PDA

View Full Version : New Rector for WHS

Venture
20-Mar-06, 23:32
With all the discussions of late on here about Wick High School what are people's views now that Alister Traill has been appointed as the new head. Will he make a diference?

angela5
20-Mar-06, 23:37
With all the discussions of late on here about Wick High School what are people's views now that Alister Traill has been appointed as the new head. Will he make a diference?

Very much so...Alistar Trail is a fantastic man..i'm delighted he got the position of head teacher...he can only do better than the rest who tried..:)

girnigoe
20-Mar-06, 23:41
Is this the same Mr Traill that teaches/once taught at WHS?

Whitewater
20-Mar-06, 23:52
Yes the same Mr Trail. I think he will do well, there is a great deal of difference between the discipline in Thurso and Wick, he is also very aware of the style of dress which should be worn in school.

girnigoe
20-Mar-06, 23:55
Great!! He should do the trick! I was terrified of him when I was at school!!!

Is he currently in Thurso High?

Bobinovich
21-Mar-06, 00:00
the next question will be who takes his place in Thurso High? Any thoughts/recommendations?

angela5
21-Mar-06, 00:00
Great!! He should do the trick! I was terrified of him when I was at school!!!

Is he currently in Thurso High?

Me too! yes he is currently in Thurso..

Venture
21-Mar-06, 10:38
I think it is good that we have someone local who is well aware of how the public feel about the state of WHS. He is familiar with the school having worked there before and the staff. Hopefully he will bring some of the changes made to improve Thurso High to Wick.

willowbankbear
21-Mar-06, 10:44
Atop bloke Mr. Trail,I was a bad boy one day in W.H.S years ago, Mr.Trail tore me to shreds, I was terrified & needless to say ,I was a good boy in his class after that:o

crashbandicoot1979
21-Mar-06, 10:47
I'm delighted to hear that Mr Traill has been appointed as rector. He was one of the teachers that everyone respected at THS, and I reakon he'll make a big difference to WHS.

motopitcrew
21-Mar-06, 13:10
As a parent meeting with mr trail i found him to be a abusive bully . and thinks that he & his staff are the only people with rights at the school
he willnot let the children give thair side of the story instead he just shouts at them. when i went to complain about this he tryed to do the same with me
every time i tryed to say something he would just talk over me and not let me speak.however after being told by myself of his ignorance we resolved the matter. however my son was given detention by mr trail the next day for involving me in the dispute (morral of this tale you cant talk to a bully about bullying) it just dosent happen in his school

Wick high school you are welcome to him

And thair is a difference between respect & FEAR

unicorn
21-Mar-06, 13:24
If parents backed teachers up for a change everyone would see a difference. Nobody's child is a perfect angel but there are some that take it to extreme's if my child is shouted at in school then she must have done something to deserve it.. it's simple.. I am not going to waste anyone's time going to school to complain about it, If thats the way people feel then these are maybe the children who should be homeschooled by parents who can do such a better job than the teachers. And no I am not a teacher.

motopitcrew
21-Mar-06, 14:09
I might add that my son was shouted at because he complained about being bullied trail just wont listen to anyone child or adult he himself is a bully

DW
21-Mar-06, 14:09
If parents backed teachers up for a change everyone would see a difference. Nobody's child is a perfect angel but there are some that take it to extreme's if my child is shouted at in school then she must have done something to deserve it.. it's simple.. I am not going to waste anyone's time going to school to complain about it, If thats the way people feel then these are maybe the children who should be homeschooled by parents who can do such a better job than the teachers. And no I am not a teacher.
Well said Unicorn, what has to be remembered is the 'rights' of all the other pupils whose education gets ruined by the few who want to exercise THEIR rights.....

angela5
21-Mar-06, 14:10
Nobody's child is a perfect angel

Well said unicorn..:grin:

doglover
21-Mar-06, 14:44
I dont agree with that. My son is terrified of him he jumps every time the man shouts.

pultneytooner
21-Mar-06, 14:57
I must say that when I was at W.H.S, taking geography in Mr Trail's class that I never found him to be hard on myself or the rest of the kids.
He could discipline someone with a roar but hardly ever resorted to the strap, (to my knowledge), when it was allowed and many other teachers would use it as a matter of course, I know which I prefered and it wasn't the strap.
Teachers have a hard enough time disciplining schoolkids without parents trying to negate the teachers authority by complaining because their child got a rollicking at school, maybe this gives the kid the idea that they can do whatever they like and they are untouchable because mum or dad will go to the school and sort the teacher out.

