PDA

View Full Version : Late Night Shopping - Thurso

Flyermonkey
09-Jul-09, 13:26
Hi,

I have just had an email through saying that the shops in Thurso are staying open until 8pm tonight and every Thursday from now on.

Great news for those of us who work, so I will definitely be off out to do some shopping tonight. It would be good if they keep this up, so please go and support them!

bobbyrussell09
09-Jul-09, 13:47
anything said about this happening to the shops in wick

igglepiggle
09-Jul-09, 13:51
i think this is great news, i will definately use the shops that are open, there are a few shops that i thought would be open that aren't. i will still go to these in my lunch hour if i can but the others i will be supporting at nights more!! well done to the shops who have contributed, fingers crossed it will be busy nights!! good luck!

Kiwi
09-Jul-09, 15:30
Is there somewhere that lists which shops are opening?

The Angel Of Death
09-Jul-09, 16:07
Supprised this hasnt happened sooner with internet shopping and all that you would think shops would be trying to compete and adapt to the customers rather than were done at half five tough as well as the half day wednesday or thursday i cant remember which

bobbyrussell09
09-Jul-09, 16:15
Supprised this hasnt happened sooner with internet shopping and all that you would think shops would be trying to compete and adapt to the customers rather than were done at half five tough as well as the half day wednesday or thursday i cant remember which
usually wednesday lad,pointless it is

The Angel Of Death
09-Jul-09, 16:35
Exactly still cant believe in this day and age they still close for a half day and then start moaning no one shops here and its all tesco's fault etc

bobbyrussell09
09-Jul-09, 16:40
Exactly still cant believe in this day and age they still close for a half day and then start moaning no one shops here and its all tesco's fault etc
cant blame tesco,they just opened a shop like any other tom dick or harry has done

zeppellin
09-Jul-09, 16:48
cant blame tesco,they just opened a shop like any other tom dick or harry has done
Exactly, Tesco keeps all the 'rip off' merchants in check

bobbyrussell09
09-Jul-09, 16:53
i remember before tesco was even a twinkle in wicks eye .i used to work in safeway i think it was at the time ,grahame begg wasnt to happy when they got tvs and washine machines in,so if the small businesses can get prices close to the big retailers then maybe ppl will go back to them

igglepiggle
09-Jul-09, 16:54
there is an orange poster on some of the shop windows, it states which shops are open. Hope that helps.

The Angel Of Death
09-Jul-09, 17:12

Thats the point its always someone elses fault nothing to do with the fact that company x hasnt moved with the times and increased there hours stayed open for lunch or lowered there prices to compete

Way to many times have i bought electrical stuff locally and been ripped off now i check the price against what im looking for more for a laugh than anything else for example a new 37" tv built in freeview all included and i got it for £440 closest i could get local was well over £100 dearer for exactly the same model

Its a case of certain shops having it to good for far to long and now not likeing the fact that customers are voting with there feet elsewhere

zeppellin
09-Jul-09, 17:21
Thats the point its always someone elses fault nothing to do with the fact that company x hasnt moved with the times and increased there hours stayed open for lunch or lowered there prices to compete

Way to many times have i bought electrical stuff locally and been ripped off now i check the price against what im looking for more for a laugh than anything else for example a new 37" tv built in freeview all included and i got it for £440 closest i could get local was well over £100 dearer for exactly the same model

Its a case of certain shops having it to good for far to long and now not likeing the fact that customers are voting with there feet elsewhere
Good point, compete or fold, tht's what the free market is all about. These so called small businesses have been having it there own way for too long and we've all paid higher prices and lined there pockets in the process. Tesco is king.

The Angel Of Death
09-Jul-09, 17:26
exactly was the same we the petrol "cartel" who didnt want tesco's up here now me wonders why nothing to do with the fact that they could do what they want with prices etc they have all managed to stay open since tesco's came up havent they

zeppellin
09-Jul-09, 17:35
exactly was the same we the petrol "cartel" who didnt want tesco's up here now me wonders why nothing to do with the fact that they could do what they want with prices etc they have all managed to stay open since tesco's came up havent they
All but one, but the rest have fallen into line and to the benefit of the general public, thanks Tesco.

