PDA

View Full Version : Trams

Anne x
12-Jul-09, 23:50
I was in our Nations Capital Edinburgh at the weekend and was disgusted by the state of beautiful Princess St all the folk I spoke to over the weekend did not see any point in this total waste of money plus all the disruption who wanted this voted for it and why ?
My OH was born and brought up in Leith and last night we were down at Ocean Terminal road closed etc he eventually found his way out albeit his old known route but so confusing

golach
13-Jul-09, 00:05
You and the Bomber are lucky you come here once in a while, we residents have to live with this.
Last week in the local paper the number of road works across the city was over 500.
I never voted for this tram system, nobody was given that choice, I have only met one person in Edinburgh who things the Trams will be a benefit to the city.
And how can you get lost in Leith? Its only a bit of Constitution Street thats closed

Anne x
13-Jul-09, 00:28
Ok !! so whoe's Idea was it there must of been a vote at some point by some band of Idiots Councillors or MSP's
disruption is awful all over the city Oh did make it back Golach after reversing and Sw-----g getting to Dalry late

golach
13-Jul-09, 00:30
Ok !! so whoe's Idea was it there must of been a vote at some point by some band of Idiots Councillors or MSP's
disruption is awful all over the city Oh did make it back Golach after reversing and Sw-----g getting to Dalry late
Who would want to go to Dalry anyway? 'Ats no mans lands [lol]

Kenneth
13-Jul-09, 07:48
I think it will look good.

Kevin Milkins
13-Jul-09, 08:39
I think it will look good.

I am sure you are right Kenneth, but the question still remains, WHEN

TRUCKER
13-Jul-09, 08:52
i dont think it will be of any benefit to edinburgh it the locals didnt want it why go ahead with it.

golach
13-Jul-09, 09:26
I am sure you are right Kenneth, but the question still remains, WHEN
£518 million would make anything look good, but I agree the big question is when, they started this in 2006 and were promising that it would be finished in 2011, that has now been extended to 2012 maybe, more money is being demanded by the contractors still. Not a single yard of track has been laid yet[disgust].
Many businesses in Leith Walk have gone to the wall because of the hold ups, the lack of access to their businesses, disruption and stoppage of utilities, such as Launderettes not having water for weeks, Hairdressers with no electricity.
Princes Street has been closed since February, the affect on business in our Capitals main shopping area is terrible, even in this credit crunch period.
No citizen of Edinburgh ever was consulted on these trams, we have the best award winning bus company in the land, who need the trams?

tonkatojo
13-Jul-09, 09:49
£518 million would make anything look good, but I agree the big question is when, they started this in 2006 and were promising that it would be finished in 2011, that has now been extended to 2012 maybe, more money is being demanded by the contractors still. Not a single yard of track has been laid yet[disgust].
Many businesses in Leith Walk have gone to the wall because of the hold ups, the lack of access to their businesses, disruption and stoppage of utilities, such as Launderettes not having water for weeks, Hairdressers with no electricity.
Princes Street has been closed since February, the affect on business in our Capitals main shopping area is terrible, even in this credit crunch period.
No citizen of Edinburgh ever was consulted on these trams, we have the best award winning bus company in the land, who need the trams?

Progress huh at what price. perhaps it will impress Salmond's EU palls.

weeboyagee
13-Jul-09, 10:15
Who would want to go to Dalry anyway? 'Ats no mans lands [lol]
You out with that spoon again Golach? :D

Seriously, Dalry is a lesser place for the tragedy of the Balmoral. When I took my mates 2 lads to Tynecastle, we stopped at Robo's and the Balmoral as two Hearts pubs on the way to Dickens. It was very sad to see what happened to it at the weekend and what happened to the firefighter. Very sad.

As for the trams - I have been to Europe and a few places with trams and think that they add wonderful character to the place. I've been to Edinburgh a few times whilst they have been digging it up all over the place but I truly hope that the project adds to the ambience and appeal of the place. What might be really getting up folks noses just now might all be worth it in the end - if not for the everyday local, definitely for the megabucks in increased tourism. Totally understand current frustrations though.

WBG :cool:

golach
13-Jul-09, 10:44
What might be really getting up folks noses just now might all be worth it in the end - if not for the everyday local, definitely for the megabucks in increased tourism. Totally understand current frustrations though.

You are ever the optimist WBG, but sadly the last 3 years of chaos and misery in the streets of our Capital have resulted in a down turn in the visitors coming to the city.
As one who works directly with the visitors, I find myself ashamed of our wonderful city, by the work being carried out and the lack of progress.
Auld Reekie and the New Town are both World Heritage Sites, we may lose that great honour. When a foreign visitor asks me "Why do you want these Trams?" What can I say?

kmahon2001
13-Jul-09, 10:51
You are ever the optimist WBG, but sadly the last 3 years of chaos and misery in the streets of our Capital have resulted in a down turn in the visitors coming to the city.
As one who works directly with the visitors, I find myself ashamed of our wonderful city, by the work being carried out and the lack of progress.
Auld Reekie and the New Town are both World Heritage Sites, we may lose that great honour. When a foreign visitor asks me "Why do you want these Trams?" What can I say?

Wouldn't you think they would leave a project as large as this till after Homecoming?:roll: Imagine all those people who've come hundreds and thousands of miles to see the Capital City - they must be so disappointed seeing it in such a state.[disgust]

Kenneth
13-Jul-09, 13:10

Seriously, Dalry is a lesser place for the tragedy of the Balmoral. When I took my mates 2 lads to Tynecastle, we stopped at Robo's and the Balmoral as two Hearts pubs on the way to Dickens. It was very sad to see what happened to it at the weekend and what happened to the firefighter. Very sad.

As for the trams - I have been to Europe and a few places with trams and think that they add wonderful character to the place. I've been to Edinburgh a few times whilst they have been digging it up all over the place but I truly hope that the project adds to the ambience and appeal of the place. What might be really getting up folks noses just now might all be worth it in the end - if not for the everyday local, definitely for the megabucks in increased tourism. Totally understand current frustrations though.

glad to see we agree on something for once WBG! haha

i never did translate that gaelic btw...:(

TRUCKER
13-Jul-09, 13:29
If the people of edinburgh didnt want the tarms why did the scottish goverment go ahead with it just to get brownie points

Fluff
13-Jul-09, 13:37
Does anyone know when the completion date is supposed to be? Originally and the new one (if it has been changed).

stroma88
13-Jul-09, 13:58
i moved down to edinburgh a couple of years ago for college and the tram works are driving me nuts!
i thought we had a really good bus service and there was not need for trams. now the council are running out of money so the bus service is suffering even more along with delays.
in my old flat if i was out past twelve on a week night i had to get a taxi home (or walk if im skint) because they cancelled the only night busses that would take me the right way. theres also been buses completely removed. george street is mad right now and the buses are very slow.
princess street looks a mess, its crammed and doesnt look as if its been cleaned in a while.
[evil]

i think the origional finishing year was 2011 (ha!), not sure what it is now.

golach
13-Jul-09, 15:10
If the people of edinburgh didnt want the tarms why did the scottish goverment go ahead with it just to get brownie points
Trucker thats it!!!!! It was not the Scottish Government's decision about the trams, it was our wonderful cooncil who are mortgaged to the hilt and are so strapped for cash that wanted them in the first place, Wee Eck is keeping well out of this one [disgust]

Fluff, the original time for completion was to be 2011, now its running at least 12 month late, with no definate date for final completion or final price, its running millions of pounds over budget as it is.

Kenneth
13-Jul-09, 15:13
I think we've got to take into consideration how much money this will bring to construction companies and other contractors when its all done

also, i think its to be expected that there will be a mess if you are putting in tram lines in the busiest street on edinburgh.

When all is said and done it will be interesting to see if they are a success or a failure.

Personally I have high hopes for the trams and think they will make a sleek, attractive, eco-friendly sight, which will hark back to Edinburgh bygone days of tram use.

golach
13-Jul-09, 15:32
I think we've got to take into consideration how much money this will bring to construction companies and other contractors when its all done

also, i think its to be expected that there will be a mess if you are putting in tram lines in the busiest street on edinburgh.

When all is said and done it will be interesting to see if they are a success or a failure.

Personally I have high hopes for the trams and think they will make a sleek, attractive, eco-friendly sight, which will hark back to Edinburgh bygone days of tram use.

1: The companies involved are not Scottish, so no Scottish company getting any benefit, the contractors are mainly German, and already have a bad reputaion around the world.

2: Not a single foot of track has been laid so far, that is over 3 years now

3: if they are a failure....then what?...Dig up the tracks?

tonkatojo
13-Jul-09, 16:52
1: The companies involved are not Scottish, so no Scottish company getting any benefit, the contractors are mainly German, and already have a bad reputaion around the world.

3: if they are a failure....then what?...Dig up the tracks?

Is the route going to be like Blackpool IE; running back and forth the length of Princes ST. ?

Bazeye
13-Jul-09, 17:10

Since when did the opinion of the electorate have any say in how the country is run? Poll tax, Lisbon treaty, smoking ban, immigration policy, etc etc etc etc etc etc .............:confused

Anne x
13-Jul-09, 19:21

It was very sad we were 5 mins from fire and on Saturday evening it was awful with sirens etc on Sunday morning the road was closed and the full realistation that a young firefighter had lost his life
quite a blow after all the moaning about inconveniences earlier

Rheghead
14-Jul-09, 16:39
I never voted for this tram system, nobody was given that choice, I have only met one person in Edinburgh who things the Trams will be a benefit to the city.