cuddlepop
21-Mar-06, 15:22
A question that needs to be asked is how do the teachers rate him.
If they are behind him and respect his authority then the kids will notice this and realise there all pulling together.We have a very nice but weak head in our high school everyone no's this and the result is that HMIe have found major faults in leadership and staff moral.
Parents never complained half as much when i was in school.Even now i dont complain about teaching staff only leadership.
:o

angela5
21-Mar-06, 15:29
Teachers have a hard enough time disciplining schoolkids without parents trying to negate the teachers authority by complaining because their child got a rollicking at school, maybe this gives the kid the idea that they can do whatever they like and they are untouchable because mum or dad will go to the school and sort the teacher out.

Well said pultneytooner..

As for motopitcrew's comment on Mr Trail being a bully i have'nt heard such tripe..http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_207.gif

I for one will be glad to see him in Wick High School..he is respected amoung the teaching staff..

unicorn
21-Mar-06, 15:40
If you look at this old thread about school uniform for wick you will find even then motopit crew was against the authority of head teachers no matter who they were.
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4493&page=2

krieve
21-Mar-06, 15:56
I think Mr Traill will bring a very welcomed changed to wick high school.
What people forget is alot of the teenagers at wick high school don't get enough disapline and are left to run riots. not all teenagers are troublemarkers and most of them do respect there elders it is just all we ever here about is the troublemakers so if he can sort out the troublemakers surely this can only be a good thing for wick high school.

DW
21-Mar-06, 15:56
If you look at this old thread about school uniform for wick you will find even then motopit crew was against the authority of head teachers no matter who they were.
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4493&page=2
Very interesting reading eh?

I think we can all work out what kind of parent MP is............ clearly not supportive of the school

It also sounds as if he/she is a THurso parent so no worries there for WHS!! :[lol]

scorrie
21-Mar-06, 16:16
I must say that when I was at W.H.S, taking geography in Mr Trail's class that I never found him to be hard on myself or the rest of the kids.
He could discipline someone with a roar but hardly ever resorted to the strap, (to my knowledge), when it was allowed and many other teachers would use it as a matter of course, I know which I prefered and it wasn't the strap.

I also had no problems with Mr Trail, I rate him the best of the Geography teachers I had at WHS.

It was invariably the same old faces who got into trouble at School, if you behaved yourself there was never a problem. The fact is that some parents just can't accept that their little "darlings" can do any wrong. If parents took more reponsibility for their children's behaviour from early on it would allow teachers to get on with teaching and would make for a better learning environment for all.

Ann
21-Mar-06, 16:17
I was bullied by a teacher at one of my schools and in those days it was very unusual for parents to intervene. Their view was that if a pupil got a row they deserved it which I acknowledge was true sometimes.

However.... I KNOW they were wrong on many an occasion at this particular school because this one teacher was a detestable bully and was renowned as such. I was walloped over the back of the legs with the strap just for standing waiting to have my homework corrected. Not talking or carrying on, just waiting but somehow or other got on the teacher's nerves.

There is no guarantee that teachers can't be bullies same as there are police personnel who are bullies, bosses who are bullies, work colleagues etc., etc.

No, I am not a trouble maker and no, I never had to see a teacher about the behaviour of my offspring either. I just know that there are two sides to every story and I can assure you that if I thought a child of mine was being treated unfairly and frightened of going to school because of a teacher or bullying, I most certainly would intervene.

I wish my parents had but I think they were as intimidated as me by authority so I just had to suffer.

I do not know Mr. Traill but surely people would not brand him as a bully just for the sake of it. And we shouldn't judge as we don't know the children involved. There are some who deserve chastisement but let's not assume that motopitcrew's family need it.

Motopitcrew told us that his child was being bullied and in this age of enlightenment where we are assured that bullying will not be tolerated, surely that child did the right thing in going to his teacher.

As I said before, who are we to judge.

scorrie
21-Mar-06, 16:20
As a parent meeting with mr trail i found him to be a abusive bully . and thinks that he & his staff are the only people with rights at the school
he willnot let the children give thair side of the story instead he just shouts at them. when i went to complain about this he tryed to do the same with me
every time i tryed to say something he would just talk over me and not let me speak.however after being told by myself of his ignorance we resolved the matter. however my son was given detention by mr trail the next day for involving me in the dispute (morral of this tale you cant talk to a bully about bullying) it just dosent happen in his school

Wick high school you are welcome to him

And thair is a difference between respect & FEAR

What a load of Motopit!!

motopitcrew
21-Mar-06, 16:30
If you would read my post properly you would see that my son was the victem of a bully and went to Trail to tell what was happening but instead got shouted at by this madman about how he was a big lad how was it possable for this other boy to bully him and that bullying didnot happen in his school. that is what i complained about only to be spoken down to by this horible person. infact he tryed to bully me but met his match.

I would like to thank the people who sent pm's and would like to quote what was said but i wont out of respect

I would also like to know how my going to the school and complaining about my son being bullied and the schools refusal to do anything about it is undermining the authority of teachers or pupals.

And its no wonder that the people that you lot call lurkers dont post they are scared to express a opinion as you lot will just down them

ice box
21-Mar-06, 16:42
I personally think that Mr trail will be a good influence on wick high . as for him being a bully as motopitcrew stated i think that is a load of rubbish Mr trail is very well respected as a teacher and if he wasn't up for the job he wouldn't of got the post as rector. he has my full respect and if any one can do the job he can in turning the high school round .

all the best to Mr trail

motopitcrew
21-Mar-06, 16:49
Very interesting reading eh?

I think we can all work out what kind of parent MP is............ clearly not supportive of the school

It also sounds as if he/she is a THurso parent so no worries there for WHS!! :[lol]

why dont you just come out and say what you meen what kind of parent am i .
and at no time have i said that i dont support the school but if i have a problem with something or someone i sort it out

as for school uniform you show me the legeslation doccuments that says uniform is compulsary in a state school and i will abide by it other than that get off my back

DW
21-Mar-06, 16:51
I was walloped over the back of the legs with the strap just for standing waiting to have my homework corrected. Not talking or carrying on, just waiting but somehow or other got on the teacher's nerves.

Go on. Name the school, or at least the county...............

Undoubtedly what happened to you was assault and I would expect a parent to intervene.

scorrie
21-Mar-06, 17:37
As I said before, who are we to judge.

Equally, you cannot use your own experience to try to justify the possibility that Mr Traill may be a bully. I DO know Mr Trail, I was in his class for a few years and never saw any pupil being bullied. I would think that over a period of more than 30 years, particularly in these current, mamby-pamby times, that a bully would have been in trouble long ago and not have risen to the top of the School.

It is clear that the Motopitcrew has a problem with accepting authority. It would be pretty hard to bring that attitude to any discussion and hope to come to a meaningful resolution. It is claimed that the child was bullied, what proof do we have of that? We are all pretty good at making excuses for our children and it is probable that there are more than two sides to this particular story. One thing that I find to be true is that when one gives respect then one is more likely to receive it in return. If you go in with a McCain factory on each shoulder, it is more probable that you will be saying Goodbye Mr Chips!!

girnigoe
21-Mar-06, 17:43
So does anyone know when Mr Trail is taking up this post?

squidge
21-Mar-06, 18:05
Motopit has a view that is as valid as any of you lot however i dont like to see people named as "bullies" on a message board and any specific incident relayed which could lead to the identification of the child involved.

Equally however i am appalled to see people draw conclusions from motopits comments that are critical about his family and his parenting skills - these are quite personal comments which i think are uncalled for.

Now folks

WE have a saying where i come from that goes "I take as i find" we can only judge people on our dealings with them and thats what motopitcrew is doing and its the same as you are doing - who's to say that one isnt as isnt valid as the other. I have been here a long time now - not lurking anywhere just around - sometimes posting sometimes not but it strikes me that a little more care and consideration should be put into how you respond to someones opinons because other people's feelings can be hurt and you can be truly unpleasant at times. Sometimes people are unwelcoming and motopitcrew is right - why would new posters post if they feel their - equally valid - opinion is going to be laughed at and ridiculed and lead to questions about their parenting skills which are put across in a really snide manner. If you disagree with what motopitcrew says then disagree but there is no need to snigger and take a side swipe at him for saying what he thinks.

To my mind few of you have made any comments of value about Mr Traill - nothing about his leadership abilities, his intellectual capability; his ability to influence and negotiate what will happen with the school. No one has highlighted anything about his ability to pull Wick high school up by its proverbial socks and get better exam results; his ability to drive forward continuous improvments and to enthuse and motivate both staff and pupils. No one has mentioned whether he is objective, committed to equal opportunities and prepared to wipe away the small mindedness that often filters into places like Wick and sometimes into places like this message board.

Thats the stuff i would be interested in if my children were still going to wick academy

DW
21-Mar-06, 19:50
Thats the stuff i would be interested in if my children were still going to wick academy

I can't understand the relevance of the fact that your kids go to watch a Highland League football team! [lol]

bingo1
21-Mar-06, 20:29
I dont know the details mp but if i understand where you are coming from. Dont let these people wind you up anymore than Mr Traill has they just arent worth the bother. You know what happened and you know what like he is so let whs have him then they can see for themselves. goodluck to you and your child.

Raonaid
21-Mar-06, 20:38
I wish Mr Trail all success at Wick, I do hope the parents whose children attend Wick also support him by getting involved in the Parents & Teachers Association, because it was my experience that only a very small minority of parents took an active interest in this valuable group. Look what Thurso PTA have achieved raising money for a new mini bus. A successful school is a team effort from the headteacher, parents ,office staff, pupils, head of departments, teachers, cooks, cleaners ,janitors everybody part of the same school community with the same objectives. Without this feeling of working together to achieve the same goals even with the best head teacher in the world, will not improve a school. I hope a Mr Trail heralds a fresh start for Wick and that everybody works together to make Wick the best school it can be.

angela5
21-Mar-06, 20:41
I dont know the details mp but if i understand where you are coming from. Dont let these people wind you up anymore than Mr Traill has they just arent worth the bother. You know what happened and you know what like he is so let whs have him then they can see for themselves. goodluck to you and your child.

Wick High School did have Mr Trail...very respected teacher indeed.

DW
21-Mar-06, 21:08
Look, it doesn't really matter what we think aboot him, he's the boyo noo.
We can only wait and see what happens next.

bingo1
21-Mar-06, 21:34
Wick High School did have Mr Trail...very respected teacher indeed. Thats good they should be happy to have him back then. The very best of luck to him.[lol]

angela5
21-Mar-06, 21:35
Thats good they should be happy to have him back then. The very best of luck to him.[lol]

More than........

bingo1
21-Mar-06, 21:42
More than........LOL LOL ...[lol]

scorrie
21-Mar-06, 21:43
Motopit has a view that is as valid as any of you lot however i dont like to see people named as "bullies" on a message board and any specific incident relayed which could lead to the identification of the child involved.

Equally however i am appalled to see people draw conclusions from motopits comments that are critical about his family and his parenting skills - these are quite personal comments which i think are uncalled for.

Now folks

WE have a saying where i come from that goes "I take as i find" we can only judge people on our dealings with them and thats what motopitcrew is doing and its the same as you are doing - who's to say that one isnt as isnt valid as the other. I have been here a long time now - not lurking anywhere just around - sometimes posting sometimes not but it strikes me that a little more care and consideration should be put into how you respond to someones opinons because other people's feelings can be hurt and you can be truly unpleasant at times. Sometimes people are unwelcoming and motopitcrew is right - why would new posters post if they feel their - equally valid - opinion is going to be laughed at and ridiculed and lead to questions about their parenting skills which are put across in a really snide manner. If you disagree with what motopitcrew says then disagree but there is no need to snigger and take a side swipe at him for saying what he thinks.

To my mind few of you have made any comments of value about Mr Traill - nothing about his leadership abilities, his intellectual capability; his ability to influence and negotiate what will happen with the school. No one has highlighted anything about his ability to pull Wick high school up by its proverbial socks and get better exam results; his ability to drive forward continuous improvments and to enthuse and motivate both staff and pupils. No one has mentioned whether he is objective, committed to equal opportunities and prepared to wipe away the small mindedness that often filters into places like Wick and sometimes into places like this message board.

People who do not want their feelings hurt should not come on here making sweeping and potentially libellous statements. Show respect and consideration yourself and you might get some in return!!

We have a saying where I come from and that saying is, when you see a piece of writing beginning "We have a saying where I come from", you invariably find someone who is trying to occupy the moral high ground.

Motopitcrew has made it clear what their attitude towards headteachers is, that attitude is always going to make it difficult to try towards a solution to any problem with them.

As far as Mr Traill's abilities to do the job are concerned, that assessment and decision has already been made by people in more of a postion to make the judgement than any of ourselves. Surely that must be a more worthy and valid decision than one person labelling him a bully based on their experience.

ps I fail to see the logic in Motopitcrew's statement that Mr Traill tried to bully them but met his match. I would question who was bullying who, if that statement is correct.

squidge
22-Mar-06, 11:10
People who do not want their feelings hurt should not come on here making sweeping and potentially libellous statements. Show respect and consideration yourself and you might get some in return!!

We have a saying where I come from and that saying is, when you see a piece of writing beginning "We have a saying where I come from", you invariably find someone who is trying to occupy the moral high ground.

Motopitcrew has made it clear what their attitude towards headteachers is, that attitude is always going to make it difficult to try towards a solution to any problem with them.

As far as Mr Traill's abilities to do the job are concerned, that assessment and decision has already been made by people in more of a postion to make the judgement than any of ourselves. Surely that must be a more worthy and valid decision than one person labelling him a bully based on their experience.

ps I fail to see the logic in Motopitcrew's statement that Mr Traill tried to bully them but met his match. I would question who was bullying who, if that statement is correct.

I already said i didnt like the fact that motopit labelled the man a bully and by all means take his opinion apart Scorrie - thats fine - use evidence and facts and examples to illustrate that he is wrong or offer an alternative viewpoint. However sniggery comments like " I think we can all work out what kind of parent MTP is" and other such snide remarks add nothing to the debate and simply stop other people posting their opinions.

The sort of qualities i would like to see discussed are those that should not only have been evident to an interview panel but also to people within the school and connected to the school - this sort of anecdotal evidence would be useful to help people see that the man they are getting is a modern forward thinking effective headteacher.

And as for occupying the moral high ground im not sure why thats such a bad thing when so many of you like to pretend this is a school playground and resort to stupid and tiresome name calling that adds nothing of any value to any sensible debate.

DW
22-Mar-06, 12:29
the man they are getting is a modern forward thinking effective headteacher.

Define "modern forward thinking effective headteacher" ;)

squidge
22-Mar-06, 14:45
Modern

Understands and implements current thinking on education policy and strategy where it will benefit the school

an example of how this could be shown on this board by lay people might be something like "he put together an initiative to tackle poor attendance"

Forward Thinking

Looking ahead to what will happen in the future and working with parents to get the best from the pupils

an example of the sort of thing people could tell us might be "he has been really key to sorting out the school board and linking up with universities etc etc etc" or "my children say that the work experience programme has really improved because Mr so and so has been in touch with people from industry

effective

implements policies and procedures that work

an example might be " truancy has reduced since he started x, y or z" or my kids are happier since ...."

DW
22-Mar-06, 14:55
Way to go Squidge - that is an impressive array of definitions and I like the practical examples.

elaine
22-Mar-06, 22:50
Best of luck to Mr Traill!! What a lot of pressure for someone! (I don't envy him) Here's hoping he can do the business and turn the school around - fingers crossed!

He could call his Senior Management Team "The Traill Blazers" (oh dear)

or the uniform policy could be renamed "Search for the Holy Traill" (noooo)

Ah yes, he's going to re-vamp it - "Head to Traill" Aaahh - someone stop me!

LENSMAN
22-Mar-06, 23:18
Noticed that Mr Trail is 58 and Mr Manson is retiring at 60.
Surely Mr Trail will be in the job longer than 2 years.
Look forward to him starting, hope he kicks some butt.

