PDA

View Full Version : Wasps

igglepiggle
11-Jul-09, 22:54
Hi, i was wondering if anyone knows contact details of who can get rid of a wasps nest??

flowertot
11-Jul-09, 23:00
in the first instance phone the council, or better still visit the council office in thurso or Wick they'll sort things out.

igglepiggle
11-Jul-09, 23:05
thank you, noticed we have one tonight, i will get on to them on monday morning! thanks again

BINBOB
12-Jul-09, 10:13
Ithink u could use the foam to kill the wasps...can be bought in homebase.Horrid things...we had a lot of problems with them in our bird boxes in moray.just filled them up with the foam...DEAD.;)

David Banks
12-Jul-09, 10:27
A Canadian supplier has a "dummy" wasp nest which looks like the real thing. Since the little beggars are territorial, they tend to keep away 20 feet or more.
That's the sales pitch - I have no experience to either confirm or deny the claim.

David Banks
12-Jul-09, 11:01
The company is called Lee Valley Tools and I think they have online shopping. The 'nests' are only aboud ten bucks CDN each, I think.
But, surely you should be able to find something closer and not have to wait 4 weeks for delivery across-the-pond. Good luck!

igglepiggle
12-Jul-09, 11:20
thanks guys, i got a foam for killing the nests out of tescos, so hubby has spayed it on, there is loads off them. If there is not much difference by tomorrow morning i will phone the council, my son hates them!

thanks again

Highland lad
12-Jul-09, 13:59
We just had the Council out this week getting rid of a nest on our house.

We had to get rid and quick we have a wasp allergy in the family.

ABC
12-Jul-09, 15:04
Hi, i was wondering if anyone knows contact details of who can get rid of a wasps nest??

Superclean 894796

domino
12-Jul-09, 20:22
Do not know if it works with wasps but certainly does for bees. We had bees in the chimney and a man came and poured Jeyes Fluid into the chimney.No more bees!

sassybreeks
12-Jul-09, 22:13
i have a wasps nest in the cavity wall and a bees nest in my compost bin! [mad] I sprinkled Ant Stop powder, which says can be used for wasps too, and hey ho, havent seen a wasp since.

Think i'll wait til winter before tackling bees nest tho! The mole is next for the chop! 20 molehills in 4 nights and already moved soil of about 30! :roll: Who needs pets, lol

igglepiggle
12-Jul-09, 22:24
i wish ours was somewhere we could get to, they are in a small hole, inside our kitchen extension roof. they are horrible, so far i think the foam is working, but will have a look tomorrow to see.

sassybreeks
12-Jul-09, 22:41
They were going in/out the air vent holes on my outside wall so had to 'throw' powder at it so that they take it in with them to the nest when flying in/out. Bit awkward to reach from my veranda! The good thing tho, wasps do not return to the same nest like bees do! But the bad news is, they dont leave til about october

Scunner
13-Jul-09, 10:13
i have a wasps nest in the cavity wall and a bees nest in my compost bin! [mad] I sprinkled Ant Stop powder, which says can be used for wasps too, and hey ho, havent seen a wasp since.

Think i'll wait til winter before tackling bees nest tho! The mole is next for the chop! 20 molehills in 4 nights and already moved soil of about 30! :roll: Who needs pets, lol

Can you explain what a bees nest is?

George Brims
13-Jul-09, 19:36
A bees' nest is what bees make inside a hive. Before people came along and provided handy hives for them, bees made their nest inside any hollow space. A hollow tree was always a favourite.

sassybreeks
13-Jul-09, 21:20
Can you explain what a bees nest is?

I didnt actually see the bees nest. I put fork in to turn over compost and about 50-70 bees flew out. That was enough for me! :eek: Just waited til it died down and they went back in, and i replaced the lid. Not going near it again til winter!

Scunner
13-Jul-09, 22:13
was that Bumble bees?

George Brims
14-Jul-09, 00:06
It was more likely honey bees gone wild. It's not unknown for swarming bees to establish themselves in the wild, or for a brisk Caithness day (which those soft people down South would call a "gale") to knock over a hive.

Many years ago I stayed at Melsetter House in Orkney, which had recently been taken over by the family that owned it (maybe they still do). The place was badly run down when they bought it. The front lawn (almost a football pitch in size) was waist-high grass and weeds, so one of the family took a forage harvester to it to make some silage. We kids (I was about 12) were playing on the front veranda of the house when I heard an unusual whooshing noise coming from the harvester. I looked up as the driver leapt off and ran toward the house, shouting something. As he got closer we could make out what he was saying, which was "Get in the damn hoose!" The sky behind him looked strangely dark. We all bolted inside but too late. The place was full of bees - very very angry bees. I got 5 stings and I think I got off best of the 7 or 8 kids there. It turned out there had been a fine collection of hives in the walled in kitchen garden, but through long neglect the bees had gone feral. There was a nest in the long grass and it had gone right through the forage harvester. People were getting the odd sting for several days. A search on foot turned up several more nests, which were sprayed with something before the rest of the grass was harvested.