PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

weegie
13-Jul-09, 12:44
I have just left BT as a result of the poor service and im shopping around , had a look at the virgin bundle excl. TV and it seems the best option but does anyone have any reccomendations for broadband ?

hoopy1406
13-Jul-09, 12:51
What was wrong with your BT weegie? Im with them too and find that i get cut off with the slightest blow of wind and then as well for no reason at all - its starting to grind my gears!

muffin
13-Jul-09, 13:19
We have Tiscali and have had no problems and good download speeds but I think that depends where you are.

telfordstar
13-Jul-09, 13:24
Im with orange broadband ive touch wood ive never had a problem with them at all.

Matthew
13-Jul-09, 13:36
I've recently been having problems with BT also. The homehub keeps randomly losing internet connection all the time.

bish667
13-Jul-09, 14:02
From the sounds of it I think I'm the only person with BT broadband thats not having a problem with it.

weegie
13-Jul-09, 14:35
The broadband was fine never lost my speed up or down, great kit and wireless options etc but they overcharged me continually, downgraded my package without my permission , sent faulty equiptment and didnt replace , had me offline for 60days when moving home and still charged us .

Connor.
13-Jul-09, 14:39
I'm with VirginMedia and i never get any problems. Been with them for a while and they often do little deals i.e. upgrade your speed. Pretty good with technical support(their online support is free and very helpful). I would say VirginMedia from my own experience, but i don't know what they are like with anyone else?

Metalattakk
13-Jul-09, 16:15
I'm with VirginMedia and i never get any problems. Been with them for a while and they often do little deals i.e. upgrade your speed.

Exactly how do they "upgrade your speed"?

Stefan
13-Jul-09, 16:43
They make your connection faster by changing a number in a bit of software that restricts your speed in the first place...

Metalattakk
13-Jul-09, 16:47
They make your connection faster by changing a number in a bit of software that restricts your speed in the first place...

Why would your speed be restricted in the first place?

tonkatojo
13-Jul-09, 17:01
Why would your speed be restricted in the first place?

to make you pay for better speed probably.or make them look good by giving a freebie.

pink25
13-Jul-09, 17:09
We're with Tiscali, never had any problems with them :D

Metalattakk
13-Jul-09, 17:12
to make you pay for better speed probably.or make them look good by giving a freebie.

Either way, that's two good reasons not to sign up for Virgin Media then, isn't it? :eek:

By the way, I'm, not entirely sure of the veracity of both Stefan's and your own comments.

I don't think a single ISP in this country would limit a user's speed and then offer to upgrade it later, either for a fee or for free. The user's speed is generally set by the exchange you are connected to, then the DSLAM that you are thereafter connected to.*

Neither of which are governed or controlled by the ISP.

*Not withstanding the internal and external telephonic wiring to and from your house, and the dreaded contention ratios etc.

Connor.
13-Jul-09, 17:25
Well, just because you have 2mb broadband doesn't mean you're getting your full monies worth. Virgin Media put me up to 8mb for free but i told them to stop it because it was interfering with my latency while gaming(yes, i'm THAT cool :roll:) plus my line won't even go up to that(countryside BOO!) so it's relatively pointless.

Most companies(not just VM) are not giving out as much as they could.

tonkatojo
13-Jul-09, 18:53
Either way, that's two good reasons not to sign up for Virgin Media then, isn't it? :eek:

By the way, I'm, not entirely sure of the veracity of both Stefan's and your own comments.

I don't think a single ISP in this country would limit a user's speed and then offer to upgrade it later, either for a fee or for free. The user's speed is generally set by the exchange you are connected to, then the DSLAM that you are thereafter connected to.*

Neither of which are governed or controlled by the ISP.

*Not withstanding the internal and external telephonic wiring to and from your house, and the dreaded contention ratios etc.

the reason I was flippant is I don't use any land line service provider because non can give me any service. ;)

Bookworm
13-Jul-09, 19:41
I've had a BT homehub for several years and never had a problem with either location that I've been.