brandy
22-Mar-06, 23:26
takes deep breath and tries to get thought in head out rationally *grins* sorry in advance if i ramble...
firstly.. no teacher at any point should ever scream , shout or roar at a student. as the teacher and adult.. they should be the ones setting the example.
eg violence begets violence.
if it comes to the point that the child/ young adult in question is so unruly as to be uncontrollable.. then either the parents should be called to pick said kid up .. and if that fails.. call police to remove kid from premises..
a teacher can not afford to become involved in a dispute like that.
also if a parent does have concerns.. and goes to head teacher as has been stated and head teacher is condecending and rude and ignores parents concerns.. and dares to punish child for something like bringing parents in.. then by all means go above their heads to the school board or what ever is equivilant here.. who ever thier bosses are. do not roar back at them.
me personally i would not put up with my child being bullied. if at the end of the day nothing is done i will report the problem to the highest authority i can .. take my child out of that school.. and do what needs be to protect my child.
at the end of the day it is our responsibilities as parents to care for our children , no matter what it takes.
i do not know the new head teacher.. have no opinion on him at all.
i have heard both good and bad on here.
so i have no idea.. but at the end of the day.. remember who is the adult and who is the child..
because they will follow our lead.
if we as adults allow the bullying to continue and do nothing about it.. then it will grow worse.
its not like it use to be.. where a bully was someone that would beat you up for your lunch money.. now we have reached a stage where children are dying by horrifying numbers..
where are childern are being sliced, and shot, and tortured at school on a daily basis.
where they are taking their own lives to exscape their misery.
i really sincerly hope the new head .. can make a dent in what is going on.. but guys.. we all have to help.
fight for what is right..
parents get involved.
fight for a zero tollerance policy..
these kids do not need to be in the schools with the children who are trying
to learn, to get an education..
and be something.
ok .. gonna stop now.. getting more carried away than i thought! *grins*

2little2late
23-Mar-06, 00:13
no teacher at any point should ever scream , shout or roar at a student. as the teacher and adult.. they should be the ones setting the example.

Have to disagree with you on this. Sometimes it's the only way to get through to a kid. Kids shout at teachers, kids are cheeky to teachers. If a teacher shows a kid they are not to be messed with then they will think twice about being lippy to the teacher.

If my kids are ever badly behaved at school I expect them to get punished by the teachers, even if it means shouting at them. Trouble is nowadays, too much political correctness.
Schools were far more disciplined when the cane and slipper were on the go. Just the thought of it was enough to put me off misbehaving at school.

Parents are to blame for the way kids behave at school with their attitudes toward discipline themselves. Parents should be setting the example not the school teachers. Teachers are there to teach the kids and oversee any problems the child may have while at school.

elaine
23-Mar-06, 00:26
firstly.. no teacher at any point should ever scream , shout or roar at a student. as the teacher and adult.. they should be the ones setting the example.

hmmm I also disagree. I don't make a habit of roaring at individuals but I have been known to. I use my "roar" sparingly so it has the full effect of letting the pupils know when they have majorly over-stepped the mark i.e. if the behaviour is violent, dangerous, extremely inappropriate or insolent. I think most teachers use a "shouty voice" when delivering a severe dressing down - the kids need to realise the seriousness of a situation right away - short, sharp shock - then maybe they might think twice about doing it again. We don't have many sanctions (and the kids know it) so if you can earn respect by being strong with them when they are young - it pays off later, then you don't have to roar at them (because they know you're a bit mental - heh heh only joking!!)

Sorry if you don't agree brandy, I wonder if you could keep your voice down if you were being sworn at, argued with, disrespected, your equipment being vandalised before your eyes, witnessing obscene gestures, hitting, kicking, poking, spitting, slapping each other, the list goes on..... Wow I just made it sound terrible, and actually didn't mean to get so heavy but it does grind my gears a bit when I hear that I should, "at no point shout at a student" HA!

brandy
23-Mar-06, 00:36
that is why when the child gets to that point that you have to scream or shout at them that they (the child) needs to be removed from the place.
when you are screaming and shouting it is showing that you have lost contol.
i didnt exactly mean it in the context that it has been taken.. but the point still stands. i meant it more as how it was written that the head teacher had "roared" at one child individually .. not as a class gone mad enmass..
i understand that at the moment that things are out of control.. i am speaking as how things SHOULD be not how they are.
that is why we are the adults and parents have to change things.
i belive in disipline in schools..
no problem with it actually.
however i do not belive in teachers ignoring children who are crying out for help.
i have had both types of teachers..
the ones that go far and above the call of duty to help you..
and those that just dont care. they have become so embittered and cynical that they have forgotten why they became teachers in the first place.
i do understand that at times it is hard. and that it is so frustrating that you want to jerk them up and just slap the crud out of them.
but until someone actually starts to change the way things are done.. its only going to get worse.

elaine
23-Mar-06, 00:55

No, not at all. I choose when and how I do it depending on the seriousness of the situation. It is very controlled and fair. I think we may have to agree to disagree on this!!
btw I'm not some screaming banshee and am pretty laid back as it goes. I'm just saying that in reality it has to be done sometimes to keep the kids and the classroom in order and more importantly, to keep them safe.

