PDA

View Full Version : Homebase

Chris Cormack
20-Mar-06, 19:13
Any one know when homebase is opening in Wick please.

ice box
20-Mar-06, 19:39
Any one know when homebase is opening in Wick please.

i heard it's april sometime cant wait .:p :p

TRUCKER
20-Mar-06, 21:43
I HEARD ITS OPEN ON THE 14th OF APRIL.

munchkin
22-Mar-06, 22:24
yes opening on the 14 april and it is 10% discount all weekend that came from the manager he was talking to folk in sommerfields i was being nosy

knightofeth
22-Mar-06, 22:29
Is that when most of the shops are opening then? Just I noticed Superdrug advertising in the Courier today and surely its a bit too late for them to interview and train their staff now. I really can't wait, it will be fantastic to be able to buy what you want when you want :D Especially Homebase, the local DIY shops are really going to be found wanting.

rainbow
22-Mar-06, 23:43
Superdrug opens on 7 April. They are only looking for an Assistant manager - they do have all their staff (it was an error in the local paper), and they are getting trained at present.

Lucy
10-Apr-06, 17:38
Roll on Thursday. I'll be the one waiting at the door for Homebase to open. As much as i try to shop locally the past week has been awful. We are trying to put in a new bathroom. The young lad in Plumb Centre had to look up a catalogue for every brass connection we need - finally went to Thurso and got all the bits no problem. Shearers DIY had all the plastic plumming we needed but no glue to put them together and only had 11/2 sheets of plasterboard. and the cream on the cake came when hubby went to the woodyard only to discover it is closed for a week - again a trip to Thurso but have to wait a couple of days for it to be delivered. Easter holidays for DIY but can't get the bits needed without spending hours tracking down what we need. Hurrah for Homebase at least we will be able to buy what we want when we want it and at a reasonable price:lol: :lol: :lol:

COACHMAN
10-Apr-06, 17:58
YOU WILL PAY OVER THE ODDS FOR WOOD AND PLASTERBOARD IN HOMEBASE:evil .THE SAW MILL:D IN WICK WILL BE CHEAPER.

windowman
10-Apr-06, 18:13
its opening on thursday 13th april

Lucy
10-Apr-06, 18:59
YOU WILL PAY OVER THE ODDS FOR WOOD AND PLASTERBOARD IN HOMEBASE:evil .THE SAW MILL:D IN WICK WILL BE CHEAPER.

We tried there this morning but shut for a week. As i said i do try to shop locally but even if i do paid over the odds at least i will be able to get it which is more than i could today. If the saw mill even put an ad in the Groat we would've been able to order in advance. Sorry but it think it is poor customer service.[disgust]

sam
10-Apr-06, 20:41
i'm sure they had a sign up outside homebase saying they are opened thursday the 13th

knightofeth
10-Apr-06, 20:50

Really? What are you basing this on? To be honest I would rather pay more to get the products I want when I want with the customer service that I expect. You can't get that in Caithness at the moment. The shop assistants treat customers as if we are a hassle.. and they always shut before the advertised time. At least with homebase you're getting what you pay for. Also anything I've wanted has been cheaper in homebase than bridgend etc. Although to be honest, money doesn't matter as much as customer service does. /rant

2little2late
10-Apr-06, 21:37
The good thing about the new retail park is that it will make all the other retailers who are in competition wake up. No more closing at lunch time. Supply on demand, cheaper prices etcetera. That is the only way these retailers will be able to compete. Sadly though, they won't. They have been able to exploit us for long enough.

At least now, we all have an alternative. If we want to stay loyal to the local retailer then we shall. I won't be shopping with the local retailers because they have never provided me with the customer service I would expect. Why close for lunch? Why close for half day? Since living in Wick I have hardly been able to buy clothes at a decent price for myself or my family. Macallans is far too pricey for me. I wouldn't even say they sell designer clothes (Not that I buy designer anyway). They sell unknown brands at high prices. Can't wait for Argos and New Look to open. Sad to say this will be the kiss of death for Macallans and possibly Woolies. All in the name of competition.

connieb19
10-Apr-06, 21:43
Sad to say this will be the kiss of death for Macallans No tick in New-look though..:(

2little2late
10-Apr-06, 21:51
No tick in New-look though..:(

The only reason Macallans give tick is because they know they are expensive and we cannot afford to pay the price they are asking all in one go.

New look is cheap enough to not need to buy clothes "on tick"

knightofeth
10-Apr-06, 21:58
The only reason Macallans give tick is because they know they are expensive and we cannot afford to pay the price they are asking all in one go.

New look is cheap enough to not need to buy clothes "on tick"

Can anyone tell me when New Look is opening? I need some new trousers but can't get them in any shops up here (local shops only sell 1 length which are WAY too short - New Look sells longer trousers :D). Yeah well anyway I would like to know as if I can get them up here I wont need to go to Inverness in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone help?

2little2late
10-Apr-06, 22:03
Can anyone tell me when New Look is opening? I need some new trousers but can't get them in any shops up here (local shops only sell 1 length which are WAY too short - New Look sells longer trousers :D). Yeah well anyway I would like to know as if I can get them up here I wont need to go to Inverness in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone help?

Rumour has it, New Look are catering for men, women and children too.

knightofeth
10-Apr-06, 22:05
Rumour has it, New Look are catering for men, women and children too.
Wow, how original :P Can't wait!

2little2late
10-Apr-06, 22:10
Wow, how original :P Can't wait!
I've just visited their website and they do have stores that sell mens clothes.
Also done a store search but Wick is not on it yet. There is a phone number, so it may be worth phoning and asking if the Wick store will also sell mens clothing. Then at least we will know.
http://www.newlook.co.uk/flash.html

knightofeth
19-Apr-06, 19:33
I've just visited their website and they do have stores that sell mens clothes.
Also done a store search but Wick is not on it yet. There is a phone number, so it may be worth phoning and asking if the Wick store will also sell mens clothing. Then at least we will know.
http://www.newlook.co.uk/flash.html

Anyone know when New Look is opening here yet?

Venture
19-Apr-06, 21:37
Had a peak in New Look premises when I was at Homebase and it has signs inside which say Men and Women.

rainbow
19-Apr-06, 21:52
I believe New Look is opening on Thursday 27 April.

taylor.4
19-Apr-06, 22:00
I believe New Look is opening on Thursday 27 April.New Look is selling both men and womens clothes not sure what age mens start at!

footie chick
19-Apr-06, 22:20
The only reason Macallans give tick is because they know they are expensive and we cannot afford to pay the price they are asking all in one go

Too true only thing is everyone will be wearing new look clothes now:lol:

George Brims
19-Apr-06, 23:03
2little2late wrote: The only reason Macallans give tick is because they know they are expensive and we cannot afford to pay the price they are asking all in one go.

Before there was Macallans there was Fred Shearer's. I remember one of our teachers at Wick HS (a southern incomer) being amazed to find Shearer's not only let you run up an account, but gave you a *discount* for paying monthly. Those were the days...

Lucy
20-Apr-06, 08:17
i think those were also the days when DE shoes allowed you to take home a few pairs of shoes to try then bring back the ones that didn't suit. You wont get that anywhere now nevermind in the new shops.