her wits end.

If you were pregnant would you want to have this jab.I feel its just been rushed through and not tested properly.:confused

Stavro
15-Oct-09, 21:01
I've got one very worried 17yearold, mother to be upstairs at her wits end.

If you were pregnant would you want to have this jab.I feel its just been rushed through and not tested properly.:confused

Don't touch it with a bargepole. Very dangerous.

DOCTOR
15-Oct-09, 21:52
Don't touch it with a bargepole. Very dangerous.

Is this your professional medical opinion ?

Cuddlepop I suggest you and your daughter make an appointment with your GP and have a chat with him/her regarding your fears and worries.:)

Stavro
15-Oct-09, 23:56
Is this your professional medical opinion ?

Cuddlepop I suggest you and your daughter make an appointment with your GP and have a chat with him/her regarding your fears and worries.:)

Shout the word "DOCTOR" as much as you like, but I do not believe for one second that you have any real medical or scientific knowledge.

For those who are more inclined to open their eyes -
http://www.rense.com/general86/manmd.htm

:D

Fran
16-Oct-09, 00:00
cuddlepop, I can assure you that the advice you get from DOCTOR is the very very best. I know someone in Caithness who has been told they have swine flu and that person is extremely worried, although had the flu jab, and is in isolation, not allwed out of the house.The person should get the results of the swab tests tomorrow hopefully.
Go and see your gp.

squidge
16-Oct-09, 01:11
Shout the word "DOCTOR" as much as you like, but I do not believe for one second that you have any real medical or scientific knowledge.

And do you Stavro? Have any medical or scientific knowledge that is or do you base your opinions on what you read in rense.com. :roll:

The best place to get advice and sensible information when you are pregnant is your COMMUNITY MIDWIFE. Build a relationship with them and you wont go far wrong. Cuddlepop make sure she rings them and arranges to see them - they will be good with her i am sure. DO NOT for one minute let her read Stavros paper with it shouting murder and genocide. It will send her screaming to her room and she wont appear for the next few months!!! [disgust]

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 02:33
And do you Stavro? Have any medical or scientific knowledge that is or do you base your opinions on what you read in rense.com. :roll:

The best place to get advice and sensible information when you are pregnant is your COMMUNITY MIDWIFE. Build a relationship with them and you wont go far wrong. Cuddlepop make sure she rings them and arranges to see them - they will be good with her i am sure. DO NOT for one minute let her read Stavros paper with it shouting murder and genocide. It will send her screaming to her room and she wont appear for the next few months!!! [disgust]

So she should have foreign substances injected into her and their baby, but she must not be allowed to know what poisons, live viruses, chemical agents, ..., are in the vaccine?

She must not know that the vaccine is untested?

She must not know that the pharmaceutical company that developed the vaccine applied for a patent for it a significant time before H1N1 was "discovered"?

We are talking primarily about vaccines, not giving birth, so your comment about community midwives is somewhat irrelevant. :confused

thebigman
16-Oct-09, 06:46

For those who are more inclined to open their eyes -
http://www.rense.com/general86/manmd.htm

Having looked at the above site Mr Rense sounds like exactly the person I would run to first for medical information.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Oct-09, 08:55
Interesting site .................the small print I found in the disclaimer:

One more time...
Neither Jeff Rense nor sightings.com necessarily adhere to, or endorse, any or all of the links, stories, articles, editorials, or products offered by sponsors found on this site, or broadcast on the Jeff Rense radio program. :eek: Nice little get out clause.

We can all set up sites with information stories and articles stick on a disclaimer and away you go.

This will only cause more confusion ans worry to people who are already worried. :D

Oh and DOCTOR you can take my temperature anyday. ;)

BINBOB
16-Oct-09, 09:50
cuddlepop, I can assure you that the advice you get from DOCTOR is the very very best. I know someone in Caithness who has been told they have swine flu and that person is extremely worried, although had the flu jab, and is in isolation, not allwed out of the house.The person should get the results of the swab tests tomorrow hopefully.
Go and see your gp.

It would be the seasonal flu jab????which would not protect against swine flu???????????

It is only in the next 2 weeks that the swine flu may start to be given.

I for one will be having it...already had the seasonal flu jab.As it was a bout of seasonal flu nearly 20 years ago that left me with my multiple medical issues,I only wish I had had the flu jab then,but as a healthy person,I was not a priority.

I hope the person who is ill recovers quickly.;)

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 10:44
Interesting site .................the small print I found in the disclaimer:

One more time...
Neither Jeff Rense nor sightings.com necessarily adhere to, or endorse, any or all of the links, stories, articles, editorials, or products offered by sponsors found on this site, or broadcast on the Jeff Rense radio program. Nice little get out clause.

We can all set up sites with information stories and articles stick on a disclaimer and away you go.

This will only cause more confusion ans worry to people who are already worried. :D

Oh and DOCTOR you can take my temperature anyday. ;)

I am quite sure he does ;), also I agree about dodgy web sites and disclaimers, but thinking about it is there not disclaimers in almost every published articles and advice these days, when one goes into hospitals for operations we have to sign a disclaimer.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 11:28
So Jeff Rense isn't an expert in any field - just repeating others ideas in an emotive way to gain the attention of the poorly educated. Seems to have works eh? lol

Alice in Blunderland
16-Oct-09, 12:01
when one goes into hospitals for operations we have to sign a disclaimer.

I thought it was a consent form you signed in hospital consenting to an operation, anaesthetic etc . ;) After the doctor has explained the pros and cons.

I can just see it now the heart attack victim being wheeled through the door erm excuse me
Can you just sign this disclaimer first before we do anything ?

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 13:04
I thought it was a consent form you signed in hospital consenting to an operation, anaesthetic etc . ;) After the doctor has explained the pros and cons.

I can just see it now the heart attack victim being wheeled through the door erm excuse me
Can you just sign this disclaimer first before we do anything ?

Its been a while I thought the "consent" form included a disclaimer but I stand corrected. :(

squidge
16-Oct-09, 14:03
So she should have foreign substances injected into her and their baby, but she must not be allowed to know what poisons, live viruses, chemical agents, ..., are in the vaccine?

She must not know that the vaccine is untested?

She must not know that the pharmaceutical company that developed the vaccine applied for a patent for it a significant time before H1N1 was "discovered"?

We are talking primarily about vaccines, not giving birth, so your comment about community midwives is somewhat irrelevant. :confused

Stavro - you dont answer my questions and you misread and misunderstand my post. I am sure that wasnt deliberate so here just to clarify things for you

1. I never said she should have the vaccine nor did i say she shouldnt.

2. To be honest your "proof" reads like a poorly written novel filled with emotive words to create fear and anxiety - not a good read for any pregnant woman - they have enough fear and anxiety as it is. I genuinely would not recommend it. BY all means research the vaccine but try to find less alarmist sites - they do actually exist.

3. And really my the most important point - midwifes do not simply deal with the birth of babies and post natal care. Community midwives are pivotal in the care of a pregnant woman DURING her pregnancy. In many instances where the pregnancy is normal a woman will ONLY see her midwife for ante natal care very few visits to a hospital. For your first port of call with ANY worries about a pregnancy or about a test or whether some thing - like a VACCINE _-is safe during pregnancy you should contact your MIDWIFE. My comments about midwives is entirely relevant and actually illustrates your lack of medical knowledge quite clearly.

So lets ask it again...... Stavro, do you have any REAL medical or scientific knowledge? Lets fine tune it a bit.... Do you have the medical knowledge necessary to advise a pregnant woman on what is and is not safe for her to do during pregnancy? Do you have the expertise to point out the risks from the vaccine compared to the risks from the flu itself?

squidge
16-Oct-09, 14:14
So Jeff Rense isn't an expert in any field - just repeating others ideas in an emotive way to gain the attention of the poorly educated. Seems to have works eh? lol

Here leanne is who wikipedia say jeff rense is

Jeff Rense is an American conspiracy theorist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theorist) and radio talk-show (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_radio) host of the Jeff Rense Program, broadcast on US satellite radio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_radio) via Republic Broadcasting Network (RBN) and Internet radio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_radio).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Rense#cite_note-0)

Renses's show has been noted as being among "conspiracy-oriented Internet radio shows that often feature anti-Semites and extremists" by the Anti-Defamation League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Defamation_League), a non-profit organisation that opposes anti-semitism.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Rense#cite_note-4)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Rense

Nice lad eh?

He does deny the anti semite stuff on his own website and says he is very much pro jewish. dont think he qualifies as a medical expert though

Fran
16-Oct-09, 14:29
. :D

Oh and DOCTOR you can take my temperature anyday. ;)[/quote]

OOOOOOh Alice, you are naughty!!!!

Fran
16-Oct-09, 14:35
It is only in the next 2 weeks that the swine flu may start to be given.

The swine flu jab is now available in wick and I would urge everyone to have it. some beleive having the flu jab protects you from everything. this is not the case, it wont protect you from swine flu, you need the swine flu jab.

The person in Caithness with swine flu had the flu jab and was going back for the swine flu jab but was it was too late as the they had already contacted swine flu whilst away.People can have swine flu and not know it, they think it is a bad cold, sneezing, coughing, temperature, runny nose etc.

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 16:07
what does mr. Rense medical knowledge have to do with it? His website appears a complilation of articles from just about every newspaper in the world.. Mainstream and otherwise. Do you question george alagiahs medical knowledge when he reports on medical news for the bbc?:roll: i think cuddlepop is right. It has NOT been tested properly. I personally will be staying away from it. The swine flu vaccine contains squalene. Squalene was also in the anthrax vaccine given to all british soldiers during the gulf war. All female soldiers were advised to not get pregnant for 18 months after receiving it as for the risks of birth defects. So, why are they now recommending a vaccine containing the offending ingredient to women currently pregnant?:eek: The vaccine also contains mercury. There is NO safe amount of mercury that can be injected into the bloodstream or taken in to the body by any other method. Period. You don't need a "DOCTOR" or a doctor or a midwife to tell you that. Getting doctors and midwives advice is no bad thing but, people really need to stop blindly following "experts" whose training in the first place has been hijacked by the pharmaceutical industry over the past 70 years.

Fran
16-Oct-09, 16:19
Does anyone know how longit takes to get the results back of swineflu swab tests? It seems to take about a week but i'm not sure.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 16:45
Does anyone know how longit takes to get the results back of swineflu swab tests? It seems to take about a week but i'm not sure.

For all but the critical cases they are batching them and doing them once a week so it could take anywhere between one and two weeks to get a result depending on the day sent.

Fran
16-Oct-09, 16:47
Thats a bit long for someone who is not allowed out of their house till they get the results!!

squidge
16-Oct-09, 17:05
what does mr. Rense medical knowledge have to do with it? His website appears a complilation of articles from just about every newspaper in the world.. Mainstream and otherwise. Do you question george alagiahs medical knowledge when he reports on medical news for the bbc?:roll: i think cuddlepop is right. It has NOT been tested properly. I personally will be staying away from it. The swine flu vaccine contains squalene. Squalene was also in the anthrax vaccine given to all british soldiers during the gulf war. All female soldiers were advised to not get pregnant for 18 months after receiving it as for the risks of birth defects. So, why are they now recommending a vaccine containing the offending ingredient to women currently pregnant?:eek: The vaccine also contains mercury. There is NO safe amount of mercury that can be injected into the bloodstream or taken in to the body by any other method. Period. You don't need a "DOCTOR" or a doctor or a midwife to tell you that. Getting doctors and midwives advice is no bad thing but, people really need to stop blindly following "experts" whose training in the first place has been hijacked by the pharmaceutical industry over the past 70 years.

I think cuddlepop is right too - i think she and her pregnant daughter in law should read as much verifiable sensible scientific stuff about the vaccine as possible. I cant seem to find anything which tells me who mr A true Ott is - he wrote the article or what his phd is in or what his credentials are. Each of us needs to weigh up the risks and benefits of the vaccine for themselves and decidewith advice whether to take it or not. the best place for advice for a pregnant girl is her midwife and for the rest of us our GPS. We should take what they tell us and research it and make our own decision. No one should be blindly following anyone - GPs Midwives for example but neither should they be blindly following the advice or information peddled by people on conspiracy theory sites.

whether to have this vaccine or not is up to each individual. I wont be having it. I have spoken to my gp and read up on it and i dont think i need it. However im not pregnant - if i was the firstplace i would go to would be my midwife NOT a conspiracy site.:roll:

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 17:18
The NHS now practices evidence based medicine. A lot of things that were thought useful have been withdrawn from practice due to there not being sufficient evidence to prove their worth (but that's for another day). If the vaccine proves ineffective or as all the scare mongerers are making out then it will be removed. The NHS are cash strapped enough and looking for any way to save money...

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 17:34
i would agree that one should not take medical advice from a sole article they read on the net somewhere. I do not have a scoobie who tru ott is either however, he is just reiterating many things that are readable elsewhere.

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 17:38
Having looked at the above site Mr Rense sounds like exactly the person I would run to first for medical information.

Who said Mr Rense wrote the article? Are all the articles on the BBC web site written by the head of the BBC?

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 17:50
BY all means research the vaccine but try to find less alarmist sites - they do actually exist.

Alarm is not generated by the web site, but by the determined consequences of what is written on the web site. I could find plenty of sites where the language was not so clear, but where the facts are exactly the same - vaccine content, lack of testing, etc. - but these you would no doubt find just as alarming.

Again, it is the facts that produce alarm, and you and I seem to differ as to whether we find our interpretation of the consequences of those facts alarming or not.

I maintain that your reference to community midwives would be of relevance to child birth, not to vaccine content and effects on the unborn child, for if the vaccines are untested, then how could the midwife's opinion have any possible relevance to the issue being discussed? :confused

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 17:57
Renses's show has been noted as being among "conspiracy-oriented Internet radio shows that often feature anti-Semites and extremists" by the Anti-Defamation League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Defamation_League), a non-profit organisation that opposes anti-semitism.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Rense#cite_note-4)

He does deny the anti semite stuff on his own website and says he is very much pro jewish. dont think he qualifies as a medical expert though

Oh dear, you seem to have lost the plot a bit now. I suppose you still believe that the WTC was demolished by 19 Arabs with 4 hours Cessna experience between them, controlled by a bloke in a cave? :lol:

Margaret M.
16-Oct-09, 18:54
Based on all the research I have done, I would not take the swine flu vaccine even if the government made it mandatory. Everyone needs to do their own research (more than just asking their GP's opinion) and decide what is right for them.

A Fox News interview with Dr. Kent Hotorf, an infectious Disease Expert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLoL_-rFYNQ

His opinion is in line with a host of other reputable doctors including Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board certified neurosurgeon, author and lecturer. He recently retired from both practices to devote full time to nutritional studies and research:

An outbreak of swine flu occurred in Mexico this spring that eventually affected 4,910 Mexican citizens and resulted in 85 deaths. By the time it spread to the United States, the virus caused only mild cases of flu-like illness.

Thanks to air travel and the failure of public health officials to control travel from Mexico, the virus spread worldwide. Despite predictions of massive numbers of deaths and the arrival of doomsday, the virus has remained a relatively mild disease, something we know happens each year with flu epidemics.

Worldwide, there have only been 311 deaths out of 70,893 cases of swine flu. In the United States, 27,717 cases have resulted in 127 deaths. Every death is a tragedy, but such a low death rate should not be the basis of a draconian government policy.

It is helpful to recall that the Centers for Disease Control with the collusion of the media, constantly tell us that 36,000 people die from the flu each year, a figure that has been shown to be a lie. In this case, we are talking about 300 plus deaths for the entire world.

This virus continues to be an enigma for virologists. In the April 30, 2009 issue of Nature, a virologist was quoted as saying,“Where the hell it got all these genes from we don’t know.” Extensive analysis of the virus found that it contained the original 1918 H1N1 flu virus, the avian flu virus (bird flu), and two new H3N2 virus genes from Eurasia. Debate continues over the possibility that swine flu is a genetically engineered virus.

Naturally, vaccine manufacturers have been in a competitive battle to produce the first vaccine. The main contenders have been Baxter Pharmaceuticals and Novartis Pharmaceuticals, the latter of which recently acquired the scandal-ridden Chiron vaccine company. Both of these companies have had agreements with the World Health Organization to produce a pandemic vaccine.

The Baxter vaccine, called Celvapan, has had fast track approval. It uses a new vero cell technology, which utilizes cultured cells from the African green monkey. This same animal tissue transmits a number of vaccine-contaminating viruses, including the HIV virus.

The Baxter company has been associated with two deadly scandals. The first event occurred in 2006 when hemophiliac components were contaminated with HIV virus and injected in tens of thousands of people, including thousands of children. Baxter continued to release the HIV contaminated vaccine even after the contamination was known.

The second event occurred recently when it was discovered that Baxter had released a seasonal flu vaccine containing the bird flu virus, which would have produced a real world pandemic, to 18 countries. Fortunately, astute lab workers in the Czech Republic discovered the deadly combination and blew the whistle before a worldwide disaster was unleashed.

Despite these two deadly events, WHO maintains an agreement with Baxter Pharmaceuticals to produce the world’s pandemic vaccine. Novartis, the second contender, also has an agreement with WHO for a pandemic vaccine. Novartis appears to have won the contract, since their vaccine is near completion. What is terrifying is that these pandemic vaccines contain ingredients, called immune adjuvants that a number of studies have shown cause devastating autoimmune disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and lupus.

Animal studies using this adjuvant have found them to be deadly. A study using 14 guinea pigs found that when they were injected with the special adjuvant, only one animal survived. A repeat of the study found the same deadly outcome.

So, what is this deadly ingredient? It is called squalene, a type of oil. The Chiron company, maker of the deadly anthrax vaccine, makes an adjuvant called MF-59 which contains two main ingredients of concern—squalene and gp120. A number of studies have shown that squalene can trigger all of the above-mentioned autoimmune diseases when injected.

The MF-59 adjuvant has been used in several vaccines. These vaccines, including tetanus and diphtheria, are the same vaccines frequently associated with adverse reactions.

I reviewed a number of studies on this adjuvant and found something quite interesting. Several studies done on human test subjects found MF-59 to be a very safe immune adjuvant. But when I checked to see who did these studies, I found—to no surprise—that they were done by the Novartis Pharmaceutical Company and Chiron Pharmaceutical Company, which have merged. They were all published in “prestigious” medical journals. Also, to no surprise, a great number of studies done by independent laboratories and research institutions all found a strong link between MF-59 and autoimmune diseases.

Squalene in vaccines has been strongly linked to the Gulf War Syndrome. On August 1991, Anthony Principi, Secretary of Veterans Affairs admitted that soldiers vaccinated with the anthrax vaccine from 1990 to 1991 had an increased risk of 200 percent in developing the deadly disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also called Lou Gehrig’s disease. The soldiers also suffered from a number of debilitating and life-shortening diseases, such as polyarteritis nodosa, multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus, transverse myelitis (a neurological disorder caused by inflammation of the spinal cord), endocarditis (inflammation of the heart’s inner lining), optic neuritis with blindness and glomerulonephritis (a type of kidney disease).

Because squalene, the main ingredient in MF-59, can induce hyperimmune responses and induce autoimmunity, a real danger exists for prolonged activation of the brain’s immune cells, the microglia. This type of prolonged activation has been strongly associated with such diseases as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, ALS and possibly vaccine-related encephalitis. It has been shown that activation of the systemic immune system, as occurs with vaccination, rapidly activates the brain’s microglia at the same time, and this brain inflammation can persist for long periods.

So, how would the gp120 get into the brain? Studies of other immune adjuvants using careful tracer techniques have shown that they routinely enter the brain following vaccination. What most people do not know, even the doctors who recommend the vaccines, is that most such studies by pharmaceutical companies observe the patients for only one to two weeks following vaccination—these types of reactions may take months or even years to manifest.

It is obvious that the vaccine manufacturers stand to make billions of dollars in profits from this WHO/government-promoted pandemic. Novartis, the maker of the new pandemic vaccine, recently announced that they would not give free vaccines to impoverished nations—everybody pays.

One must keep in mind that once the vaccine is injected, there is little you can do to protect yourself—at least by conventional medicine. It will mean a lifetime of crippling illness and early death.

There are much safer ways to protect oneself from this flu virus, such as higher doses of vitamin D3, selective immune enhancement using supplements, and a good diet.

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 18:59
I really do not see the need for the hysteria being spoken on this subject.
The only person I would take advice from would be initially my GP who will be administering the inoculation.
There will inevitably be the few that will have a side effect/reaction and these will be noted and no doubt be acted upon by the authorities. I do not think the powers that be would allow this mass inoculation to go ahead if the benefits do not outweigh the risks. Hopefully I will receive mine next week. :(.
Yes we will now hear from the scaremongers about past inoculations and how they all new someone that died or had a leg drop off as the result of things years ago, but its like remember the Alamo and tosh like that, lets move on either take it or leave it.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 19:42
I've spotted two major things that are incorrect in the blue text which allows me to discredit the author in my own mind as someone who is not an expert in the field ;)

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 19:53
I've spotted two major things that are incorrect in the blue text which allows me to discredit the author in my own mind as someone who is not an expert in the field ;)

Did you actually read all that, I speed read it and saw all the numbers whilst doing it and said forget it. I'll stick to my doc's advice and own intuition thanks.

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 19:58
Based on all the research I have done, I would not take the swine flu vaccine even if the government made it mandatory. Everyone needs to do their own research (more than just asking their GP's opinion) and decide what is right for them.

A Fox News interview with Dr. Kent Hotorf, an infectious Disease Expert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLoL_-rFYNQ

His opinion is in line with a host of other reputable doctors including Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board certified neurosurgeon, author and lecturer. He recently retired from both practices to devote full time to nutritional studies and research:

Thanks for that, Margaret M., very worthwhile information for each of us to reason and research upon for ourselves.

Like you, and a very large number of "health professionals," I will NOT be taking these foreign and dangerous substances into my blood stream.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 20:12
Did you actually read all that, I speed read it and saw all the numbers whilst doing it and said forget it. I'll stick to my doc's advice and own intuition thanks.

I speed read it and found two obvious errors. If I had read it fully I'm sure I could have found more lol

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 20:14
Thanks for that, Margaret M., very worthwhile information for each of us to reason and research upon for ourselves.

The only thing worthwhile is it is a starting point for you to research as to how accurate (or not) the information is. Why is it that "cooks" like this are believed but the people with real information are labelled corrupt?

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 20:19
tonka. The powers that be who decide if there is a mass vaccination program WILL benefit. Those who decide are NOT the government. It is the joint committee on vaccination and immunisation. The JVCI 's memberlist is choc a bloc with people who have financial interests in the vaccine manufacturers.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 20:23
tonka. The powers that be who decide if there is a mass vaccination program WILL benefit. Those who decide are NOT the government. It is the joint committee on vaccination and immunisation. The JVCI 's memberlist is choc a bloc with people who have financial interests in the vaccine manufacturers.

... and NICE are the people who make the official recommendations to the government - and it is all about saving money...Mass vaccination programme when the NHS is cash strapped - not a decision taken lightly

Advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation
on swine flu vaccination
Friday 7 August 2009

1. JCVI further considered the evidence regarding a swine flu vaccination
programme.

2. JCVI noted that, based on the current evidence, the highest rates for
severe disease are in:

• People with underlying health conditions; and

• Pregnant women

3. The Committee confirmed that the primary objective of a swine flu
vaccination programme is to reduce mortality and morbidity.

4. The Committee appreciates that the Government has decided to procure
sufficient vaccine for the whole population. However, the vaccine will not
be available for the entire population at once. Therefore the Committee
advised that that the following groups should be prioritised for vaccination
in the following order once the vaccine has been licensed

i. Individuals aged between six months and up to 65 years in the
current seasonal flu vaccine clinical at-risk groups*
ii. All pregnant women, subject to licensing conditions on trimesters
iii. Household contacts of immunocompromised individuals
iv. People aged 65 and over in the current seasonal flu vaccine
clinical at-risk groups

* the current definition of asthma used for the seasonal flu vaccination programme should be used.

5. These groups have been selected because they are at highest risk of
severe illness.

6. The committee advised that the pandemic flu vaccine could be co-
administered with all other vaccines including seasonal influenza and
childhood vaccines.

7. The Committee supported the proposed early use of the licensed vaccine
in frontline health and social care workers because they are at increased
personal risk of infection and of transmitting that infection to susceptible
patients; and because this will help to maintain the resilience of the NHS.
It was noted that frontline health and social care workers would be offered
vaccine at the same time as the first clinical risk groups.

8. The Committee advised that subsequent use of the vaccine in the wider
healthy population should depend on the evolution of the pandemic as
well as new and emerging clinical data on the use of the vaccine. This
should be kept under review.

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 20:27
leanne... Do give us the 'real information' then?! :roll: margaret m. I'm with you. Even if mandatory i will still refuse.

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 20:28

That might be so, but I will still think my doc has the savvy to tell me if its right or wrong for me.
Perhaps your right, is that why the people that were poisoned by MERC VIOXX were denied compensation, but the Americans got paid out ?, or is this a different thing.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 20:31
leanne... Do give us the 'real information' then?! :roll: margaret m. I'm with you. Even if mandatory i will still refuse.

You were the one who mentioned the jcvi ;) I quoted their stance on swine flu and their recommendations to the government. It's all public and on the net under the freedom of information act. The HPV one is there too (though thats a bit meatier..)

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 20:35
wrong. Regulations passed in april 2009 says the gov does what jcvi say. Try an keep up.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 21:06
wrong. Regulations passed in april 2009 says the gov does what jcvi say. Try an keep up.

Eh??? I never said that they didn't - my quote of you was an addition and clarification of your statement - support. I think you have misread my post...Try and keep up ;)

squidge
16-Oct-09, 21:22
Again, it is the facts that produce alarm, and you and I seem to differ as to whether we find our interpretation of the consequences of those facts alarming or not.

Ok Stavro - again you dont answer my questions but hey ho... I'll address your issues..... If you compare your link for the rense.com site to the information that MargaretM posted you can see the difference. There are no alarmist words like "murder" and "genocide" It gives the same or similar information without (metaphorically speaking) running around with its hands in the air screaming "oh my god they want to kill us ALL" Which rense.com does. It gives us information which is easily digestible and comprehensible and whch we can sift and decide whether we beleive it or not. It doesnt throw in all this stuff about illuminati and the threat that this is a cover for the rise of another Adolf Hitler. IT gives you suggestons to increase your vitamin intake and improve your diet without screaming "its a conspiracy to commit mass murder". Rense.com uses alarmist language and Margaret Ms link is much more sensible.

I maintain that your reference to community midwives would be of relevance to child birth, not to vaccine content and effects on the unborn child, for if the vaccines are untested, then how could the midwife's opinion have any possible relevance to the issue being discussed? :confused

Firstly i would expect the midwife to understand why i was so scared and to be able to help me see things more clearly. They would do this by having some statistics about how likely i was to contract swine flu, what the consequenses could be - for example how likely am i to die if i contract swine flu. I would expect the midwife to be able to tell me what the side effects of treatment of swine flu are and what effect the treatment would have on me and my unborn child. I would also expect my midwife to tell me what information she has been given about the vaccine, its safety and its effect on me and my baby. As a midwife he or she would have the most up to date medical information - they are a specialist in the field of pregnancy. As a professional they are unlikely to tell you something that is not true so if the vaccines are untested and the evidence is not there she will have to tell me that the information is not available. That in itself informs and enables me to make a decision based on sound advice from reliable sources.

So their professional opionion is important when deciding about the vaccine for example ....

Supposing a midwife told you - we are expecting this number of cases so you have an 80% chance of catching swine flu and if you catch swine flu then evidence so far tells us that 70% of pregnant women who catch swine flu are likely to die. There is a vaccine that is available but we are not certain yet of any long term effects.

Then suppose the midwife told you " You have a 0.05% chance of catching swine flu and if you do then only 1% of pregnant women with swine flu die. We can offer you a vaccine but we are not certain of any long term effects.

You might make different decisions if faced with this information. Factual and not alarmist. This is the sort of information a midwife should be able to tell you and they are best because they have the greatest understanding of how a pregnant woman feels and behaves.

Whilst the opinion of a midwife wont have any relevance to you - you are neither a woman nor are you pregnant -it will be very relevant to a pregnant 17 year old.

More relvant than your opinion anyway - ooh unless you are a midwife???? But then you dont answer questions about YOUR medical or scientific expertise - you just slag off DOCTOR for theirs:roll:

squidge
16-Oct-09, 21:24
Oh dear, you seem to have lost the plot a bit now. I suppose you still believe that the WTC was demolished by 19 Arabs with 4 hours Cessna experience between them, controlled by a bloke in a cave? :lol:

oooooooh lets try a dance off into another conspiracy theory - you must think you are flogging a dead horse here and STILL you dont answer my questions.

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn Fred was SOOOOOO much better at this than you

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 21:25
my point is it is the jcvi who decide to vaccinate the population. The government passed a regulation giving them these powers. Essentially, they have put the decision into the hands of the vaccine makers themselves. A rather easy decision me thinks... Nice have little to do with it.

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 21:34
squidge, just to say, rense compiles varying angles on issues. Dr. Blaylocks (margaret m. Post) stuff is all over his site too. If you are interested in the vitamin d... Jeff rense did a very interesting interview with dr. Cantrell who researches vitamin d and it is a free download.

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 21:44
Margaret Ms link is much more sensible.

'Sensible' is of course a subjective term, but I think that you should agree that the two sites are saying the same things.

You take exception to a site which openly uses terms such as 'murder' and 'genocide'. Are you aware of the evidence that Spanish flu was deliberately spread? Are you aware that victims of Spanish flu were dug up from mass graves in order to extract material to use in H1N1 production? Are you aware that injecting squalene into the blood stream can be lethal? Are you aware of the profits that pharmaceutical companies are going to make from these vaccines?

Well, you are now.

Don't get too hung up over "conspiracy theories," squidge; it must just be bad luck that 20,000,000 died in the Spanish flu "outbreak."

Enjoy your vaccine!

squidge
16-Oct-09, 21:44
I might just do that roadbowler but im telling you - i find hysteria mind numbingly boring - once the screaming starts they have lost the arguments as far as i can see

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 22:14
I might just do that roadbowler but im telling you - i find hysteria mind numbingly boring - once the screaming starts they have lost the arguments as far as i can see

Tell me about it - see the post above you. Sometimes they do give quite eloquent posts but quite frequently just come across as... well that is evident for everyone to see lol

squidge
16-Oct-09, 22:16
'Sensible' is of course a subjective term, but I think that you should agree that the two sites are saying the same things.

You take exception to a site which openly uses terms such as 'murder' and 'genocide'. Are you aware of the evidence that Spanish flu was deliberately spread? Are you aware that victims of Spanish flu were dug up from mass graves in order to extract material to use in H1N1 production? Are you aware that injecting squalene into the blood stream can be lethal? Are you aware of the profits that pharmaceutical companies are going to make from these vaccines?

Well, you are now.

Don't get too hung up over "conspiracy theories," squidge; it must just be bad luck that 20,000,000 died in the Spanish flu "outbreak."

Enjoy your vaccine!

Still no answers???? Just more of the same!!! You disappoint me. the sites only say SOME of the same things - i see no mention in the link Margaret posted of the illuminati, the swiss guard and the suggestion that this is a plot by elite financiers who have been waiting underground since the downfall of the third reich so that

their godless agenda to liquidate BILLIONS of people could be successfully implemented. Margaret's link gives you the information about the vaccine and allows you to digest it without all the hysterics in the rense.com site. I take no exception to any site that mentions genocide and murder unless they are being alarmist and hysterical like the link you posted.

Finally Stavro I have never said i beleive this particular vaccine is safe and i have actually said during this discussion that I wont be having the vaccine. I have done my research and made my decision. What i have done is question YOUR credentials for giving advice about this vaccine and for questionsing the medical knowledge of DOCTOR. I have also offered my opinions about where to get the best advice from if you are 17, pregnant andscared witless - you disagreed with me and YOU seem to think you know better than anyone else - especially those who are medically qualified, It is surprising then that you seem loath to share your medical or scientific credentials with us. All you have done is posted a link to an article filled with alarmist statements about mass genocide. But thats ok... i can accept that you dont find the rense article alarmist and scaremongering and are prepared to accept it as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thats up to you - I hope you have dug your bunker and got your supplies in.

oh i just had a thought - could it be that you have NO medical, scientific credentials which give your advice some credence? Could it also be that you arent a 17 year old, pregnant, scared young girl or maybe you arent even an old wifie who has had five babies and knows how it feels to be weighing up decisions about unborn children and how it feels to be scared and anxious during a pregnancy and knows where the best advice to be had is?

Could it be you have a penchant for this type of article and feel that you need to enlighten all us stupid ignorant people as to how gullible and ridiculous you are.... sorry... you think we are?

Alice in Blunderland
16-Oct-09, 22:44
but I do not believe for one second that you have any real medical or scientific knowledge.

A real DOCTOR mmmmmm let me think for a momment........ medical, scientific knowledge mmmmmmmmmmmm oh this is hard .........yip I think I can safely hazzard a guess that the ahem DOCTOR is a doctor.

I know Fran Im naughty but I love it.;)

All banter aside anyone with any concerns regarding Swine flu, vaccinations or anything else concerning their health, pop along to your GP, Midwife, (who Squidge has quite rightly pointed out is a great source of info for the mummys to be or mums ) or Practice Nurse. They will only be to happen to listen to your concerns and give you advice. Its then down to the individual whether they take it or not. :)

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 23:05
Finally Stavro I have never said i beleive this particular vaccine is safe and i have actually said during this discussion that I wont be having the vaccine. I have done my research and made my decision.

That's great, squidge, I knew that you would see sense eventually. :D

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 23:05
well, to be frank, i find the mainstream media uproar scaremongering over the well lets see, sars, bird flu, swine flu, 'normal' flu to be just as bad as the hysterics of articles like some mentioned. Let's face it. The risks involved with the current status of swine flu are not deserved of a rash decision to vaccinate millions of people with an untested vaccine containing known toxins. I think it is complete madness. Furthermore, a gp or midwife or any medical experts have no business recommending a vaccine they know nothing about. That is the truth of it. They know nothing about it except what the manufacturers tell them. Why would anyone take advice on whether to have a vaccine from pharmaceutical companies and their representatives? if you want to ask your gp something ask them what the safe level of mercury in the body is.

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 23:06
DOCTOR is a doctor.

And a rather close family member perhaps?

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 23:08
Furthermore, a gp or midwife or any medical experts have no business recommending a vaccine they know nothing about. That is the truth of it. They know nothing about it except what the manufacturers tell them. Why would anyone take advice on whether to have a vaccine from pharmaceutical companies and their representatives? if you want to ask your gp something ask them what the safe level of mercury in the body is.

I agree entirely, roadbowler.

squidge
16-Oct-09, 23:12
That's great, squidge, I knew that you would see sense eventually. :D

Well its a good job one of us does....Guess what - I spoke to properly qualified and experienced people before making my decision... didnt bother with your advice much as there are Still no answers stavro. In addition I am glad to see you have stopped making recommendations about the vaccine and started writing posts which avoid answering any questions:roll: I guess there is no answer that could show that you any credentials to be advising people on vaccinations so we are all of us winners on that score.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Oct-09, 23:12
And a rather close family member perhaps?

Its no secret on the org that Im married to DOCTOR. ;)

squidge
16-Oct-09, 23:16
well, to be frank, i find the mainstream media uproar scaremongering over the well lets see, sars, bird flu, swine flu, 'normal' flu to be just as bad as the hysterics of articles like some mentioned.

I absolutely agree roadbowler - i said as much weeks ago. I will be concerned about it when it warrants being concerned about it. I dont need a vaccination but there are some people who may feel they do and they dont need scaring to death - they need logical sensible discussion from people who they trust

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 23:21
Its no secret on the org that Im married to DOCTOR. ;)

No problem getting your temperature taken then? Hope you don't get "DOCTOR" shouted in your ear at the same time. ;)

Stavro
16-Oct-09, 23:24
I spoke to properly qualified and experienced people before making my decision... didnt bother with your advice much ... so we are all of us winners on that score.

Yep, either way you reached the right decision. Well done squidge! :D

crayola
16-Oct-09, 23:38
I cant seem to find anything which tells me who mr A true Ott is - he wrote the article or what his phd is in or what his credentials are.

Here's what he sells: Mother Earth Minerals Inc (http://www.meminerals.com/)

His credentials: About A. True Ott PhD ND (http://labvirus.wordpress.com/a-bit-about-a-true-ott-phd-nd/)

But his really, really important revelation must be his discovery about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) sometimes known as the Mormon Church: Exposing Satanism... Witchcraft... and the Satanic New World Order (http://www.exposingsatanism.org/mormons.htm)

Satanic Child Sacrificing Rituals First Reported At Vatican And Now At LDS Temple In Salt Lake City

A.True Ott, excommunicated by the Mormon Church for his controversial research, says he experienced death threats trying to get at the truth behind deep-seeded corruption in U.S. government and LDS hierarchy. Satanic influences abound and corruption must stop in order to avert World War III, claims Ott in his upcoming book 'Free At Last.

True Ott, a former Mormon excommunicated from the LDS church, woke up one morning at his Cedar City, Utah, home to find a large red cross or X painted on his doorstep.

And this evil sign, according to Ott, is the LDS's symbolic equivalent to the KKK's cross-burning tactics used against Southern Blacks.

Although waking-up to a blood-red cross is terrifying, it was only the beginning of the church-led terror campaign he experienced once "crossing LDS leaders," as his life was subsequently threatened on several other occasions for getting too close to LDS top secrets.