Now cable, before it became Virgin Media, was crap. Always problems and tried to bill me for 6 months after I left them. They also wouldn't come and pick up their gear, had to deliver it to a local depot for them (made sure I got a receipt too).

poppett
13-Jul-09, 21:02
Have a phone line rental, free calls to 01,02 and 03, and unlimited 8mg broadband package with Pipex (now part of Tiscali) for £23 per month. International calls are capped at 2pence a minute. Online billing with two weeks notice of the direct debit being paid out of the bank, and they have never asked for the money in advance of a bank holiday, unlike BT who never got one bill correct in 17 months.

Metalattakk
13-Jul-09, 21:54
Most companies(not just VM) are not giving out as much as they could.

Yes they are, if you're willing to pay for it. Most of the big guns in the ISP world are happy to oversubscribe their basic services, and offer a better (or what I would call "a normal") service at business rates. That's why I don't go with a "big gun", as it were.

Again, if VM are not offering me the maximum capacity that my line can deliver, I'd not give them another penny of my money.

You however, might think that's acceptable. Each to their own.

Katy
13-Jul-09, 22:15
We are with Sky Broadband and not had any problems either. Noticed they are doing a deal just now for free phone & broadband I think it is!
Kxx

bt total broadband
13-Jul-09, 22:51
i also have been having problems with bt homehub and thinking of changing

purplelady
13-Jul-09, 23:43
I am with Bt and fingers crossed have had no problems with them my oh is wirh AOL and has no end of problems with them xxxxxxxxx

Julia
14-Jul-09, 00:13
First join quidco.com then look for an alternative provider via their site, I did and got £70 cashback for migrating to O2 who are incidentally a lot cheaper than my previous provider (madasafish) and I have unlimited use.

Metalattakk
14-Jul-09, 00:33
First join quidco.com then look for an alternative provider via their site, I did and got £70 cashback for migrating to O2 who are incidentally a lot cheaper than my previous provider (madasafish) and I have unlimited use.

No you don't. They say you have, but they're telling porkie-pies. Unfortunately, you are still subject to their Fair Use Policy (FUP).

There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services.(Taken directly from http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/broadband.)

Quite what would represent usage that is 'so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected' is open to conjecture. O2 themselves are fairly reluctant to provide any further detail - basically, they can decide whatever they want in that respect.

The Angel Of Death
14-Jul-09, 01:21
I don't think there is many service providers left within the UK that doesn't restrict or limit the speed of your connection

I'm with bt and am restricted every other night however because I download a lot of stuff its something that I have to put up with (and make sure I get everything I want before 6 pm)

Because i work tech support some of the horror stories i have heard is unreal personally I would go without internet access than give AOL / Talk talk (one and the same now people) and Tiscali my business yes Bt are not perfect but there is worse out there

Given the restrictions in place I wonder what will happen when we all embrace this new digital revolution of streaming HD quality because at the moment most providers are struggling to cope with filesharing and are restricting speeds so where is the line drawn with legit streaming films its still large volumes of data at the same time

upolian
14-Jul-09, 01:32
tiscali here and never had 1 problem at all

Metalattakk
14-Jul-09, 01:34
I don't think there is many service providers left within the UK that doesn't restrict or limit the speed of your connection

I'd agree, unless we're prepared to pay a hefty price for a dedicated 1:1 symmetrical non-contended leased line. And how many of us can afford to do that? Few, given prices quoted at around £499 per month ex VAT. :eek:

Because i work tech support some of the horror stories i have heard is unreal personally i would go without internet access than give AOL / Talk talk (one and the same now people) and Tiscali my business yes Bt are not perfect but there is worse out there

I'd agree to a certain degree. BT are bad, but there are a lot worse. There are quite a few better though, but again it all comes down to how much you're prepared to spend.

