PDA

View Full Version : mobile phone directory

katarina
08-Jul-09, 18:40
did you know that from the end of this week all our mobile phones are to be included in a directory unless we opt out? I for one would find it irritating to get lots of spam by mobile as well as every other method.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/8091621.stm

Vistravi
08-Jul-09, 19:38
I would not want my number made public in this.

Isn't the point in having a mobile to have a private number?:confused

ShelleyCowie
08-Jul-09, 20:08
That is mental! [evil]

I have had my mobile number changed a few times because of people bothering me. Dont want it to ever happen again! I watch who i give my number out to already!

Wonder how you can opt out of it then??

Karen
08-Jul-09, 20:12
If you go onto the web site www.118800.co.uk there is a section you can complete to opt out of the directory.

katarina
08-Jul-09, 20:34
If you go onto the web site www.118800.co.uk there is a section you can complete to opt out of the directory.

I tried it twice, still haven't got my code. I'm pay as you go - and Never give my phone number to any one I don't know - so maybe it's not on any data base anyway. (i hope)

Vistravi
08-Jul-09, 20:45
I tried it twice, still haven't got my code. I'm pay as you go - and Never give my phone number to any one I don't know - so maybe it's not on any data base anyway. (i hope)

I'm on contract now, been on it for 2 months. Cost too much on pay as you go. Forgotten already the hassles of topping up lol.
I wonder if its contract numbers that go on it? Pay as you go numbers would be hard to keep track off on this database.
Checking out that link.

Karen
08-Jul-09, 20:46
It worked for my son's pay as you go number, I put his number in even though it says it doesn't store children's numbers and a code came back to his phone.

Vistravi
08-Jul-09, 20:51
That is mental! [evil]

I have had my mobile number changed a few times because of people bothering me. Dont want it to ever happen again! I watch who i give my number out to already!

Wonder how you can opt out of it then??

I hate that shelley. Theres nothing worse than a pranker or someone harressing you via mobile.

I'm watching who gets my number as i'm stuck with it for 18 months if not longer. Its a drawback to contract but gives me plenty of time to memerise it :lol: I'm hopeless at remembering my number.

Vistravi
08-Jul-09, 20:57
They don't have mine. ;)

Vistravi
08-Jul-09, 21:07
It worked for my son's pay as you go number, I put his number in even though it says it doesn't store children's numbers and a code came back to his phone.

Oh no Karen. Thats not good. Can you get it to be taken off?

Karen
09-Jul-09, 00:00
Yes, they have removed his number :D

bobbyrussell09
09-Jul-09, 08:41
i hope since since am pay an go i dont get added to this , but am going to check this out anyway

golach
09-Jul-09, 09:01
I may be an old sceptic, but how is giving this web site your mobile number to have it included in their ex-directory listings going save you from cold calls and spam?
I suspect they are conducting a phishing exercise, and want you to add your number to their directory. And what can you do about it,nothing, you gave your mobile number voluntarily, they are not getting mine[disgust]

katarina
09-Jul-09, 09:19
I did think that too there for a minute, but since it is on the BBC web site.....
Well i did not recieve a code to unsubscribe it, so if I do start recieving spam I will just have to change my number.

golach
09-Jul-09, 09:31
I did think that too there for a minute, but since it is on the BBC web site.....
Well i did not recieve a code to unsubscribe it, so if I do start recieving spam I will just have to change my number.

But the BBC are not infallible, they get things wrong occasionally [lol]