Well you may have voted against the Edinburgh Congestion Charge, so you didn't get the Devil you did know but the one you didn't.:lol:

Joking apart, I've just come from a tram town (Douglas) and it is its best feature. On a more modern system, it's gone down a treat in Manchester so I've been told.

Rheghead
14-Jul-09, 19:30
Here is a video that I took recently, trams and totally renewable energy driven too! :lol: The mixture of cars and trams looks weird.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/th_Douglastram.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/?action=view&current=Douglastram.flv)

Aaldtimer
15-Jul-09, 02:45
the horse didn't look too comfortable about things either!:confused

crayola
20-Aug-09, 08:37
How many feet of track have been laid now?

porshiepoo
20-Aug-09, 09:12
I know I don't have to live with a Tram system but I just wanted to say that my mum does and as far as I can see it's been a god send to herself and many others.
The tram runs round the back of her house and has a terminal just up the road. It means it's easier for many folk to get to the Town and to the City and is much more convenient and user friendly than a bus system.

I'll admit I know nothing of the proposed system in Edinburgh. Is it just a city centre tram system or does it go to the outlying towns and villages?

On the upside guys, it may help reduce congestion and pollution.
Give it a try before condemning it.
Whether we like it or not, Trams could very well be the future for many city centres.

golach
20-Aug-09, 09:17
I don't know, and I don't particularly care now.
The end date is now extended from 2011 to 2013, need I say more?

northener
20-Aug-09, 09:32
Coulda dualled a fair lump of the A9 with that money......

...but, then again, we're an insignificant minority up here. Hardly likely to influence voting results, are we?[disgust]

Bobbyian
20-Aug-09, 17:56
Rheghead , that was the best ever Eco friendly tram, these new Highspeed city trams are ok but the fares are high could probably buy a new bike each year for the inner town trips as for congestion reduction no way... remember the old Trolley buses may be a system with E buses that can recharge on the inner city run? or get the dogem car out and run for free on the tram route..

rich
20-Aug-09, 21:30
OK I've heard all the arguments and I still like trams. I like trams anywhere. New Orleans has the best, the worst is probably right here in Toronto seconded only by Basle Switzeralnd where their very efficiency and punctuality drives one nuts - like water drip torture.( No danger of that level of efficiency in Edinburgh I am sure.)

My major concern is that the Edinburgh trams will be too small - I would prefer a stately galleon of a tram, with an upstairs. A second storey is vital for admiring what is left of the Edinburgh landscape. And when not full we could use the space for music concerts - well at least a string quartet - so let's have trams twice the current size so strollers and prams and dogs can be fitted in along with luggage and those of us who are inclined to obesity.

I would also like to see included a bell, a huge thing with appropriate clappers, so kids can give the thing a good wallop with thoughtfully provided drum sticks. Would it interfere with the Brahms upstairs - Oh stop complaining, this is a major metropolitan area not a dozey little village; noise comes with the territory.

And by all means extend the line to the airport. Of course that would require travelling through rural areas so it is an elementary matter of prudence to have our trams equipped with cow catchers - useful too in dealing with wobbling Princes Street drunks staggering along the tracks.

I see I haven't left myself enough time to discuss with my fellow Orgers what type of meals should be provided on our Caledonian street car - a tramburger perhaps....

Moira
20-Aug-09, 22:09

Are they contemplating a similar system in Glasgow?

I've not noticed any planning permission applications for a tram system in Caithness recently. Perhaps I should say - yet?

canuck
21-Aug-09, 21:46
OK I've heard all the arguments and I still like trams.....

But, but rich, you don't live here and even more importantly, you don't have to drive through the down town traffic. The only thing that will draw me near to the tram line chaos is our monthly meeting of the Canadian Ladies Group. We gather at the Dome and for that I can take the bus: double decker, baby prams, dogs - the lot.

And now the whole thing is to be delayed again. I will have finished my five year appointment by the time anyone actually rides on a car, bell equipped or not.

Rheghead
21-Aug-09, 22:43
My friend commutes in from Aberdour via train/cycle into Edinburgh and isn't bothered about the traffic probs in Edi atm. But then the car was already the root of Edi's problem irrespective of traffic roadworks.

Anne x
21-Aug-09, 23:18
But, but rich, you don't live here and even more importantly, you don't have to drive through the down town traffic. The only thing that will draw me near to the tram line chaos is our monthly meeting of the Canadian Ladies Group. We gather at the Dome and for that I can take the bus: double decker, baby prams, dogs - the lot.

And now the whole thing is to be delayed again. I will have finished my five year appointment by the time anyone actually rides on a car, bell equipped or not.

Totally agree Canuck both my visits since June have been a nightmare George St is now total chaos imop back to my original post 1
cannot be doing the City any good with tourists etc such a shame for our beautiful capital