Any deal that offers me an ADSLMax connection for much less than £20pm isn't going to provide me with what I want. But that's not to say that anyone else has the same requirements as I do.

hotrod4
14-Jul-09, 07:54
There is a Network fault with BT at the moment, well at least in Pulteney that is. Should be repaired within 48 hrs, I was dropping out as well but hopefully no more!!!!:roll:

bish667
14-Jul-09, 10:06
Mine works fine for my xbox, thats good enough for me :D

Kevin Milkins
14-Jul-09, 10:44
I have been with BT a while now and things have been fine.:Razz

simple338
14-Jul-09, 13:14
i had alot of hassle with BT so changed to Tiscali, way better service and way cheaper. im now paying £17.50 for unlimited usage. had no problems and when i moved home they called me to let me know what was happening and when it would be working. i would highly recommend them :D

bobbyrussell09
14-Jul-09, 17:26
have notice bt hub does lose connection for a few seconds but its back on sraight away then

The Angel Of Death
14-Jul-09, 19:09
im now paying £17.50 for unlimited usage.

You wont be getting unlimited use just a case of your not going over there threshold for example many months i have gone over 100 gb of data transfer and have seen upwards of 150 before you get a nice polite email from them

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Jul-09, 19:25
I fought for AOL on this place for the past 2 and a bit years,cos we never had a problem with them,then we did.Really bad connection,really bad service.Moved to BT.Excellent connection and service.One wee thing,whats aw this stuff about speed on broadband,is this downloading,etc?

Kevin Milkins
14-Jul-09, 19:59
I fought for AOL on this place for the past 2 and a bit years,cos we never had a problem with them,then we did.Really bad connection,really bad service.Moved to BT.Excellent connection and service.One wee thing,whats aw this stuff about speed on broadband,is this downloading,etc?

Most seem to sell these deals, and the one I signed up to with AOL (before I was in the know) was a top of the range mega bucks deal that was going to give me up to 8mbs, the key phrase being up to.
If you do a speed test, like this one I just did.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/517343369.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
and it not 8mb then they will blame anything , but themselves and still enjoy taking your money.

If you want to test your speeds click here,
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/)

The Angel Of Death
14-Jul-09, 23:29
and it not 8mb then they will blame anything , but themselves and still enjoy taking your money.

That's the thing though no disrepect but most people see the 8 mb speeds and think there going to get that they don't factor in line lengths and condition of the line the exchange and where its based etc

However they shouldnt get away with this (and i think they have all been slapped silly for this of late) they should be giving you a approximation of the speed by doing a simple line test that will show what the line is capapble of and it will sort it out once and for all

The thing is say your line is only capable of 2 mb then it doesnt matter who your provider is they wont be able to give you faster than 2 mb

You cant turn a fiesta into a ferarri now can you

Kevin Milkins
14-Jul-09, 23:49
I supose we have all been a little bit naive at some time or another.:confused

http://thumbp1.mail.vip.ird.yahoo.com/tn?sid=3842151987&mid=AJC8ktkAAK%2FYSlzpygzexihyjbg&partid=2&f=867&fid=Inbox (http://uk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?fid=Inbox&mid=1_34906_AJC8ktkAAK%2FYSlzpygzexihyjbg&pid=2&tnef=&YY=1247611099179&newid=1&clean=0&inline=1)

purplelady
15-Jul-09, 23:37
My fella is on AOL and he often loses the connection which is annoying as we use the net a lot as he stays in in edinboro x

Aaldtimer
16-Jul-09, 02:43
I've been with AOL for the last 5 years and have had little or no problems. Any probs were sorted out quickly and efficiently.:)

Kirdon
16-Jul-09, 18:03
There is a Network fault with BT at the moment, well at least in Pulteney that is. Should be repaired within 48 hrs, I was dropping out as well but hopefully no more!!!!:roll:

Somebody is fobbing you off, Pultney would need a bomb to create a "Network fault" that affected it but not the "Weekers". They all come from the same exchange hence you would have to cut all the cables going one way but not touch the ones going the other way. IMPOSSIBLE.