PDA

View Full Version : Looking for witness to dog hitting in car

Kev
11-Jul-09, 10:16
Looking for anyone out there who seen a nissan micra hitting a black and white collie sized dog. A dog jumped out infront of my car at approx 9:30am this morning and has trashed the front of my car. It happened on Ormlie Road in Thurso just before the high school.

Any details will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, Kev.

Fluff
11-Jul-09, 11:15
Good luck. How is the dog?

Kev
11-Jul-09, 12:31
The dog is fine, i was going 25mph and i slammed the brakes on as soon as i seen it, i reckon i hit it at 10mph or so. It looked shocked but ran away unhurt. Left my car in quite a state tho :(

Boozeburglar
11-Jul-09, 13:24
If a relatively small and light dog did such damage to your car at only 10mph I would suggest your car was not roadworthy.

telfordstar
11-Jul-09, 13:36
If a relatively small and light dog did such damage to your car at only 10mph I would suggest your car was not roadworthy.

Dont think you really have the right to say whether his car is roadworthy or not in my opinion. Would depend where the impact was and even at 5mp could cause damage. So unless you have seen the car you realy cant comment on its roadworthyness.

unicorn
11-Jul-09, 13:42
Did you report the accident to the police, if so surely they will be looking for the owner so you can claim damages, I assume this is why you want witnesses.

ett23
11-Jul-09, 13:44
The same thing happened to my OHs car many years ago when he was driving through the village of Arabella. A dog ran right in front of him, hit the front of the car and both side doors. He was doing 40mph at the time and amazingly the dog only had a cut on its ear!!! It had a clean bill of health from the vet but the owner was told off for not having it on the lead close to a main road. Sadly the damage to my OHs car was pretty bad - smashed bumper and dented doors!! :eek:

Margaret M.
11-Jul-09, 13:50

I think Boozeburglar's point is valid, if hitting a dog at 10 mph "trashed the front of your car", how will that car fare in a collision with another car at 50 mph?

Anyhow, I'm glad neither you nor the dog were hurt.

Boozeburglar
11-Jul-09, 13:52
Dont think you really have the right to say whether his car is roadworthy or not in my opinion. Would depend where the impact was and even at 5mp could cause damage. So unless you have seen the car you realy cant comment on its roadworthyness.

I am giving an opinion.

Last I knew of this is a public forum.

I stand by what I said. A light weight animal like a collie is not going to do the damage suggested to a car that was roadworthy, at 10mph.

trashed the front of my car

Left my car in quite a state

BINBOB
11-Jul-09, 13:56
The dog is fine, i was going 25mph and i slammed the brakes on as soon as i seen it, i reckon i hit it at 10mph or so. It looked shocked but ran away unhurt. Left my car in quite a state tho :(

how do u know the poor dog is ok???have u informed the police???glad u are not hurt...but concerned for the poor dog.:~(

jimbews
11-Jul-09, 14:04
I think Boozeburglar's point is valid, if hitting a dog at 10 mph "trashed the front of your car", how will that car fare in a collision with another car at 50 mph?

Anyhow, I'm glad neither you nor the dog were hurt.

Cars are designed like this. In this case presumably to reduce damage to a pedestrian if one had been hit. Also (but presumably not in this case) there are things like crumple zones to reduce injury to passengers.

Or would you prefer everyone to drive about with bull bars and kill any kid that runs in front of them??

Also I believe that there is a legal requirement to report this to the police as it is a dog that has been hit.

JimBews

telfordstar
11-Jul-09, 14:05
I am giving an opinion.

Last I knew of this is a public forum.

I stand by what I said. A light weight animal like a collie is not going to do the damage suggested to a car that was roadworthy, at 10mph.

Is that a proven fact? unless it is then your opinion is crap. Thats my opinion because after all it is a public forum.:roll:

Kodiak
11-Jul-09, 14:13

This is quite a Valid Point actually and I do not think it is necessary to know the condition of a car at this slow speed. If in fact you were only doing 10mph when you hit this Dog and you then sustained such serious damage then I would tend to agree with boozeburglar.