H
09-Jul-09, 20:13
Thanks guys for opening late - far better than trying to run round at lunch time.

bonami
09-Jul-09, 20:36
I remember an old wifie telling me that all the shops on Wick High St used to stay open until 10pm on a Saturday night. This was when Saturdays was a working day for most people. I imagine this was perhaps 50yrs ago. May be this is the way forward. She said the street would be very busy and shops did a big trade.

bky
09-Jul-09, 20:47
Concerning the late opening in Thurso on a Thursday night, Congratulations to Donnie Reid the baker, for at least making an effort, your "tasty bites" at the front door were lovely! Nice to see the cafe busy. To the rest of the shop owners, you could have tried harder. Well done to the pipe band fair enjoyed your tunes!

Flyermonkey
09-Jul-09, 21:12
Concerning the late opening in Thurso on a Thursday night, Congratulations to Donnie Reid the baker, for at least making an effort, your "tasty bites" at the front door were lovely!

Great effort by Reids! And good effort by most of the rest, particularly McAllans, the fish shop, 99p shop, butresses, cancer shop, serendipty, tickety-boo, the other gift shops (names escape me). I am sure I have missed some, so if anyone knows who else was open please add. It needs to be applauded.

Odd effort by Gunns the shoe shop - why close between 5pm - 6pm? I came out my work and came down to the shop to find it was closed but would open again between 6pm - 8pm, what's that about?

Be shamed M&Co, Graham Beggs and Regency Jewellers for not even bothering to open.

Ash
09-Jul-09, 21:18
what was happening on the street tonight, i could hear music ect, but daughter was asleep so couldnt head up

bekisman
09-Jul-09, 22:16
We try and support local stores.. but. I was after bubble wrap - needed quite a bit, but could not find it anywhere up here, so ordered it on-line; paid £27.00 for two rolls of 100 metres x 750 mm wide it was delivered by Citi-Link via AJG in 48 hours, can they beat that here?

ABC
09-Jul-09, 22:26
[quote=Flyermonkey;571500].

Odd effort by Gunns the shoe shop - why close between 5pm - 6pm? I came out my work and came down to the shop to find it was closed but would open again between 6pm - 8pm, what's that about?
quote]

Maybe the staff were due a break and could get their dinner? Atleast they were open

bobbyrussell09
09-Jul-09, 22:52
[quote=Flyermonkey;571500].

quote]

Maybe the staff were due a break and could get their dinner? Atleast they were open
would it not seem like sense to have a full timer on late an someone onto 6 an have someone in at 5 so dinner is covered

henry20
10-Jul-09, 09:19
To the rest of the shop owners, you could have tried harder. Well done to the pipe band fair enjoyed your tunes!

I'm not quite sure what you expect some shop owners to do - I know some offered discounts on all purchases last night. I also know that some places couldn't get staff to work the additional hours and had to draft in non-members of staff to help out! :roll:

piratelassie
11-Jul-09, 00:29
Yes its good Having Tesco's open so late, especially when coming off a back shift. and needing a few provisions + petrol as I live over twenty miles from town. :)

scorrie
11-Jul-09, 01:02
It's a disgrace. Why can't small businesses compete with Gigantic Multi-nationals?

Why don't any of the "Wise" orgers start up their own business, if it is so easy to compete with Tesco et al?

thirsaloon
12-Jul-09, 10:42
I think its great news that the shops are staying open a bit longer one night a week. Think this will be particularly useful for those who can’t manage to do shopping during their lunch break or work out with the town. Should help free up their weekends more.

Well done to Donald Smith who I think came up with the idea originally and put in a lot of effort to get all the proprietors of the shops to give it a try...well the ones that did open!

I couldn’t make it down myself that night but I have heard great feedback about Reid’s café/bakery and about how well they did. I think they really set the bar as to how it should be done. Good on them for trying to entice people to come in and spend rather than just open the door and hope someone will pop in and give them a sale.

If the shopkeepers can keep trying new ideas every so often and keep this going they could make this a great event for both customer and owner. Perhaps they can put their heads together and come up with other ideas. After all a lot of it is down to them and it’s their livelihood at the end of the day!

sweetpea
12-Jul-09, 12:39
I'm not quite sure what you expect some shop owners to do - I know some offered discounts on all purchases last night. I also know that some places couldn't get staff to work the additional hours and had to draft in non-members of staff to help out! :roll:

that's rubish there are plenty people looking for work who would jump at the chance. The shop owners must be awful fussy about who mans their counter.

henry20
13-Jul-09, 09:40
that's rubish there are plenty people looking for work who would jump at the chance. The shop owners must be awful fussy about who mans their counter.

I can assure you it is not rubbish! I meant that none of the current employees were willing to work the additional hours or adjust their hours to cover the later openings! :roll: