PDA

View Full Version : Sock Puppets / Multiple Accounts / Shared PCs Amnesty

Niall Fernie
21-Mar-06, 11:57
Over the last few weeks, I've been tracking down people with multiple accounts. Up to now this have been a miserable painful task. Yesterday, I found a "plug-in" that does the work for me. Its already reported about 20 people who may be using more than one account or sharing a PC.

So I'd like to give everyone the chance to clear the decks and come clean.

If you have more than one account, you must now contact me to tell me the names of the accounts and which one you would like to keep. All your accounts will be merged and the "sock puppets" removed. Failure to do this will result in all your accounts being merged into an account of my choosing which to some may be highly embarasing. If you feel that merging of accounts will be seriously damaging I am giving you the chance to have the "alter-ego" accounts deleted and not merged.

If you share a PC with other members of your household or you are at college or in some similar situation you must inform me of who is who to prevent your account being merged with someone else's. I am able to check the IP addresses af every account so I can verify your situation.

If you have an old account which for any reason you no longer use, I can either delete or merge the account, your choice.

For information, if accounts are merged, the username of all posts and PMs will revert to the account that is being kept. This also means that your post count will go up as some have discovered already.

I will also accept that some people may have a second account that is used purely for posting in the Classifieds, I will accept them after verification and leave the accounts intact.

The amnesty will last for 30 days and then I will merge accounts as I see fit.

Either send me a PM or e-mail me on niall@caithness.org with details.

You have been warned!!!

Niall Fernie
22-Mar-06, 11:18
The response so far has been great, the new detection system has spotted about 50 users so far. Around half of those detected have contacted me (some before dectection) to let me know the situation with their accounts.

Also about 60 users have been in touch who were not detected but have come clean anyway :)

For those users who are spotted by the system and have not been in touch I will be contacting you by PM to find out the situation sometime over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again to those of you who have already been in touch.

Niall Fernie
23-Apr-06, 17:07
Ok folks, last chance time is now.

If you share a PC with someone else or have more than one account, you must get in touch this week otherwise I will be merging accounts as I see fit.

For those of you, you know who you are, that have set up more accounts since the start of the amnesty I will be banning your account/e-mail address/IP number if you do not get in touch to explain why you have created more accounts.

After Sunday next week, the amnesty is over.