I remember a small accident I had several years ago. I was driving quite slowly down a fairly steep hill towards a road junction, about 15mph. Stopped at the bottom was another car waiting for traffic before he could move. As I approached I breaked but suddenly my foot went right to the floor and my breaks failed and before I could do anything I hit the car.

I applied my hand break and got out of the car as did the other driver. The damage was this. No damage at all to the car that I hit and my car had just a small dent about 2 ins across and that was all. So we shook hands and we both went on our way, me around the corner to the garage to get my breaks fixed.

So to receive the damage you say you did, at the speed you say you were going, from hitting a small to medium dog, would suggest something wrong somewhere.

hotrod4
11-Jul-09, 16:13
This is quite a Valid Point actually and I do not think it is necessary to know the condition of a car at this slow speed. If in fact you were only doing 10mph when you hit this Dog and you then sustained such serious damage then I would tend to agree with boozeburglar.

I remember a small accident I had several years ago. I was driving quite slowly down a fairly steep hill towards a road junction, about 15mph. Stopped at the bottom was another car waiting for traffic before he could move. As I approached I breaked but suddenly my foot went right to the floor and my breaks failed and before I could do anything I hit the car.

I applied my hand break and got out of the car as did the other driver. The damage was this. No damage at all to the car that I hit and my car had just a small dent about 2 ins across and that was all. So we shook hands and we both went on our way, me around the corner to the garage to get my breaks fixed.

So to receive the damage you say you did, at the speed you say you were going, from hitting a small to medium dog, would suggest something wrong somewhere.
Not necessarily the case as jim Bews said cars are designed to "crumple" to protect peestrians, They are strengthened in other places to protect the passenger.
I had a van crash into me at about 10 mph and the front portion just "Crumpled".
Spoke to a mechanic and he advised me the above, so the Driver is perfectly correct as I am taking the word of a Mechanic and personal experience.

This is from Encap:
"Protection can be improved with pedestrian friendly bumpers, which deform when they hit a pedestrian’s leg. Protection is improved if the leg is impacted low down, away from the knee, and if the forces are spread over a longer length of leg. For the leading edge of the bonnet, improvements can result from the removal of un-necessarily stiff structures."

So I believe the OP rather than people arguing over who is in the right.

EDDIE
11-Jul-09, 16:28
Looking for anyone out there who seen a nissan micra hitting a black and white collie sized dog. A dog jumped out infront of my car at approx 9:30am this morning and has trashed the front of my car. It happened on Ormlie Road in Thurso just before the high school.

Any details will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, Kev.

You would be far better of reporting it to the police and they will probably get in touch with all the vets to see if they treated a dog for injurys

Kev
11-Jul-09, 16:33
It was a nissan micra as stated above. They are not strong cars, they are made out of plastic. I could probably do some damage with one finger as these are designed to absorb blows to protect passengers and whoever/whatever is hit. I may have hit the dog just right on a crumple zone, who knows.

Regardless of what you think about 10mph not being enough to cause damage to my car, i know this is the case as its happened.

cheers for the opinions and comments though

golach
11-Jul-09, 20:12
I am not a driver, but is hitting a dog not a reportable accident, should the police not have been informed at once?

pads1
11-Jul-09, 20:28
Yes I think hitting a dog is reportable or it used to be

Kevin Milkins
11-Jul-09, 20:53
Hi Kev, this is Kev.

Have you ever asked a question and then wished you had not?

M R
11-Jul-09, 21:02
Didn't realise there were so many people here who seem to know how much damage will be infilicted to a car by A B C + D...........

The guy is asking for any witnesses, nothing more

Quote : Boozeburglar : If a relatively small and light dog did such damage to your car at only 10mph I would suggest your car was not roadworthy.