saxovtr
23-Mar-06, 12:52
a difference to wick high school?haha you havnt been up there lately then!!

scorrie
23-Mar-06, 17:31
that is why when the child gets to that point that you have to scream or shout at them that they (the child) needs to be removed from the place.
i didnt exactly mean it in the context that it has been taken.. but the point still stands. i meant it more as how it was written that the head teacher had "roared" at one child individually .. not as a class gone mad enmass..
i understand that at the moment that things are out of control.. i am speaking as how things SHOULD be not how they are.
that is why we are the adults and parents have to change things.
i belive in disipline in schools..
no problem with it actually.
however i do not belive in teachers ignoring children who are crying out for help.
i have had both types of teachers..
the ones that go far and above the call of duty to help you..
and those that just dont care. they have become so embittered and cynical that they have forgotten why they became teachers in the first place.
i do understand that at times it is hard. and that it is so frustrating that you want to jerk them up and just slap the crud out of them.
but until someone actually starts to change the way things are done.. its only going to get worse.

I don't agree with your sentiments at all. We do not live in a perfect world and never will do. It would be impossible to operate a system where you had to take Police into a school to remove anyone not doing what they are told. There is little enough Police cover to deal with the more serious problems as it is. In my mind Teachers need to have the authority to discipline Pupils, many parents clearly do not perform their duty in teaching their kids to show respect before sending them to school and to expect teachers to try to deal with unruly pupils, with no means of disciplining them, whilst still trying to teach those who are interested in learning, is totally unreasonable. No wonder nobody wants to go into teaching and exam results are getting so poor.

squidge
23-Mar-06, 18:00
i have a LOUD voice and havent hesitated to use it with my boys, their friends, a group of cub scouts which i used to help lead. " shouting loudly ENOUGH" often stops them in their tracks and pulls them up sharp. You get their attnetion and then you can do other stuff with them. My mother says sometimes "goodness you are so loud" but she forgets i learned everything i know from HER;)

DrSzin
23-Mar-06, 18:32
Has anyone else looked at the most recent school exam league tables (as published in the Scotsman on Tuesday)? I wish the new rector of WHS the very best of luck in his new job.

For the record, I'm with Elaine and Squidge on the "controlled scream" front. It can have devastating success when used sparingly.

scotsboy
23-Mar-06, 18:34
Used it today, worked a treat.

scorrie
23-Mar-06, 18:41
I wish the new rector of WHS the very best of luck in his new job.

I'd say he is in with a shout ;o)

scorrie
23-Mar-06, 18:46
Thanks to the person who left the comment "smalltown petty mindedness"

That was most courageous of you to leave it unsigned. I'd be willing to bet that my mind is a lot more open and probably much larger than your own. Go back to tapping on doors and running away, like all other bothersome and anonymous cowards.

Tristan
24-Mar-06, 19:19
Parents are to blame for the way kids behave at school with their attitudes toward discipline themselves. Parents should be setting the example not the school teachers. Teachers are there to teach the kids and oversee any problems the child may have while at school.

I think you have identified the main problem.

golach
24-Mar-06, 20:12
Have to disagree with you on this. Sometimes it's the only way to get through to a kid. Kids shout at teachers, kids are cheeky to teachers. If a teacher shows a kid they are not to be messed with then they will think twice about being lippy to the teacher.
If my kids are ever badly behaved at school I expect them to get punished by the teachers, even if it means shouting at them. Trouble is nowadays, too much political correctness.
Schools were far more disciplined when the cane and slipper were on the go. Just the thought of it was enough to put me off misbehaving at school.
You are so right 2little2late, I'm with you 100% and good luck to the new head master

emszxr
24-Mar-06, 20:24
i wish mr traill all the best in his new post as head of whs.
he was one of my teachers in ths and he was a great teacher.

bagpuss
02-Apr-06, 18:41
Giving my age away, I was a pupil at WHS when Messrs Traill, Inkster and Bruce were young teachers and the school was ruled with an iron rod by the late Mr Ross. In those days there was little to choose from between WHS and THS. Both schools had considerable success when it came to turning out pupils who were high achievers in all walks of life from physics to plumbing.

I dare say THS will be sorry to lose Mr Traill and WHS will be glad to get him back. WHS pupils need a strong leader who will set high standards and as a resident of Wick, I wish him all the very best with his new job.