PDA

View Full Version : Robert Louis Stevenson and Classic Books

Flashman
10-Jul-09, 08:56
My Grandfather passed me on two Robert Louis Stevenson books years ago which he won in a School Prize

I must admit I find Classic Books hardgoing due to the more formal use of language but although those two books passed to me, Treasure Island and Kidnapped are aimed at a young readers I found them both a joy to read.

Does anyone here reccomend some other Classic Books? I have read Rob Roy which I enjoyed and have the Three Musketeers which I am planning on reading at some point.

Also is anyone aware of any historical fiction books which center around Scottish History?

Kenn
10-Jul-09, 13:35
"The hanging Tree," by Alan Massie might be of interest, set in The Borders.

golach
10-Jul-09, 14:26
As a boy I loved all the Mark Twain books, as i got a little older, the John Buchan "Prester John" and that ilk, then as I got older still I developed a taste for John Prebble. I am not sure if these are classics tho'.
I could not get into Charles Dickens or Walter Scott, but I did and still do enjoy Lewis Grassic Gibbon.

Gleber2
10-Jul-09, 15:36
My Grandfather passed me on two Robert Louis Stevenson books years ago which he won in a School Prize

I must admit I find Classic Books hardgoing due to the more formal use of language but although those two books passed to me, Treasure Island and Kidnapped are aimed at a young readers I found them both a joy to read.

Does anyone here reccomend some other Classic Books? I have read Rob Roy which I enjoyed and have the Three Musketeers which I am planning on reading at some point.

Also is anyone aware of any historical fiction books which center around Scottish History?
Nigel Tranter wrote a host of Scottish historical fiction and are very enjoyable and easy to read. I think I've read all of them.
The Count of Monte Christo, Swiss Family Robinson and Black Beauty were some of my favourite books in my early years.

Flashman
10-Jul-09, 16:08
Nigel Tranter wrote a host of Scottish historical fiction and are very enjoyable and easy to read. I think I've read all of them.
The Count of Monte Christo, Swiss Family Robinson and Black Beauty were some of my favourite books in my early years.

Thanks, will look up Nigel Tranter this weekend when I have a spare moment!

Yeah The Count of Monte Christo is one of my fav films, will need to give the book a whirl too.

Gleber2
10-Jul-09, 16:40
Thanks, will look up Nigel Tranter this weekend when I have a spare moment!

Yeah The Count of Monte Christo is one of my fav films, will need to give the book a whirl too.
Tranter's Robert the Bruce trilogy is superb!:)

Flashman
10-Jul-09, 21:11
Tranter's Robert the Bruce trilogy is superb!:)

That's exactly the sort of thing im looking for! Thanks.:D

Aaldtimer
11-Jul-09, 03:15
Tranter's MacBeth is also a good one , with a wee bit of local interest...although he does bend dates a bit in that one, re Thorfinn the Mighty!
It's the only one I've found him dubious on accurracy.
His Montrose trilogy is great as well.
Also Alexander Dumas is superb with The Three Musketeers and the sequels, and the Count of Monte Christo is a masterpiece!
Sir Walter Scott is a deeve! I struggled through many of his, but they are quite interesting historically.
There's another fella who's name escapes me at the moment who is good ...I'll come back to that!:confused

Aaldtimer
11-Jul-09, 16:44
The other "fella" I couldn't recall last night turns out to be a wifie!:eek:

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/aol/redir?src=websearch&requestId=cc8c6aac773d59c5&clickedItemRank=1&userQuery=d+k+broster&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.collectingbooksand magazines.com%2Fbroster.html&title=%3Cb%3ED+K+Broster%3C%2Fb%3E&moduleId=matchingsites.jsp.M&clickedItemPageRanking=1&clickedItemPage=1&clickedItemDescription=WebResults

Flashman
14-Jul-09, 20:15
Tranter's MacBeth is also a good one , with a wee bit of local interest...although he does bend dates a bit in that one, re Thorfinn the Mighty!
It's the only one I've found him dubious on accurracy.
His Montrose trilogy is great as well.
Also Alexander Dumas is superb with The Three Musketeers and the sequels, and the Count of Monte Christo is a masterpiece!
Sir Walter Scott is a deeve! I struggled through many of his, but they are quite interesting historically.
There's another fella who's name escapes me at the moment who is good ...I'll come back to that!:confused

I have a copy of the Three Musketeers which I intend to read soon, right now im reading a C J Sansom book about a murder at a monastery set around the reformation and the start of the dissolution of the monasteries. It is quite good but I cant help thinking I have read bits of it before in another story.... "The Name of the Rose"maybe... im just not sure.

Sheer Genius
18-Jul-09, 14:51
What about Jekyll and Hyde. Oft quoted but seldom read. It's another R L Stevenson and quite an easy read, I think. Wonderfully atmostpheric.
And then there is the county's own - I think Highland River is a wonderful book - Neil Gunn's and Old Hector and Young Art is another of his that is easy to read. The trilogy by Lewis Grassic Gibbons is 20th century but early. It is a fantastic read. I recommend reading each of the three books in turn. Redgauntlet, Ivanhoe and Heart of Midlothian by Sir Walter Scott are worth a read and finally The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg is a wonderful ghost story.
Enjoy
Sheer genius

Gleber2
18-Jul-09, 15:00
What about Jekyll and Hyde. Oft quoted but seldom read. It's another R L Stevenson and quite an easy read, I think. Wonderfully atmostpheric.
And then there is the county's own - I think Highland River is a wonderful book - Neil Gunn's and Old Hector and Young Art is another of his that is easy to read. The trilogy by Lewis Grassic Gibbons is 20th century but early. It is a fantastic read. I recommend reading each of the three books in turn. Redgauntlet, Ivanhoe and Heart of Midlothian by Sir Walter Scott are worth a read and finally The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg is a wonderful ghost story.
Enjoy
Sheer genius
Aye, ye've good taste!!!!

Flashman
20-Jul-09, 12:59
Enjoy
Sheer genius

Nice one, will need to look a few of those up!! :)