A : Never heard such crap in a long time.
B : Since when is a Collie a light weight dog ?
C : You should only base an opinion on @ least some facts, you sir have None !!!

sintra307
11-Jul-09, 21:37
:roll:you are quite correct in what you say any accident involving car versus dog is a reportable incident.....whereas you can make any amount of cat mats you like and not report it....

pink25
12-Jul-09, 00:23
This thread is typical [disgust]
The OP asked for witnesses of an accident, not for everyone to judge and comment on what they think happened, could of happened.....etc etc!
Unless you witnessed this accident then I don't think you can be the judge of what happened

pink25
12-Jul-09, 00:33

Also....where abouts did Kev mention that the dog was light? :roll::roll:

Olin
12-Jul-09, 00:38
I think perhaps Mr BoozeBurglar has had too much of the booze lol

Kev you need to properly explain this story as in the usual fashion of the org people take the slightest details that may be slightly off or not fully explained and blow them out of proportion...

Moira
12-Jul-09, 00:40

If you know for sure the dog is fine, why post the question here? :confused

Olin
12-Jul-09, 00:51
If you know for sure the dog is fine, why post the question here? :confused

The reason is because someone has commited a crime by not having the dog on a lead and letting it run about on the road causing damage to the car....

Check this page out:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/397

And scroll down to the section "Road Traffic Act 1988" and check that and the section below and you'll read that the owner could be held responsible for the damage to the car...

I don't think Kev should be questioned for his reasons for asking why he's doing this as it's plain and simple.

Someone let their dog run about on a busy section of road and it ran out from behind a car on the motor mile whilst Kev was driving towards the high school and he hit it....

Not really his fault yet he's stuck with a "done in" bumper

Fran
12-Jul-09, 01:52
Hope you have reported it. to the police ......within 24 hours.

Connor.
12-Jul-09, 03:47
The police should of been informed pretty quickly after the accident happened. I hope the damages are sorted and that the dog is ok!

Alice in Blunderland
12-Jul-09, 08:24
Erm twenty nine replies and no witnesses looks like it could be a DIY repair job. ;)

Good luck :)

Kev
12-Jul-09, 14:22
Aye, not one person has actually answered my question. Everyones just trying to catch me out and find holes in my story instead of thinking to themselves "hmm... did i witness this?.. Nah i didnt so ill shut up"

boozeburglar i will open a new thread for you called "opinions" so you can go there and express all you want and so i dont have to read what unrelated points you have to make, and then maybe someone will post on here about being a witness.

And yes i reported the accident 4 hours after the incident to the police

gollach
12-Jul-09, 15:07
Erm twenty nine replies and no witnesses looks like it could be a DIY repair job.

Not handy when you're trying to sell the car, Kev :(

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=564987#post564987

BINBOB
12-Jul-09, 15:47

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............Noooooooooooooo oooooo......:roll:

Vistravi
12-Jul-09, 17:19
Typical. Someone asks a question and gets crucified for situation and question ignored.

Why must we look at the bad all the time???

If the dog is hurt then its the owners fault for letting it loose of the lead unless it escaped not Kev's

Good luck on your search for the dogs owners Kev. I used to live about that area but don't know anyone with a collie. Mind that was three years ago.;)

Alice in Blunderland
12-Jul-09, 17:49

Ermm possibly now discounted due to crumpled bumper. :lol:

If this was the same car Id be pig sick.

Stefan
12-Jul-09, 20:17
If the dog is hurt then its the owners fault for letting it loose of the lead unless it escaped not Kev's

Still the owners fault, even if the dog escaped, technically speaking.

Hope you find the owner and hopefully he will be insured, although that doesn't seem common in this country.

badger
12-Jul-09, 20:38

At least he's honest - he does say "new shape" :)

John Baikie
12-Jul-09, 20:38
Didn't realise there were so many people here who seem to know how much damage will be infilicted to a car by A B C + D...........

The guy is asking for any witnesses, nothing more

Quote : Boozeburglar : If a relatively small and light dog did such damage to your car at only 10mph I would suggest your car was not roadworthy.

A : Never heard such crap in a long time.
B : Since when is a Collie a light weight dog ?
C : You should only base an opinion on @ least some facts, you sir have None !!!

....What they said....
What a load of nonsense some folk post on here sometimes.