Exposing Satanism... Witchcraft... and the Satanic New World Order (http://www.exposingsatanism.org/mormons.htm)
If true, these revelations about the Mormons are far worse than mild risks from flu vaccines, and they are worrying for those of us who practise the dark arts because they taint our practices and suggest to the general public that we are still in the dark ages.

Stavro
17-Oct-09, 01:06
Have a browse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmCcU9jFilA

crayola
17-Oct-09, 01:11
Thank you! I've been forced to work with a mad megalomaniac for the last couple of months and I knew he reminded me of someone but I couldn't work out who it was. It's David Icke! I'm not sure which of the pair is more self-centred and more deluded but I'm happy because it's been bugging me since the end of July. :)

Aaldtimer
17-Oct-09, 03:40
I've been following this thread with interest, largely because of the concerns I have about my own health problems which might preclude me from having the vaccination.
But a wee thought came to me, and I thought I might ask a question.
How many of you anti-vaccination folks have tattoos?

Margaret M.
17-Oct-09, 03:52
I've spotted two major things that are incorrect in the blue text which allows me to discredit the author in my own mind as someone who is not an expert in the field

If you check Dr. Blaylock’s CV, you will find that he is highly qualified and highly regarded but please, share your findings with us.

His report was written several months ago so obviously the numbers have changed but that has no bearing on the credibility of his report.

Margaret M.
17-Oct-09, 04:03
I've been following this thread with interest, largely because of the concerns I have about my own health problems which might preclude me from having the vaccination.
But a wee thought came to me, and I thought I might ask a question.

I'm not anti-vaccination but I am absolutely opposed to pharmaceutical companies rushing products to market before they are thoroughly tested.

Neither anti-vaccination nor tattooed.

Leanne
17-Oct-09, 09:59
If you check Dr. Blaylock’s CV, you will find that he is highly qualified and highly regarded but please, share your findings with us.

His report was written several months ago so obviously the numbers have changed but that has no bearing on the credibility of his report.

All a CV shows is that he is good at "bigging himself up" lol

The main thing that made me laugh was him referring to the injections that heamophiliacs receive as vaccines - it is entirely incorrect and only mentioned to scare monger. It is a completely different situation. The are clotting factor replacement and the problem was that they were contaminated with HIV (before HIV was widely known about). Nothing to do with adjuvants like he claims :roll:

roadbowler
17-Oct-09, 13:06
leanne, please google "bayer exposed hiv" youtube video will come up. Try that.

Leanne
17-Oct-09, 15:39
leanne, please google "bayer exposed hiv" youtube video will come up. Try that.

But it isn't a vaccine - it is a replacement of a clotting factor that is missing due to genetic reasons. To equate it to the Swine Flu vaccine, and indeed call it a vaccine, is misleading at the very least. It is incorrect for that reason and thus I do not hold much value in that source of information. It is a well known fact that the factor 8 was contaminated with HIV - factor 8 was in use before anyone even knew what HIV was and the fact that fractionated blood products could transmit it. There was no conspiracy - it was an accident that stemmed from a "new" virus rearing its ugly head, just like nvCJD means that all blood plasma is now sourced from the US - our own was considered good enough until there were doubts about transmission. There was no conspiracy - just things change in response to new diseases.

Stavro
17-Oct-09, 16:37

Like Margaret M., I am not anti-vaccine per se, nor do I have a tattoo.

For an amusing piece of American propaganda see -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASibLqwVbsk&feature=related

Note the bit where the sweet commentator says, "But she died. But before she died, ..."

Moi x
18-Oct-09, 00:11
I wondered if you could help me with a little project I have.

Have you had swine flu?

If you've had it, how was it diagnosed and how did the diagnosis affect you? Were you prescribed drugs and do you feel they helped?

Yes, I know, this project isn't at all scientific, but it's not meant to be.

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

M R
18-Oct-09, 00:26
I've had it twice, both cases were diagnosed by means of thermometer, i will let you imagine where.

I decided to self prescribed myself tami-flu bought from ebay, and to be honest, iv'e never felt better scince, can recomend the seller should anyone need any.

Hope this helps

joxville
18-Oct-09, 00:26
Are you Crayola's better looking sister? Those are the sort of questions she would ask. :eek:

To answer to your question, no, I haven't had the swine flu.

joxville
18-Oct-09, 00:28
I've had it twice, both cases were diagnosed by means of thermometer, i will let you imagine where.

I decided to self prescribed myself tami-flu bought from ebay, and to be honest, iv'e never felt better scince, can recomend the seller should anyone need any.

Hope this helps

Has it affected your eyesight?

M R
18-Oct-09, 00:40
It's hard to tel, my eye sight wasn't all that good in the 1st place. I'm sure it's affected my sense of smell tho.

Margaret M.
18-Oct-09, 01:10
Leanne you are swatting flies while there are elephants running around. You said you did not read the entire report and it is very obvious that you didn't.

To equate it to the Swine Flu vaccine, and indeed call it a vaccine, is misleading at the very least.

He absolutely did not equate it to the swine flu vaccine. He is pointing out that Baxter, one of the vaccine manufacturers, has been associated with two very serious scandals.

There was no conspiracy - it was an accident that stemmed from a "new" virus rearing its ugly head

No conspiracy???:

"In 2006 it was revealed that Bayer and Baxter absolutely knew that their injection drug, which was used by hemophiliacs, was contaminated with the HIV virus. Internal documents prove that after they positively knew that the drug was contaminated, they took it off the U.S. market only to dump it on the European, Asian and Latin American markets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg-52mHIjhs), knowingly exposing thousands, most of them children, to the live HIV virus. Government officials in France went to prison for allowing the drug to be distributed. The documents show that the FDA colluded with Bayer to cover-up the scandal and allowed the deadly drug to be distributed globally. No Bayer executives ever faced arrest or prosecution in the United States."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spnEaO3yumk

And just last December, vaccines contaminated with deadly live avian flu virus were distributed to 18 countries by a Baxter lab in Austria.
“It was only by providence that the batch was first tested on ferrets in the Czech Republic, before being shipped out for injection into humans. The ferrets all died and the shocking discovery was made.
Czech newspapers immediately questioned whether the events were part of a conspiracy to deliberately provoke a pandemic, following up on accusations already made by health officials in other countries.
Initially, Baxter attempted to stonewall questions by invoking “trade secrets” and refused to reveal how the vaccines were contaminated with H5N1. After increased pressure they then claimed that pure H5N1 batches were sent by accident.”

How can anyone put their trust in this lot?

M R
18-Oct-09, 01:14
I don't understand what you mean, the guy has great feedback !

Margaret M.
18-Oct-09, 01:15
I do not think the powers that be would allow this mass inoculation to go ahead if the benefits do not outweigh the risks

A scientist who advises the Government on swine flu is a paid director of a drugs firm making hundreds of millions of pounds from the pandemic.
Professor Sir Roy Anderson sits on the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), a 20-strong task force drawing up the action plan for the virus.
Yet he also holds a £116,000-a-year post on the board of GlaxoSmithKline, the company selling swine flu vaccines and anti-virals to the NHS.
Sir Roy faced demands to step down yesterday amid claims that the jobs were incompatible. 'This is a clear conflict of interest and should be of great concern to taxpayers and government officials alike,' said Matthew Elliott of the TaxPayers' Alliance.
'You cannot have the man in charge of medical emergencies having any financial interest in the management of those emergencies. We need someone totally unbiased to tackle this crisis.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202389/Government-virus-expert-paid-116k-swine-flu-vaccine-manufacturers.html#ixzz0UEnp22Sj (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202389/Government-virus-expert-paid-116k-swine-flu-vaccine-manufacturers.html#ixzz0UEnp22Sj)

Stavro
18-Oct-09, 01:18

Hope this helps

eBay, I assume that you are joking! Who would trust purchasing a medicinal product from the internet? Could be dodgy. :roll:

M R
18-Oct-09, 01:22
also quite weird how i replyed to your question after it was posted and it shows before..............or maybe i am phychic

I am not sugesting anyone follows my leed, each to thier own, it worked for me.

Stavro
18-Oct-09, 01:38
also quite weird how i replyed to your question after it was posted and it shows before..............or maybe i am phychic

Well spotted, nothing much wrong with your eyesight and perhaps you are a bit psychic too! :lol:

grumpy1
18-Oct-09, 01:40
ive had it for the past 15yrs....just can't seem to get rid of him lol[disgust]

Fran
18-Oct-09, 01:44

Hope this helps
.................................................. ........................................
How can you be diagnosed with a thermometer. You are diagnosed with swabs taking samples from nose and throat and sent away. also you would have been given tamiflu there and then, and most likely steroids and antibiotics.

M R
18-Oct-09, 02:02
Next you'll be telling me all i had was man-flu not the swine..........

Fran
18-Oct-09, 02:10
Have you got a squigly tail and a big nose yet? If so youve got the swine flu!!!!

M R
18-Oct-09, 02:18
I get told i have a big nose all the time :eek:

I feel fine

http://cosmincristescu.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/pigman.jpg

M R
18-Oct-09, 03:51
Is a moderator messing with the order of the posts drunk ? or is this new server\forum not workin correctly. Or have i got so drunk off 2 bottles of carlsberg that i don't know whats going on here.

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 10:44
.................................................. ........................................
How can you be diagnosed with a thermometer. You are diagnosed with swabs taking samples from nose and throat and sent away. also you would have been given tamiflu there and then, and most likely steroids and antibiotics.
I really do not think anyone[ unless they have underlying chest problems] would be given steroids.

Tamiflu may be given,but antibiotics are for bacterial infections,not viruses[which flu is.]

For secondary infections,antibiotics probably would be given.;)

Fran
18-Oct-09, 14:43
The person I know with swine flu is on75mg of oseltamivir..tamiflu, one twice a day and prednisolone steroids 8 a day and amoxicillin 500 4 a day plus 8 paracetomol 500mg tablets a day for swine flu, then other pills the person has to take.

Fran
18-Oct-09, 14:48
The same thing happened at rockness. Folk came back with flu like symtoms. A girl i know was at rockness came home with mostly same symptoms, was tested for swine flu and told by doc until results came back, in 3 days time to stay indoors and not to go to work.

gladly the results came back fine and was just a bug.

I can assure you that the swab results take a lot longer than 3 days to come back.

Leanne
18-Oct-09, 14:51
The person I know with swine flu is on75mg of oseltamivir..tamiflu, one twice a day and prednisolone steroids 8 a day and amoxicillin 500 4 a day plus 8 paracetomol 500mg tablets a day for swine flu, then other pills the person has to take.

Then surely that is because of an infection secondary to the Swine flu. To prescribe antibiotics for swine flu is a nonsense...

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 15:18

Wow....poor thing..but sounds like this person maybe has underlying health issues.Hope they get better soon.;)

Fran
18-Oct-09, 17:34
Then surely that is because of an infection secondary to the Swine flu. To prescribe antibiotics for swine flu is a nonsense...

Swine flu is a virus that affects the lungs causing coughing and breathing problems, which is one of the symptons of swine flu, hence the antiobiotics which are used to treat swine flu patients who develop complications. they help combat bacterial infection, such as pneumoina which this person had before nearly 2 years ago. they dont want to hospilise swine flu patients due to spread of infection. this person is seen daily or phoned daily by their gp.
The NHS has ordered over 15 million courses of antibiotics for swine flu patients.

Leanne
18-Oct-09, 17:43
The NHS has ordered over 15 million courses of antibiotics for swine flu patients.

And will likely develop many more multi-drug resistant strains of bacteria as a result :roll: (there's no head-slap smiley...)

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 17:43
Swine flu is a virus that affects the lungs causing coughing and breathing problems, which is one of the symptons of swine flu, hence the antiobiotics which are used to treat swine flu patients who develop complications. they help combat bacterial infection, such as pneumoina which this person had before nearly 2 years ago. they dont want to hospilise swine flu patients due to spread of infection. this person is seen daily or phoned daily by their gp.
If the poor person is ill and needs so much medication........then I would say the best place for them is in hospital.It must be horrid if they are on their own 24/7.Hospitals surely have isolation facilities!!!:roll:

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 17:45
I am also very keen to know where u get all of information??out of curiosity.......are u a nurse/Dr. or maybe just have folk u know like them>>>:roll:

Leanne
18-Oct-09, 17:45
Hospitals surely have isolation facilities!!!:roll:

Not small ones like Wick with only 4 wards in the main hospital - and one of those being maternity lol

The NHS wants to keep people away from hospital if the virus can be managed at home to prevent infection of the "high-risk" groups who may die if they catch it...

Fran
18-Oct-09, 17:49
I tried to send you a pm Binbob but it states you dont accept messages.
All i can say is, this person has pets they dont want to leave,so does not want to go into hospital which would add further stress. and can occupy themself at home though the person is very lonely.the person is visited daily by the gp and medication has been delivered by the chemist after the gp faxes them through,the person is not allowed out of the house due to infection and is in "isolation" but out of desperation the person has gone for a run in the car and taken the dog for a walk round a nearby field.The person also reads caithness org and the computer passes the time.

Fran
18-Oct-09, 17:50
Not small ones like Wick with only 4 wards in the main hospital - and one of those being maternity lol

The NHS wants to keep people away from hospital if the virus can be managed at home to prevent infection of the "high-risk" groups who may die if they catch it...

Caithness General does have isolation rooms in the wards. You will often see a singleroom in the ward with infection notice on the door and aprons gloves sprays etc outside for staff to change into before entering.

Leanne
18-Oct-09, 18:09
Caithness General does have isolation rooms in the wards. You will often see a singleroom in the ward with infection notice on the door and aprons gloves sprays etc outside for staff to change into before entering.
Yes but not enough to start isolating everyone with swine flu - I'd say they're best kept for MRSA and C Diff which are much bigger killers. Also there is no guarantee that the infection isn't going to be spread even with isolation :(

Fran
18-Oct-09, 18:12
Thats why it is best to keep swine flu patients at home, and some towns have swine flu buddies, volunteers who will deliver prescriptions and shopping to swine flu patients take dogs out post ltters etc.
Unfortunately there isnt this service in Caithness.

unicorn
18-Oct-09, 18:15
Well surely this is the best place to organise the buddy system and if this poor person is on the org they should not be afraid or too proud to ask for the help of other orgers.
That is how it always used to work around here maybe it is time to get the community back into this forum and only the members can do this.

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 18:40

I realise that ..and I am in the HIGH RISK group,unfortunately.Have been told that swine flu vacc. should be given in next 2/3 weeks.;)

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 18:42

Yes,saw that ,when I was an inmate.

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 18:43
Well surely this is the best place to organise the buddy system and if this poor person is on the org they should not be afraid or too proud to ask for the help of other orgers.
That is how it always used to work around here maybe it is time to get the community back into this forum and only the members can do this.

Very well said.....;)

Fran
18-Oct-09, 18:54

Ver well said Unicorn, and i totally agree. It is how it used to be, but things have changed, people have changed, i dont think people help out others like they used to. In the case of swine flu, patients are too embarrased to say what they have as they get made fun of, also people wont go near them, they think they have the plague or black death. Its not like that. As long as that person is not coughing and sneezing all over you and preferably wears a mask or scarf, then you are ok, People could still help by shopping, could always leave it on the garden wall, and put prescriptions through the letterbox, maybe take some used magazines around and leave them on the doorstep.Take the dog out, all these sort of things could be done for the patient by budies. It is depressing enough to have swine flu and be in isolation cut off from the world, without people .ignoring you, not phoning you.I would certainly like to be a buddy to someone in this awful predicament,

unicorn
18-Oct-09, 18:59
I am not sure about the walking the dog bit as I assume it could patentially have been coughed and sneezed over, but any of the others would be no problem at all. Nobody should feel this isolated especially when they feel sick, blooming disgraceful.

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-09, 21:04
Nobody should feel this isolated especially when they feel sick, blooming disgraceful.

I agree with you unicorn, and I have no fear of the odd sniffle.

If there is anything you require Fran, I am sure you know it goes without saying ,I will be around in a flash. ;)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Fumigation.jpg?t=1255895959

Leanne
18-Oct-09, 21:07
I agree with you unicorn, and I have no fear of the odd sniffle.

If there is anything you require Fran, I am sure you know it goes without saying ,I will be around in a flash. ;)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Fumigation.jpg?t=1255895959

Does your fridge smell that bad????

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-09, 21:13
Does your fridge smell that bad????

No, I was just putting Frans shopping away for her.:lol:

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 21:36
Ver well said Unicorn, and i totally agree. It is how it used to be, but things have changed, people have changed, i dont think people help out others like they used to. In the case of swine flu, patients are too embarrased to say what they have as they get made fun of, also people wont go near them, they think they have the plague or black death. Its not like that. As long as that person is not coughing and sneezing all over you and preferably wears a mask or scarf, then you are ok, People could still help by shopping, could always leave it on the garden wall, and put prescriptions through the letterbox, maybe take some used magazines around and leave them on the doorstep.Take the dog out, all these sort of things could be done for the patient by budies. It is depressing enough to have swine flu and be in isolation cut off from the world, without people .ignoring you, not phoning you.I would certainly like to be a buddy to someone in this awful predicament,

Ipersonally would do ANYTHING to help ANYONE.............at any time.:D

Alice in Blunderland
18-Oct-09, 21:59
Ipersonally would do ANYTHING to help ANYONE.............at any time.:D

gosh you finished all that decorating then ;)

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 22:18
gosh you finished all that decorating then ;)

Yes.............at last...it was a VERY loooooooooooooooooong haul!!![lol]

Alice in Blunderland
18-Oct-09, 22:22
Yes.............at last...it was a VERY loooooooooooooooooong haul!!![lol]

Excellent news ................. next curry night is coming up soon. :lol:

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 22:57
Excellent news ................. next curry night is coming up soon. :lol:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..actually I really do not like curry.The smell of it is enough to make me feel sick.

I like chinese food ,though............;)

Moi x
18-Oct-09, 23:39
I wondered if you could help me with a little project I have.

Have you had swine flu?

If you've had it, how was it diagnosed and how did the diagnosis affect you? Were you prescribed drugs and do you feel they helped?

Yes, I know, this project isn't at all scientific, but it's not meant to be.

Thanks in advance to those who reply.I started a new thread with this post so that it didn't get lost amongst several subthreads that were already running in this thread.

The facts about swine flu treatment in this country are already known in principle, but I wanted to hear anecdotal evidence of Caithness swine flu sufferers' experiences and perceptions of their diagnosis and treatment in order to compare them with what's been going on in remote areas of Central America this year. I am flying back out tomorrow and therefore it's too late to rectify the situation now. Members have an absolute right to compare my posts with frivolous polls concerning watering cans and guardian angels but next time I'll choose a different forum to ask serious questions.

Moi x

Tom Cornwall
18-Oct-09, 23:41

I don't think he did...but he didn't die of swine flu

Aaldtimer
19-Oct-09, 02:48
I started a new thread with this post so that it didn't get lost amongst several subthreads that were already running in this thread.

The facts about swine flu treatment in this country are already known in principle, but I wanted to hear anecdotal evidence of Caithness swine flu sufferers' experiences and perceptions of their diagnosis and treatment in order to compare them with what's been going on in remote areas of Central America this year. I am flying back out tomorrow and therefore it's too late to rectify the situation now. Members have an absolute right to compare my posts with frivolous polls concerning watering cans and guardian angels but next time I'll choose a different forum to ask serious questions.

Moi x

As is your right Moi x, but just consider that few serious responses to your enquiry might be down to the fact that Swine Flu has not had any significant impact up here. No need for your sniffy attitude!:confused

Alan16
19-Oct-09, 04:14
I started a new thread with this post so that it didn't get lost amongst several subthreads that were already running in this thread.

Moi x

It's 4 o'clock in the morning and I'm watching the Bears losing because they cannot catch the god-damn football they are paid so much to. And even in that situation I can only say: close the door on your way out.

crayola
19-Oct-09, 09:48
Members have an absolute right to compare my posts with frivolous polls concerning watering cans and guardian angels but next time I'll choose a different forum to ask serious questions.
Frivolous polls? Moi? How dare you? :lol:

Hello from Scandiwegia BTW

crayola
19-Oct-09, 09:58
It's 4 o'clock in the morning and I'm watching the Bears losing because they cannot catch the god-damn football they are paid so much to. And even in that situation I can only say: close the door on your way out.Shouldn't you be having an essay crisis by now?

Alan16
19-Oct-09, 18:52
Shouldn't you be having an essay crisis by now?

I don't have essay crises. I plan therefore avoiding any such problems. My only problem is with the Bears being unable to throw a ball and then catch it. Idiots.

davie
19-Oct-09, 19:00
. My only problem is with the Bears being unable to throw a ball and then catch it. Idiots.

You should be aware that there are lots of animal lovers on this forum and calling bears 'idiots' is liable to get them angry (the bears also).
In my experience if one throws a ball in the vertical plane then it is relatively easy to catch it on the way down but if however one throws the ball in the horizontal plane it is more difficult to then catch it - unless of course one can run as fast as the ball.
Perhaps your ursine friends have not figured this out - being idiots.

Alan16
19-Oct-09, 19:07
You should be aware that there are lots of animal lovers on this forum and calling bears 'idiots' is liable to get them angry (the bears also).
In my experience if one throws a ball in the vertical plane then it is relatively easy to catch it on the way down but if however one throws the ball in the horizontal plane it is more difficult to then catch it - unless of course one can run as fast as the ball.
Perhaps your ursine friends have not figured this out - being idiots.

Well it isn't the same Bear catching and throwing the ball, but the idiots still can't catch it. They're idiots.

davie
19-Oct-09, 19:18
Well it isn't the same Bear catching and throwing the ball, but the idiots still can't catch it. They're idiots.

Can you not train the bears ? - I mean they have dancing bears in the circus and some Eastern European countries. Why not here in Week or Thirsa ?

Alan16
19-Oct-09, 22:56
Can you not train the bears ? - I mean they have dancing bears in the circus and some Eastern European countries. Why not here in Week or Thirsa ?

Getting some in Chicago would be a start.

Fran
22-Oct-09, 01:55
Just wondering if anyone knows,

I am a diabetic and am wondering if someone can tell me if swine flu affects this more serious than a "normal" person?

.................................................. ................................

No it doesnt, i know that as fact.

highlander
22-Oct-09, 09:21
.................................................. ................................

No it doesnt, i know that as fact.

Fran could you please explain that fact, i am diabetic and i also have asthma and according to the news these are the people who will be more affected by the swine flu, if you are saying that we will not be affected more if we do catch the swine flu, why are we the ones who are being called up first for the jab.