PDA

View Full Version : dental phobia

elastic band
12-Jul-09, 21:58
does anyone have any personal experience of a dentist who will provide sedation. my wife is terrified of the dentist and hasn't been for a few years and really needs some treatment because she has 2 broken teeth which she tried to take out herself and have now broken with the roots still in her gum. She is both terrified and ashamed of the state of her teeth and i need to find someone who can help her. Would be willing to travel to Inverness if need -does anyone have similar experiences and if so can you advise who helped.

any info on prices etc would also be great

thanks again orgers

celtic88chick
12-Jul-09, 22:22
I am also terrified of getting my teeth taken out whilst still awake and unfortunately had this happen to me last year. The dentist didn't even tell me what he was doing, and i didn't realise until he had stuck the needle in my gum to numb it. After sitting on the phone to my mum in the waiting room, close to tears, i was taken in again and that was when i asked if i was getting my tooth out. The dentist then starting making jokes about it and when i said how scared i was and that if i knew i was getting my tooth out, i would rather have been put to sleep for it, he just laughed at me as though the whole thing was a joke! Needless to say, the whole thing made me even more scared!!

The price of getting the one tooth taken out was between £6 and £7 but that was because i had an emergency appointment through the NHS.

tracy ann
13-Jul-09, 15:23
Hi

My dr prescribed me some diazapam as I was in a state about getting a wisdom tooth out - it definatley mellowed me out and made the experience a bit easier

Katy
13-Jul-09, 15:30
I was petrified of going to the dentist also but a year ago I really had to go and got in with the dentist in the Dunbar Hospital Phil and he was brilliant. I told him I was scared and he put me so at ease and I have had all my treatment with him and he was excellent and I hardly felt a thing. If you can get him he is very understanding and also very good.
Hope your wife gets on ok, it is a scary thing. I noticed everytime I came out I didn't know what I had got so worked up about, he was excellent.
Katy x

toodiemac
13-Jul-09, 18:34
The price of getting the one tooth taken out was between £6 and £7 but that was because i had an emergency appointment through the NHS.

Lucky you got the tooth taken out on the NHS - I had one taken out at the dentist in Ormlie a couple of years ago and it cost £95!

poppett
13-Jul-09, 20:52
Ken Provan at Hill Street dental practice in Inverness was brilliant with me when i was his patient, and needle phobic, never mind dental phobic! When I moved to Edinburgh I joined Barron and Associates on Ferry Road and see Alistair de Wertz who is so laid back my OH has fallen asleep having root canal treatment and he is patient enough to treat me without needles (my choice) even having a root canal/crown done last year.

Good luck in your quest to find a good dentist.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 20:12
http://www.eilertsen-raymond.co.uk/ :)

This is the dentist that I use and he is excellent he is based in Dingwall. I hate the dentist with a vengeance and even landed up in Raigmore for four days because of my teeth but I was too panicky about going to the dentist.

A friend recommended I give them a try and I am so pleased with them. Don't let the posh environment put you off they were very down to earth and my teeth were in desperate need of attention. I had quite a few broken ones and I asked if they could do the work in as few sessions as possible.

They listened to my fears and worked out a treatment plan and told me the cost. They are expensive as they are private but I was willing to travel and pay anything for the right treatment at that time.

Hope this helps. :)

lelebo
19-Jul-09, 13:58
hi there - have you thought about hypnotherapy? It can be very effective for phobias - as well as myself, there are at least two other qualified hypnotherapists in the area :)

Alice in Blunderland
19-Jul-09, 22:09
hi there - have you thought about hypnotherapy? It can be very effective for phobias - as well as myself, there are at least two other qualified hypnotherapists in the area :)

I had hypnotherapy to help me for labour and I found it very good.:)

It helped me to relax so much.

I would say this is a worthwhile one before thinking on going for an anaesthetic. :D

lelebo
21-Jul-09, 08:29
it's great for loads of things....I wish I'd known about it when I had my little girl - she was a breech birth and emergency c-section and I could really have done with something to calm me down!

I'm doing my hypno-birthing training in October so will be offering classes and private sessions towards the end of the year hopefully. :)